Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Hi, I've been having a problem lately. Every now and then I stay up thinking about everything and I'm left unable to sleep, this leads to me staying up all night and eventually falling asleep in the morning, completely messing my routine up and leading to me staying in bed for hours on end depressed even when I do wake up. Has anyone else got this problem? and anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get back on a normal sleeping schedule when this does happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Hi, I've been having a problem lately. Every now and then I stay up thinking about everything and I'm left unable to sleep, this leads to me staying up all night and eventually falling asleep in the morning, completely messing my routine up and leading to me staying in bed for hours on end depressed even when I do wake up. Has anyone else got this problem? and anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get back on a normal sleeping schedule when this does happen?

This!! This exact same thing happens my son and can take weeks to return to a normal pattern. It seems the harder he tries to get a schedule back the harder it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ciara GaGa

Story of my life!! It makes functioning on a day to day basis impossible
    I dunno I tried cutting down on coffee and exercising during the day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Same kinda problem here, sometimes i try establish routine, but if it makes my thinking too confused and dangerous i have to give in and put on the tv or some other distraction. Routine does work though if you can stick to it, meditation/mindfulness/whatever ya want to call it is important though.. Rumination or negative thinking is the main prevention to sleep for me, so i listen to a cd that i try to relax with.. It is, of course, lots easier said than done..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

The more I can't sleep the more anxious I get :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Same here, which is why when i feel my mind spinning i get back up for a while. Can't do anything else really.. Sometimes if i stay in the cot i can feel physically paralysed so i'd rather be up than that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Im feeling very lonely today. Can't remember the last time someone gave me a hug or made me feel wanted or special.
    Id love someone to curl up wit and watch movies for the day :(
    Feeling sad or maybe just sorry for myself

handbagmad wrote: »
    Im feeling very lonely today. Can't remember the last time someone gave me a hug or made me feel wanted or special.

Similar boat here.. My dog is great an all but i miss people.. Most of mine are abroad or dead.. Suppose it being a miserable grey day is reflecting a bit. :( Wallow in self-pity on couch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Been more or less fine the past few days and then suddenly I just started bawling out of no where and couldn't stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Similar boat here.. My dog is great an all but i miss people.. Most of mine are abroad or dead.. Suppose it being a miserable grey day is reflecting a bit. :( Wallow in self-pity on couch day.

yeah couch day here too. Sorta sick of couch days alone though. Think I'll get some wine later keep me company!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 LanaFey

The loneliness is a killer... that's one of the things that frustrates me most, it's like the depression has completely robbed my ability to enjoy my own company. There were times where I could be fine and happy on my own for hours or days, reading books or whatever. Lately I can't stand being on my own. It doesn't help that my housemates seem to have their boyfriends in the house 24/7 at the moment and that just drives home how lonely I am.

My boyfriend is away and I probably won't get to see him for another week or so. Lately I'm very anxious/paranoid about our relationship and I am really starting to hate myself over it. Logically I know I have no reason to worry but my mind will start obsessing over things he's said and done and whether or not they could be signs of an imminent breakup and eventually I work myself up into a total panic.

I had a good evening last night but ended up crying and unable to sleep, today I just feel weighed down.

Some distractions planned over the weekend so that's something at least.

Sometimes i'd just love to be in some sort of relationship, i love hugs and closeness and cuddling up, but mostly negative thoughts break in and the usual pattern of thoughts like who would have me and why would you inflict yourself on someone start roaring in my head so i try not to think about it too much..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Unfortunately Gremlin, I'm in somewhat the same position and the only answer is those negative thoughts have to go. I'm as far away as you from having confidence that I can do that, but I think when we accept they REALLY have to go, that the heart REALLY stops beating and we make up our minds to challenge them with faith we can get somewhere!

In my case i know it'll be something that will have to be discussed in therapy, between some strange beliefs i have and how deeply ingrained some ideas are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My anxiety is currently making it impossible for me to go to College :(

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Feel for you all this evening :( if ye can at all find a distraction jump on it. Telly, magazines, walking, jumping off the walls :D TGIF?! :S more like TGIt'sNearlyBedtime.

Had a great discussion with my doctor today, he's a wonderful person. Genuinely nice and caring.

Discussed the difference between mood disorders and thought disorders, I have the latter.
    Is there anyone else in the same boat?

I did once meet a pretty decent guy in the hospital, time seemed limited though but he said i was presenting symptoms/signs of a personality disorder, no idea if that even in a relatable kinda zone to mood or thought disorders - some many terms and theories the mind boggles.

That's true, there's a fine line between them all...the only thing they have in common is making us feel shiiiiite!!

And it's usually best not to try read up on them, because in my case i only want to do that when i'm down and therefore i'll self-diagnose as brain dead or some such!.

Haha :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

handbagmad wrote: »

I can relate so much to that. I hate feeling lonely and it can be so hard to shake sometimes.

I'm also wondering if there's going to be a beers or a meeting planned for the posters in this thread. I'd be interested in going, if my anxiety doesn't stop me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Suas11 wrote: »
    I'm also wondering if there's going to be a beers or a meeting planned for the posters in this thread. I'd be interested in going, if my anxiety doesn't stop me.

I've never been to a beers. They are meant to be crazy fun. Like you said, the anxiety could stop me going.

I have a feeling there was a meeting for people on this thread, i didn't pay close attention because i work weekends and my nerves mean i doubt i could attend anyway.. I'd say it would be good for some to have faces for the names but personally i think i prefer the internet anonymity, least for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

There was indeed. But no one showed up.

For those of you who find the evenings hard, hope things are ok.

Eating hot ambrosia rice here...quite tasty!

I'm sitting here trying out an online support thing. Not looking good.. They are speaking too neutrally which vexes me.. No wonder i'm so messed up, nothing is right for me..

Is it an Irish site? Are you not getting any relief from it at all?

Nope english i think. Thay talking too much like the samaritans, very neutral with no real human tone.. I suppose they may have to adopt that way of doing things..

Have you ever done any of the aware things online? Some people really enjoy them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Chiquitita wrote: »
    Have you ever done any of the aware things online? Some people really enjoy them

I've never tried the online ones. I've been to a couple of their meetings though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement