Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Had a really shit appointment with my psychiatrist this morning. She's so lovely, and I've been doing well lately, but argh. Sometimes I truly do feel like I am banging my head off a brick wall. I was trying to tell her that yeah, I am doing better, but I still don't feel like I am getting the most out of life. And it isn't like it has taken no effort for me to be doing better. It's been hard.

I dunno. The sheer effort involved just to get to this point makes me wonder is this all there is? And if this is it, tbh, I'm a little disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I was crossing the road a couple of days ago and I came close to this car zooming past, now for the past while all I can think about is how easy it would have been to just stop. Stop feeling like me. Ugh.
    Moan over.
    I think things like that all the time. Not doing too bad the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm a first time poster to this board

I'm sorry to anyone in advance who feels this is a stupid or insensitive question

But how do you know when your depressed?

I've been depressed before as in lying in bed, crying all day, not eating or taking an interest in anything. It was caused by an experience in my life that I dealt with last year and thankfully those dark days are gone.

But I still feel like crap. I'm down all the time, I can function, I can get up now and take care of the kids, go into work, have a laugh, enjoy myself but its all under a cloud of sadness that I just can't shake.

I find when bad things happen ( and there has been a run on them lately ) I carry it around and can't think about anything else. I feel everything is a real struggle.

People I've told think I'm just normal given the general mood of the country at the moment, my husband tells me that everyone feels the same but sometimes I just can't stop crying and often I don't even know why :confused::confused:

you know when your depressed , like being in love , no one can tell you , you just know

once depression enters your life , it never really leaves , a part of you dies and you have to live with the loss for the rest of your life , no matter how well things are going in your life , thier is always that empty feeling that something is missing , depression removes the sense of child like wonder you once had about life , thier is a permanent cloud over your head and things are forever that bit darker , it can never be beaten entirely , i got it 1st in 1998 and everything changed utterly , i have since learned that in order to deal with it , i must lower my expectations about life and enjoy the simple things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

eviltwin wrote: »
    I suppose what I'm asking is can anyone use this form or is it only for those diagnosed and on medication? I don't want to take medication. I just need to have a place I can talk without fear of being told to pull myself together which is the response I get from the people around me.

Dude, I started this thread and I'm not diagnosed or on medication. I just needed to be able to talk to people who understood. Even about th simple things. I mean saying to most people I wanted to go wherever but I just couldn't, they wouldn't understand but here I know people know exactly what I mean. Feel free to talk about whatever you need to. It just might make you, or someone else feel a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

mdan wrote: »
    i take ciprimal 20mg...whats your dosage - mine for anxiety and panic attacks - sometimes i dont even think they are working to be honest - i suppose i could up the dosage but i am trying to stop them so am going to try the hypnotheraphy next week - it just might do the trick :)

Same here i am on 20mg cipramil for anxiety and panic attacks agree with you i dont know if they are working tbh

Anyway i'll stay on them for the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 mdan

i had a birthday party today for my son and for the first time i was so busy i forgot to take my ciprimil, i hadnt had time all day to listen to the mad thoughts in my head (i know all you guys know what i mean when i say that..)
    the stupid thing is i started to think oh my god what will happen to me now etc..etc.. this illness can really get you down i swear - guess what i will be taking tomorrow?????

just wondering - you know with the meds you cant drink alcohol and of course the way i think because my anxiety is all health related i wouldnt dare have a drink incase i get some sort of reaction or heart attack (again i know only you guys understand the thoughts..) is there anyone out there taking ciprimil and having a drink and doing ok - would love the odd glass of wine at home xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Plumeria

just wondering - you know with the meds you cant drink alcohol and of course the way i think because my anxiety is all health related i wouldnt dare have a drink incase i get some sort of reaction or heart attack (again i know only you guys understand the thoughts..) is there anyone out there taking ciprimil and having a drink and doing ok - would love the odd glass of wine at home xx

I asked my psychiatrist if it was OK to drink while on my meds and she said yes, it's fine to have a couple of drinks. Just not bingeing.

The meds can magnify the effects of alcohol, so if you had a 'limit' of 3 glasses before, that limit may now be lower.

No harm in ringing your doctor to ask and make sure.

Argh, I just realised I haven't taken my Lexapro for about a week or so. :( That's probably not good. I didn't intentionally stop it, just got distracted by other illnesses that decided to creep up on me all at the same time. And now I'm freaking out slightly, for no other reason than knowing I haven't taken it properly for a while. Well that, and dwelling on the past too much. (Being sick => having time alone with thoughts => thinking about things you shouldn't think about => Getting worked up and sad => More likely to get run down and sick again.) Ugh, vicious circle is vicious.

Honestly the thought of ever coming off anti-depressants is terrifying. It's basically been told "you no longer have an excuse to fall back on when you fúck up stuff in your life". Even days when I feel ok, I can't imagine there not being a safety net of some sort. Because every time I feel good, I know it's gonna just lead to another fall. Such is the way of life.

When I stopped Cymbalta I didn't do it the proper way, i.e. I didn't reduce my dose gradually, and I had only mild withdrawals - no nausea or headaches.
    About 3 or 4 days after stopping the meds I started to feel light-headed, tired, and my eyesight felt slow/unfocussed. If I glanced quickly at anything, I'd see double for half a second before focussing - pretty much how your eyesight goes when you're really drunk. Not sure if anyone can relate to that.
    Anyway, a few days later I was back to normal (if you can call me normal). So you can be lucky and get off meds without too much hassle.

I'm not on any meds now, but I wouldn't rule it out for the future. Right now I have no safety net aside from chats with my psychiatrist. If I could afford to visit her every 2 weeks (which she recommended), I would. I can sort of afford to see her every 6 weeks now.
    I have doubts about whether seeing her will help me in any deep way, especially when my visits are sporadic, but at the moment it comforts me to know she's there.

Has anyone here ever been on a MAOI? My previous GP once mentioned it to me as an anti-depressant which can only be prescribed by psychiatrists, and then it was never mentioned again. Curious if anyone has had experience with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

No matter how far I think I progress, I make the same mistakes again.....:)

i had a birthday party today for my son and for the first time i was so busy i forgot to take my ciprimil, i hadnt had time all day to listen to the mad thoughts in my head (i know all you guys know what i mean when i say that..)
    the stupid thing is i started to think oh my god what will happen to me now etc..etc.. this illness can really get you down i swear - guess what i will be taking tomorrow?????

Well for me i take a few drinks 5 days a week and i am on cipramil last eight years so for me anyway i havent had any bad reactions

Ask your doc if its ok for you to have a drink

• Advertisement

Thanks guys...the doc says a glass of wine is ok so maybe i will brave it sometime soon when im having a good day:)

Hey Bob50 - I didnt take my ciprimil today so now thats 2 days in a row - what do you think - should I keep going? Im feeling ok and would love to stop...
    I think Im going to give it a shot - take every day as it comes do some exercise to keep the old serotonin going and hopefully keep busy and try not to be thinking mad stuff :eek:

this is also really helping me as i had to give up going to psych - too expensive trying to do everything so thanx guys really helping me xxx

Thanks guys...the doc says a glass of wine is ok so maybe i will brave it sometime soon when im having a good day:)

Hey Bob50 - I didnt take my ciprimil today so now thats 2 days in a row - what do you think - should I keep going? Im feeling ok and would love to stop...
    I think Im going to give it a shot - take every day as it comes do some exercise to keep the old serotonin going and hopefully keep busy and try not to be thinking mad stuff :eek:

this is also really helping me as i had to give up going to psych - too expensive trying to do everything so thanx guys really helping me xxx

what is the dose of cipramil your taking ? maybe if you can drop down a dose but as always discuss with your doc

for me i was on 30mg daily then went down to20mg theni went down to 10mg last summer was ok on it Then before xmas i got bad again

went back up to 20mg and still on that stenght Mind you when i had bad chest infection the head was the least of my worries. So hopefully i can get back to 10mg then 5mg by August

Hope it works out for you

was on 20mg 2 years and then when down to 10mgs in febthis year by breaking the tablet - now just stopping - im taking vitamin b, and omegas as these help the nervous system - recommended by acupuncturist.
    Also cutting out sugary foods as these tend to drive the adrenaline a bit mad so sticking to healthy diet and cant do much more only see how it goes - fingers crossed for you Bob50 that you can cut down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

was on 20mg 2 years and then when down to 10mgs in febthis year by breaking the tablet - now just stopping - im taking vitamin b, and omegas as these help the nervous system - recommended by acupuncturist.
    Also cutting out sugary foods as these tend to drive the adrenaline a bit mad so sticking to healthy diet and cant do much more only see how it goes - fingers crossed for you Bob50 that you can cut down :)
    I really hope this works for you. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys!

I wonder do I have anxiety? I feel nervous walking down the street- feel lightheaded and afraid of fainting. I think I'll go see my gp 2moro. HAve not been sleeping well at all either. I am very happy in myself apart from this anxious feeling that I am weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tags

I've been on Lyrica for the last two weeks for the aul panic attacks and general anxiety. Just went onto the higher dose two days ago. It's making my stomach uncomfortable, like I have that acidy feeling in my throat. But if it eases the nerves twill be a price worth paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dillisk

Tags wrote: »
    I've been on Lyrica for the last two weeks for the aul panic attacks and general anxiety. Just went onto the higher dose two days ago. It's making my stomach uncomfortable, like I have that acidy feeling in my throat. But if it eases the nerves twill be a price worth paying.

Hey tags, I just got a note from psychiatrist/ outpatient clinic for Lyrica for anxiety. He made it sound really good and said it wasnt addictive or habit forming.
    Just wondering have you felt any positive effects. will try to get a prescription soon.

/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Hi guys!

I wonder do I have anxiety? I feel nervous walking down the street- feel lightheaded and afraid of fainting. I think I'll go see my gp 2moro. HAve not been sleeping well at all either. I am very happy in myself apart from this anxious feeling that I am weak.

we cant diagnose you here. best bet is speak to your GP

Very on-edge. I think I'll make an appointment with the psychiatrist sometime next week.

I'm wondering if I should ask her about a diagnosis. I'd love to have some information to work with so I could feel less confused, even if the information is "I think you're normal".

Is it possible that she's never going to talk to me about a diagnosis? Do some psychiatrists not do the diagnosis bit?

Anyway I'm likely to chicken out of asking her, because I'm scared to seem rude. Sorry for this rant.

Feeling strangely low today.got these weird feelings doing my shopping.under so much pressure and very sick.i cant ever seem to get anything sorted.getting fleeting suicidal thoughts more like clinical than emotional.so probably down to withdrawal.still scarey.but also feeling constantly overwhelmed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tags

Dillisk wrote: »
    Hey tags, I just got a note from psychiatrist/ outpatient clinic for Lyrica for anxiety. He made it sound really good and said it wasnt addictive or habit forming.
    Just wondering have you felt any positive effects. will try to get a prescription soon./

Hey Dillisk. I've only been on it for about 3 weeks. Nothing really noticeable so far. These things take time to get going though it seems so fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

Feeling strangely low today.got these weird feelings doing my shopping.under so much pressure and very sick.i cant ever seem to get anything sorted.getting fleeting suicidal thoughts more like clinical than emotional.so probably down to withdrawal.still scarey.but also feeling constantly overwhelmed.
    I am sorry to see that you feel overwhelmed, take each day one at a time, see what needs to be done and put on some music that you like do the most urgent with a promise that if you can get this done by such an such a time you will reward yourself with something nice. You do not feel overwhelmed but hopefull will find yourself relaxed with the music and the promise. Go on from there. It really does work with setting relastic goals and promises of something nice for you to do one thing or whatever at a time in a relaxed manner. Take care.

margarite wrote: »
    I am sorry to see that you feel overwhelmed, take each day one at a time, see what needs to be done and put on some music that you like do the most urgent with a promise that if you can get this done by such an such a time you will reward yourself with something nice. You do not feel overwhelmed but hopefull will find yourself relaxed with the music and the promise. Go on from there. It really does work with setting relastic goals and promises of something nice for you to do one thing or whatever at a time in a relaxed manner. Take care.

Its a bit more complex than that.nothing gets solved by listening to music.i appreciate the input but for me at least its no use.taking things one day at a time used to be my way but cant approach everything like that.and things keep happening so you cant ignore them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Its a bit more complex than that.nothing gets solved by listening to music.i appreciate the input but for me at least its no use.taking things one day at a time used to be my way but cant approach everything like that.and things keep happening so you cant ignore them

Eg-****ing-zactly!!
    I wish that I had the balls to tell my psychologist that!

Eg-****ing-zactly!!
    I wish that I had the balls to tell my psychologist that!

Why what does he/she tell you?

Just ''to enjoy the moment and immerse yourself in life and try to forget about my worries'' and to ''approach each day positively'' and that sort of stuff,it sounds good and I know that he probably means well,but it's not much use in reality,unfortunately.

I've only seen one counsellor but to me that sounds like a complete waste of time.may be hard to do but I recommend finding someone different.they're meant to be working through your problems not just telling you to be positive.doesn't sound like he knows what depression is

Can't really find anyone different because I see him in a HSE clinic,and I wasn't really given a choice,plus the service is free and I can't afford to go private.He's helped me a lot since I started going to see him but the last month or two the sessions just seem to be repeating themselves.

Ok I get yeah.but it seems odd that they wouldn't allow you to change.i think you should look into it if things have gone downhill.just because its free doesn't or shouldn't mean you can't have something to say about it

• Advertisement

9 days citalopram free - doing ok - taking the vit b and the omegas - sticking to the diet as much as possible - having a cup of green tea at bed time - the withdrawals havent been too bad - slight headaches, nausea and fussy feeling in the head - but hey I didnt die!!!! (Like I thought I would)
    Still have prescription in the bad though but keeping the fingers xxxed...

praying for everyone on this site - :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement