Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Unfortunately Robert the waiting is the hardest part, stick with it, they'll kick in soon. Thinking of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Have had this current bout of anxiety for about 4 or 5 months now. The longest sustained bout I've ever had with no breaks. The chest tightness is the worst. Feels like I'm going to have a heart attack at any minute. Blood tests all came back negative so it can only be the anxiety. Nausea is a close second in terms of the symptoms. Constantly feel like I'm going to be sick. I just want it to go away :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Chiquitita wrote: »
    Gremlin did you make the call? Hope it went well for you x

Nope, i need a bit longer to work up to a phone call.. Get very nervous about making or getting calls. I will though..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

What in particular makes you nervous about phone calls gremlin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

What in particular makes you nervous about phone calls gremlin?

Not a clue really.. There seems to be a bit of a combination of things.. Especially that i can't see who i'm talking to so no idea if they are being genuine or not. This includes friends, because i have more than a touch of paranoia.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I hate phone calls too. Worked in tech support for a few years when the anxiety kicked off so I kinda associate using the phone with potential irate people.

Had a big family event today. Wasn't too shabby but I'm utterly useless at talking to people.

"Are you a fan of the rugby?" an in-law asks.

"Not really, sorry!" I reply.

"Ah right." Awkward silence and he walks off. :D:o

Haha poor Hugo...next time say something like yeeeah I love it, Messi is my favourite player! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I went the movies on my own today. I had one seat in the top row, some woman with like 20 kids in tow had booked the rest of the row for a party of some sort. My instinct was to move like, but she says 'oh you poor man, going the cinema on your own' and then proceeded to sit to next to me and talk to me, share popcorn :o like I know she was being nice, but I was mortified.

You should have said yeah...poor me sitting beside you and those rats!

Chiquitita wrote: »
    Haha poor Hugo...next time say something like yeeeah I love it, Messi is my favourite player! :D

"Yeah I played rugby football when I was younger. I was the goalkeeper." :D
    cloud493 wrote: »
    I went the movies on my own today. I had one seat in the top row, some woman with like 20 kids in tow had booked the rest of the row for a party of some sort. My instinct was to move like, but she says 'oh you poor man, going the cinema on your own' and then proceeded to sit to next to me and talk to me, share popcorn :o like I know she was being nice, but I was mortified.

Harsh! I went to the cinema alone twice. Felt like all eyes were on me walking in there alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

When other people tell me they're going to the cinema alone I don't think there's anything wrong with that yet I never go alone, I always have to try find people to go with.

Worked out for the first time since injuring my legs. Forgot what a brilliant mood it puts me in. Really recommend it for anyone with any forms of depression. And if you think you can't do it that's nonsense, I know because it's what I told myself for years. I do fairly intense stuff but that's 'cause I'm trying to lose weight but anything that gets the heart beat up a bit is good.

I only ever went to the cinema alone because I had nobody to go with. I have nobody in general to do anything with so that stops me going out in general, which in turns means I don't get to meet new people. It's like a downward spiral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

I usually go on my own. Mostly as I never feel sure if I actually want to go so if I go by myself, I can change my mind and not go and that way it doesn't affect anyone else.

I've never gone on my own but I dont think i'd have a problem with it. I'd imagine it would be nice to go during the day when it's really quiet and you can munch away on popcorn and rattle the sweet bags as much as you like...I think I might try it soon!

I'm having a day where i feel really really empty. Can't shake it, walked dog, tea, reading, games. Nothing.

I'm having a day where i feel really really empty. Can't shake it, walked dog, tea, reading, games. Nothing.

Sorry to hear that G :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Sorry to hear it. It's good you're doing things though. I can be very bad sometimes for just hiding away from the world and it just makes things worse.

I don't think my doctor would be inclined to refer to compulsions as quirks if she just saw the panic attack I had. Had a really good day overall though before that happened. Still I got it under control pretty fast so it could have been a lot worse.

Long night ahead, nearly wish i was at work..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mister_Happy

Long night ahead, nearly wish i was at work..

Been there G but tomorrow will be better. Great that you were actually getting up & doing stuff, I normally lay in & did nothing just. Hopefully u get a good nights rest & have sweet dreams about walking your pup. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Ugh, Mondays. Really didn't want to come into work today, just didn't want to get out of bed. That deliberately made me late and I was on a cramped bus full of people, some who wouldn't shut up. Even before i got on the bus, my anxiety and tension were up and this loud annoying child at the bus stop just made it worse.

Cue anxiety and tension and stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

yup same here. bit of dread this morning for some reason. I was meant to do some work over the weekend but didnt so maybe it was guilt. staying under the duvet seemed wonderful. it felt like an achievement to get up, shower and make porridge.

feel ok now I'm in. I've some stuff to attend to but plan on doing it at lunch time when theres less people around to stress me out. am desk bound for everything else yay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Good to hear that you're trying different things regardless of your mood, it's a great attitude to have. I've felt that way myself, my personal remedy was to make use of the feeling and do some meditating. A very simple method was mentioned elsewhere on the site - just breathe through your nose and focus on the feeling of the air moving in and out.

Actually I'm going to recommend that technique to the people I help, it'll help them no end.

My sense of foreboding was correct i'm sorry to say. Got word from work that it will be a tough week due to a mistake made by someone else.. Great. I know i do my job well, but being under scrutiny for the week both makes me nervous and angry. Oh well.. It's the way it is.. Will just have to keep breathing slowly..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

no one likes that feeling of being watched, I feel for ya! Can you get some solace from the fact that you did nothing wrong, and the scrutiny will just make you able to prove how good you are?

Nerves a bit shot for that, least they won't be there all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Have been doing so well recently,but today has just gotten on top of me.

Feel so worthless today. Don't seem to know what I'm doing at all. Completely overwhelmed today.

DM addict wrote: »
    Have been doing so well recently,but today has just gotten on top of me.

Feel so worthless today. Don't seem to know what I'm doing at all. Completely overwhelmed today.

You're not worthless though DMA. :)

Anything in particular about today that got to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Have felt kinda ill - bad headache, which has meant I've just been sitting on the sofa all day. Have lots to do and no motivation to do any of it. Just makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

DM addict wrote: »
    Have felt kinda ill - bad headache, which has meant I've just been sitting on the sofa all day. Have lots to do and no motivation to do any of it. Just makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

Sometimes when you're run down physically the stresses of life can feel so bad.

I can particularly relate to what you said about motivation. It's like a switch has turned mine off lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

thankyou lovely people for your prayers and thoughts the other evening.
    They worked someone I was very worried about got good news today all is ok:)

im so run down and stressed after a long anxious week. havent done anything i was supposed to do for conselling but im sure she will understand due to circumstances.

I have just taken a diazapan and hopefully will get a sleep tonight.

thanks folks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement