Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Don't want to sleep myself, dreaming some weird **** at the moment, ranging from arguments with my family I haven't spoken to in 4 months or very strange conversations with people I know in weird places I have been but they have not. I have been trying to reach out to some services looking for supports but have hit a brick wall, life really does seem to hard at times like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Going through similar RobbingBandit.

I have just found a brilliant site that offers a free cbt course online-I have just started it

http://www.llttf.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Wasn't the best night, didn't get any sleep at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Feckin electrical problem at work mean alarm panel is going off incessantly, 65 times in two hours so far. My nerves already in bits so this going off now is driving stress levels through the roof..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

im just so so tired. My body just does not feel right, pains all over chest and back and no appetite(v.strange for me) feel like im carrying an extra person around with me....

Im pissed off seems once i start to turn a corner something else comes up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

How is everyone getting on over this weekend? The social aspect of it all can alienate people and the general shenanigans can unnerve people.. I'm working as usual so I'm ok bout that side of things.. Sort of time that makes me feel a bit lonely though.. Hope anyone here is getting on ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mister_Happy

handbagmad wrote: »
    im just so so tired. My body just does not feel right, pains all over chest and back and no appetite(v.strange for me) feel like im carrying an extra person around with me....

Im pissed off seems once i start to turn a corner something else comes up

Your not alone, 1 day ye start feeling good & the next ye seem to be back at square1. Hopefully you can get over this thing that has come up & the next corner is better for you. Getting out in the air for exercise and walks helps me. Helps with my appetite & sleep. I've found listening to mindfulness techniques online useful too, hopefully you can shrug that other person off your back & it will be just you. No bother to ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mister_Happy

How is everyone getting on over this weekend? The social aspect of it all can alienate people and the general shenanigans can unnerve people.. I'm working as usual so I'm ok bout that side of things.. Sort of time that makes me feel a bit lonely though.. Hope anyone here is getting on ok..

This can be a tiring weekend alright but ok so far. Hope your getting on ok too Gremlinertia, remember your never lonely when you have all your buddies here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 boyinterrupted

Stay away from Benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax etc) at all cost! Trust me! They're a quick fix. They're great for taking before a flight or if you find yourself in an EXTREMELY stressful situation but they should NOT be taken regularly! I've learned from experience. I got dependent on them and the withdrawal symptoms you experience when you try to come off them are genuinely frightening. You will feel a level of anxiety that you have never felt before. I've suffered with anxiety all my life & it intensified after my Dad died. I took loads of benzodiazepines to cope with his death until I was a zombie. They really didn't help at all. So I decided to get some one-to-one counselling & my doctor also prescribed Lexapro. The combination of Lexapro, mindfulness, meditation & counselling completely changed my life. Some of us are just pre-disposed to mental illness & it's nothing to be ashamed of, it's just our reality & there's no point in running away from it. Deal with it head on & remember that it's not all doom and gloom. You can have anxiety & depression and still live a very enjoyable and fulfilling life. Go out there & get the help you need because it's there & ready for you to utilise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Stay away from Benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax etc) at all cost! Trust me! They're a quick fix. They're great for taking before a flight or if you find yourself in an EXTREMELY stressful situation but they should NOT be taken regularly! I've learned from experience. I got dependent on them and the withdrawal symptoms you experience when you try to come off them are genuinely frightening. You will feel a level of anxiety that you have never felt before. I've suffered with anxiety all my life & it intensified after my Dad died. I took loads of benzodiazepines to cope with his death until I was a zombie. They really didn't help at all. So I decided to get some one-to-one counselling & my doctor also prescribed Lexapro. The combination of Lexapro, mindfulness, meditation & counselling completely changed my life. Some of us are just pre-disposed to mental illness & it's nothing to be ashamed of, it's just our reality & there's no point in running away from it. Deal with it head on & remember that it's not all doom and gloom. You can have anxiety & depression and still live a very enjoyable and fulfilling life. Go out there & get the help you need because it's there & ready for you to utilise :)
    I hope you don't mind me restating your advice as follows:

Benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax etc) have their place, but they should only be used in the very short term. Short term use would be a week or two. The same usually applies to sleeping tablets. These drugs are addictive, and withdrawing from them after regular use is very difficult - to say the least. Withdrawal can often result in the experience of much more severe occurrences of the original symptoms (i.e. anxiety, insomnia). If addiction has developed, withdrawal should be undertaken under strict medical advice.

Benzodiazepines can be very useful in certain circumstances, for example before a flight or if you have to face an extremely stressful situation but they should not be taken regularly.

It is also very important to avoid the consumption of alcohol if taking these drugs.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

If you want to make a doctors appointment, how long in advance will you have to make the appointment. I can only do after 6 so it's possible they'd b busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

phi3 wrote: »
    If you want to make a doctors appointment, how long in advance will you have to make the appointment. I can only do after 6 so it's possible they'd b busy

Sometimes clinics in cities have a late night one or two nights a week. It totally depends on the practise and how busy they are/how many doctors but you could get lucky with appointments. I'm in Dublin, let me know if you need a PM with local details.

Nine more hours to finish work.. Feck these busy weekends I'm getting too wrecked by them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Nine more hours to finish work.. Feck these busy weekends I'm getting too wrecked by them..

Fingers crossed it'll go quickly. What kinda work do you do G?

Mainly bar and security so sixteen hour shifts all weekend. Wiped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

That's rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm in a bit of a situation where I have to go for something that I know I don't want in my heart and everyone I talk to is giving me the tough love talk :rolleyes: "Now we've all got to do things we don't want to sometimes..." This is not news to me but I need a different take on the situation.

Can you clarify a bit more?. Can't quite get my head around it until I've some more background I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Used to work in a bar. It was torture. The staff and regulars used to think I was odd because I wouldn't talk that much. Truth was that I just hated them and working there. Was expected to be the life and soul of the place but I'm not capable of that. Got fired eventually :L

Can you clarify a bit more?. Can't quite get my head around it until I've some more background I think.

Got an interview, the job has no redeeming features: location bad, pay bad, far from friends family, a step back... only positive is it's in my field. I have to go for it but I'm already feeling apprehensive about the prospect of getting offered it. Not good.

• Advertisement

Can it be seen as a stepping stone? Also willingness to work on your cv for future employers perhaps?

Used to work in a bar. It was torture. The staff and regulars used to think I was odd because I wouldn't talk that much. Truth was that I just hated them and working there. Was expected to be the life and soul of the place but I'm not capable of that. Got fired eventually :L

My crankiness suits on the door and weirdly having a bunch of people around makes me nervous which makes me act the clown in some situations too. Strange mash up of personal quirks I guess.

Can it be seen as a stepping stone? Also willingness to work on your cv for future employers perhaps?

Perhaps, perhaps :)

cloudatlas wrote: »

Just my two cent on it.. Some things can seem like a shyte move but are they possibly better than not going? And usually if something doesn't quite work out you can return to the status quo without too much hassle..

cloudatlas wrote: »

Just my two cent on it.. Some things can seem like a shyte move but are they possibly better than not going? And usually if something doesn't quite work out you can return to the status quo without too much hassle..

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Another day of feeling the same.....like SH*T!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

back on steroids due to crohns flare up!!! grrr... ill be eating like a motherf**ker as if i wasnt bad enough already.
    Another effect is the false energy I have even though I feel like crap.
    Spent 2 hours cleaning a spot of carpet the dog pee'd on that I couldnt get the stain out of.....only for the dog to reclaim the spot,cock his leg and piss all over it again!!!!
    Dont know weither to laugh or cry.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I really can't handle this country. I need to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Deaglain.12

I think I may have depression and would like to see someone about it. I have very little money and no real close friends I can talk to about it.

I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation and has any advice. Any help is greatly appreciated .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I think I may have depression and would like to see someone about it. I have very little money and no real close friends I can talk to about it.

I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation and has any advice. Any help is greatly appreciated .

Www.aware.ie might be of help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement