Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I could go on a long rant about work and my boss, who I am genuinely afraid of, but I'm trying hard to leave work problems in work :P. Try and focus on good things in work maybe? I have some great coworkers and whenever I get upset I just have a rant to them, helps a litle. Don't know what your situation here is, but hopefully mods are sorting it out. Just try and ignore it maybe.

I've eaten some chocolate and I'm watching tv. A temporary fix that just leaves me with more to do tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

i suffer from chronic pain which stems from an accident i suffered back in 2007 , like many people with this condition , i suffer from depression on occasion , il probabley get banned for this but truth be told , i sometimes wonder whether depression is really worth fighting , i see absolutley no dignity in living with it , on the contary , i think those who take the ultimate measure deserve to be saluted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Hi Everyone,

I've tried 5 different types of meds and none have made any difference for me. Psych put me on max dose of Cymbalta but it really has been making me suicidal i think. I went to GP who halved the dose back down to 60mg. That dose never helped me either. I've to wait months for my next psych appointment.

phone the clinic and ask for your appointment to be brought forward.

Ps Mods-I think it would be much more helpful if the depression forum was divided up into categories. Lumping all the issues in together isn't as helpful as it could be and threads
    are not answered alot of the time.

I don't think thats a good idea to he honest. we would end up with loads of threads that might only have a handful of posts in them and they would swamp the forum , which covers a lot of illnesses.

with regard to your point that some things go unanswered, that might be because people can't answer them, eg if a poster asks for experiences of a particular medication - maybe nobody here has been on it or maybe those that have don't want to discuss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

I could go on a long rant about work and my boss, who I am genuinely afraid of, but I'm trying hard to leave work problems in work :P. Try and focus on good things in work maybe? I have some great coworkers and whenever I get upset I just have a rant to them, helps a litle. Don't know what your situation here is, but hopefully mods are sorting it out. Just try and ignore it maybe.

I've eaten some chocolate and I'm watching tv. A temporary fix that just leaves me with more to do tomorrow.

having a totally ****ty time at work , feeling very under-motivated , many to do with changes in work , my current office is closing down soon ,
    my company have given me 2 options , I can keep my current job (but would have to relocate offices....that intails a 170km round trip everyday , i estimate the cost on petrol alone to be €6,000 for the year..........................considering i earn €30,000 a year , it would severly impact on my ability to meet our bills),

My other option , is to go (seconded) to an outsourcing thrid party company in my home town ( no info given as to who this party would be as its only out to tender at the mo, but work are expecting me to make a decision within a matter of 3 weeks) , keeping my current terms and conditions, (while that sounds fairly attractive.....................its really a first step for my company to completely getting rid of people

I just don't know what to do , I like my current job , I'm good at , but could I do a 170km round trip every day for the nx 30years , considering i'm one of the world biggest worriers and one of the worst sleepers ,

decisions, decisions, its really stressing my out to the point of just 2 hours sleep last night ( and that was with a sleeping tab.....................................now I feel like absolute sh1te)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Well all ive been following this thread a long time now and i said id finally start posting!

I must say,Laisurs,Princess peach and especially stupidusername have really stood out in what yas have said and i totally get everything yous are saying and understand and wish yas the very very best!! I no people ere have said bou get up and be positive and hopeful,take 1 day at a time,someone here even said take up a new hobby but its soo not that simple,maybe that works for some people but i think its due to your level of sickness!

I must ask like what do you do when you have tried absolutely EVERYTHING,im also just back out from hospital,was there until my healthcover ran out and they couldnt fix me and have nothing at all but a better understanding of mental illness at the end of the day!?? How do you get suicide out of your mind when at the back of your mind you no its going to happen anyway as it should have worked,you just cant keep living through the pain and keep keeping yourself alive for others,thats not the way life should be and its just soo sad,im also quite young and when people say,,oh youve ur so young,your whole life ahead of you,it makes me feel sick,thats the last thing you want to hear as it just scares the life out of you!

Someone said hear that suicide is a permanent option for a temporary solution,,which is very true but temporary may not be it,,im not writing this for people ti write back saying not to carry it out,,thats not the problem,nobody wants to end their life but its the issues around it and how they are mentally. If someone has anything to say please do..or ever been in my situation and how it worked out,or what they did or any advice at all,thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Just lost another part of my life. I feel like I'm slowly fading away. There's almost none of me left now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Well all ive been following this thread a long time now and i said id finally start posting!

I must say,Laisurs,Princess peach and especially stupidusername have really stood out in what yas have said and i totally get everything yous are saying and understand and wish yas the very very best!! I no people ere have said bou get up and be positive and hopeful,take 1 day at a time,someone here even said take up a new hobby but its soo not that simple,maybe that works for some people but i think its due to your level of sickness!

I must ask like what do you do when you have tried absolutely EVERYTHING,im also just back out from hospital,was there until my healthcover ran out and they couldnt fix me and have nothing at all but a better understanding of mental illness at the end of the day!?? How do you get suicide out of your mind when at the back of your mind you no its going to happen anyway as it should have worked,you just cant keep living through the pain and keep keeping yourself alive for others,thats not the way life should be and its just soo sad,im also quite young and when people say,,oh youve ur so young,your whole life ahead of you,it makes me feel sick,thats the last thing you want to hear as it just scares the life out of you!

Someone said hear that suicide is a permanent option for a temporary solution,,which is very true but temporary may not be it,,im not writing this for people ti write back saying not to carry it out,,thats not the problem,nobody wants to end their life but its the issues around it and how they are mentally. If someone has anything to say please do..or ever been in my situation and how it worked out,or what they did or any advice at all,thanks :)

once depression enters your life , i believe that a part of you dies anyhow , after that , even when things are going well , their is always an emptiness , some people simply cannot live with the loss , they refuse to merley exist rather than live like they used to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Heard through the grapevine that my contract won't be renewed in work tomorrow,don't know what the hell I'm gonna do now,took me ages to find this job.Back in the dole line I suppose,I know when I tell my psych about this on Friday he's gonna make me come back to the day hospital like before.I don't see the point in life sometimes,I mean I hate this job but at least it kept me occupied everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

For the first time since I started Valdoxan about 7 weeks ago I've had an anxiety episode in work this morning.As usual,all it took was an email....the physical symptoms were less intense than before so the medication must be helping to some degree. I just feel so fed up and sad about the whole thing.

Very sorry to hear about your job starview - hope you can get something sorted out.

Anyone else have the problem that when something goes wrong and you want to talk to someone, you have no-one to tell. I go through my phone book and there's no-one there i can talk to. Then I just feel worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Sick of this. Being sent back and forth for blood tests all the time. Ever since I started on meds last year, I've just become so stupid, can't focus on anything. On the max dose of efexor and a half, And I've become practically braindead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

My best friend is the only one I can talk to about this stuff.he's gone to belfast till monday and has no internet access so i'm a little panicky. Phi3 you're welcome to pm me anytime. My best friend is great at dealing with me most of the time,but i'm afraid i'm not so good.but if you need to talk i'll listen.
    Starview that goes for you too.facing into that again is going to be hard.can you tell your psych you dont want to go back? Would you take up some volunteer work?

Am being shifted in with all the girls into admin instead of being sacked,all is not lost,not yet anyways!Plus I'm out of the dank basement and don't have to do any more awful sales calls!

Very,very relieved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Am being shifted in with all the girls into admin instead of being sacked,all is not lost,not yet anyways!Plus I'm out of the dank basement and don't have to do any more awful sales calls!

Very,very relieved!

Great news, congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Very,very relieved!

Yay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

phi3 wrote: »
    Anyone else have the problem that when something goes wrong and you want to talk to someone, you have no-one to tell. I go through my phone book and there's no-one there i can talk to. Then I just feel worse.

Yup. Been there alright. Last time that happened I ended up giving the samaritans a bell.... :(

Like stupidusername says, u can feel free to pm me too if that helps

Yup. Been there alright. Last time that happened I ended up giving the samaritans a bell.... :(

Like stupidusername says, u can feel free to pm me too if that helps
    If you dont mind sharing,what was ringing the samaritans like?

I rang them just after Christmas when I was very low and my psychologist was away. The girl I talked to was nice,she listened to me and tried to calm me down a bit,she offered to get somebody to ring me back the next day aswell for a chat.Was nice just saying the things that I'd been thinking/worrying about out loud.

Was definitely easier talking to the samaritan lady on the phone then it was to the nurses from the clinic who rang to check up on me that Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

If you dont mind sharing,what was ringing the samaritans like?

A bit hit and miss tbh. I rang them a few times over the past year when i was feeling pretty suicidal. Some were great to talk to. Very non judgemental and offered good advise. Others..... not so much. Felt like they were asking me questions that were written down in front of them. In those cases it wasn't really a conversation, more a Q&A session.

Overall, they were helpful. Great that they offer the service they do.

Also told me i could drop into one of their centres in town for a chat if i wanted to. Never took them up on it, but good to have the option.

Yeah i've felt like ringing sometimes but I find it hard to actually say the words to anybody so think it'd be awkward to talk.

• Advertisement

Today's conundrum: How do you meet new friends if you don't have any friends.

Today's conundrum: How do you meet new friends if you don't have any friends.
    Yep big problem.i'm looking into doing some sort of evening course.dont have a whole lot of money for it,and my concentration is probably not good enough,but have to give something a shot.

I've been toying with the idea of going to one of those Aware support group meetings to meet people in a sort of similar situation to myself,but I'm afraid if I do go that the meeting will be full of 40/50 yo people and I'll look like an idiot cos I'm only 23!

I've been toying with the idea of going to one of those Aware support group meetings to meet people in a sort of similar situation to myself,but I'm afraid if I do go that the meeting will be full of 40/50 yo people and I'll look like an idiot cos I'm only 23!

Ya know when I was living in limerick I was looking to go to one,but there's none down there.
    Why would you feel odd for being younger than everyone,and why assume everyone would be older? I'm 27 by the way.

I often wonder if you're better off around similar people or with confident people. Sometimes confident happy people lift my mood a bit and they do the talking so i don't have to. It depends i suppose

Ya know when I was living in limerick I was looking to go to one,but there's none down there.
    Why would you feel odd for being younger than everyone,and why assume everyone would be older? I'm 27 by the way.

I dont know,I was just looking at the Aware online support groups last week and the majority of people in it were at least in their 40's,suppose it would scare me a bit seeing people at that age talking about the same problems that I have now,and that I could still have them in 20 years time,if that makes any sense!

I dont know,I was just looking at the Aware online support groups last week and the majority of people in it were at least in their 40's,suppose it would scare me a bit seeing people at that age talking about the same problems that I have now,and that I could still have them in 20 years time,if that makes any sense!

Of course,it makes plenty of sense.only thing is these people even though they're further on they're still getting help.besides not every one has depression from childhood.it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad about them.ironically you going now might mean that you wont be like them. Would you be up for just going to one and see from there?

I'm going to say it to my psychologist on Tuesday and see what he thinks,but I think I might go to one during this week anyways no matter what he says.

Have you ever gone to one?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

I agree no one understands what we are going through.

• Advertisement

I'm going to say it to my psychologist on Tuesday and see what he thinks,but I think I might go to one during this week anyways no matter what he says.

Have you ever gone to one?

No I haven't.and tbh thinking about actually doing it makes me nervous.i do think it'd probably be good for me,so I might try get the courage to do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement