Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

@ IHEARTCHEMISTRY

Please contact your doctor or let a family member know how you feel, i know it's hard to understand but the way your feeling isnt you and what your thinking isnt what you want, it's depression trying to beat you, hang in there please contact your doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Karsini wrote: »
    Some antidepressants can produce suicidal thoughts as a withdrawal symptom. Hang in there, I'm sure you're not useless. :)

Yea, I know. Happened when they took me off Prozac years ago! The Lexapro pulled the same strings on me! The withdrawal symptoms are about as bad as the actual illness itself >.>
    IHeart just give it time.did you wean off lustral or just stop? Did your doctor advise you? Just quitting any of them can be very dangerous. I've done it before under advise from my doctor for good reason and it was awful.

A combo of both me and my doctor. I think I need to be back on them though. I've had an awful two weeks.
    luckyfrank wrote: »
    @ IHEARTCHEMISTRY

Please contact your doctor or let a family member know how you feel, i know it's hard to understand but the way your feeling isnt you and what your thinking isnt what you want, it's depression trying to beat you, hang in there please contact your doctor

Spoke to my Dad and my GP earlier today! Seeing my doctor tomorrow and seeing what they say :) I've battled depression for years so I know it's playing games with me again. Its just so hard dealing with this.

Also...thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Miss_Leela

Hi! I just started DBT today after a couple of assessments. Where are you doing it?

Hi!
    Thank you for replying :) Im starting DBT in mayo, Its pretty new here and this will be the first group sessions that has taken place at the centre... My councillor wants us to start the work now as the group isnt officially starting until Jan and I guess he feels i need some direction as soon as possible...(been is a very bad place since may and have been taken over by my thoughts on a daily basis)
    How are you finding it? Im excited that i have finally been diagnosed with something and that there is help (after years of a viscous circle) but am extreamly anxious because I dont know what to expect, im worried il clam up and not be able to tell the truth about my feelings infront of other ppl.... I guess i wanted to hear from other ppl who are doing or have finished DBT as my councillor will obviously have a biased view of the course..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Had been feeling good over the last week or so,work's been okay,and I even joined a gym just to get out the house when I get home from work,and I've been going too,surprisingly.

But I had jury duty today,and so I had to mix with 'normal' folk and when I got back from it this afternoon I just felt like crap,almost to the point of crying,which I haven't felt like doing in a good while.Mood's have been so up and down over the past month or so,really wish that it'd settle,either on happy or sad,because it's crap being happy for a few days and then suddenly the black cloud is back again.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys

I just started taking effexor a few days ago - day 4 coming up tomorrow. Finally plucked up the strength to go back to my GP - had been in cipramil a few times before, but not for a couple of years, but for the past 12 months I have felt awful and just tried to keep going. But lately I am just so tired of it, the crying, rumination, everything.

Not sleeping great on the effexor and feeling nausea a little, hopefully it will get better.
    I'm a newbie to the tread but an old boardsie. Nice to read about others who feel the same struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Had been feeling good over the last week or so,work's been okay,and I even joined a gym just to get out the house when I get home from work,and I've been going too,surprisingly.

But I had jury duty today,and so I had to mix with 'normal' folk and when I got back from it this afternoon I just felt like crap,almost to the point of crying,which I haven't felt like doing in a good while.Mood's have been so up and down over the past month or so,really wish that it'd settle,either on happy or sad,because it's crap being happy for a few days and then suddenly the black cloud is back again.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

dont be sorry adam :)
    Rambling on about things and getting things off your chest is the best thing you can do ! believe me i have experienced it :o
    the longer you keep bottling things up and keeping things that are troubling you to yourself, the worse you'll make yourself,
    Help is the best thing in the world, for the 1st 5 days on my meds i thought i was a zombie going around, but now there my best friend :D haven't had a bad taught or anything in a good long while.
    Saying it again for 1000th time, if your feeling down please talk to somebody , may it be GP, family member or a Councillor :)

Pudz ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

What have I gone and done? Pushed all my friends away, thats what I've done. Stupidest thing I've probably done. I'm not thinking straight right now. Hope the psychatrist can help in the morning :(

pudzey101 wrote: »
    dont be sorry adam :)
    Rambling on about things and getting things off your chest is the best thing you can do ! believe me i have experienced it :o
    the longer you keep bottling things up and keeping things that are troubling you to yourself, the worse you'll make yourself,
    Help is the best thing in the world, for the 1st 5 days on my meds i thought i was a zombie going around, but now there my best friend :D haven't had a bad taught or anything in a good long while.
    Saying it again for 1000th time, if your feeling down please talk to somebody , may it be GP, family member or a Councillor :)

Pudz ;)

I'm on Cipramil and Lithium and have been for over 6 months,but they don't seem to be working anymore.Have an appt with the psychiatrist in the community clinic in mid December so I'll just try to struggle through til then I suppose,can't really do much else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Is there any way of receiving counselling without your parents finding out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Is there any way of receiving counselling without your parents finding out?

I'm guessing not, as a counsellor would have a duty of care to a minor which would involve the consent of parents / guardians, it may however be possible (and I imagine it is) the that counsellor will not give a lot of details to your parents, that is unless they feel there is a definite need to. All that said, it's probably better that your parents know about it for a number of reasons, speaking as a parent if my daughter ever had to attend counselling I'd want to know, just so I could support her. There's also the other aspect to look at which is it can often be beneficial for the counsellor to get additional insight from your parents.

Now for my own question...
    I've been reading up a lot about depression lately as I am going to quiet a bad patch the last few weeks, that's partly why I haven't been here the last while. One of the symptoms of severe depression which I came across was hallucinations also both times I have been in hospital, I was asked if I hallucinated, now I'm quite sure I don't but how does one actually know. I mean if I saw a pink elephant then yeah I'd be pretty sure, but what if I just some something relatively normal eg a dog or a fly? As I said I'm just asking out of curosity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Gillo wrote: »
    I'm guessing not, as a counsellor would have a duty of care to a minor which would involve the consent of parents / guardians, it may however be possible (and I imagine it is) the that counsellor will not give a lot of details to your parents, that is unless they feel there is a definite need to. All that said, it's probably better that your parents know about it for a number of reasons, speaking as a parent if my daughter ever had to attend counselling I'd want to know, just so I could support her. There's also the other aspect to look at which is it can often be beneficial for the counsellor to get additional insight from your parents.

Now for my own question...
    I've been reading up a lot about depression lately as I am going to quiet a bad patch the last few weeks, that's partly why I haven't been here the last while. One of the symptoms of severe depression which I came across was hallucinations also both times I have been in hospital, I was asked if I hallucinated, now I'm quite sure I don't but how does one actually know. I mean if I saw a pink elephant then yeah I'd be pretty sure, but what if I just some something relatively normal eg a dog or a fly? As I said I'm just asking out of curosity.

Yeah but I can't tell my parents.

Ok, I don't want to sound patronising, really I don't but you'd be surprised what you can tell them, nearly all parents are very supportive despite the fact they may not seem like it.
    I'm guessing you are a teenager? From my experience with counselling / depression, believe me I messed up big time before I realised I had depression but my parents were really supportive. Think about it is all I'll say.

@Gillo:I saw snakes and rats when I had halucinations,the psych said they were from lack of sleep though.

@ItsAWindUp: Try and speak to your Mam or Dad about how you are feeling,they will understand and will suport you in any way they can,I was shocked when I told my parents and couldn't believe how accepting they were.

@Gillo:I saw snakes and rats when I had halucinations,the psych said they were from lack of sleep though.
    Do you mind me asking where they "real" though or where you aware that you were hallucinating?

I thought they were very real at the time,I was afraid to get out of my bed in case they attacked me.Mentioned to the doc that day and she said my mind was playing tricks on me because of a lack of sleep

Hi guys just like to hear from anyone who has had success with an AD specifically with regards to tiredness, being on 20mg lexapro 11 months and my mood is stabe, im just sooooooooo tired all the time, im sleeping okish but even when i sleep well im still shattered tired 24/7

Has anyone took an AD that took away the tiredness and if so can you share your experience with me

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

So been of the Lexapro about two weeks. Already suicidal tendancies are back and I'm hitting the roof with my moods. I'm all over the place with my moods and acting strange apparently. But I dont care tbh. People deserve better than me. I'm just useless and they dont need me in their lives.

Sorry that you're feeling like that, but I think should know that feeling useless and thinking that people wouldn't miss in your lives isn't being fair to yourself! Negative thinking has a self-reinforcing quality and can make terrible thoughts like those seem very logical.

Have you engaged the counselling services in UCC? I found the service really helped me. If you're attending counselling stick at it and make sure to tell them how you're feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I'm dreadful at the moment.
    Really, really bad.
    Don't feel like chatting though.

Just found this.
    I really like it.
    Thought others might like it too.
    It's just a nice inspirational thing.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm dreadful at the moment.
    Really, really bad.
    Don't feel like chatting though.

Just found this.
    I really like it.
    Thought others might like it too.
    It's just a nice inspirational thing.

LINK

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough :(.

Have a hug from me.

Here's a site i use when i feel down i think it might be useful for some people

http://positivegraphics.com/Positive_Web_Ring.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Hi guys just like to hear from anyone who has had success with an AD specifically with regards to tiredness, being on 20mg lexapro 11 months and my mood is stabe, im just sooooooooo tired all the time, im sleeping okish but even when i sleep well im still shattered tired 24/7

Has anyone took an AD that took away the tiredness and if so can you share your experience with me

i'm sick of being so tired all the time too. especially with my dose being upped to the maximum, slept more than 8.5 hours, feel absolutely wrecked still. but at the same time this is the best AD i've been on, so don't want to switch, even though it's so bad, and makes my memory so bad too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

On valium again for my nerves:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Temaz wrote: »
    On valium again for my nerves:mad:

im trying to get some to withdraw from my zoplicone, though the doctor i have refuses to prescribe me it even though he has stopped my zoplicone & i only have a few days left off it.. the withdrawls are going to be brutal & if i had valium i could taper off it easier but he refuses to see it that way.. oh well ill just need to find another way :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Have an appointment with the psychiatrist later... Hopefully he'll be able to sort me out. I'm making a complete mess of my life at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

SNIP

STOP THE "WHAT IF'S"
    Today is a good day to stop the 'What if' thoughts.
    What if I never get better?
    What if it’s not anxiety, but a different mental problem?
    What if my old self is lost forever?
    What if there is something else wrong with me, brain tumour?
    What if I can't breathe?
    What if I have to live like this for the rest of my life?
    What if it’s just me that feels like this?
    What if I'll never be able to enjoy the things I used to?
    Thoughts like this are a waste of time and they usually amount to nothing.
    All they do is keep your anxiety alive. All this worrying puts a tremendous burden on your body. Recovery is not about resting the body as much as resting the mind. Thrashing it daily with worrying thoughts only increases your feelings of panic and anxiety. Since recovery, I have found that worrying is the single most useless emotion we have. It serves no purpose whatsoever and is only counter-productive.
    The next time you have one of these ' What if ' thoughts, just let it go. It's just your habit to worry - understand this - realise it will serve you no purpose and just let it go.

UNDERSTANDING FEELINGS OF UNREALITY - RECOVERING FROM DEPERSONALISATION AND DEREALISATION
    Sufferers of Depersonalisation or Derealisation feel divorced from both the world and their own body. Often people who experience depersonalisation claim that life "feels like a dream", things seem unreal, or hazy; some say they feel detached from their surroundings. Another symptom of this condition can be the constant worrying or strange thoughts that people find hard to switch off.
    People often say that no matter how hard they try, they don't feel like they can interact with the world around them. They feel a sense of detachment from their surroundings, finding it hard to talk and connect with others. Also they feel no love for the people closest to them and even question if they did a certain task or had a particular conversation. The most upsetting thing is they lose a sense of who they are and can't seem to perceive themselves as being normal.
    Depersonalisation is a common and understandable offshoot of the anxiety condition. Before going further into depersonalisation, let me clear up one thing that I get asked often. “No, you are not going mad.” This feeling comes from being constantly worried about your own problems, it is not serious or harmful in any way and has a totally logical explanation. It is temporary and, with patience and understanding, eventually passes like any other symptom.
    Depersonalisation occurs with anxiety because you are so used to watching yourself, questioning your illness, day in, day out, that you start to feel detached from the outside world. Your mind has become tired and less resilient through watching and worrying about your symptoms. It has been bombarded with worrying thoughts and becomes fatigued. When our limbs tire, they ache. When our mind tires, we feel these strange feelings of detachment from the world around us, experiencing an almost dreamlike state, convincing ourselves that we are going mad or losing it. You are not; your mind is just so very tired and just craves a rest from all this introspection of oneself.
    When people are caught up in the worry cycle, they begin to think deeply and constantly. They study themselves from deep within, checking in and focusing on their symptoms. They may even wake in the morning only to continue this habit, “How do I feel this morning? “I wonder if I will be able to get through today?”. What’s this new sensation I feel?” This may go on all day, exhausting their already tired mind further. This constant checking in and constant assessing of their symptoms then becomes a habit. The more they worry and obsess about how they are feeling, the more detached they feel, which in turn has them worrying and obsessing even more, the outside world now takes up little of their attention, they are just so concerned about themselves.
    All this worry is bound to make your mind feel dull and unresponsive. You are so concerned about how you feel, that you are letting nothing else into your day. Is it any wonder you have come to feel so distanced and detached from your surroundings? Is it any wonder you find it so hard to concentrate? Some people, when studying for exams for hours on end, reach the point where they can no longer take information in, so they take a break and carry on the day after. For you, there are no breaks and no time outs.
    What a lot of people don’t know is that depersonalisation can occur in people without anxiety or panic issues. This can occur when someone has lost a loved one, been involved in an accident or maybe a recent shock. It is the body’s way of protecting you from all the worry or hurt you maybe feeling, like a safety valve and it is there to protect you. This is normally temporary and when, say, the person grieving overcomes some of the hurt, the depersonalisation will fade. The trouble with anxiety is that people suffering have a tendency to worry and the depersonalisation comes along to protect you from all this stress and daily worry. People can then feel detached, empty or emotionless. What happens then is that people begin to worry and obsess over this new feeling, thinking it's something serious or they are going mad. They may even forget their anxiety and focus solely on this new feeling which can lead to these feelings increasing. The unreality grows as we enter a cycle of worry and fear and so your body protects you from these feelings of unreality even more, making you feel more distanced and detached than ever. It is the very worry and fear over this feeling that keeps you in the cycle.
    The way to move forward out of depersonalisation is not to worry and obsess about it, but to work with it there; to give it as much space as it needs and not be too impressed by it. See it as your body protecting you and not a sign that something terrible is happening or that you are going mad. This symptom is like any other and the more you worry or obsess about it, the bigger the problem can become and the longer you stay in the cycle.

SNIP

I don't know how to send you a PM to thank you personally (Anonymous?) so I'll thank you here. I feel like you've saved me. I have been getting VERY little sleep over the past few days. I pulled an all nighter last friday to Saturday and I think that's to blame for the following. It started as Derealisation a little on Monday and VERY seriously yesterday. I actually got depersonalisation too. I'm pretty glad I found your post.

It's very likely this is the start of something and maybe if I read your post every few days I'll be able to throw it off before it gets too strong of a hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Miss_Leela wrote: »
    Hi!
    Thank you for replying :) Im starting DBT in mayo, Its pretty new here and this will be the first group sessions that has taken place at the centre... My councillor wants us to start the work now as the group isnt officially starting until Jan and I guess he feels i need some direction as soon as possible...(been is a very bad place since may and have been taken over by my thoughts on a daily basis)
    How are you finding it? Im excited that i have finally been diagnosed with something and that there is help (after years of a viscous circle) but am extreamly anxious because I dont know what to expect, im worried il clam up and not be able to tell the truth about my feelings infront of other ppl.... I guess i wanted to hear from other ppl who are doing or have finished DBT as my councillor will obviously have a biased view of the course..

I don't actually know if there are group sessions involved with what I'm doing, must ask about that. Don't really have an opinion of it yet as I've only had one actual session so far, but I've another tomorrow and I'm kinda looking forward to it! Yeah I agree, having a name for it takes a little bit of the stress away, knowing that it's not just something you're.. making up, if that's the right term for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Miss_Leela

I don't actually know if there are group sessions involved with what I'm doing, must ask about that. Don't really have an opinion of it yet as I've only had one actual session so far, but I've another tomorrow and I'm kinda looking forward to it! Yeah I agree, having a name for it takes a little bit of the stress away, knowing that it's not just something you're.. making up, if that's the right term for it.

Thanks Degausserxo, will you keep in contact and let me know how your getting on :) The group part of DBT is a skills building exercise which is held once or twice a week, there are four modules you discuss, 1, emotional regulation, 2 distress tolerance 3, interpersonal effectiveness and 4 mindfullness.. Its not like group therapy and you dont discuss personal issues..

What's DBT? I've never heard if it but get the idea it's a kind of group therapy.

Has anyone any tips for dealing with constant teirdness? I'm averaging about three hours sleep a night despite having pretty good sleep hygiene, at this stage the tiredness is killing me. Ideally I'd prefer not to go down the road of sleepers as I found them incredibly hard to come off the last time I used them.

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. I have been prescribed Lexapro 10mg for PND. I have taken it for 5 days now and have been waking up at 4am wide awake and sweating. I cannot get back to sleep at all, I'm totally relaxed but have a 'clicking' noise in my ear and jaw spasms.
    I suppose this wouldn't be the worst problem but having a 5 month old baby who also wakes intermittently during the night means I am getting no sleep at all.
    Sleeping tablets are no use to me for that reason.

I have read that insomnia can be a side effect of anti-depressants but need to know if anyone else has experienced this at the start and if it will pass?
    I don't have a lot of faith in my GP to be honest, he waved off this concern saying the Lexapro "shouldn't cause insomnia".

Forgot to add I am taking it in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Gillo wrote: »
    Has anyone any tips for dealing with constant teirdness? I'm averaging about three hours sleep a night despite having pretty good sleep hygiene, at this stage the tiredness is killing me. Ideally I'd prefer not to go down the road of sleepers as I found them incredibly hard to come off the last time I used them.
    Doing some exercise may help you become tired enough to sleep, if you get me.

Also, fruit and veg and vitamin supplements are supposed to be helpful in making you feel more awake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement