Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Good afternoon everyone, well done for making it this far in the day. If you've managed to blow your nose, pick your nose, fart :D any thing really, then well done.

Lukesmom what you said about having a physical illness, it's so very true but those attitudes are from people who have absolutely no understanding of what it's like to feel like we do. And if someone says theres nothing wrong with us...well, this morning was the first time /i showered in a week, first day I ate more than a packet of softmints, I run around the house to distract myself.....bet they'd say there's something wrong if they heard that ;)

Arf, sorry that you're having a bad day, I too find it hard to have quiet moments where my mind doesnt do cartwheels but ive started medication and that helps, well when they kick in.

I also had my first meeting with a therapist in pieta house, and hand on heart, it was such a relief to let everything out. Even just sitting in the sun room was so therapeutic, and the people there are so very very nice. So anyone who's feeling really bad I urge you to ring them. Sure you might as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Had to leave the cinema tonight because of an anxiety attack. Getting sick of this crap. Back to the doctor tomorrow I think.

Sorry to hear that, have you been on meds for your anxiety before?
    Do you know what brought on the attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 FruityCake

Had to leave the cinema tonight because of an anxiety attack. Getting sick of this crap. Back to the doctor tomorrow I think.

Good luck with the doctor, do you think you Wold consider meds if you aren't already taking?
    Haven't been in a cinema since 2009, damn you anxiety !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 FruityCake

arf91 wrote: »
    Feel like going on a downward spiral again.. how do u people regain strength when u least feel like it? Any tips I could use them right now.

I try talk to my mother or friends, force myself to get out into nature and listen to music.... it doesn't work ridiculously well or anything but... this isnwhat I personally do. Oh and trying to avoid triggers to make things worse.

• Advertisement

FruityCake wrote: »
    Good luck with the doctor, do you think you Wold consider meds if you aren't already taking?
    Haven't been in a cinema since 2009, damn you anxiety !

I'll take anything she'll give me. Was on xanax before but never went back for more. When I feel better from taking them I always tell myself that I don't need them anymore but inevitably I do.

Ask her about getting another prescription, i was given a 10 day of .25 and they're giving such relief.

If you're happy to take them then I think you should continue. Anything that quietens your mind is better than the alternative.
    And feel free to type it out here...in the words of embarrassing bodies.....

There's no shame.....we're all the same :p

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ciara GaGa

When going to a doctor or psychiatrist,Where do you even start?, like what do you even begin to talk about? The whole concept of sitting there and pouring out your feelings truly terrifies me, I feel like theres so much wrong but I just cant vocalise it, I dunno if that even makes sense...

Ciara GaGa wrote: »
    When going to a doctor or psychiatrist,Where do you even start?, like what do you even begin to talk about? The whole concept of sitting there and pouring out your feelings truly terrifies me, I feel like theres so much wrong but I just cant vocalise it, I dunno if that even makes sense...

I always start with the physical symptoms like shaking and panic attacks and tingling in hands and feet and then get onto the mental symptoms. It is hard and I do feel like an idiot doing it but doctors are very good and just listen and help you get the words out. Its not as bad as you think its going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Ciara I was the very same as you and still am to a certain point. My adivse to you is what I do.
    write down what you need/ want to say before you go for ur appt. Bring that letter with you.
    If you can't read it out yourself let the doctor or psychiatrist read it themselves.
    I know its cliche but they really have heard everything before so don't feel ashamed or silly.
    I've done this for years its only in the last while I've become comfortable to talk.
    Hope that helps a little

• Advertisement

I always start with the physical symptoms like shaking and panic attacks and tingling in hands and feet and then get onto the mental symptoms. It is hard and I do feel like an idiot doing it but doctors are very good and just listen and help you get the words out. Its not as bad as you think its going to be.

Thanks for that...really is a great help
    I know Im probably overthinking it all...

handbagmad wrote: »
    Ciara I was the very same as you and still am to a certain point. My adivse to you is what I do.
    write down what you need/ want to say before you go for ur appt. Bring that letter with you.
    If you can't read it out yourself let the doctor or psychiatrist read it themselves.
    I know its cliche but they really have heard everything before so don't feel ashamed or silly.
    I've done this for years its only in the last while I've become comfortable to talk.
    Hope that helps a little

Huge help...thank you
    Writing everything down is a great idea as I tend to go blank in these situations

I'll take anything she'll give me. Was on xanax before but never went back for more. When I feel better from taking them I always tell myself that I don't need them anymore but inevitably I do.

I found xanax great but my doc won't give me them anymore, im on seroquel now which works slow release.

Huge help...thank you
    Writing everything down is a great idea as I tend to go blank in these situations

So do I. It's not easy :) best of luck hope you get on well.

handbagmad wrote: »
    I found xanax great but my doc won't give me them anymore, im on seroquel now which works slow release.

Yeah they were good but she didn't give me enough or a high enough dose. Only .25 mg.

Yeah they were good but she didn't give me enough or a high enough dose. Only .25 mg.

I think docs are afraid to give too much as they can be habit forming. But I liked having some handy especially if I was out like you were tonight and felt an attack coming on.
    Hope you're feeling ok now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Went to bed pissed off earlier, knew it was a bad idea but could not think of one other thing to do.. Think i better call back hospital today.

Is it just me or are the mornings the worst?
    Im waking up in sheer panic and the thoughts that terrify me are there again.
    So, im falling asleep but then having this every morning.
    Good god above!

Hope everyone is doing ok, gremlin, call the hospital and see what they say, see it as being a positive step...who the f**k am I to talk, im in the middle of a meltdown :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks Chiquitita i'll hopefully get up the nerve later this afternoon, i'm hoping to get through to someone different as whoever was on the phone last time was quite kinda rushed or short with me.. Honestly, some administrative staff in some places need just a wee bit more sensitivity, hopefullly today or tomorrow i'll manage it.. Feeling kinda nervy today so not sure.. Have to pick up meds and stuff tomorrow so i might catch myself out while i'm being a little industrious i think.

Great part of being anxious is being too anxious to tell the doctors...gas really isnt it!

Some people really arent nice I agree with you, especially when they're in this specific area. Try not let it get you down, I hope that you'll be able to find the strength to talk tomorrow, but for now, well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Was at the funeral of a childhood/teenage friend who took his own life over the weekend.Only 28.I'd not spoken to him in months and we had drifted apart over the years so I was shocked when I heard the news,but it didn't really hit me until the funeral this morning.Talking to his parents and siblings,seeing his picture on the casket and hearing some of his favourite music being played at the cremation.Hit me like a tonne of bricks and I've been crying my arse off ever since I got home a few hours ago.Feel guilty that I didn't make more of an effort to meet up with him,and that I don't really have much right to be so upset over his passing.I'm terrible with dealing with my emotions anyway so its probably just me being overly sensitive.

I've met some great medical staff, but the office/admin staff seem overstaffed with rude/don't give a fcuk types. Or maybe i'm being to negative, but surely a little understanding would go a ways to easing tensions.. I've attended hospital for physical reasons for some time, and it seems a different situation altogether - have ongoing pain issues and the neurology and pain clinic staff have been mostly wonderful.

It's disheartening alright but don't let it get to you. There are so many nice people out there who want to help...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LanaFey

Very sorry to hear that you're having a tough time finding help Gremlinertia :( some people can be very unsympathetic and it doesn't make an already bad situation any easier.

I got very down last night, it's been building up all week. Ended up crying for a little while again. I wonder if all these crying episodes/mood swings might be related to the medication, I'll bring that up at my next GP visit. I'm not sure if the crying is a good or bad thing really, as typically I find it very very difficult to cry and 'let it out' which was one of the reasons I was prone to self harm in the past.

Couldn't get through to the therapist on the phone. I left a message, haven't heard anything back.

However, I feel pretty okay today. Not amazing, but fine. I think I'll be able to have a fairly relaxed, anxiety free evening tonight, which is nice.

It's possible that the crying is related to the meds or it could be all the pent up sadness finally releasing.
    Hope you hear from your therapist soon. On a brighter note im glad you're feeling ok today, nice little feeling isnt it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Was at the funeral of a childhood/teenage friend who took his own life over the weekend.Only 28.I'd not spoken to him in months and we had drifted apart over the years so I was shocked when I heard the news,but it didn't really hit me until the funeral this morning.Talking to his parents and siblings,seeing his picture on the casket and hearing some of his favourite music being played at the cremation.Hit me like a tonne of bricks and I've been crying my arse off ever since I got home a few hours ago.Feel guilty that I didn't make more of an effort to meet up with him,and that I don't really have much right to be so upset over his passing.I'm terrible with dealing with my emotions anyway so its probably just me being overly sensitive.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Suicide is becoming too regular I've lost two friends myself this way. You've every right to be upset you are human with feelings, don't beat yourself up

F**k it anyway! By taking that xanax this morning I had a nice calm day and now im going up the walls!

Chiquitita wrote: »
    F**k it anyway! By taking that xanax this morning I had a nice calm day and now im going up the walls!

Do you not have any more?

I do, but I don't want to become too reliant on them. Ive started doing breathing exercises though and they're working, might sleep in the kitchen though, not sure the isolation of my bed will do me favours (usually most favourite place)

How are you? x

• Advertisement

Chiquitita wrote: »
    I do, but I don't want to become too reliant on them. Ive started doing breathing exercises though and they're working, might sleep in the kitchen though, not sure the isolation of my bed will do me favours (usually most favourite place)

How are you? x

Good tired ready for the leaba

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement