Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Went to the doctor about a chest infection today. Was seriously considering bringing up the depression but chickened out at the last minute. Haven't been feeling too bad lately anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Went to the doctor about a chest infection today. Was seriously considering bringing up the depression but chickened out at the last minute. Haven't been feeling too bad lately anyway.

NC,

Hope you are feeling better and the chest infection clearing.

Why did you not raise the depression issue?

Depression can have physical side effects, high blood pressure, impact on the immune system etc..................When the immune system is a little run down , it is easy to pick up colds , flus and chest infections.

I am delighted you have been feeling not too bad lately.

Please take very good care of yourself. Remember your GP has your best interests at heart, don't be shy about talking to him, be it during a visit or a phone call if you feel you would like to revisit the depression issue.

Please take great care of yourself.

Best Wishes,

Del

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

You should have brought it up, depression is increasingly common and there's no reason you shouldn't if it benefits you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

tosspot15 wrote: »
    I feel really guilty and stupid when I'm in a good mood for seeking help for my depression/anxiety. This morning I felt like utter shít, then I went to the gym and now im feeling better. I still feel like I dont deserve any treatment and no healthcare professional will take me seriously if they see I can still feel good and go to places like the gym.

That's the kind of problem that had me putting off going to a therapist for years and years. When you you feel good, you think you don't need therapy (or you think they won't take you seriously). When you feel bad, you don't feel able for it.

Therapy isn't just about 'cheering you up', it can help you realise why you keep lapsing into negative/destructive behaviour, and then take steps to avoid / mitigate them. It can be a LOT easier to deal with if you go when you're feeling good, than when you're at a real low.

Chances are, if you book a session now, you'll go through several ups and downs before then - who knows what kind of mood you'll be in when the session comes around. It's like a mental lucky bag! :p

NC,

Hope you are feeling better and the chest infection clearing.

Why did you not raise the depression issue?

Depression can have physical side effects, high blood pressure, impact on the immune system etc..................When the immune system is a little run down , it is easy to pick up colds , flus and chest infections.

I am delighted you have been feeling not too bad lately.

Please take very good care of yourself. Remember your GP has your best interests at heart, don't be shy about talking to him, be it during a visit or a phone call if you feel you would like to revisit the depression issue.

Please take great care of yourself.

Best Wishes,

Del

Don't know why I didn't bring it up tbh, just couldn't find the words and didn't feel so bad so I would have felt silly had I brought it up.

Got something with codeine in it off her though and my God it does wonders for anxiety. This is the most chilled I've ever been in about 8 years. I could be outside and still feel as comfortable as I do when chilling in bed. It's not long term but I can certainly enjoy it while it lasts :D

• Advertisement

This is off topic but did anyone ever have a bad reaction to amoxicillin? I went back to the doctor but she said I was fine and to just stop taking the antibiotics. I feel faint and weak and nauseous and my heart is racing. I don't feel grand but if she says I am then I must be!

This is off topic but did anyone ever have a bad reaction to amoxicillin? I went back to the doctor but she said I was fine and to just stop taking the antibiotics. I feel faint and weak and nauseous and my heart is racing. I don't feel grand but if she says I am then I must be!

Any chance the antibiotic does not go well with depression meds?

Did you mention depression to your GP on this occasion?

Just relax and take good care of yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I don't want to speculate but the racing heart, nausea and faintness could be a side effect of the codeine.

Or anxiety.

You should go to the doctor to get checked out.

I'm not on depression meds.
    Yeah it could have been the codeine alright. I've stopped taking everything now anyway and just have to ride it out. Doctor said I'm grand anyway :L

If you're not better tomorrow go back and mention the depression / anxiety. Both can have a major effect on your physical health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm not on depression meds.
    Yeah it could have been the codeine alright. I've stopped taking everything now anyway and just have to ride it out. Doctor said I'm grand anyway :L
    Not a good idea to stop taking the antibiotic. You are supposed to finish the course.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Not a good idea to stop taking the antibiotic. You are supposed to finish the course.
    The GP said to stop the antibiotic.

Hersheys wrote: »
    The GP said to stop the antibiotic.
    Oops, my mistake! :o

Not your ornery onager

NC ,

Are you dealing with the same GP on each visit.

Please revisit your GP again and discuss the physical and emotional issues you are dealing with.

Anxiety and depression can cause a persons heart to race, blood pressure increases, including the depletion of the immune system leaving one susceptible to colds and chest infections.

Don't worry, I am sure your GP will wish to get you back on the road to good health.

Take very good care of yourself.:)

My sleep pattern has been completely ruined lately. I don't fall asleep until very, very late, often around 4-6 in the A.M. Last night I did nothing but stare at the ceiling for hours on end. Right now it's almost 6 in the morning and I have no urge to sleep, I just want to do things. I feel like reading books, doing exercise, watching movies and listening to music all at the same time. I don't know what to do with myself when I'm like this or what's causing it. Sometimes when I feel this way I'm also bursting with energy but at the moment I feel groggy and tired.

Earlier on today I was getting bad delusions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

My sleep pattern has been completely ruined lately. I don't fall asleep until very, very late, often around 4-6 in the A.M. Last night I did nothing but stare at the ceiling for hours on end. Right now it's almost 6 in the morning and I have no urge to sleep, I just want to do things. I feel like reading books, doing exercise, watching movies and listening to music all at the same time. I don't know what to do with myself when I'm like this or what's causing it. Sometimes when I feel this way I'm also bursting with energy but at the moment I feel groggy and tired.

Earlier on today I was getting bad delusions.

I've given up on any sort of pattern, i try to be rested enough for work, the rest of the week it's whatever.. I'm up two hours now, was in bed around six yesterday evening. It's not for everyone but it's kinda working for me..

I have a question for you btw, you said you are having delusions - i am having kind of what i call "shifts in reality" but i'm finding it very difficult to figure out what bit is real and what is not - is it similar for you?

I've given up on any sort of pattern, i try to be rested enough for work, the rest of the week it's whatever.. I'm up two hours now, was in bed around six yesterday evening. It's not for everyone but it's kinda working for me..

I have a question for you btw, you said you are having delusions - i am having kind of what i call "shifts in reality" but i'm finding it very difficult to figure out what bit is real and what is not - is it similar for you?

No, I wouldn't think so. I just start getting delusional about people around me and their intentions, etc. I suppose I find it difficult to discern what's real and what isn't because of how bad my delusions can become though....

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Having really frudtrating symptoms atm.

Home on holiday for a week. Went to the Clare homecoming and had a sudden big attack like I couldnt breathe on Sunday. Was fighting to stay until the end and did.

Chest has been crazy tight from the spasms caused by the anxiety. Waking up during the night like feeling that I couldnt breathe. Freaked out and had to ring my mate to calm me down. thought I was going to stop breathing, throat closing in and sharp pains in chest. Iknow its just the spasms though but this is the second holiday (last one being spain) that I have had sudden attacks. Its just my body relaxing but can be quite scary as I havent had an attack in months! My thoughts are ok though, nothing nasty there l, just symptoms.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I know you probably know this but drink lotssss of water, with ice if possilble. Do a lot of swallowing.

Also don't forget to hold your breath after breathing in, let the air 'swash' around in your lungs before releasing it. Remember, hold tension on an in-breath in your attention, when you release do the opposite, let as much of your body go as possible. repeat.

All the best.

I know you probably know this but drink lotssss of water, with ice if possilble. Do a lot of swallowing.

Thanks CMJ,

My water intake has been down about 1 litre a day and haven't been doing my TM which are big factors. Also, my diet has changed since home. Its tough to control it when the cupboard is full of sweets and biscuits....

Why lots of swallowing amd ice?

• Advertisement

I've been completely normal for most of today. No anxiety or shifts in mood whatsoever, which is interesting. Only negative is I'm not very happy either, but then again, I've become used to it.

ulinbac wrote: »
    Thanks CMJ,

My water intake has been down about 1 litre a day and haven't been doing my TM which are big factors. Also, my diet has changed since home. Its tough to control it when the cupboard is full of sweets and biscuits....

Why lots of swallowing amd ice?

Ah Transcendental Meditation? Have heard good things, is it essentially (I don't mean to reduce it) a mantra that is repeated?

I say the ice because it provides more of a sensation to focus on and the swallowing because I find just after a conscious swallowing my chest/stomach seem to release a breath in a way that is slightly different and can serve to recognise certain muscles that have become tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

No, I wouldn't think so. I just start getting delusional about people around me and their intentions, etc. I suppose I find it difficult to discern what's real and what isn't because of how bad my delusions can become though....

Have you talked to your doctor about these symptoms? Rings a bell from my experiences. Try to get into a stable pattern again.

Going through days with different sleeping patterns and having that "jetlag" effect can affect some people who are vulnerable to the symptoms you mentioned.

Have you talked to your doctor about these symptoms? Rings a bell from my experiences. Try to get into a stable pattern again.

Going through days with different sleeping patterns and having that "jetlag" effect can affect some people who are vulnerable to the symptoms you mentioned.

I have. Some days though no matter how little I sleep I still have loads of energy. Most days I'm just lethargic though, it's definitely not healthy. I need a stable pattern in my life from now on.

Ah Transcendental Meditation? Have heard good things, is it essentially (I don't mean to reduce it) a mantra that is repeated?

I say the ice because it provides more of a sensation to focus on and the swallowing because I find just after a conscious swallowing my chest/stomach seem to release a breath in a way that is slightly different and can serve to recognise certain muscles that have become tight.

TM is a specific mantra given to you. I think its one of the gods but its a word that has no meaning that you repeat in your mind and lwt it flow. You go to 4 hour long sessions, then get a free check-up sbout every 6 weeks for a year. I thought why would I need a check-up but they do help.

I get invited to group sessions but never go. Any other questions about it just ask. Thanks for the advice aswell!

ulinbac wrote: »
    TM is a specific mantra given to you. I think its one of the gods but its a word that has no meaning that you repeat in your mind and lwt it flow. You go to 4 hour long sessions, then get a free check-up sbout every 6 weeks for a year. I thought why would I need a check-up but they do help.

I get invited to group sessions but never go. Any other questions about it just ask. Thanks for the advice aswell!
    Herbert Benson is a doctor who studied it scientifically and in doing so 'revealed' the technique. He found it to be effective.

TM is expensive. Like a lot of simple, easily learned, techniques though, the value you place on it can be a reflection of how much you have invested in it. So, paying for it via the TM organisation might mean that you would come to believe in its effectiveness more easily than if you just read about it from the link above.

One important thing about the mantra is that it should be "any soothing, mellifluous sound, preferably with no meaning or association, to avoid stimulation of unnecessary thoughts".

It definitely does work for relaxation and mental calmness. You have to stick with it though.

Not your ornery onager

Yes the RED FLAG for me to do with TM was that it seemed like a closed-shop, not available publicly and protected in the way scientology is.

For me, if a method brings such good feeling to people and especially because it is not that complicated to explain, the users of the method would willingly share information so that other people would feel good and feel the same benefit.

Also, being 'given' a mantra is another RED FLAG.

I don't mean this as any sort of attack but I don't like people extracting money from desperate souls in the name of such life benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Yes the RED FLAG for me to do with TM was that it seemed like a closed-shop, not available publicly and protected in the way scientology is.

For me, if a method brings such good feeling to people and especially because it is not that complicated to explain, the users of the method would willingly share information so that other people would feel good and feel the same benefit.

Also, being 'given' a mantra is another RED FLAG.

I don't mean this as any sort of attack but I don't like people extracting money from desperate souls in the name of such life benefits.

Interesting Call Me Jimmy. Didn't realise TM was so exclusive and prohibitively expensive for most people.
    Esel wrote: »
    TM is expensive. Like a lot of simple, easily learned, techniques though, the value you place on it can be a reflection of how much you have invested in it. So, paying for it via the TM organisation might mean that you would come to believe in its effectiveness more easily than if you just read about it from the link above.

I understand what you're saying here, and while I certainly am not trying to discredit TM, can anyone explain the benefits they have experienced from it over any other form of meditation or relaxation.

murria wrote: »
    Interesting Call Me Jimmy. Didn't realise TM was so exclusive and prohibitively expensive for most people.

I understand what you're saying here, and while I certainly am not trying to discredit TM, can anyone explain the benefits they have experienced from it over any other form of meditation or relaxation.

I have found TM better than buddhist meditation. It takes less time and the mantra is like a focal point. You do it twice a day for 20mins. My psychiatrist has recommended TM and QiGong.

As for closed shop I dont see that. Initial cost for first 4 sessions is €600 and 400 for students and unemployed/couples. After your 4 sessionsof an hour, you get regular check ups for 12 months, so on the scheme of things its not that expensive.

When I told my shrink she was happy that I am doing it. Was recommended by a friend and both of us have seen large decreases in stress, anxiety etc. Since. After my first few sessions I had crazy nightmares but thus is common with stress release. They have classes but I dont paryicipate in these.

The mantra is a lot better than just focusing on the breath and I have found that my times of no thought when meditating now last longer.

To be fair its nothing different to any of the eastern cultures that invokve medirating. Even the US army use it not and PTSD has reduced by 50%. There are specials from CNN on it.

I was quite sceptic at the start and have only seen positives.

• Advertisement

As I said it wasn't an attack on it. Very happy it helps and qi gong is extremely interesting to me although I haven't practiced it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement