Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Have you tried other antidepressants? The first two my doctor prescribed were horrible, it took 6 months to figure out the right pill and the right dose with my doctor, but once the right one clicked, it was a revelation. I felt like giving up on them many times before they eventually worked.

+1 for exercise, very important part of improving your mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

I don't know which one would be tougher. I feel so restricted to what I can do in life it feels like I'm locked up in jail or something.

I want to go travel the world, but always having the nagging voice in my head saying I can't do it, because I'll get panic attacks and have to come home, I don't want to be stuck in another country struggling if you get me.

But I don't seem to be getting any better, everyday is a constant battle, I've being getting panic attacks for 10 years now and I can't enjoy some parts of my life anymore.

I just can't see where my life is going, will these God forsaken things ever go away and will I live my life again. I forget what if feels like to live freely.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Plumeria

Bad day today.
    I don't think my psychiatrist can help me. And the idea of starting all over again with someone new just makes me want to give up completely. I can't do it.

I rang my friend in desperation today and asked him to please tell me there's a reason to keep going. He said of course there's a reason. I can't see it.

Sorry for the downer. I feel really frantic atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Hang in there buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

First of all want to say how much I admire everyone in this forum for being so honest and supportive of each other. I'm an occasional Boards poster posting here as a guest..I was wondering what people feel the relationship between anxiety and depression is, does having one always involve having the other? My own situation is that I suffer occasional anxiety attacks at work, and just from thinking about work. Not the full scale,blackout type of panic attacks,thank God, but feelings of panic,wanting to run away,pains in my limbs,shortness of breath,etc. Whenever I run into a work-related issue I feel its something I can't handle, had a serious one today and I know I'm going to ruin my whole weekend by brooding over it. I have a very secure job and work with some nice people although there is a good bit of pressure from above, especially when there is a problem. These feelings of anxiety have been going on for over 10 years now since I left college. My girlfriend suggested a doctor and counselling a year ago, so I was put on a small dose of lexapro and starting counselling. Neither seemed to do me any good, which is probably something to do with the intermittent nature of the problem. So I'm not sure if my problem warrants me posing here given the severity of other people's problems, but I just wanted to vent! Thanks!

• Advertisement

Dude vent away. Everyone knows its really good to get stuff off your chest.

These feelings of anxiety have been going on for over 10 years now since I left college. My girlfriend suggested a doctor and counselling a year ago, so I was put on a small dose of lexapro and starting counselling. Neither seemed to do me any good, which is probably something to do with the intermittent nature of the problem.

I'm not qualified to advise people on anything, but I found Xanax very effective for immediate relief in a high-anxiety situation. It's the sort of drug you only take when needed, not on a daily basis.
    It takes effect in about 20 minutes and relaxes you for maybe 3 or 4 hours.
    Anyway, it might be something that works for you if your anxiety is occasional... maybe you could ask your doctor about it.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Xanax is very,very addictive,my psychiatrist wont prescribe me it for that very reason unfortunately.She gave me Seroquel instead which is a nasty,nasty drug.

Another crap day for me today,met with my counsellor,was good to talk to another human being about how I'm feeling and how I've been cutting myself and why,and we came up with sort of an action plan which seemed okay when we were talking about it but it doesn't really help very much now when I'm feeling like crap.I suppose he isn't a miracle worker in fairness.

Having a brutal time today, i'm very anxious,its making me physically ill now. I do have depression, but as of yet, never looked or got help of any substantial kind. I'm afraid to if I'm honest.

I hear from nobody....my family the odd time, but it kind of feels like they have to. I have very few friends, if i can even call them that. They reply....never contact me....not sure if that makes sense. I get pissed off and annoyed that nobody contacts me, even a text would be good....asking how I am(not that I would tell them, gotta keep the mask up). Feels like nobody cares....

Long empty days, followed by long empty nights, its one continuous loop of emptiness. I got so down yesterday, I contemplated visiting a prostitute. Its not even about sex, I'd just like to feel the warmth of another human. Instead I got drunk, and went to bed. Jesus I feel so pathetic....

Bad day, nobody deserves to feel that way. There are so many social support structures out there, you just need to get some info about them and push yourself to getting out there more to meet new people.

Have you considered ringing The Samaritans? Not only can they be a great help when you need to vent, but they will have a ton of info on ways to boost your social life.

Either way, I think you need to get the courage to talk to a GP about how you're feeling.

Psychiatry has come such a long way and there is a great success rate with modern drugs. People suffer needlessly for years before they seek help and the reaction is always "why didn't I do this sooner?"

• Advertisement

They say regular exercise is the best remedy for depression.It releases 'feel good' chemicals in the brain.A friend who had bad depression told me after a good walk he felt a lot happier.
    Also a good diet is very important.You are what you eat and all that.
    All the best,and hope things improve.

I agree, i've had a bad few weeks, just feeling sh1t and beating myself up over everything.

Anyway last monday i decided enough is enough, packed in the fag's, stopped comfort eating and got into the mindset that a healthier me would be a happier me.
    I've started couch 2 5k, haven't smoked in a few days and i've had what most people would consider a normal week.

Hopefully next week will go as well

Sorry for your troubles man. Sounds completely lousy. I'm in a similar situation myself, ten years of bull****, though it's mostly chronic fatigue with me.

Regarding traveling the world etc, well with me it has been a case of lowering my expectations, or quite literally, scaling things down. I know I'll probably never be able to travel the world, as much as I would love to, but I can still work towards goals and get fulfillment from more modest things. I'm making the most of this little island of ours, and have been able to get a lot out of small trips to places like beaches, gardens, castles and forests. I've also taken up new hobbys which are not physically demanding, but still endlessly rewarding.

I hope you look after your physical body, and your social life, as well as mental health, and I wish you the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

phi3 wrote: »
    Too depressed to cry.
    Is there anything I can do for you? Have you anything to look forward to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

condra wrote: »
    Dude vent away. Everyone knows its really good to get stuff off your chest.

AnxiousGuy79 here - don't see why I should feel like I've anything to hide so I'm posting under my own username! Part of the problem with mental health issues is the stigma attached, we wouldn't feel the same if we were suffering from chronic back pain..

Thanks for the replies Condra and Plumeria. I've decided to arrange an appointment with the employee assistance service at work to talk a few things over, and I'm seriously thinking about CBT as a potential course of treatment. I've just ruined my weekend worrying about tomorrow,I really can't go on living my life like this. Finding it hard to find reputable CBT practitioners - I understand that giving names is against policy here, but if anyone has any pointers I'd be grateful. I'm also planning on organising a doctor's appointment to discuss things and get a general checkup. Now if I can just get through tomorrow.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Hey Benny if you go to your GP you should be able to get a referral for psych services and get CBT via that route. Not sure where you are based but I'm attending CBT starting the end of April after applying via my psych consultant a few weeks ago. Not a very long waiting time in Cork.

Cymbalta suiting me fine so far. Looks like this week will be a positive one :)

Just remember, CBH is not for everyone, and indeed your GP/consultant might recommend a different course of action altogether.

Aside from all that, I think you should address the areas of your lifestyle that lack balance, ie diet, stress, sleep, social etc.

Thanks for that guys,I need to find a GP in my area as I haven't been here too long but once I do I'll ask about a referral.Condra,appreciate the advice.My appetite in particular completely dries up when I have one of these episodes. Banzai, glad to hear things are looking up for you. Thanks again,will let ye know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Today's flawed logic: depressed people are allowed chocolate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Thanks for that guys,I need to find a GP in my area as I haven't been here too long but once I do I'll ask about a referral.Condra,appreciate the advice.My appetite in particular completely dries up when I have one of these episodes. Banzai, glad to hear things are looking up for you. Thanks again,will let ye know how I get on.

Hi Benny,

If you find someone decent practicing CBT then you might PM me the name.

My GP referred me to one, and despite leaving 2 messages and sending an email (this was last week) I've gotten no reply :mad:. I know naming names probably isn't on, but don't bother with mytherapist.ie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Well all

Just a quick question,just wondering did anyone ever undergo ECT treatment for depression and if so how it go?any negative effects?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Hi everyone,

Decided to post as I've finally identified the horrible feelings I've been having for the past while. I am suffering from anxiety - I wouldn't say it's at a critical level, but I worry so much about everything, and worry excessively that things will go wrong (anything). Mostly work though. I started a new job and I'm finding it hard to sleep because i'm worrying that I'll mess up, or that I'll make a mistake or do something wrong.

I am, after a lot of reflection, now sure of where the problem has come from. I never used to be like this, I was very laid back, very relaxed and very confident in the past. I liked being me. But I started work in a high pressure job where the manager was insane. Not a day went past where she wouldn't shout at someone, and it was common for people to cry hysterically at their desks for hours afterwards. Complete humiliation and it was for the slightest thing. So naturally the fear was ever present - you would go into a meeting shaking in case you messed up and she's shout at you in front of everyone (happened lots of times). I was always afraid, always in fear of making some mistake that would result in the rage from the manager. I finally left after 4 years recently and I'm delighted I did, but I am now realising how damaging that environment was, as I'm still suffering from the fear.

I am in a new job now and as I said above, I can't stop worrying that the same thing will happen. I'm terrified of making a mistake, and although so far the company seem great, really different from my last place, I'm so scared of the humiliation and rage again. Even though it's illogical.

I'm also angry at my previous employer. I am different now, more cowed and fearful and I hate that. I've lost some of my confidence and it saddens me. I don't really know what to do but I feel good that I've identified where its come from because at first I thought it was just random.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get over the cycle of worrying/anxious thoughts? I am not having panic attacks or anything, but I would love to be able to think about work without shaking with fear. Thanks in advance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

I sometimes find it very hard to keep up a positive attitude. Set backs in physical health is main cause. Has anyone any advice for me please. Having nightmares at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dreams aloud

Hey, firstly thanks to everyone for sharing here as honestly as they do as it's great for people with problems to know they're not alone.

Just wondering if anyone has ever attended a grow meeting? As far as i can gather it's a meeting for people with depression, anxiety etc.

I can get very anxious in different situations & it's had a huge impact on my life the past few years so thinking of going to my local meeting tomorrow night. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience of these meetings that maybe they could share because naturally i'll be terrified going but would try to get past that if i thought it could be beneficial to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Just wondering if anyone has ever attended a grow meeting? As far as i can gather it's a meeting for people with depression, anxiety etc.

Hey DA, I'm doing a course at the moment with someone who attends a grow meeting weekly in Cork City and loves it. Group size alters with the calendar but there's usually 8-10 people. First names only and tea/coffee, she says it's a very relaxing environment. I hope you are able to get yourself to your local meeting.

Good week is going good. Seeing the OH this weekend. Yay. Have to be up, showered and dressed in 7 hours. Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Very anxious week in work this week,not because of work stuff but because of charity stuff we are doing at the weekend,will have to pretend to be one of the lads,which I am absolutely dreading to be honest,have to do attend,otherwise I'll look like a snobby prick which will make day to day work worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tags

Just wondering if anyone has ever attended a grow meeting?

Yeah I went to a grow meeting last year but I didn't like it. That being said I was in a very bad place at the time and I don't think I committed myself to the program. I did find them an extremely welcoming group, they aren't nosy as to your personal issue and there's no pressure to take part in the first few meetings.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 loung lit

Ha man, I have been in your shoes and still am to a degree. I suffer from manic depression and a social inferiority complex which makes it hard for me to really just have a conversation with someone, never mind travel. This led me to the same thoughts of imprisonment that it sounds like you feel.
    What I did to easy myself into the traveling thing was I went to a website that organises gap year experiences. So then I knew I would be traveling with a group so I wouldn’t feel so alone. So I saved up about 3000 and booked the flights and off I went feeling very anxious and scared about what lay ahead but I’ll tell you what I made some really good friends over there in Thailand. I was out there for 2 months but it’s what I would call a kind of shock therapy in that I made myself confront my fears and as Hollywood ish as it sounds it worked.
    Cense then I’ve also lived in Austria going over only haven spoken to the man I would be working for twice. Trying to continuing my shock therapy approach to my social anxiety again meeting many really cool people in the process and I am only a week back from living in Spain also.
    That’s how I went about my approach to it I really hope it might be of some help to you. Maybe some smaller steps first like join a sports club in your area if it’s the interaction that you fear but if its relying on yourself in a different country that’s getting to you if it’s like standing on a diving board if you think about it too much you’ll back down, you shouldn’t think about it too much just jump. Keep repeating that in your head. When you come through on the other side of that fear and it won’t be long before you do you’ll thank me for it. It’s just a matter of taking that first step.

I hope that this might help in some way.keep your chin up buddy you'll get there

So I went to the doctor yesterday evening,must have been in there for about 25 minutes or so talking to him. He says that it seems to be anxiety moreso than depression,although anxiety can cause you to become depressed sometimes. He put me on a standard dose of Valdoxin, which I hadn't heard of before and gave me a cert for work for the next two days (I hate taking sick leave - always feel guilty, this will be the first time in 6 years!). I asked if he had any recommendations for CBT practitioners but he didn't,its an unregulated field and its quite difficult to find qualified people in this area.

Glad you're having a good week Banzai :)
    Very anxious week in work this week,not because of work stuff but because of charity stuff we are doing at the weekend,will have to pretend to be one of the lads,which I am absolutely dreading to be honest,have to do attend,otherwise I'll look like a snobby prick which will make day to day work worse!

Considering all the events/obligations I have avoided in the past, I'm sure quite a few people think I'm snobby or uncaring etc. Hope the weekend goes OK.

Benny_Cake, my doctor suggested the same thing to me - that my anxiety was causing my depression. I only just heard of Valdoxin this week at my psychiatrist's. Not that she mentioned it, but I saw a letter on her desk inviting her to a lecture on the "new" treatment Valdoxin. So you and your doctor are at the cutting edge ;)
    I know I sound extremely nosey, reading letters on my psych's desk... it's not like I picked it up and unfolded it; it was lying face-up very near me. Just want to clarify that. :o

I am nosey though... She sometimes has notes in front of her and this week I saw that she had made a flow-chart about me. I was kinda fascinated by that, in a self-obsessed way. Someone drew a chart about me! But I couldn't read it from where I was, and I didn't want her to think I was trying to read it. So the chart is a mystery.

Anyway I hope Valdoxin works for you!

• Advertisement

Benny_Cake, my doctor suggested the same thing to me - that my anxiety was causing my depression. I only just heard of Valdoxin this week at my psychiatrist's. Not that she mentioned it, but I saw a letter on her desk inviting her to a lecture on the "new" treatment Valdoxin. So you and your doctor are at the cutting edge
    Yeah, apparently it's only been around less than a year and it won't be available in the US until next year so it's pretty new alright. The doc said he'd recommended it to a good few people and there has been a pretty good response,including a few people who tried several other meds. So here's hoping!
    I am nosey though...
    Well,I'm sure your forking over a fair wedge of money to your psychiatrist,so I think you're entitled to be a little nosey :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement