Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ahfeckted

hey i am on valdoxin for a while now- its um different..defo . personally i think i preferred my last meds but giving this a go. different strokes for different folks and all that..

.i still have some low periods , so was prescribed lamictal- anybody know anything about it?

(sorry if butting in_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tags

I had a bit of a panic attack in work yesterday. I'm only back in work about 6 months after being off sick for a year with my nerves. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

ahfeckted wrote: »
    .i still have some low periods , so was prescribed lamictal- anybody know anything about it?

(sorry if butting in_
    Isn't lamictal an epilepsy medication? :confused: My housemate takes lamictal!
    Tags wrote: »
    I had a bit of a panic attack in work yesterday. I'm only back in work about 6 months after being off sick for a year with my nerves. :(

Sorry to hear about that tags, did you manage to work it out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think that sometimes medications commonly used to treat epilepsy are also prescribed to those suffering from bi-polar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tags

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that tags, did you manage to work it out there?

I ran. I'm taking a couple of days off to try and get my head straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

@loung lit

I understand your logic, a "Just Do It" type of logic, but it will only really work if I'm in a decent enough frame of mind to start off with I think,

like I have been on holidays, Spain, Australia so on, but only for a weeks, so I knew I would be coming home soon enough if I couldn't cope, but I suppose while on holidays, I would be quite anxious at the beginning but by the end of the holiday be feeling quite well, more confident.

For me I think it's the settling down, trying to find accomodation so on, looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

I've been feeling very stressed out the last few days due to college work getting on top of me, I've took a few days off now to see if this will help.

I've also upped my valium quite considerably and was getting bad panic attacks. I took about 8mg today when I'm supposed to be only on about 3mg.

Anyway I thought I'd battle the anxiety today and head to town instead of lying in bed all day, Walking home I felt something that I never felt before, I got really really dizzy/lightheaded, I thought I was going to faint, I don't usually get this and found it quite scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Will have to ask the doc for something to help me sleep tomorrow,cos I'd say I've managed about 3 hours in total over the last few nights,even when I close my eyes I can see a white light(room is completely dark btw) which makes it impossible to sleep,that and my mind just constantly racing over and over.Also getting the usual halucinations ie floor moving under me like an escalator and seeing snakes and stuff.Really ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Plumeria

Tags I'm sorry to hear it :( Will you get to talk to anyone (counsellor/doctor) in the next couple of days? I hope so.

Starview, that sounds nightmarish - the hallucinations etc. Is that caused by the lack of sleep alone? When I was on my various anti-depressants I had a bit of trouble sleeping, and my doctor gave me Zimovane. Hope your doctor sorts you out with something.

I wish my feelings weren't so ridiculously delicate. I can work my way into a good mood, and then I read/hear/see one thing that just makes me sink completely :( Anyway, today is not a bad day so I can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Hi All, when I suffered from panic attacks, I used this relaxation technique in the vids below and it helped me big time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Finnbar01#p/a/754B93F2A10B3445/0/_9MvQ8FCnws

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Sorry to hear so many people are having problems right now:(

I'm back to work this Monday which I am not looking forward to but I know I have to face. Quite nervous really, not panicking yet though so I'm thankful for that! Having a quite night in by myself this evening as my girlfriend is away for the night - I was quite worried about that actually as I haven't had much time with my thoughts since my recent blow-up. I'm going to watch a few dvd's, play a little xbox, just deal with things as they come and try not to let things get on top of me. Hope you all can try to enjoy the rest of the weekend, wherever you are and whatever you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Would love some advice from someone else in the same position...

Basically I have been suffering from depression the last ten years or so. I am usually ok for a year to 18 months and then it resurfaces. My GP has now referred me on to a doctor in the local psychiatric day hospital. She feels they will be better able to keep me on an even keel and prevent these relapses as these doctors are more adept at fine-tuning the medication. Personally I am really happy with my GP, she has always been terrific and I feel there is only so much the medication can do.

I am nervous at the thought of attending the doctor at the day hospital. I don't want to be either pigeon-holed or stigmatised. My GP has always been so supportive and discreet. I'm a very private person and the thoughts of going to this place makes me feel very anxious and exposed.

Has any one else been referred on by their GP to the public mental health/adult counselling services available, and if so, how has it been for you?

Thanks a million

Hi!

I was referred to my community mental health clinic/day hospital by my G.P. last year for the same reasons that your doctor told you.I have depression and anxiety problems.

Was absolutely dreading going down there for my first appointment because I was sure that it would be full of ''mad'' people and now I would be lumped in with them!

In reality though,the doctor(and all the staff that I encountered) that I saw was brilliant,she was very easy to talk to and explained everything about my meds and stuff.She also organised for me to see the psychologist there too and he's great as well and I meet him once a week just to talk about how I'm feeling etc..

I'm absolutely delighted with the service I've gotten there and also delighted that it's completely free,even my prescription,and I don't even have a medical card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I am nervous at the thought of attending the doctor at the day hospital. I don't want to be either pigeon-holed or stigmatised. My GP has always been so supportive and discreet. I'm a very private person and the thoughts of going to this place makes me feel very anxious and exposed.

:O Any healthcare professional in this country has to be discreet! Don't even worry about that aspect, they'll totally 100% respect your right to privacy.

I attend Ravenscourt Day Hospital in Cork and it's fantastic. The best thing that ever happened to me was being referred to their services. Attending any day hospital for psych services will enable you to attend different types of treatment that you would struggle to find and maybe even pay for in the private sector. I know myself that there is no way I could afford to pay, for the treatment I get, privately.

Go, absolutely go and keep your mind 100% open. It's the best thing you can do for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

Would love some advice from someone else in the same position...

Basically I have been suffering from depression the last ten years or so. I am usually ok for a year to 18 months and then it resurfaces. My GP has now referred me on to a doctor in the local psychiatric day hospital. She feels they will be better able to keep me on an even keel and prevent these relapses as these doctors are more adept at fine-tuning the medication. Personally I am really happy with my GP, she has always been terrific and I feel there is only so much the medication can do.

Has any one else been referred on by their GP to the public mental health/adult counselling services available, and if so, how has it been for you?

Thanks a million
    I was referred to my local day hospital, your privacy will be adhered some people will say hello and leave you to your own devices, you will not notice anything different, and it will help you in the long term. Take care.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

Good idea, get yourself into your comfort zone, sit back and just relax take care of yourself ok.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Sorry to hear so many people are having problems right now:(

I'm back to work this Monday which I am not looking forward to but I know I have to face. Quite nervous really, not panicking yet though so I'm thankful for that! Having a quite night in by myself this evening as my girlfriend is away for the night - I was quite worried about that actually as I haven't had much time with my thoughts since my recent blow-up. I'm going to watch a few dvd's, play a little xbox, just deal with things as they come and try not to let things get on top of me. Hope you all can try to enjoy the rest of the weekend, wherever you are and whatever you're doing.

OOH....there's a feeling I know. Being afraid of being on my own with my own thoughts.
    Did it go ok for you?? I'm unemployed right now, went through panic attacks over Christmas and Jan, and being on my own all day was like my own personal hell. Really. I feel your pain on that one. Your approach is good, deal with things as they come only. I hope the first day back today went ok too.

Just got another rejection email on the job front myself....bit disheartened to be honest. Pinning my long term hopes on possible emigration later in the year. It's the only way I can keep going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

OOH....there's a feeling I know. Being afraid of being on my own with my own thoughts.
    Did it go ok for you?? I'm unemployed right now, went through panic attacks over Christmas and Jan, and being on my own all day was like my own personal hell. Really. I feel your pain on that one. Your approach is good, deal with things as they come only. I hope the first day back today went ok too.

The weekend went a lot better than I expected actually, I was ok in my own company and managed to keep myself busy. The first day back at work,well I suppose the best thing I can say is that its over! People were decent enough, but there were one or two moments when I felt like running out of the place. I just need to give this time I guess.

I really hope things look up for you on the job front soon. I'm very lucky in that I have a pretty secure job, or as secure as it gets these days. Things are pretty grim in the country at the moment - do you have any destination in mind or mates you can go away with?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Hello,

I am new to this so I will try to keep it short. I am male and am 22.

I started attending a psychologist back in 09 due to crippling anxiety and fear. I could barely walk outside my home without some sort of irrational fear of being judged etc. Anyway, I went to the psychologist for 1 and a half years and, to be honest, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I left there every week feeling amazing about myself and my confidence grew an inordinate amount.

Although, that all went great, I feel like I am slowly slipping back. My confidence is still pretty splendid but there are certain things I worry about. These things are irrevocable and cannot be changed and I know that, but it still doesn't stop the worry. I just want the racing thoughts to stop. I just want to be happy again. Seriously, I am on the verge of cracking here. Exhaustion, fear of losing someone I REALLY like and non stop racing thoughts are plaguing me. I should undeniably stop talking to the person I like -- she's poison, I know this -- but I don't think I can curtail it. If I were to be wholeheartedly honest, I would say she's the main reason I am here. Can I really blame it all on her though? That's not fair. It's a long story between her and I so I won't elucidate too much.

I constantly think about the future. I say: "Oh, it will all be fine when this happens, or that happens." But obviously that's not the way to be and there's always another hurdle waiting for me once I jump one. It's like I am living some sort of life of escapism: that everything will be fine when I can emigrate and leave all this, but as a friend told me: "You don't leave the problems at the airport, you will still have the baggage when you land". It's quite poignant and I deny its credibility, but, deep down, I know it's true. I can't just run away, but I would give absolutely anything to go to the airport right now and hop on the next flight.. futile, eh?

You see, I don't have the money to return to a psychologist (is there free ones?). And I never really told my parents about any of this.

I saw a quote posted in After Hours by someone (can't remember who) and it sums up everything about the fear I have so succinctly:

"Some of the worst things in my life never happened"
    - Mark Twain

P.S. I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I just needed to vent..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hello,

I started attending a psychologist back in 09 due to crippling anxiety and fear. I could barely walk outside my home without some sort of irrational fear of being judged etc. Anyway, I went to the psychologist for 1 and a half years and, to be honest, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I left there every week feeling amazing about myself and my confidence grew an inordinate amount.

Although, that all went great, I feel like I am slowly slipping back. My confidence is still pretty splendid but there are certain things I worry about. These things are irrevocable and cannot be changed and I know that, but it still doesn't stop the worry. I just want the racing thoughts to stop. I just want to be happy again. Seriously, I am on the verge of cracking here. Exhaustion, fear of losing someone I REALLY like and non stop racing thoughts are plaguing me. I should undeniably stop talking to the person I like -- she's poison, I know this -- but I don't think I can curtail it. If I were to be wholeheartedly honest, I would say she's the main reason I am here. Can I really blame it all on her though? That's not fair. It's a long story between her and I so I won't elucidate too much.

I constantly think about the future. I say: "Oh, it will all be fine when this happens, or that happens." But obviously that's not the way to be and there's always another hurdle waiting for me once I jump one. It's like I am living some sort of life of escapism: that everything will be fine when I can emigrate and leave all this, but as a friend told me: "You don't leave the problems at the airport, you will still have the baggage when you land". It's quite poignant and I deny its credibility, but, deep down, I know it's true. I can't just run away, but I would give absolutely anything to go to the airport right now and hop on the next flight.. futile, eh?

You see, I don't have the money to return to a psychologist (is there free ones?). And I never really told my parents about any of this.

I saw a quote posted in After Hours by someone (can't remember who) and it sums up everything about the fear I have so succinctly:

- Mark Twain

P.S. I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I just needed to vent..

Sounds like you'll fit in here just fine.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone
    I have some questions. I hope somebody has the time/insight to answer.

Do people here have varying levels of anxiety?
    What physical symptoms do you have?

I think i might have anxiety or something similar. I'm wondering:
    Does anyone suffer from ONLY the physical symptoms of anxiety, and not the psychological symptoms?

I have ongoing problems with low energy and weakness.
    I get stiff muscles all over, especially in situations like on a bus or in a waiting room.
    I have restless leg constantly.
    Stress or shocks make me physically ill.
    I feel like crying sometimes for no reason.
    I get palpitations and panicky feelings.
    Sometimes at night I'm "wired but tired".

However, I'm never irrational. Even when I'm having all of those symptoms, my thoughts are usually clear and calm.

Sometimes I wonder if I might have a problem with sugar levels or chronic fatigue or whatever, but other times I think maybe medication for anxiety would sort out these very physical problems.

Sounds like anxiety?
    Anyone- Please respond!

Hello,

- Mark Twain

Hey there,

I think it's great that you got confidence back after your minor setback in 09. It's a hard thing to recover from..i've been feeling like everyone notices me every time I leave the house for a few years now (like a celebrity but without the status :) ) It's a battle to face each day but i'm glad you've got a grip on it.

Personally I don't think anyone is worth going back to feeling that way for but i understand that sometimes the emotional pull is just to much to break free from & feelings just aren't rational.

Not sure about a free psychologist but if you're a student you can probably access free college counselling services.

Can i ask how you got over your fear of going out?

Hey there,

I think it's great that you got confidence back after your minor setback in 09. It's a hard thing to recover from..i've been feeling like everyone notices me every time I leave the house for a few years now (like a celebrity but without the status :) ) It's a battle to face each day but i'm glad you've got a grip on it.

Personally I don't think anyone is worth going back to feeling that way for but i understand that sometimes the emotional pull is just to much to break free from & feelings just aren't rational.

Not sure about a free psychologist but if you're a student you can probably access free college counselling services.

Can i ask how you got over your fear of going out?

Thanks for reading and for what you said. I'll look into seeing the college counsellor. :)

I can relate to what you're going through. I used to think everybody was thinking about me if they drove or walked by and were judging my clothes, looks etc.

Through talking to the psychologist I basically overcame all that. She made me see that there was absolutely no basis for my fears. I did one thing a week or so that would challenge me: like wear a shirt out. Yes, seriously, I wasn't even able to wear a shirt without fear, but once I wore it once it became easier. It's hard to describe but the psychologist just pushed me to take risks and see that nobody actually cares what you're doing. So, basically it was the psychologist doing whatever she does. I suppose she just built up my confidence.

I hope that helps a small bit. I am a bit tired so can't think too clearly. :P

Good luck!

Thanks for reading and for what you said. I'll look into seeing the college counsellor. :)

I can relate to what you're going through. I used to think everybody was thinking about me if they drove or walked by and were judging my clothes, looks etc.

Through talking to the psychologist I basically overcame all that. She made me see that there was absolutely no basis for my fears. I did one thing a week or so that would challenge me: like wear a shirt out. Yes, seriously, I wasn't even able to wear a shirt without fear, but once I wore it once it became easier. It's hard to describe but the psychologist just pushed me to take risks and see that nobody actually cares what you're doing. So, basically it was the psychologist doing whatever she does. I suppose she just built up my confidence.

Good luck!

Well it's a free resource available to you so why not. They can advise you better than anyone on here can, although we know how it feels & they can't always understand but maybe a combination of both can help you.

That's exactly how i feel, logically i know they can't be looking at me any more than anyone else but that's not how it feels. I've been attending a psychologist for a few years but haven't had a breakthrough like yours. Maybe coz i'm like "are you serious" when she suggests doing things too much outside my comfort zone. I did try before but had a setback after a while so a bit shaky since then. Will definately try again, you're an inspiration. :)

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Good luck!

I have been seeing a college counsellor up until recently and it's a really fantastic service. Avail of it if it's there.

Thanks people!

The reason I haven't really used the college counselling service thus-far is because I am not usually in college! I am an apprentice Electrician and I only get to spend 11 weeks in college for any length of time, but they did say I can avail of those services up until this September.

Best of luck to everyone.

zzzzzzzzzz wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I have some questions. I hope somebody has the time/insight to answer.

Do people here have varying levels of anxiety?
    What physical symptoms do you have?

I think i might have anxiety or something similar. I'm wondering:
    Does anyone suffer from ONLY the physical symptoms of anxiety, and not the psychological symptoms?

I have ongoing problems with low energy and weakness.
    I get stiff muscles all over, especially in situations like on a bus or in a waiting room.
    I have restless leg constantly.
    Stress or shocks make me physically ill.
    I feel like crying sometimes for no reason.
    I get palpitations and panicky feelings.
    Sometimes at night I'm "wired but tired".

However, I'm never irrational. Even when I'm having all of those symptoms, my thoughts are usually clear and calm.

Sometimes I wonder if I might have a problem with sugar levels or chronic fatigue or whatever, but other times I think maybe medication for anxiety would sort out these very physical problems.

Sounds like anxiety?
    Anyone- Please respond!

I don't think any of us can tell you whether your issue is anxiety, or chronic fatigue, or something else. I know this is a boring answer, but you really need to ask a doctor about it..

I do believe it's possible to have certain physical symptoms of panic without the corresponding panicky feelings. I have plenty of heart palpitations, and have been told by a doctor that this is anxiety-related, even though I can have crazy palpitations while I'm feeling pretty relaxed, sitting and watching TV or something.

I really couldn't say whether the same applies to things like stiff muscles, low energy or restless legs.

Like you I get physically ill (throwing up) when I feel shocked/stressed. That's a sign of high sensitivity to anxiety, imo. But again, nobody here can diagnose you, so I hope you'll ask your doctor about it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Think I need you guys today. It just feels like i'm fading away and becomming less and less. I'm loosing more people, not that i ever had many. But it's my own fault. I cut myself off. It's easier and safer to just be alone all the time. I find myself hoping people won't call over to see me. The one or two people that did talk to me don't any more. It's like i don't exist. It hit me again yesterday that i won't ever get married (which honestly doesn't bother me) or I won't ever live with someone or have kids so for the rest of my life i'll be alone. I'll die alone. I'll be old alone. I don't want anyone around me right now. I don't want to talk to anyone from one end of the day to the other. I wish i didn't have this life. It's so pointless.

phi3 wrote: »
    Think I need you guys today. It just feels like i'm fading away and becomming less and less. I'm loosing more people, not that i ever had many. But it's my own fault. I cut myself off. It's easier and safer to just be alone all the time. I find myself hoping people won't call over to see me. The one or two people that did talk to me don't any more. It's like i don't exist. It hit me again yesterday that i won't ever get married (which honestly doesn't bother me) or I won't ever live with someone or have kids so for the rest of my life i'll be alone. I'll die alone. I'll be old alone. I don't want anyone around me right now. I don't want to talk to anyone from one end of the day to the other. I wish i didn't have this life. It's so pointless.

I know what you mean about losing people -- I have cut myself off from almost everyone.

You don't know the future though, you really don't. Maybe you'll never live with anyone, and maybe you will. Even the most confident and happy people can't know where they'll be in 10 years.

I am going to be annoying and post the link to the 49up video again, just because I like it; it's full of hope: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcMWAWaXWhg

You can talk to us here any day. I hope you feel a bit better soon.

• Advertisement

I feel absolutely terrible,was down at my new clinic (which is in a very deprived area) this morning seeing my new psychiatrist and it was packed with miserable,drugged up 40/50 yo guys and I can't get it out of my mind that that is what I'm going to look like and be like in 20 years.Scares the hell out of me,I wish I could just snap out of this depression and anxiety and be a normal person!

Psychiatrist gave me a 2 month script for anti-d's and new sleeping pills and I dont have to go back there til June which is a slight positive I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement