Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

First time posting here so please bear with me. I feel so stupid writing this, but today I just feel like a complete failure. I got a rejection letter from a department store today.... #20 rejection letter i have. I just feel down all day.... I can’t get a job for bloody Christmas... I cant afford to buy presents, every weekend its someone’s birthday, a night out. But im just so bloody pissed off. Finished on Lustral in June but if this mood don’t lift im going back to doctor Monday... I went for a drive earlier and for a split second i wanted to drive off a cliff.... So I drove to the nearest tescos and bought chocolate.... One extreme to the next.... These moods seem to be getting worse each week. I have this urge to break down and cry but its not happening.

Thanks for reading to the end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Had a serious panic attack today caused by my severe anxiety :( Was put on lexapro, seen people talking about it here.. whats the ups and downs (pro's and cons) of it ?

Red up about it on google but need one of you guys advice towards it?
    I'm only 21 so go easy on me lols :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Had a serious panic attack today caused by my severe anxiety :( Was put on lexapro, seen people talking about it here.. whats the ups and downs (pro's and cons) of it ?

Red up about it on google but need one of you guys advice towards it?
    I'm only 21 so go easy on me lols :)

I've been on it roughly 2 months now. Only con is I'm always sleepy. I'm on 15mgs of it. Ups are it works quick and I have severe anxiety and it works like a charm for that. I havent had a panic attack in weeks! I love it like. I find its better than Prozac for depression and it really helps with the anxiety.

Good luck :)

I've been on it roughly 2 months now. Only con is I'm always sleepy. I'm on 15mgs of it. Ups are it works quick and I have severe anxiety and it works like a charm for that. I havent had a panic attack in weeks! I love it like. I find its better than Prozac for depression and it really helps with the anxiety.

Good luck :)

Thanks mate !!:) just dont want to be like a zombie when im on it.. ie not function, talk to people proper if you get me :) dont think mine are 15mg abit smaller i think :)
    good luck to you aswell :D

Thanks mate !!:) just dont want to be like a zombie when im on it.. ie not function, talk to people proper if you get me :) dont think mine are 15mg abit smaller i think :)
    good luck to you aswell :D

You wont be. You'll still be human except you'll just be calmer :p I'm not much younger than you so I know what its like. 10mgs yea? I was on them for a while befor I got upped.

• Advertisement

You wont be. You'll still be human except you'll just be calmer :p I'm not much younger than you so I know what its like. 10mgs yea? I was on them for a while befor I got upped.

yesss :) see thats what i wanted to hear:) nothing like someone explaining something in simple terms to easy worries:) pretty sure there 10 i didnt check lol :) im one the few people though that think talking about my probs to someone is better than any medication :) just me though lol

yesss :) see thats what i wanted to hear:) nothing like someone explaining something in simple terms to easy worries:) pretty sure there 10 i didnt check lol :) im one the few people though that think talking about my probs to someone is better than any medication :) just me though lol

Oh noes it helps indeed :D Just the medication helps you that bit further to get past the first overall bad hump. I love Lexapro apart from the drowsiness but meh, I'm an insomniac so I suppose for me feeling sleepy is awful xD Glad I could help though! After the first week you'll stop feeling crappy then you'll be flyin it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

First time posting here so please bear with me. I feel so stupid writing this, but today I just feel like a complete failure. I got a rejection letter from a department store today.... #20 rejection letter i have. I just feel down all day.... I can’t get a job for bloody Christmas... I cant afford to buy presents, every weekend its someone’s birthday, a night out. But im just so bloody pissed off. Finished on Lustral in June but if this mood don’t lift im going back to doctor Monday... I went for a drive earlier and for a split second i wanted to drive off a cliff.... So I drove to the nearest tescos and bought chocolate.... One extreme to the next.... These moods seem to be getting worse each week. I have this urge to break down and cry but its not happening.

Thanks for reading to the end!!
    Go to your doctor tomorrow, hopefully they can do something for you.

just reading back on a few posts here and god :eek: you think what your going through is hard but reading other peoples stories, they're going though absolute hell !
    I wish yee all the best and hope that ye get the help you need.

best bit of advice i can give is.. always talk to someone if something is bothering you, Ive been bottling things up for months and months and when you talk to a close friend,GP or anyone you can trust, it gets aloud off your chest, believe me :)
    Ive been seeing Councillors since i was 8.. so that's 13 years ive been getting help :) I honestly wudn't know where id be (or nor do i want to know) if i didn't make a decision to get help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Elizabethc

Hi all well I've just started week 3 of lexapro. I spent 10 days not able to lift my head I was so dizzy. Also the first 5 days I was so anxious and really really down, Like total and utter despair. Felt much better all weekend and I actually wanted to go out and go shopping and meet people, I even smiled. Anyway went out for dinner on sat night and had a few drinks... First in about 6 weeks and then felt all anxious and panicky again yesterday and today.... I'm really hoPing that is just the alcohol cos then simPle solution to that. Just been out for a walk and feel a little better. I'm back at work tomorrow after been out for 2 weeks so hope I can manage that and not freak out.

Great reading Other experiences of medication, thanks all for sharing I appreciate your honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Elizabethc wrote: »
    Hi all well I've just started week 3 of lexapro. I spent 10 days not able to lift my head I was so dizzy. Also the first 5 days I was so anxious and really really down, Like total and utter despair. Felt much better all weekend and I actually wanted to go out and go shopping and meet people, I even smiled. Anyway went out for dinner on sat night and had a few drinks... First in about 6 weeks and then felt all anxious and panicky again yesterday and today.... I'm really hoPing that is just the alcohol cos then simPle solution to that. Just been out for a walk and feel a little better. I'm back at work tomorrow after been out for 2 weeks so hope I can manage that and not freak out.

Great reading Other experiences of medication, thanks all for sharing I appreciate your honesty.

it will be the alcohol,, its well known that in the days after a heavy seesion your anxiety can go through the roof,, otherwise im glad to hear you are feeling better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Just reading through a few of these posts and noticed theres not many posts( if there is then i didnt see them,sorry) on how to actually beat it and get out of it.I suffered from anxiety and then depression for years.I could go into a long story of how bad i actually was but instead ill skip ahead to how i gradually started to feel better by doing the following things-I SAY ALL OF THE FOLLOWING KNOWING ITS ALOT EASIER SAID THEN DONE-.
    (1)physicaly activity(hard as hell when your doped up on the meds but gradually it DOES get easier,even to walk in the fresh air for 10mins).Running/walking/swimming for me were the best.I hadnt ran in years and then started slowly,i find it to be a powerfull release of energy that would otherwise be churning around inside and turn to anxiousness or negative thoughts.
    (2)meditation/chill out music/prayer/silence-again very hard when on meds but even 5 mins of getting my mind to calm down and stop the negative and anxious thoughts helped greatly,
    (3)TALKING TO SOMEONE-cannot emphasize(sp) this one enough,a councellor can and will help you,especially if family members/friends dont listen to you,
    (4)staying busy or relatiavely busy-break the cycle of internalising every thought and thing by taking the focus off yourself and onto other tasks and people,
    (5)Get off your meds-i know ill get the head eaten off me here for saying this but believe it or not this can be done,you know your own body and whether or not you can do it but i argued with my doctor who advised me not to come off them even though i was starting to feel relatively well again using the other things i listed here.I took myself off them and had no real side effects.I just found myself not being able to sleep for nights on end and yet didnt feel "tired" although i did feel as sedated and as dopey as hell.I once worked 3 12 hr shifts in a row in my previous job and despite not getting any sleep at the end of thw week when i should have been wrecked tired i wasnt.It didnt feel "natural" to not be tired despite not sleeping and working so much while on the meds.So that was the last straw and i said to myself i would try get myself feeling better and off the meds.
    (6)Books-some decent books out there but i do know when your so doped up on the meds or feeling so down that reading a book is the last thing you want to do sometimes.One that helped me with my anxiety was Aine Tuburty "When Panic Attacks".
    All i can do is give ye my 2 cents worth of experience and what happened to me,those things didnt cure everything but im improved now 95% and Light Years ahead from where i was 5 years ago.Last year i actually finished the full Dublin Marathon(no joke).I say all of that knowing theres different degrees of anxiety/depression etc.I now work in a bookstore and give advice to customers who ask me for books on Anxiety related issues etc.I give advice to them from my own personal experience and they seem to appreciate it and some have come back for more chats about it etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

One person has a go at me cause he's a twat and it makes me want to get into bed and stay there. Thinking about ringing in sick tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I asked for sick leave today again cos I'm back to feeling crap yet again and was refused, which is fair enough cos I know I've used it all.I don't think I'm going to back though,I just can't handle it,it's a struggle to get through every day,and I feel exhausted and filled with dread about the next day when I get home.

Still looking around for another cheap CBT counsellor too since my HSE psychologist has gone back home,if anybody on here knows of one Dublin please let me know,thanks.

My heart goes out to some of ye on this thread,i'd give ye all a hug if i could.
    FAO "Stupidusername"-if the person is a twat then dont let their opinion affect you,you said it yourself that they are the twat,so their not worth listening to or paying attention to:).

Aiel wrote: »
    (5)Get off your meds-i know ill get the head eaten off me here for saying this but believe it or not this can be done,you know your own body and whether or not you can do it but i argued with my doctor who advised me not to come off them even though i was starting to feel relatively well again using the other things i listed here.I took myself off them and had no real side effects.I just found myself not being able to sleep for nights on end and yet didnt feel "tired" although i did feel as sedated and as dopey as hell.I once worked 3 12 hr shifts in a row in my previous job and despite not getting any sleep at the end of thw week when i should have been wrecked tired i wasnt.It didnt feel "natural" to not be tired despite not sleeping and working so much while on the meds.So that was the last straw and i said to myself i would try get myself feeling better and off the meds.

^^This got to me. Stay on the medication for as long as you need to and as long as it's helping you! The medication is long term for most of us and we need it long term. I cant function without it and I never will be able to due to my brain chemistry. Also taking yourself off medication is dangerous. I've done it numerous times and had serious relapses. I would not recommend ANYONE do that. If the medication makes you feel sleepy or tired then its clearly not the right medication for you.

I'm not eating you alive or attacking you here. I'm just going on my own experience and what I've been told by medical professionals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

aiel, do not come on this thread - or forum- telling people to stop their meds. these are prescription meds and you are not qualified to make that call, and you have no idea how seriously ill some of the posters here are.

if you want to talk about your own experience, that's fine, but do not give what amounts to medical advice. if you post in that manner again you will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

I have battled with depression for many many years, and am resigned to the fact that I will never come off my medication. I am quite happy to stay on it.

At the moment I am taking wellbutrin, effexor and valdoxan, however I am feeling extremely down lately.
    All I want to do is stay in bed continuously, I am sooo tired and just lack interest in everything.

Hate winter anyway.

sam34 wrote: »
    aiel, do not come on this thread - or forum- telling people to stop their meds. these are prescription meds and you are not qualified to make that call, and you have no idea how seriously ill some of the posters here are.

if you want to talk about your own experience, that's fine, but do not give what amounts to medical advice. if you post in that manner again you will be banned.

Just like to offer my appologies for my inappropiate(sp) comments about meds,didnt mean to cause upset or offence,sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi all, was put on Lexapro and Xanax today for anxiety & depression which was driving my BP through the roof. I know my current trigger for depression and don't really want to publish it here. I was on Lexapro and Cymbalta at different periods a few years ago for work related stress and tiredness and the only side effect I really had was the inability to orgasm. Does anyone know anything to counteract this side effect as i know its on the way again once i start the Lexapro!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I sorta stopped taking my meds one day. It wasn't planned or anything but I was feeling really good for a little bit and it just didn't feel like I needed them anymore. Few weeks later I had to go back to my doctor because I just felt so shít again. :(

I'm on 75mg Effexor, I was on 150mg before but they've put me back on 75mg for a month before giving me 150mg again. In my experience, coming off the meds was a really bad idea. And it wasn't me thinking I knew better than my doctor or anything, it was just pure carelessness.

Even though I'm back on the meds now I'm still doing pretty badly at the moment. September was one of the best months I've had for a long time but October brought me crashing down again and November has been difficult so far too. :( It's like there's nothing I have to look forward to for a long time yet; it's all well and good having great plans or the future but when there's absolutely nothing to do during the present it can make everything just seem pointless. I'm not suicidal or anything but it would be nice to just go to sleep and not wake up until months later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm sticking on prozac, I got my prescription refilled yesterday. To be honest, i feel worse for taking it, but I guess I got to wait. 3 months though :(

And I don't drink at all. I find it makes me feel about ten times worse, then when I'm drunk and alone I do stupid things :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Geminian

Hi everyone,
    just wondering if anyone else has been or is on lustral? im into my second month of taking them and ive just noticed my skin on my face has become quite blemished and i feel a bit numb a lot of the time, i could be talking to someone and then after the conversation finishes i wonder if that conversation just happened or if it was a dream?
    ive said this to my doctor bust she says its normal and full side effects wear off after 6 weeks.
    Thanks

I was on Lustral about a year ago and I was a bit spaced out for the first few weeks on it,mainly because it was my first time on anti-depressants.Once the side effects settled down though it was okay and definitely improved my mood.

The only reason I was switched to citalopram was because the Lustral was starting to give me insomnia.

I'd say to stick it out up til the 6 weeks are up,and if things haven't improved ask your doc to switch you to another ad.

Hope you feel better soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Geminian

good to hear that i wasnt imagining these spaced out feelings:) yea im only really into it 3/4 weeks so i suppose it will take a while to properly kick in, do you know anything about Lusert? i was getting another prescription of Lustral the other day in the pharmacy and the pharmacist said to me he gave me Lusert instead but its the same because they both contain the key sertraline.. i looked Lusert up but didn't find much on it. i took it today anyway and started feeling very dizzy and sick , kind of like when i first started Lustral.

Its ok if you don't know, this is all new to me so trying to find out everything I can from the internet as Im not telling very many of my friends about whats going on so im not really talking about it with anyone other than my doctor and mum :) Thanks again in advance

I think it's basically just a different brand name of the same drug,when I switched pharmacy's when I was on the Lustral they gave me a different brand called Serlan,but the chemist said it was the same thing.Think the only difference is that they sometimes have different filler ingredients.

Even now when I get my prescription for Citalopram filled I end up getting different brands,sometimes Ciprager,Cipramil or Ciprapine.Usually the exact same thing,just in different boxes.

Hope this helps!

Having a bad few days again :(

Having a bad few days again :(

same here :( chin up though and think good things!:)

Been put on Mirtazapine (zispin) for short today at 5:( not looking forward to a change! anyone heard or reccomend these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Getting very bad again. Thought it was getting a bit better but rock bottom again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Was on zizpin for a while but I had terrible nightmares while on them. Having a bad week here too:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement