Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tags

Have a family do on this evening and I'm really not looking forward to it. My throat is real acidy and I'm gagging already.

Also I'm due back in work Monday after being out sick with my nerves for three weeks. I don't know if I can face that either. There's so much pressure to go back there. I hate it there but I worry about the future if I didn't have the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dudes I'm in a real bad place right now, I've been on a downhill for quite a while and I realize now I gotta go back for help. I've been on anti d's before and had some councilling, I thought things had gotten better in my life and was hoping I woldnt end up back here, but I have. Im getting panicy and anxious about work and just want to get away from everyone. the feeling Ive made nothing of my life not performaning in an entry level job on **** money. I know people have things an awful lot worse, but alot of their stuff was beyond their control. (being made redundant, getting ill, berievement etc) man i dont know what i want to say here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Another crap weekend,my friend invited me out with his work friends and even though they were all the same age as me or younger I just couldn't relate to them when they were talking about holidays/girlfriends/normal stuff etc and then I got completely anxious that they all thought I was a weirdo which made me feel like a complete and utter failure at life.I ended up making an excuse about not feeling well and went home early.

Think I'm going to have to avoid being around people as much as possible from now on,all these meds and counselling dont seem to be working,they're making things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

phi3 wrote: »
    Is depression a psychological / emotional condition?
    Depression a psychological conditions. It makes me feel I cannot trust anyone and I am on my own. Nobody cares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Does anyone know if doctors are open on good friday. Off topic, sorry. Hate phone calls so trying to avoid unnecessary ones. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dillisk

Hi all.
    I was diagnosed as having depression and social anxiety about 7-8 months ago. I am unemployed and am almost a complete social recluse. I have been seeing a therapist who is really kind and understanding. I also attend an outpatient clinic every 2-3 months. I was on effexor 75mg but this made my anxiety worse or else I imagined it. I then started on Prozac but my prescription ran out after 2 weeks. I have another prescription but this brings me to the crux of my problem.
    I have a massive fear of going to get prescriptions filled. I hate the way the Pharmacist looks at you and knows your name. I know that they are professionals and have to check you out in case you are abusing drugs or have false prescriptions.
    It takes me a few days to motivate myself to go. When I am done I feel no relief only the dread of knowing it will all start again in a month. The annoying thing is that I think the prozac was starting to work.

Sorry about long post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

hi all

I often read this thread and can't remember if I have ever posted in it before.

I've had depression for years, many miserable years undiagnosed.

I fought against every feeling that I didn't want to be on anti-depressants. I hated everything that they represented, the stigma etc..

Even as I took them I fought it, always thinking I'd be grand in a bit, I'd take myself off them and then crash wallop.. about 6 months of hell.

I've been doing much better the last few years.. and have been reducing (with my doctors help) the dosage over the past few years.

I think the only thing that has changed is that I have accepted the fact that I may be on medication for the rest of my life...

I'm good at the moment, as most of you know that could change in a matter of hours :(

But some things I've learnt over the years, it might help someone :)*

Try and get a good doctor that you can chat with, this makes all the difference. If you don't feel your doctor is helping you, get another doctor.

Anti-depressants - there are lots of different types, and as everybody is different, YOU and your doctor need to work together and find out which one is the best for you. Don't go googling about your particular brand looking for side effects/problems. Each drug acts differently on each person and each persons' brain is different. It can take 6 - 8 weeks for them to kick in or kick out (if changing brand or dosage)

Confide in good friends only - some people cannot understand depression - that is their lack of understanding - not anything wrong with you. Avoid negative whiny bitchy gossipy type of people/friends. They drain you.

Work - I have never disclosed my depression in any job, it has never been an issue. I did not feel that any company needed to know my personal business as it did not affect my job. I might have collapsed in a heap at the end of the day when I got home but it didn't affect my job.

Counselling - didn't work for me, but I did try. It does not suit everyone.

Excercise - I try and walk at least half hour a day - it does make a huge difference to my mood.

Viewing - Sounds silly, but I can't deal with watching upsetting TV.. world tradgedy etc, sounds petty but my brain absorbs all the horror and brings me down, so I avoid it.

Alcohol - I don't really drink when in anti-depressants..it just makes me feel crap for about a week after - not hangover crap just miserably down and meh! I do love the odd glass of wine when dining.

Talk - it's always good to talk - sometimes I have to force myself to call a friend - I don't talk to them about how I'm feeling - it's just chatting and honestly it makes a difference.

Help - there is always someone to help - if you think you are suffering from depression, talk to your doctor or call the samaritans - there is always help available.

:)

* All of the above is my own personal thoughts and it might make sense to someone.
    I wish I could have had somewhere like this to post when I was younger and just thought that I was going mad!

Best of luck to you all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Plumeria

Dillisk wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I was diagnosed as having depression and social anxiety about 7-8 months ago. I am unemployed and am almost a complete social recluse. I have been seeing a therapist who is really kind and understanding. I also attend an outpatient clinic every 2-3 months. I was on effexor 75mg but this made my anxiety worse or else I imagined it. I then started on Prozac but my prescription ran out after 2 weeks. I have another prescription but this brings me to the crux of my problem.
    I have a massive fear of going to get prescriptions filled. I hate the way the Pharmacist looks at you and knows your name. I know that they are professionals and have to check you out in case you are abusing drugs or have false prescriptions.
    It takes me a few days to motivate myself to go. When I am done I feel no relief only the dread of knowing it will all start again in a month. The annoying thing is that I think the prozac was starting to work.

Sorry about long post

I know it's very hard to get past some fears, but keep in mind that pharmacies dispense anti-depressants to people every single day. It's so common they'd have to be pretty odd pharmacists to even bat an eyelid at you coming in to get an anti-depressant prescription filled.

Maybe you'd feel a bit better about going to a big, busy pharmacy with your prescription; somewhere like Boots? Extra sense of anonymity in those places.

Dudes I'm in a real bad place right now, I've been on a downhill for quite a while and I realize now I gotta go back for help. I've been on anti d's before and had some councilling, I thought things had gotten better in my life and was hoping I woldnt end up back here, but I have. Im getting panicy and anxious about work and just want to get away from everyone. the feeling Ive made nothing of my life not performaning in an entry level job on **** money. I know people have things an awful lot worse, but alot of their stuff was beyond their control. (being made redundant, getting ill, berievement etc) man i dont know what i want to say here...

Give yourself what you'd probably give someone else in your position - some credit and some forgiveness.
    You manage to go to work despite your anxiety - you deserve credit for that. Maybe you have fallen down in some areas of life so far -- forgive yourself for that. And remember there's always time to improve things.

Good idea to go back and look for some help; it takes courage to realise it and look for it. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2011/0419/1224294972488.html

Good article in the Irish Times and I saw the Late Late Show last Friday. It's good to see mental health and depression being talked about more but I wonder how long will it last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

well things are just getting worse and worse for me. my doctor's insisting i go to a psychiatrist now, which i thought was good. went for the appointment monday morning. was two hours or more there. with two ignorant students for about an hour or so first. both of them could not stop playing with their phones. seriously. here i am being asked questions about how suicidal i am and then there's a 'tap tap tap' from the guy sitting beside me. and whenever i mentioned something like the things i'd be thinking, the main guy just goes sorry to hear that, reeled off like a script.

then eventually got to the main psych woman, after repeating everything i just said to th other two, she said i'm to go back on the efexor (despite the terrible withdrawal I had) and she's going to up the dose. asked if i wanted to see a psych, i said yes (of course!) and she said right come back in about 3 weeks.... :eek: then went to make the appointment and they have none, for a minimum of 8 weeks! guess how low i came out of there feeling. after telling him of the lows that i've been experiencing lately, they're just happy to send you away.

i'm fed up. fed up of everything. and this is still how you get treated. i mean wtf. you look for help and still cant get it!?

anyone know anything about the aware groups that are going? i'd like to know if anyone has found them any good. as i'm actually in dublin now, a place where supposedly has facilities for this kind of thing.

Sorry to hear that you had such a crap time at the psychs.

I'm guessing that it was a HSE public psych clinic?when I went to mine for the first time I was very dissappointed by the service I got because I had built it up so much in my head about what it would be like,but after a few more visits things got better,I also had to wait about 9 weeks for an appointment with the psychologist but now I see him every week,my advice would be to stick it out,it's worth it in the end.

I've never been to an aware meeting myself(can't find the courage!) but know somebody who has and she said it was good,they also host an online support group on their site which is helpful enough too,theres one on tonight at 7.30pm.All you have to do is register on the site,it's completely anonymous.

Hope you feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Sorry to hear that your experience with the HSE psych services was so bad stupidusername. I would strongly advise you to complain about how you were treated to the main psych. You could also ask them the next time if they had any nurse support services which you might be able to avail of. Definitely check out aware meetings too. 100% anonymous and lovely people, you'll find great peer support there.

I'm off on a week long silent retreat in a few weeks, finally got around to booking it yesterday. Mindfulness has been the best and most effective "treatment" I've had, can't recommend it enough.

Completely crashing today. Burst into tears in front of my mother and told her I can't cope and I feel overwhelmed. She just looked at me totally confused. My mother is a lovely person - just doesn't know how to deal with me.

So much for my positive post a couple of days ago. I have no control over my emotions. Wish so badly I could escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

I empathise with you Plumeria.

Yesterday was the worst day ever for me. I, too, burst into tears in front of someone. I am so close to the edge. I merely want to be happy, yet my mind won't grant me it.

*Sighs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dillisk

Plumeria wrote: »
    Completely crashing today. Burst into tears in front of my mother and told her I can't cope and I feel overwhelmed. She just looked at me totally confused. My mother is a lovely person - just doesn't know how to deal with me.

So much for my positive post a couple of days ago. I have no control over my emotions. Wish so badly I could escape.

Really sorry to hear that. My parents were the same, traditional Irish stoic types. No one ever gets depression, they are just a bit out of sorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mdan

Hi,
    anyone out there suffering from panic and anxiety attacks. Am thinking about hypnotheraphy - have tried everything else - tablets, vitamins, acupuncture, breathing, psychotheraphy, books, cds etc....the list goes on as anyone who suffers will only know!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated xx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi mdan.

Sorry to hear you're unwell, however, this forum is for new boards.ie users to become familiar with the site and for questions regarding how to post, and so on.

I'm going to move this thread to a forum where you will hopefully get some helpful replies ok?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved to LTI from Newbies & FAQ with redirect expiring in 7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

mdan wrote: »
    Hi,
    anyone out there suffering from panic and anxiety attacks. Am thinking about hypnotheraphy - have tried everything else - tablets, vitamins, acupuncture, breathing, psychotheraphy, books, cds etc....the list goes on as anyone who suffers will only know!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated xx

hypnotherapy is quackery , no evidence that it works

• Advertisement

mdan wrote: »
    Hi,

Hey mdan, no idea about hypnotherapy but would recommend mindful meditation or regular yoga. www.mindfulness.ie (no affiliation to this site, I attended mbsr classes via the HSE psychiatric services as I've previously mentioned).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Argh, I just realised I haven't taken my Lexapro for about a week or so. :( That's probably not good. I didn't intentionally stop it, just got distracted by other illnesses that decided to creep up on me all at the same time. And now I'm freaking out slightly, for no other reason than knowing I haven't taken it properly for a while. Well that, and dwelling on the past too much. (Being sick => having time alone with thoughts => thinking about things you shouldn't think about => Getting worked up and sad => More likely to get run down and sick again.) Ugh, vicious circle is vicious.

Honestly the thought of ever coming off anti-depressants is terrifying. It's basically been told "you no longer have an excuse to fall back on when you fúck up stuff in your life". Even days when I feel ok, I can't imagine there not being a safety net of some sort. Because every time I feel good, I know it's gonna just lead to another fall. Such is the way of life.

Did you not get any withdrawal symptoms from not taking the lexapro?I forgot to take my citalopram for a few days around xmas last year and I had blinding headaches and was vomitting quite a bit.

I know what you mean in regards to the fear of coming off the meds,it's like someone has taken away your lifejacket and asked you to swim on your own,seems very,very daunting!.I don't think that I'll will ever be med free if I'm honest,I'll always be on at least a small dose of lithium according to the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm a first time poster to this board

I'm sorry to anyone in advance who feels this is a stupid or insensitive question

But how do you know when your depressed?

I've been depressed before as in lying in bed, crying all day, not eating or taking an interest in anything. It was caused by an experience in my life that I dealt with last year and thankfully those dark days are gone.

But I still feel like crap. I'm down all the time, I can function, I can get up now and take care of the kids, go into work, have a laugh, enjoy myself but its all under a cloud of sadness that I just can't shake.

I find when bad things happen ( and there has been a run on them lately ) I carry it around and can't think about anything else. I feel everything is a real struggle.

People I've told think I'm just normal given the general mood of the country at the moment, my husband tells me that everyone feels the same but sometimes I just can't stop crying and often I don't even know why :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Argh, I just realised I haven't taken my Lexapro for about a week or so. :( That's probably not good. I didn't intentionally stop it, just got distracted by other illnesses that decided to creep up on me all at the same time. And now I'm freaking out slightly, for no other reason than knowing I haven't taken it properly for a while. Well that, and dwelling on the past too much. (Being sick => having time alone with thoughts => thinking about things you shouldn't think about => Getting worked up and sad => More likely to get run down and sick again.) Ugh, vicious circle is vicious.

Honestly the thought of ever coming off anti-depressants is terrifying. It's basically been told "you no longer have an excuse to fall back on when you fúck up stuff in your life". Even days when I feel ok, I can't imagine there not being a safety net of some sort. Because every time I feel good, I know it's gonna just lead to another fall. Such is the way of life.

Ive had the same problem what with a very bad chest infection i forgot to take my ciprimal daily. what was going on with my chest, my gp refering me to the a&e for oxygen etc

anyway now that the infection is easing my toughts went back to the depression. so after a week i went back on the cipramil and seem ok

The only odd thing is when i was sick with the chest infection all my head toughts were gone

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mdan

i take ciprimal 20mg...whats your dosage - mine for anxiety and panic attacks - sometimes i dont even think they are working to be honest - i suppose i could up the dosage but i am trying to stop them so am going to try the hypnotheraphy next week - it just might do the trick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Did you not get any withdrawal symptoms from not taking the lexapro?I forgot to take my citalopram for a few days around xmas last year and I had blinding headaches and was vomitting quite a bit.
    No, no withdrawal symptoms. I was already dealing with the worst bout of tonsilitis I've ever had and a constant skin ithc that turned out to be scabies *shudder* so I think my body was just too busy to deal with any more crap!
    I know what you mean in regards to the fear of coming off the meds,it's like someone has taken away your lifejacket and asked you to swim on your own,seems very,very daunting!.I don't think that I'll will ever be med free if I'm honest,I'll always be on at least a small dose of lithium according to the doctor.
    My doctor has hinted about taking me off them before; she's only keeping me on 20mg until my exams are out of the way.
    After that, she'll probably knock it down to 10, or maybe even 5 for a little. And then, it'll probably be nothing. :( If I'm feeling much better by that time, I'll be delighted to be off them. But if not, and things start going shít again.....ugh, I don't even want to think about it.
    bob50 wrote: »
    Ive had the same problem what with a very bad chest infection i forgot to take my ciprimal daily. what was going on with my chest, my gp refering me to the a&e for oxygen etc

anyway now that the infection is easing my toughts went back to the depression. so after a week i went back on the cipramil and seem ok

The only odd thing is when i was sick with the chest infection all my head toughts were gone
    For me, I found that when I was sick and couldn't really do much, I ended up with more bad thoughts because I just had nothing else to distract me. I'm glad the bad thoughts disappeared for you though; couldn't have been easy dealing with them while simultaneously battling a chest infection.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm a first time poster to this board

I'm sorry to anyone in advance who feels this is a stupid or insensitive question

But how do you know when your depressed?

I've been depressed before as in lying in bed, crying all day, not eating or taking an interest in anything. It was caused by an experience in my life that I dealt with last year and thankfully those dark days are gone.

But I still feel like crap. I'm down all the time, I can function, I can get up now and take care of the kids, go into work, have a laugh, enjoy myself but its all under a cloud of sadness that I just can't shake.

I find when bad things happen ( and there has been a run on them lately ) I carry it around and can't think about anything else. I feel everything is a real struggle.

People I've told think I'm just normal given the general mood of the country at the moment, my husband tells me that everyone feels the same but sometimes I just can't stop crying and often I don't even know why :confused::confused:

It's quite difficult to diagnose depression, and no-one here can diagnose you. Go to a GP and tell them your concerns. Make sure you go seek medical advice; if it is depression, then it's only going to get worse the longer it's left untreated.

My oh's father passed away 2 days ago, in the middle of the silent retreat. It's amazing how different you feel about yourself when you concentrate all of your emotions and strength and thoughts on someone else. I feel crushed for my oh, but the past few days I've felt stronger and more in control of myself than I have in years. I feel able.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

I was crossing the road a couple of days ago and I came close to this car zooming past, now for the past while all I can think about is how easy it would have been to just stop. Stop feeling like me. Ugh.
    Moan over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I suppose what I'm asking is can anyone use this form or is it only for those diagnosed and on medication? I don't want to take medication. I just need to have a place I can talk without fear of being told to pull myself together which is the response I get from the people around me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement