Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rollerdisco

Anybody here have sinus surgery ever since they reduced my turbinates I have been anxious 24/7 its a kind of hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I feel absolutely terrible I don't know how long I can go on like this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Funny how consoling a friend of mine who lost someone to suicide this weekend has triggered the absolute hell out of me. Well, I haven't been great recently anyway but I think that just hit it off.

I haven't felt like this in years. I just want to really, really hurt myself. Like really bad.

Oh fun!

Argh.

I hate talking like this, makes me sound like a complete tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mdan

Hi guys, feeling so bad these last few days - just tired of trying to get through every day - exhausted actually - if anyone can empathise with my symptoms feel free to chat - have panic attacks because suffering from health anxiety - constantly thinking every ache or fuzzy head is bad news...no matter how many tests or consultations there is always a but?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BipolarMe

Hi. I need direction please people.I've just discovered I am depressed (self-diagnosed, but trust me, I tick too many boxes to be wrong) and now have no idea what to do next. Just read the last 20 pages of this thread and I'm sorry to hear some of the thoughts you guys are experiencing. I am also glad that I'm not alone in this.

I did have a large post but somehow managed to close the tab and lose it so i'll summarize now. I'm officially scared to death. I'm a male, early thirties, mature student. I cannot bring this topic up to my family as they would not understand.Same with friends -any I still actually have around. I do not want to go to my local GP as I live in a small village and have trust issues as I was in college before with the reception girl who gives out the prescription forms.
    pls help

btw this is now the 3rd time I've tried to write this post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

BipolarMe wrote: »
    Hi. I need direction please people.I've just discovered I am depressed (self-diagnosed, but trust me, I tick too many boxes to be wrong) and now have no idea what to do next. Just read the last 20 pages of this thread and I'm sorry to hear some of the thoughts you guys are experiencing. I am also glad that I'm not alone in this.

I did have a large post but somehow managed to close the tab and lose it so i'll summarize now. I'm officially scared to death. I'm a male, early thirties, mature student. I cannot bring this topic up to my family as they would not understand.Same with friends -any I still actually have around. I do not want to go to my local GP as I live in a small village and have trust issues as I was in college before with the reception girl who gives out the prescription forms.
    pls help

Can you go to another gp?
    If there's only one in your village, can you go to the next village over or a town?
    Or your local hospital?
    You mentioned college, if you're still there, you could go to the doc there?

Or you could always just go to your gp and explain how you feel and ask if he could do out the prescription himself and give it to you - bypassing the receptionist.
    That shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Go and talk to your GP,seriously,they deal with things like this every single day and there is nothing at all to be ashamed about for asking for help.They deal with things in the strictest confidence,plus the girl writing out scripts probably won't have a clue what the medication is for,that is even if the doc prescribes you something.

I put off going to see my GP for about 2 years for basically the same reason as you and really wish that I hadn't,because it was such a weight off my mind finally being able to speak to somebody about how bad I was feeling,and being offered help too!

Best of luck :)

oK, thanks guys. I'll hit a GP in the next few days, when I'm feeling a lil more confident. Possibly not the local one, but next place over should be fine. This is a whole new ball game to me. Doesn't seem to be much information about the whole subject on the net.
    Especially about help in Ireland, but thats probably to be expected.

Wow.how many times can i re-write a post. At least I'm beginning to understand why I've been such an anal cnut at times over the years.thanks for the advice. appreciated today.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Funny how consoling a friend of mine who lost someone to suicide this weekend has triggered the absolute hell out of me. Well, I haven't been great recently anyway but I think that just hit it off.

I haven't felt like this in years. I just want to really, really hurt myself. Like really bad.

Oh fun!

Argh.

I hate talking like this, makes me sound like a complete tool.

If it's possible for you to talk to someone you trust(friend/relative/counsellor etc) about how you're feeling I'd really recommend it.Just even venting helps a great deal.

My cousins best friend took her own life about 2 years or so ago and consoling my cousin (who doesn't know I suffer from depression) about it kinda set things off for me badly and led to a bad bit of self harming which I deeply regret now.

If I had of had somebody to bounce my thoughts off back then like I do now I probably wouldn't have resorted to hurting myself.

Hope you feel better soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

pls help

Is it a big college you go to? Most universities and ITs have an on campus doctor and free counselling for students too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 fiendoncheese

Hi all, i'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I want to go see my doctor and tell him that I think I might be depressed and/or have an anxitiy disorder. But I don't know how. Do I just show up for the open clinic? Do I call ahead? Would it be wiser to keep a mood diary and then just give it to him? I find it extremely hard to talk about it so I was hoping I could maybe throw it at him and hide until he gives me an answer. I know it's not that easy.... I'm sorry if this is silly but i'm scared i'll do it wrong and end up not wanting to ever try again. I guess i'm hoping you guys could tell me what you did? Sorry for the essay. Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Hi all, i'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I want to go see my doctor and tell him that I think I might be depressed and/or have an anxitiy disorder. But I don't know how. Do I just show up for the open clinic? Do I call ahead? Would it be wiser to keep a mood diary and then just give it to him? I find it extremely hard to talk about it so I was hoping I could maybe throw it at him and hide until he gives me an answer. I know it's not that easy.... I'm sorry if this is silly but i'm scared i'll do it wrong and end up not wanting to ever try again. I guess i'm hoping you guys could tell me what you did? Sorry for the essay. Thanks for reading.

I made an appointment to talk about a few things. I wasn't too sure what I had and my doctor did a blood test to see if there was any medical reason for me to feel that way, tired and weepy all the time. When nothing came back on my blood test we talked about my options. I thought about it for a few weeks and then went back for my prescription and made an appointment with the counselor. After that I just kept my regular doctors appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

My little website. Not very good. Was a project on a basic web design course
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~misfits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

had another psych appointment this morning. said i didn't notice any difference with the last upping of my dosage, so she said she'd up it again. wasn't expecting that. so now i'll have another week or so of feeling even more tired and my memory getting even worse. i'm like an alzhimers patient at this point.

something has set me off during the day and now everything's getting to me. i think it's my memory. I forgot i had that appointment this morning, was getting ready for work when I saw my appointment card. and i just come off as stupid in work. well at least i'll be leaving there soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Miss_Leela wrote: »
    Hi everyone..
    First post about my illness... Ive been online all evening looking for a forum or room where i can talk to people about borderline personality disorder and DBT (im starting DBT next month which im excited but extreamly anxious about), been diagnosed recently after seeing countless councillors over the years (First one at the age of 14/15) and being on med's for depression since the age of 18 (I am now 30) :( Im currently on Lexapro 20mg and Diazipan 10/20mg (as required). Ive read some of the former posts and can relate to a lot thats being said and its comforting to know that im not alone :o

Hi! I just started DBT today after a couple of assessments. Where are you doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 redgate

oK, thanks guys. I'll hit a GP in the next few days, when I'm feeling a lil more confident. Possibly not the local one, but next place over should be fine. This is a whole new ball game to me. Doesn't seem to be much information about the whole subject on the net.
    Especially about help in Ireland, but thats probably to be expected.

Wow.how many times can i re-write a post. At least I'm beginning to understand why I've been such an anal cnut at times over the years.thanks for the advice. appreciated today.

Have a look at AWARE.IE an irish website dedicated to depression sufferers they have a mood diary which may be useful for you to download or copy and try and fill in over the few days before you go to the GP, as a sufferer for many years, I hope I have caught you before you end up being prescribed medication without a history or general enquiry made into your past moods, be armed with as much info as you can muster, I know it is easier said than done. You see imho most GPs are too quick to write a script for antidepressants, there is alternatives to medication, keep the faith

Thanks Redgate. unable to thank any post atm (probably not enough posts by me yet) so had to post the thanks myself. Mood diary sounds like an interesting idea.I'll go get it.cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Well again everyone :D
    Just wanted to post to say if anyone is feeling down / upset.. talk to someone. May it be GP, counceller, or someone close to you.
    this time last month i was about 2 seconds away from ending it all ( i wont say how)... but by talking to someone and being put on 1 tablet, i have changed completely :)
    I cherish everyday i wake up now and look forward to the day ahead.
    November is by far my "worst month" as iv lost someone VERY close to me in the last 2 years, but im a lot more less anxious now that ive talked to someone, rather than bottling things up like i did since i was 8 :)
    So anyone reading this.. Keep your head held high and smile :) dont feel like the worlds on your shoulders :pac:
    Ive got my 3rd tattoo this week saying "god can take away lifes but cant take away the memory's " in memory of my dad (rip) :) and everytime i look at it i smile:)
    thanks for reading if you have :D
    pudz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Hi all, was put on Lexapro and Xanax today for anxiety & depression which was driving my BP through the roof. I know my current trigger for depression and don't really want to publish it here. I was on Lexapro and Cymbalta at different periods a few years ago for work related stress and tiredness and the only side effect I really had was the inability to orgasm. Does anyone know anything to counteract this side effect as i know its on the way again once i start the Lexapro!!
    Ask your doctor. There are other SSRI meds like lexapro that may not have same sexual side effects as lexapro and be equally effective. There are also other non SSRI anti depressants/anti anti anxiety meds that may have less sexual sde effects if all SSRIs are having that effect on you.

Make an appointment for as soon as you can. Write down all the negative symptoms you are having and how often you are having them. Go to doctor with a friend of loved one if possible . The GP deals with this type of thing every day so there is no need to worry. Also ask about a referral to counselling/psychotherapy as this can be very benefical too.

• Advertisement

I was obviously giving off vibes today, when I was in work a courier told me I seem more distant and tuned out than usual. He wasn't wrong either, felt like I wanted to cry but couldn't. I can't stay like this much longer, it's destroying me. :(

Was with my 'normal' friends tonight and it just pisses me off how easy they seem to find life.I feel like a bit of a prick even saying this here but it does.One of them has 3 girls on the go and spent all night moaning about it.I felt like strangling him!

The auld loneliness is getting to me,especially as Christmas edges closer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I've been pretty frozen up since my last post here, i know i need to do things, go back to doc primarily, but motivation is non-existent it's just go from bed to work and back. Went out with a few people the other night, and yet again seemed to watch myself from afar acting the clown and being funny and friendly and basically a stranger to the 'real' me, whoever that may be.
    It's approaching a bad time of year too, and at the moment i just seem to be swinging wildly between complete despair, and blind rage. I get worried i'll get caught off guard by an impulse. I'm currently trying to write this sort of stuff down for my doctor, but i'm still at a blank page. The simple things have become so difficult that they just dominate everyday life to the point of being unable to think about, or do, anything beyond them.

I've been pretty frozen up since my last post here, i know i need to do things, go back to doc primarily, but motivation is non-existent it's just go from bed to work and back. Went out with a few people the other night, and yet again seemed to watch myself from afar acting the clown and being funny and friendly and basically a stranger to the 'real' me, whoever that may be.
    It's approaching a bad time of year too, and at the moment i just seem to be swinging wildly between complete despair, and blind rage. I get worried i'll get caught off guard by an impulse. I'm currently trying to write this sort of stuff down for my doctor, but i'm still at a blank page. The simple things have become so difficult that they just dominate everyday life to the point of being unable to think about, or do, anything beyond them.
    You are still managing to go to work which is a good thing anyway. Can you take holidays to try and deal with the problems? Maybe do some online depression/anxiety tests and print off results for your doctor but bear in mind those tests are indicative and must be performed by a medical professional before any diagnosis is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 redgate

Don't worry we have all been there, even the strongest and most intelligent minds panic when they experience an unusual feeling or emotion that tends to linger and you can't quite shake it off. You just need to take a deep breathe and talk to someone you trust that you know will not judge you and more than likely will give you reassurance and perspective while you feel like this. Talk to your GP, the mood diary is not mandatory but personally I think that taking a moment to reflect and record how your days have been leading up to this time may help when speaking to your GP, invariably we forget to tell him something only to remember it when we have left his/her office!

https://www.turn2me.org/

Heard about this site offering moderated support and advice and group therapy on radio yesterday. Havent registered with it but some may find it usefull.

I was feeling quite down last week, as I said in my last post. Yesterday and today I've been fine though. In fact, today something clicked with me and I began to realise that I have to work on my self-esteem and confidence as a start. It was good for me to be able to come up with something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

So been of the Lexapro about two weeks. Already suicidal tendancies are back and I'm hitting the roof with my moods. I'm all over the place with my moods and acting strange apparently. But I dont care tbh. People deserve better than me. I'm just useless and they dont need me in their lives.

So been of the Lexapro about two weeks. Already suicidal tendancies are back and I'm hitting the roof with my moods. I'm all over the place with my moods and acting strange apparently. But I dont care tbh. People deserve better than me. I'm just useless and they dont need me in their lives.

Some antidepressants can produce suicidal thoughts as a withdrawal symptom. Hang in there, I'm sure you're not useless. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Last week was a low one for some reason.i suppose you can't be ok all the time.

I'm now up to 120mg Cymbalta,max dosage. This is an attempt to see if I can have a good mood. I'm expecting the severe tiredness to kick back in.though this should be the last week in my job so who knows what will happen after that.being away from ****ty work,but also having nothing but time.

IHeart just give it time.did you wean off lustral or just stop? Did your doctor advise you? Just quitting any of them can be very dangerous. I've done it before under advise from my doctor for good reason and it was awful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement