Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Took a Xanax last night before bed as I was feeling a bit stressed. Got to sleep ok but woke again early, around 4.30am and sort of dosed since.

I'm not feeling as stressed today which is good, but part of me is thinking that's bad as I feel like not worrying is just asking for trouble. I also hate the way I constantly doubt myself.

Anyone else get like that?

Stay with the deep breaths and that, least you managed some sleep so will count that as bonus. Hopefully your stressful time will be over soon..

Thinking of you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

handbagmad wrote: »
    Feeling very tired n run down today. Have cold sores on my lips I look like death.
    So tired yet no sleep!
    Hope everyone is hanging in there xx

You know, you might actually be physically run down, i've had a recurrent sore throat the last while, and the odd mouth ulcer. Had forgotten that used to happen me a lot when i was younger.

Something that i often mess up is looking after basic physical needs for health when my mind is always spinning away.. Keep an eye on yourself for stuff like that, doesn't need a mad overhaul of the way you live - that'd be too much to ask of me for one! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gossamer

Hi everyone,

I was prescribed Lexapro by my GP today for depression and anxiety. I'm wondering how other people found this? I know it takes 2-3 weeks to work properly but I'm worried more-so about the initial side effects. One particular review of it said they felt like a zombie whilst taking it, having said that I know it'll effect everyone differently. I asked my GP about side effects etc, and she just said I'd feel particularly down the first day of taking it and after that just nauseous really. I did a quick search on boards already but some up-to-date opinions would be nice. Thanks.

gossamer wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I was prescribed Lexapro by my GP today for depression and anxiety. I'm wondering how other people found this? I know it takes 2-3 weeks to work properly but I'm worried more-so about the initial side effects. One particular review of it said they felt like a zombie whilst taking it, having said that I know it'll effect everyone differently. I asked my GP about side effects etc, and she just said I'd feel particularly down the first day of taking it and after that just nauseous really. I did a quick search on boards already but some up-to-date opinions would be nice. Thanks.

It'll be a bit different for everybody, and beware doctor google, people are very quick to post negative things about their individual experience, but rarely do people go out of their way to praise. There is anecdotal evidence, as far as i know, that some meds can make you feel a bit worse before better, but use your doctor for advice there. You need to keep in contact with your doctor/hospital team while adjusting so that you find the right type of med and dosage level. I kept talking to my doc on a monthly basis for the first six months to have a professional keep an eye on my status..

Welcome to the thread, hope you feel better..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LanaFey

I agree with Gremlinertia to be wary of Dr. Google as reading online reviews really scared me when I first went on Lexapro about 6 weeks ago.

It will be different for everyone, but personally it has not made me feel like a zombie or anything. I was very tired and a bit nauseous the first week or so but my energy levels have increased since and I'm able to do more than I was before I went on it, like exercising.

It hasn't miraculously cured me or anything but I've had a few really good days amongst the bad that have given me hope it might work. Best of luck to you.

How's everyone doing this week? I've been keeping myself really busy, haven't been sleeping but at the same time it hasn't bothered me, I feel almost manic this week. On the plus side it means the house is very clean (silver lining!). Still end up crying 2-3 times a day, often for no apparent reason, I don't understand it. Yesterday I didn't cry but I was in a ragey mood for most the day, actually angry, which isn't like me. I snapped at my boyfriend over text and I still feel terrible about that today :(

• Advertisement

LanaFey wrote: »
    I agree with Gremlinertia to be wary of Dr. Google as reading online reviews really scared me when I first went on Lexapro about 6 weeks ago.

It will be different for everyone, but personally it has not made me feel like a zombie or anything. I was very tired and a bit nauseous the first week or so but my energy levels have increased since and I'm able to do more than I was before I went on it, like exercising.

It hasn't miraculously cured me or anything but I've had a few really good days amongst the bad that have given me hope it might work. Best of luck to you.

How's everyone doing this week? I've been keeping myself really busy, haven't been sleeping but at the same time it hasn't bothered me, I feel almost manic this week. On the plus side it means the house is very clean (silver lining!). Still end up crying 2-3 times a day, often for no apparent reason, I don't understand it. Yesterday I didn't cry but I was in a ragey mood for most the day, actually angry, which isn't like me. I snapped at my boyfriend over text and I still feel terrible about that today :(

Glad to hear you're doing well, don't beat yourself up over a snap.. It happens, i don't have a partner, but the couple of close friends i have understand that i can be changeable, to put it mildly :o hopefully your bf understands too. Say sorry, and draw a line under it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

I agree with others, don't Google stuff. Even my Dr told me not to do that. If you are prone to any sort of anxiety or depression (like me) looking up google can quite often make you worry unnecessarily about things and make things seem worse, even if they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LanaFey

Glad to hear you're doing well, don't beat yourself up over a snap.. It happens, i don't have a partner, but the couple of close friends i have understand that i can be changeable, to put it mildly :o hopefully your bf understands too. Say sorry, and draw a line under it..

I'm constantly terrified of annoying, disappointing, or angering people and if I do I just feel absolutely awful! That's catastrophic thinking for you. Turn down an invitation to go out = my friends will never speak to me again. Snap at my boyfriend = he will break up with me and hate me forever.

God, it all sounds so silly and trivial written down like that.

LanaFey wrote: »
    I'm constantly terrified of annoying, disappointing, or angering people and if I do I just feel absolutely awful! That's catastrophic thinking for you. Turn down an invitation to go out = my friends will never speak to me again. Snap at my boyfriend = he will break up with me and hate me forever.

God, it all sounds so silly and trivial written down like that.

Believe me i understand, at times i feel like i'm constantly walking on eggshells, often rehearse the way a conversation may go in my head if i know i'm going to run into someone. Fairly embarrassing admitting that but it's what i do.. It's probably why i prefer texting, emailing etc. Don't worry, i for one won't be judging. :o

I will see your catastrophising and raise you.

Wasn't that worried about something, stupidly read a similar thread about it on boards.ie, went into the deepest darkest spiral of my life worrying about it, assumed it was inevitable and my life was over and that I can't cope with the stress and worry any longer and there is only one way I can make the worry and stress go away for good...

Thankfully I'm not actually at that point and I'm not going to go through with it but it's bad that the thought entered my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

You know, you might actually be physically run down, i've had a recurrent sore throat the last while, and the odd mouth ulcer. Had forgotten that used to happen me a lot when i was younger.

Something that i often mess up is looking after basic physical needs for health when my mind is always spinning away.. Keep an eye on yourself for stuff like that, doesn't need a mad overhaul of the way you live - that'd be too much to ask of me for one! :o

yeah im physically run down or im bet as my grandfather would say.
    ha ha an overhaul of the way I live trying to do that wit years to no success lol
    Too much coffee and cigarettes in my diet ;-)

Don't think overhaul, that, well to me, is too large and daunting a thing, i measure it in minor adjustments to things, simple one i managed was to reverse my spuds to veg ratio. Taken up drinking more water. That's about it.. I'm not a very motivated person so have to go little steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I'm always afraid of annoying my family whenever I talk to them about how I feel. They always encourage me but I can't help but think that I can go on and go about it sometimes.

I'm always afraid of annoying my family whenever I talk to them about how I feel. They always encourage me but I can't help but think that I can go on and go about it sometimes.

Better to talk a bit than bottle it up, it's good you have people around you willing to talk with you. If you feel like you are spending too much time, perhaps limit it to four questions or a half hour or whatever suits you. Not something that needs to be strictly adhered to because sometimes the conversation could be interesting and warrant further time.. Or less, remember it's down to you...

Better to talk a bit than bottle it up, it's good you have people around you willing to talk with you. If you feel like you are spending too much time, perhaps limit it to four questions or a half hour or whatever suits you. Not something that needs to be strictly adhered to because sometimes the conversation could be interesting and warrant further time.. Or less, remember it's down to you...

That's good G :)

I moan an awful lot though. I'm fed up of being so negative. I'll need to try and keep a positive mindset from now on.

I'm a whingebag if i don't watch myself, but i distribute it over a few places, just so no one gets a day of it.. Some days its like the wind is constantly blowing against me and everything is wrong and there's no positives to be found. It's just the way some days are i guess.

Couldn't go to school. Broke down in tears and couldn't even get full sentences out to my mam. Probably scared her to death. Going to the doctor next week (during my mocks!). Feel pathetic. Can't concentrate on anything and everyone keeps telling me to exercise.

Don't beat yourself up over missing school.. Getting help for your noggin is far more important, it'll help you finish school and continue on to further education and employment - it's heartening to hear your mam is with you on this, you have a fantastic ally there. Keep posting here too, it's a decent enough place to rant away..

I was in tears a bit too this afternoon watching clips of Conor O'Cusack talk about depression.

I didn't go to work today, called in sick. Felt like I got a mini panic attack a while ago, thankfully I had some Xanax and a couch to lie down on. I can't believe I've let myself slip so badly. This time last week, I was fine. It just feels like some horrible dream but there is a tiny small voice of reason telling me I am overreacting, but it just gets stomped on and drowned out almost straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Looking forward to my psychology session in the morning. And to telling him that I haven't obsessively used Google to look at my meds withdrawal effects, not even once. Which is a big achievement for me.

• Advertisement

I was in tears a bit too this afternoon watching clips of Conor O'Cusack talk about depression.

I didn't go to work today, called in sick. Felt like I got a mini panic attack a while ago, thankfully I had some Xanax and a couch to lie down on. I can't believe I've let myself slip so badly. This time last week, I was fine. It just feels like some horrible dream but there is a tiny small voice of reason telling me I am overreacting, but it just gets stomped on and drowned out almost straight away.

You'll need a few days after this amount of anxiety to calm down and re-find your level, but you will.. Just make yourself a priority for now, even if you can't see why you should..

You'll need a few days after this amount of anxiety to calm down and re-find your level, but you will.. Just make yourself a priority for now, even if you can't see why you should..

I guess you are right. Although part of me would like to just get some doctors to make me sleep for the next few weeks and then wake me up and hopefully the problems will have gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Krypton just a few days ago I said the very same thing. It didnt happen but im feeling a little bit better than I was then. You too will begin to feel a little too. Take the tiniest of steps and share your feelings here

I really hope so. I'm going through peaks and troughs. Well more like the slight relief you get when breathing some air briefly while drowning!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

:( know it well, this might be a strange one but what I started to do when I couldnt do the whole breathe in breathe out thing was say the alphabet in my head and imagine i'm writing it. Then if the bad thoughts and worries come back I have to go back to the start...

For anyone who suffers from panic attacks, here's my way of getting some relief.

About a year ago I had a chest infection and was on antibiotics for it. I was in the bathroom started to get a panic attack, brought on by all sorts of bad thoughts. I felt like I was going to faint and didn't think I was going to make it to my bedroom. So instead, I just lay down on the floor in the bathroom on my side as the panic attack, rapid breathing and sweating continued. Within about 60 seconds, my breathing had returned to normal and I felt almost 100% better.

If it happens to you, try that technique out. Cold tile floors are good but just laying down on your side should help.

I used to find Olbas oil good to sniff when anxious, like it sorta gets your breathing in order.

Do you ever feel like when you are depressed or anxious, you shouldn't enjoy anything or have anything positive in your life? I always feel like when I'm down, I shouldn't have any enjoyment as that is just tempting fate to make things worse.

One other thing. I have recently got into nutritional therapy. A documentary I watched said that a few handfuls of cashew nuts give the therapeutic equivalent of a prescription dose of Prozac. Although these would be the raw natural cashews, not flavoured/roasted/salted or anything.

I also own a juicer and one juice I make can really help with my anxiety, although if I leave it too long, sometimes it doesn't. I take 2 green golden delicious apples, a good load of spinach, 4 long stalks of celery, 1 full cucumber, half a lemon and a good chunk of raw ginger and juice the lot. it won't cure everything but it should hopefully help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Do you ever feel like when you are depressed or anxious, you shouldn't enjoy anything or have anything positive in your life? I always feel like when I'm down, I shouldn't have any enjoyment as that is just tempting fate to make things worse.

Yes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement