Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

No energy feeling very unwell. Really don't feel guilty about couch hogging for a while. A few days to shut the world out.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

I cant even concentrate enough to watch tv. Eff it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Chiquitita wrote: »
    First night in a couple of weeks that I havent been able to sleep. Head in a spin :(
    A technique I find helpful:

Get comfortable!

Breathe using your diaphragm but (this bit is important) when your belly is going out (therefore when you are breathing in), think 'OUT'.

When breathing out (belly going in), think 'IN'.

So, the thought is the opposite of the breath direction. It is easier if you just remember that you think 'OUT' when your belly is going out, and 'IN' when your belly is going in.

If you lose the flow or get distracted by extraneous thoughts, just start again.

Sounds simple, but lots of effective techniques are...

There is another related technique which I can't remember - I think it is a three-stage process. If anyone knows what it is, please post it here! :)
    I cant even concentrate enough to watch tv. Eff it
    Just saw this. TV in bedroom = bad idea, in general.

Not your ornery onager

Thank you!

Going to do this until I fall asleep...hope you're having a good night!

Can't sleep, :'( my dog though has no problem he is keeping me entertained
    He's havin little doggie dreams growling and running in his sleep so cute
    Love my little crazy furbaby
    He really keeps me going sometimes
    Unconditional love

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Feeling a tiny bit better but afraid to say so or embrace it in case things get worse.

Can I just shut my brain off for a few weeks?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Storm has made work very difficult today. Lightening has messed up some systems. Was feeling all sorts of stressed yesterday so now I have chest pains. I'll never know if I'm having a heart attack!.

Oh well hope most of ye don't have to leave the house today. :-)

Hello all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Today hasn't been too good. It's manageable though. I'm just finding it a bit more difficult to block out all the negative thoughts. I'll get through it though.

My daily dosage of Lexapro has gone up to 15mg from 10mg and I'm just wondering what other poster's experiences have been with this. I know we're not supposed to give medical advice on here but I'm not looking for any. The doctor said that the side effects shouldn't be any worse from such a small increase, which I'd expect, but I'm just looking to hear from someone who has had first hand experience with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Suas11 wrote: »
    Today hasn't been too good. It's manageable though. I'm just finding it a bit more difficult to block out all the negative thoughts. I'll get through it though.

My daily dosage of Lexapro has gone up to 15mg from 10mg and I'm just wondering what other poster's experiences have been with this. I know we're not supposed to give medical advice on here but I'm not looking for any. The doctor said that the side effects shouldn't be any worse from such a small increase, which I'd expect, but I'm just looking to hear from someone who has had first hand experience with it.

Honestly, it's individual and varies from person to person. Could be completely different in the way that it effects you, the next person, person after that etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Suas11 wrote: »

I haven't been on that drug at all but I can't comment on it specifically. Other ones I've been on when getting the doses increased I've found that it can sometimes upset my stomach, dry mouth and emotionally can be a little bit edgier if that makes any sense.

Im not on it either but dry mouth is one of the side effects of mine also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Esel wrote: »
    Venlafaxine has a very short half-life, so tapering off is a long-term and slow process. If going below 75mg, what dose has your doctor stipulated? If it is too sharp a decrease, your pharmacist should be able to make up an intermediate dose for you to try. So, instead of going from 75mg to 37.5mg for instance, they could make 60/62.5mg capsules, then 50mg capsules.

Does your discontinuation schedule include varying between previous (e.g. 75mg) dose and new lower (e.g. 37.5mg) dose on an increasing pattern? That is, when stepping lower, you take your first lower dose of 37.5mg on the first day, next day back to 75mg, next two days 37.5mg, next day 75mg, next three days 37.5mg. Not in that exact pattern maybe, but I hope you know what I mean. This is the preferred method, afaik.

Also, while the discontinuation effects of venlafaxine are fairly extreme, they are relatively short-lived (about a week in total from a cold-turkey stop?).

From what I have read, it's all about the neurotransmitter systems having to up-regulate to normal after having been artificially modulated for so long.

Again, this is personal opinion only. I am not a doctor.

A word of warning on the practicality of this advice. After 14 years of working in Irish dispensaries I have yet to come across any community pharmacy that had the capability to manufacture capsules in the way you describe. Production standards, IMB standards have all but removed extemporaneous dispensing from the pharmacy repertoire other than one or two very basic methods.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Can't sleep. Gah. Nightshift later. Oh well..

Felt like I was getting better yesterday. Now back to feeling like I'm in hell. Will this ever stop.

The cyclical nature of it is a sickener at times.

I didn't know it went like that. This is a particularly bad spell for me and I'm experiencing lows I've never hit before.

Well said G.

I didn't know it went like that. This is a particularly bad spell for me and I'm experiencing lows I've never hit before.

I doubt it does for everyone, but seems to for the majority, periods of ok followed by periods of not so f**king ok and back to ok again (even if it seems like ok will never return, it does, to complete the cycle)

Oh so im not the only one today.....good to know!

• Advertisement

Oh so im not the only one today.....good to know!

no your not the only one. The loneliness and emptiness today is palpable.

Hello mind and thoughts can you please shut up even for 1 whole day and give me a break!?

Hello mind and thoughts can you please shut up even for 1 whole day and give me a break!?

Snap, same here.

They need to plug me into the Matrix or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You know when you just. Just don't what to do.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I recommend getting out in the fresh air if possible, I know we don't always feel like it. I brought the dog for a long walk today and it cleared my head.

I'll be leaving the house tomorrow. Tonight i'll be happy when i'm asleep!

Best of luck to us all for the week ahead. We will get through it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Best of luck to us all for the week ahead. We will get through it. :)

Thank you I needed that.

Procrastinated my night away so need to do an assignment before I sleep. >_< Written a letter to take with my to the doctor though and picked a day I'm going so that's progress.

• Advertisement

That's great news, you should feel proud! Good idea about the letter too, no way of forgetting things then which I always seem to do...ooops

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement