Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Weather gone to hell here.. It'll be an interesting stroll.. Then again i think wild weather suits it more..

Well done! I feel a little guilty in not participating.

Enjoy , I believe it is a wonderful experience .

A number of friends are taking part, I will organise myself for next year.

Headache stress related? I hope it recedes soon.. I've bee trying t grab a nap but it's not going well..

Try mint or camomile tea. Both help me when I have a headache.

Worth a try?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I have a headache and an interview coming up in the next few days. The person I'm depending on for support just keeps dragging up past experiences where I failed at interview which isn't very helpful and making me more anxious.

Firstly grab yourself a soothing camomile tea for the headache.

Ok you are already aware of the weaknesses at previous interviews, but it is time to move on. Concentrate on all the positives you have to offer, qualifications, work experience, communication skills etc...........

Do not muddle your mind with negatives. If things don't change they stay the same. If it is to be it is up to me!

Best Wishes,

d.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Firstly grab yourself a soothing camomile tea for the headache.

Ok you are already aware of the weaknesses at previous interviews, but it is time to move on. Concentrate on all the positives you have to offer, qualifications, work experience, communication skills etc...........

Do not muddle your mind with negatives. If things don't change they stay the same. If it is to be it is up to me!

Best Wishes,

d.

Thanks. The headache is gone. Everytime I'm trying to talk about my feelings and someone cuts me off and says 'Don't be so negative' or 'Be positive' I hear - 'Shut Up!'.

I will try and think about the good things. It's up to everyone to try their best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks. The headache is gone. Everytime I'm trying to talk about my feelings and someone cuts me off and says 'Don't be so negative' or 'Be positive' I hear - 'Shut Up!'.

I will try and think about the good things. It's up to everyone to try their best.

Well you won't be told to shut up here.. ;) I'm feeling pretty good after the walk last night. Now i need to try sleep before work, oops..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Out of curiosity, does anyone here think of themselves as or identify as disabled? Was reading about the charity scops new campaign about how to interact with those who are disabled and saw mental health mentioned more than once. I find it interesting because, while I can see why mental illness would be classified as a disability, I have never thought of myself as someone with a disability.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Out of curiosity, does anyone here think of themselves as or identify as disabled? Was reading about the charity scops new campaign about how to interact with those who are disabled and saw mental health mentioned more than once. I find it interesting because, while I can see why mental illness would be classified as a disability, I have never thought of myself as someone with a disability.

Is that article online, if so link please..

I wouldn't consider myself disabled either, though disability is a massively broad term, sometimes i am limited in my ability to do things due to how my brain works. However that could be said of someone with a fear of heights, yet that would hardly fit with the conventional meaning of disability, hmm. Think i'll be pondering this a while.

It comes down to what you think of yourself really, though various government bodies will pigeonhole as is their way. (I'll take off my tinfoil hat now :rolleyes: )

Mental illness is mentioned towards the end of the bit on awkward situations and also in the part about acceptable language to use when discussing disability.

I think you're right about it coming down to what you think of yourself. I remember Adam Hills saying in an interview before that he didn't really think of himself as disabled and he has a prosthetic leg. Official classification doesn't really change self perception.

Mental illness is mentioned towards the end of the bit on awkward situations and also in the part about acceptable language to use when discussing disability.

I think you're right about it coming down to what you think of yourself. I remember Adam Hills saying in an interview before that he didn't really think of himself as disabled and he has a prosthetic leg. Official classification doesn't really change self perception.

That's the very, very important bit. Nail on head moment.. It's all to easy to take the label you've been given and let that rule you. Yes, you can take medical advice, but the diagnostic label does not need to define you. I wouldn't have been working the last ten years if that was the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

I've suffered from mild - moderate depression and anxiety for 10 years but have been making good progress in the past two years with mindfulness and CBT.
    I am the same as you but only for the last three years but then my Mother died last September and CBT does not cover that or the fact that my family has been split in two. Have you please any suggestions to help me get through this. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Interesting point re: disability.

I say to myself 'I can't' go out every day, but if a bear was chasing me I could. So I can.

What I should be saying is at the best of times, going out everyday would cause me an an absolutely abnormal amount of stress. Sometimes when I go out and I'm on the bus I turn into a statue, my body just tenses and become completely stiff and uncomfortable.

When I was working in an office for six months it just all piled up every day, I could hardly use my brain, every part of my body felt uncomfortable, like a spasming and I couldn't feel between my rib cage and my pelvis.

But when I think disability I think physical, as in the need for disabled parking spaces. I do believe my disability can be cured, but also if there was a gun to my head I could do anything a normal person would.

ah I'm flip-flopping, I don't know. Sometimes I don't even think I'm ill, I don't know!

Interested to hear more people's take on it.

Interesting point re: disability.

I say to myself 'I can't' go out every day, but if a bear was chasing me I could. So I can.

What I should be saying is at the best of times, going out everyday would cause me an an absolutely abnormal amount of stress. Sometimes when I go out and I'm on the bus I turn into a statue, my body just tenses and become completely stiff and uncomfortable.

When I was working in an office for six months it just all piled up every day, I could hardly use my brain, every part of my body felt uncomfortable, like a spasming and I couldn't feel between my rib cage and my pelvis.

But when I think disability I think physical, as in the need for disabled parking spaces. I do believe my disability can be cured, but also if there was a gun to my head I could do anything a normal person would.

ah I'm flip-flopping, I don't know. Sometimes I don't even think I'm ill, I don't know!

Interested to hear more people's take on it.

I feel more or less the same. I sometimes have difficulty getting out of bed, I spent a month or so last year barely leaving my room, never mind the house. If a compulsion takes serious hold I can't concentrate or do anything else until I've completed it. But at the moment I'm doing okay and functioning as close to 'normally' as I have in a long time. I feel like mental illness can be disabling but, even though I see my conditions as permanent, they don't necessarily affect me all of the time and their severity fluctuates whereas, in my mind, disability affects you to some degree all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Feel awful today,been crying off and on for no apparent reason and can't stop the suicidal thoughts,even when I do the distraction stuff my counsellor suggested.

Feel awful today,been crying off and on for no apparent reason and can't stop the suicidal thoughts,even when I do the distraction stuff my counsellor suggested.

Crying is good, it releases the tension and helps the healing process.

Having suicidal thoughts, perhaps you should contact your GP or visit your A&E Dept or contact Aware!

Please look after yourself

Crying is good, it releases the tension and helps the healing process.

Having suicidal thoughts, perhaps you should contact your GP or visit your A&E Dept or contact Aware!

Please look after yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Oh Christ on a bike let me sleep
    30 hours now.....ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Everything is just getting on top of me these past few days. I feel trapped like I did back in October, and just have no motivation or confidence in myself. I've to deal with difficult work people again today (unusual) so maybe that has me on edge. Im hoping that when today is over I might relax a bit. I am going to make an appointment with psychotherapist and if that's not for a while I will call the GP - I seriously feel like I need to opt out of work at the mo, and would love to get a cert but I'm going away next week and not sure how that would look as well. I hope I can just hack the next 7 working days with as little crap as possible.

Had a fight with OH last night and today - may not have mentioned it but we're marrying soon and I'm getting stressed about a lot of it - in my current frame of mind I really dont feel I have the strength to deal with family crap and the usual interfering that goes with these things. Between people not bothering to get back to us, and others responding but wanting to bring extra people it's extra work and stress we could do without. I'm particularly fed up with that aspect as we went to a lot of trouble wording things correctly so as not to hurt or offend anyone but we aren't getting the same respect in return, and being asked to include more people hurts as we're on a budget and hoped people were more in tune with that these days in that they'd keep their traps shut.

My exercising has been minimum the past 2 weeks and that is possibly not helping the stress so I am definitely doing plenty this week. I'm eating reasonably well too and despite all the dread I face every morning my stomach issues have been ok. I'm taking time to have a nice breakfast every morning and have a tonic and berocca with that and it seems to be ok.

Just had to email the college counselor to ask if she can provide a letter if I choose to submit a Personal Circumstances form after tomorrow's exam. Had a really low day. Was literally just thinking last night how great it was that my depression had stayed away for the exams. Spoke too soon.

Just had to email the college counselor to ask if she can provide a letter if I choose to submit a Personal Circumstances form after tomorrow's exam. Had a really low day. Was literally just thinking last night how great it was that my depression had stayed away for the exams. Spoke too soon.

Sod's law isn't it?. I was feeling ok and even vaguely relaxed after a week off and then my pain problems started acting up and work was terrible last night.

Don't worry about enquiring about a note, we all need a wee bit of help and consideration at times. Someone with a broken leg isn't expected to get around without crutches.. I hope you get some sleep. And best of luck..

Sod's law isn't it?. I was feeling ok and even vaguely relaxed after a week off and then my pain problems started acting up and work was terrible last night.

Don't worry about enquiring about a note, we all need a wee bit of help and consideration at times. Someone with a broken leg isn't expected to get around without crutches.. I hope you get some sleep. And best of luck..

Yeah at first I got upset because I felt if I filed a form I wouldn't be getting passed on my own merits but then I thought if I were physically ill I wouldn't see it that way so why is it different if it's my head?

Hope your pain problems improve soon..

• Advertisement

Yeah at first I got upset because I felt if I filed a form I wouldn't be getting passed on my own merits but then I thought if I were physically ill I wouldn't see it that way so why is it different if it's my head?

Hope your pain problems improve soon..

Good that was the point I was messily trying to get across, when I first went on medication I had to think about it like that because I was very distrustful to begin with.. Best o' luck with the exams.

Good that was the point I was messily trying to get across, when I first went on medication I had to think about it like that because I was very distrustful to begin with.. Best o' luck with the exams.

Not messy at all, I just unnecessarily reiterated it. :P Anyway, going to make some notes on the Wild Atlantic Way, make a smoothie for tomorrow's breakfast a go to bed. Night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm back in hell, all I can think to do is pray. I am not religious, I just don't see to many outs here.

I'm back in hell, all I can think to do is pray. I am not religious, I just don't see to many outs here.

What's happening? Feel free to pm if you want to go off thread..

stinkle wrote: »
    Everything is just getting on top of me these past few days. I feel trapped like I did back in October, and just have no motivation or confidence in myself. I've to deal with difficult work people again today (unusual) so maybe that has me on edge. Im hoping that when today is over I might relax a bit. I am going to make an appointment with psychotherapist and if that's not for a while I will call the GP - I seriously feel like I need to opt out of work at the mo, and would love to get a cert but I'm going away next week and not sure how that would look as well. I hope I can just hack the next 7 working days with as little crap as possible.

Had a fight with OH last night and today - may not have mentioned it but we're marrying soon and I'm getting stressed about a lot of it - in my current frame of mind I really dont feel I have the strength to deal with family crap and the usual interfering that goes with these things. Between people not bothering to get back to us, and others responding but wanting to bring extra people it's extra work and stress we could do without. I'm particularly fed up with that aspect as we went to a lot of trouble wording things correctly so as not to hurt or offend anyone but we aren't getting the same respect in return, and being asked to include more people hurts as we're on a budget and hoped people were more in tune with that these days in that they'd keep their traps shut.

My exercising has been minimum the past 2 weeks and that is possibly not helping the stress so I am definitely doing plenty this week. I'm eating reasonably well too and despite all the dread I face every morning my stomach issues have been ok. I'm taking time to have a nice breakfast every morning and have a tonic and berocca with that and it seems to be ok.

Take it easy & put yourself first!

Thanks Del, how are you feeling now?

Glad I got yesterday over with. I thought I'd get out of another meeting later in the week but have to attend that too. I wasnt happy with how yesterdays went but dont care really.

Got a cancellation appointment with psychotherapist today. Afterwards I'll think about GP. Spoke to a good mate yesterday whos going through the mill themselves and they are doing well on their meds. It was v refreshing to talk so openly for both of us.

Total dread again today and for no real reason. I'm gonna be v good to myslef anyway and just take it easy.

Hope everything's okay Jimmy. Here if you need to talk.

Exam went better than expected but still submitting the form becauseI'd say I scraped a pass (if even that) and I know if I could have studied properly would have done so much better. Counsellor is away until Monday so will have to go in to submit the form tomorrow and then give in the letter Monday. I'm a technically no longer a student, I don't want to be in and out of the college.

Mood is still blah but not as bad as before.

Have an interview tomorrow and I'm paralyzed with nerves. It's always difficult to choose to take something and feel and possibly act dopey or to not take something and hope the nerves don't show.

Have an interview tomorrow and I'm paralyzed with nerves. It's always difficult to choose to take something and feel and possibly act dopey or to not take something and hope the nerves don't show.

good luck! I get bad nerves too and face the same dilemma but have never taken anything to date. Does it ever help to think of how great you'll feel after it's done? That used to get me through presentations etc, not sure does it work for interviews

• Advertisement

stinkle wrote: »
    good luck! I get bad nerves too and face the same dilemma but have never taken anything to date. Does it ever help to think of how great you'll feel after it's done? That used to get me through presentations etc, not sure does it work for interviews

The pressure just seems insurmountable, interviews are rare these days although I have found some part time work it isn't in my career area and I'd much prefer to get this job which is in my career area. It's the same old story I'll just have to pull myself together. My family are avoiding the subject at the moment to help me not to think too much about it but then I have no one to talk to.

Yes, I have something nice planned for afterwards but it seems too long before I'll get there. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement