Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

a fat guy wrote: »
    Alright, I'll give you that I didn't post here with the proper respect, but from my own experiences people who said that they were depressed were only looking for attention.

Example: One of my former friends claimed that one of her friends died just to get out of failing her college exams. This was a year after one of our friends had died, which she cried at. I couldn't believe that she'd actually do something like that and I've thought of her as utter scum since then. She also claimed that she had tried to kill herself before. People just don't mention that kind of stuff in passing. And she is constantly doing attention-seeking things. Such as hopping onto her boyfriend (of that time, she hops from man to man. And she still finds time to call other women sluts) when she's in the middle of a conversation so that every HAS to notice what she's doing.

Anyway, rant over, but that's basically why I was posting flippantly, as you put it. I've never come across the actual sufferer's of depression and other mental illness's, just attention-seekers. Other than my Grandma that is, but she's just plain mad. So it's not exactly in the same vein as ye.

You all have my sympathies, though I know they will do no good.

If it helps, I could hang out around here for a while...

How do you think calling people on this thread who are struggling day to day with depression and anxiety ''attention seekers'' will help?seriously like?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

How do you think calling people on this thread who are struggling day to day with depression and anxiety ''attention seekers'' will help?seriously like?

I didn't say that, nor did I have the intention of implying it.

I was trying to explain why I was posting flippantly (Without respect of the subject at hand).

I'm not trying to offend anyone here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I didn't say that, nor did I have the intention of implying it.

I was trying to explain why I was posting flippantly (Without respect of the subject at hand).

I'm not trying to offend anyone here.

Really, do yourself (and us) a favour and dont post here again. Its people like you that piss me off because ye dont understand what its like. Its absolute hell having this. Go away please.

Yeesh.

That's quite the welcome.

Alright, I'll stop posting if no-one replies to this message or mentions me again.

Good luck getting better though, for what it's worth.

Cya!

^

No, but I was quite anxious throughout primary and secondary school. I got bullied pretty much every day through primary school, it let up towards the end of secondary school though. College changed all that though, so I thought I'd have a look around this thread to see how people who suffer from depression cope.

I suppose you can't blame the more 'vocal' users here from a little less than welcoming. This is probably like a second home to them, where they can share the pain with others who they know are suffering too.

So they might think that people like myself would ruin this place for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Today is not going so well, haven't got out of bed all day. Same yesterday :( The worst thing is that I have so much work to do at the minute, but none of it is getting done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Kranium

I have a lot to do but no motivation to do it - I feel I'd be better off dead than here
    I can barely get off the chair into the shower even though I smell rank - problem is I just don't care :(

Today was horrible for me. All my fears - humiliation, criticism and hostility - in a half day of work. It was also a really stressful day for me and having to listen to the rain belting against a corrugated iron roof for 8 hours did me no good at all. I was so close to just walking out the door, I wanted to hide in a hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Yeesh.

That's quite the welcome.

Alright, I'll stop posting if no-one replies to this message or mentions me again.

Good luck getting better though, for what it's worth.

Cya!

you've already been told by a mod not to post in this thread again, and you ignored that and posted twice more.

this is your final warning- do not post in this thread again, irrespective of who comments on your posts. if you post again, you will be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Really, do yourself (and us) a favour and dont post here again. Its people like you that piss me off because ye dont understand what its like. Its absolute hell having this. Go away please.
    Hey hey now guys, he did apologize and is obviously wanting to understand what depression is about. I thought this forum was open for everyone that needs someone to talk to about depression..
    Fatguy (I feel bad calling you that!) do you experience depression yourself?

leave the modding to the mods please.

• Advertisement

Those days are no fun. All these things you have to do, is there anything that can wait? If you think about it in terms of needs.. Compare it to the consequence of not doing them today. Is there anything that can be put aside for now?

The things I have to do need to be done this week but I don't see it happening anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Karsini wrote: »
    Today was horrible for me. All my fears - humiliation, criticism and hostility - in a half day of work. It was also a really stressful day for me and having to listen to the rain belting against a corrugated iron roof for 8 hours did me no good at all. I was so close to just walking out the door, I wanted to hide in a hole.

I know that feeling all too well,I'm actually going through something not dissimilar myself at the moment.That feeling of being trapped,all you want to do is hide from the fear. If you add it all up,I've probably spent countless hours over the years in cubicles just trying to get myself together enough to face people when I'm going through a rough spell.It's pretty horrible and I wish I had some silver-bullet advice for you.All I'll say is talk to someone, and don't be too hard on yourself-just getting out of bed in the morning and facing the day takes courage when you feel like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Had a terrible day today. A really really crap day.

Today has been Hel proper rotten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Elizabethc

Hi all I'm new here getting great advice but needing help. I've had serious anxiety and panic for about 2 years now and was prescribed xanax and sleeping tabs neither of which I wanted and didn't really take. Anyway lately it has gotten worse and is becoming depression aswell...I have lost my confidence and competence... I don't want to go anywhere or do anything. Eventually I gave in and went to a pschyotherapist... That seemed to make it worse and I got in a total state. So I started on lexapro last Friday. Every time I take one I cry my eyes out as I can't believe this is happening to me. Anyway I have severe dizziness and can't move at all I can't even sit up straight. Does anyone know how long this will last as I just can't function like this. I am also getting strong heart palpatations for a few hours after I take them... Which ironically is the first symptom of anxiety I had.

Any advice, thanks

It usually takes up to two weeks for side effects to settle down,but if you're really worried about the heart palpatations and dizziness then definitely go back to the Doctor who prescribed them to you and tell him/her whats happening.

Best of luck,and hope you feel better soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Elizabethc

It usually takes up to two weeks for side effects to settle down,
    Best of luck,and hope you feel better soon :)
    thanks I'm taking the tab at night so the worst of the symptoms are then and I'm still bad in the morning it lifts at about 2 pm and then back at 7 pm after next dose. But the anxiety is lifting a little so will stick with them for the 4 week prescription anyway when I'm due back to doc.

I'm trying to get out for a walk when I can while we have sun but I get so down when it rains for days on end
    ... Any other things I can be doing to help myself, any foods to eat or avoid or has anyone found supplements to be any good?

As I said I didn't enjoy the pschyotherapist and I still have another appointment.. He wants to focus on my childhood and how I felt about my parents etc. I haven't had a traumatic childhood or life ... The main source of my anxiety has been financial and being overwhelmed by work trying to meet financial demands and not taking care of myself. Have any of you been helped by pschyotherapy or has cbtbeen better.

All help gratefully received
    Thanks and hugs to all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

hi there 1st time posting here,, great thread though,, i have suffered anxiety for over 7 years now.. though this last 2 years i feel like i have been getting it under control a lot, which was mainly due to me giving up drinking & starting excercising,,

However last week i came down with a tummy bug & was basically (without trying to be too graphic) on the toilet for 5 or 6 days..

since then my anxiety has came back with a bang tbh ,, i find it hard to do everyday stuff & feel so self conscious walking down the street that its unreal,, i have began having quite bad tic like symptoms & worse of all ive started to get anxiety while doing the one thing that always helped me - excercising- to the extent that i have to stop. :(

Ive tried CBT & though it helped a little i feel it wouldnt help again & missed last 2 appointments so its not an option anyway :(

Anyway i wondering is this perhaps because my meds havent had the same effect due to me being sick??

ive booked an appointment with the doctor but its not now till a week tomorrow & i feel terrible going back i feel as if im wasting there time... im currently on effexor... & i also take a half a zoplicone each night tho my doc has threatened to stop them which i feel is making me even more anxious as starting them changed my life around tbh!

im now trying to get a hold of some valium from some guys i know as im worried that the only other thing that will help me feel "normal" again" is drink & i dont want to go there again,,

any help/advice would be great guys!

Elizabethc wrote: »
    thanks I'm taking the tab at night so the worst of the symptoms are then and I'm still bad in the morning it lifts at about 2 pm and then back at 7 pm after next dose. But the anxiety is lifting a little so will stick with them for the 4 week prescription anyway when I'm due back to doc.

I'm trying to get out for a walk when I can while we have sun but I get so down when it rains for days on end
    ... Any other things I can be doing to help myself, any foods to eat or avoid or has anyone found supplements to be any good?

As I said I didn't enjoy the pschyotherapist and I still have another appointment.. He wants to focus on my childhood and how I felt about my parents etc. I haven't had a traumatic childhood or life ... The main source of my anxiety has been financial and being overwhelmed by work trying to meet financial demands and not taking care of myself. Have any of you been helped by pschyotherapy or has cbtbeen better.

All help gratefully received
    Thanks and hugs to all

Going out for a walk/to the shops/library etc and just generally being around people no matter how much I don't feel up to doing it,has been a big help to me anyways.

I was seeing a psychologist in my community clinic for a few months,and it helped initially with strategys for my anxiety etc,but it has become very repetitive lately,the psychologist is moving back to his home country soon so I'll get a break from it for a while,at least until his replacement arrives.

As for food supplements my psychiatrist recommended taking Omega 3 oils and I've been doing that for a good few months now.

I'd say stick with the psycho-therapy for another while at least.The first couple of sessions they are just trying to form an opinion of the sort of person you are,after that it becomes more helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    hi there 1st time posting here,, great thread though,, i have suffered anxiety for over 7 years now.. though this last 2 years i feel like i have been getting it under control a lot, which was mainly due to me giving up drinking & starting excercising,,

However last week i came down with a tummy bug & was basically (without trying to be too graphic) on the toilet for 5 or 6 days..

since then my anxiety has came back with a bang tbh ,, i find it hard to do everyday stuff & feel so self conscious walking down the street that its unreal,, i have began having quite bad tic like symptoms & worse of all ive started to get anxiety while doing the one thing that always helped me - excercising- to the extent that i have to stop. :(

Ive tried CBT & though it helped a little i feel it wouldnt help again & missed last 2 appointments so its not an option anyway :(

Anyway i wondering is this perhaps because my meds havent had the same effect due to me being sick??

ive booked an appointment with the doctor but its not now till a week tomorrow & i feel terrible going back i feel as if im wasting there time... im currently on effexor... & i also take a half a zoplicone each night tho my doc has threatened to stop them which i feel is making me even more anxious as starting them changed my life around tbh!

im now trying to get a hold of some valium from some guys i know as im worried that the only other thing that will help me feel "normal" again" is drink & i dont want to go there again,,

any help/advice would be great guys!

There is a chance that if you were getting sick last week that you might have threw up your tablet in the middle of it. The doctor will know best anyway. I really would try and stay away from taking the valium though because it's not been prescribed for you, you never know what could happen. There's loads of other ways to relax other than drink etc, maybe you could try some writing/art/music to get your anxiety out of your system? I know it might seem a little silly at first, but things like that can really help :)
    I'd say stick with the psycho-therapy for another while at least. The first couple of sessions they are just trying to form an opinion of the sort of person you are,after that it becomes more helpful.

This is definitely true - I found the psychotherapy really hard going at first, but after a while it makes such a difference. It just takes a while to get used to it. Glad to see you seem to be feeling a bit better too starviewadams :)

• Advertisement

There is a chance that if you were getting sick last week that you might have threw up your tablet in the middle of it. The doctor will know best anyway. I really would try and stay away from taking the valium though because it's not been prescribed for you, you never know what could happen. There's loads of other ways to relax other than drink etc, maybe you could try some writing/art/music to get your anxiety out of your system? I know it might seem a little silly at first, but things like that can really help :)

This is definitely true - I found the psychotherapy really hard going at first, but after a while it makes such a difference. It just takes a while to get used to it. Glad to see you seem to be feeling a bit better too starviewadams :)

Cheers!

Feeling much more positive this week for some unknown reason,trying not to overthink it!

Feel like I'm just todding along no real purpose or anything

Kranium wrote: »
    Feel like I'm just todding along no real purpose or anything

I've been the same for several years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Hyperbole and a Half put up a new post today on depression... It is very, very apt - I could relate to far too much of it :o:p:D Well worth a read !!!

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

went to the on-call doctor centre here late last night as i was feeling so anxious.. i was generally talked down to & made to feel like a pariah for going to see him for something so "trivial"

I tried to explain that i had made an appointment with my GP but they cant see me till next thursday..

I was sent on my way with the weakest valium available & a note was put on my record that i wasnt to use the on-call doctor for such a thing again.

its funny how they always tell us not to be shy in seeking help for mental health issues.. & when we do we are treated like this. :(

Kranium wrote: »
    how do you cope with it?:(

I'm not really sure to be honest. Seems I just eat, sleep and work... when I'm not doing any of these I'm on the internet.

Really feel like packing in my job after the week I've had, the thing that's stopping me is what the heck else would I do? I've had enough of dealing with the public, I had enough even 3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mapaco

hi all-such a sad place this.
    1st time posting here-on anti depressants for 13 years-tried to top myself numerous times.
    if it wasnt for my long-suffering other half i wouldn't be here.
    last few weeks i feel myself slipping....tried making a noose in some tinsel today but i'm afraid it wouldn't take my weight and snap leaving a nasty and obvious scar-how embarrassing.
    by the way--I'M NOT LOOKING FOR SYMPATHY-I'M JUST VENTING.
    i've had enough-simple as. i'm no use to anyone, i make no difference in anyone's life and i'm more of a burden than a help to my other half.
    i dont want to leave him with funeral costs tho but between mortgage and bills and food cant afford to save for it.
    just want to be gone-the sadness is so heavy and draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    went to the on-call doctor centre here late last night as i was feeling so anxious.. i was generally talked down to & made to feel like a pariah for going to see him for something so "trivial"

I tried to explain that i had made an appointment with my GP but they cant see me till next thursday..

I was sent on my way with the weakest valium available & a note was put on my record that i wasnt to use the on-call doctor for such a thing again.

its funny how they always tell us not to be shy in seeking help for mental health issues.. & when we do we are treated like this. :(

That is absolutely terrible. I'm so sorry that you had to go through something like that. I hope you're not feeling so bad now. Take care of yourself and please don't be afraid to seek help in future due to this bad experience.

This illness that no one has ever heard of is f*cked up :(

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    That is absolutely terrible. I'm so sorry that you had to go through something like that. I hope you're not feeling so bad now. Take care of yourself and please don't be afraid to seek help in future due to this bad experience.
    `
    No well i rang my GP today & demanded to be seen,, went down & although i had a small wait i eventually saw him & he gave me 8 xanax,, took 2 since & had a sleep right away & already i feel back to "normal" :)

What some medical practioners need to learn is that although what we may be expierencing is all in our head it is stilll very real to us & very frightening & its as a last resort i was visiting him last night... & i already felt guilty doing so.. its not as if he was an old school doc (he looked fresh out of uni) & i woulda thought that the new modern type doc wouldve had more of an understanding for mental health issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement