Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Bumped into two old army friends that I hadn't seen in ages last night and ended up going for a few pints with them.I wish I hadn't,because they spent the whole evening talking about how much money they're making in their jobs,how many women they've slept with etc.

Just made me feel totally inadequate really,and I feel like crap today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. I have been prescribed Lexapro 10mg for PND. I have taken it for 5 days now and have been waking up at 4am wide awake and sweating. I cannot get back to sleep at all, I'm totally relaxed but have a 'clicking' noise in my ear and jaw spasms.
    I suppose this wouldn't be the worst problem but having a 5 month old baby who also wakes intermittently during the night means I am getting no sleep at all.
    Sleeping tablets are no use to me for that reason.

I have read that insomnia can be a side effect of anti-depressants but need to know if anyone else has experienced this at the start and if it will pass?
    I don't have a lot of faith in my GP to be honest, he waved off this concern saying the Lexapro "shouldn't cause insomnia".

Forgot to add I am taking it in the morning.
    It does cause insomnia as that is a real proven side effect on begining therapy occuring at 3 times the rate that occurs with placebo but he probably meant it was unlikely to be a serious sideeffect for you as only 15people out of a hundred taking the drug will suffer insomnia. Sweating is also a recognised side effect but the majority wont get it either. Yes these side effects pass in vast majority of cases in a few weeks.

You could ask your doctor about trying to take the medicine at night ,and see if that helps or ask him about taking a smaller dose initially and building up to full therapeutic dose which generally minimises the severity of any side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Bumped into two old army friends that I hadn't seen in ages last night and ended up going for a few pints with them.I wish I hadn't,because they spent the whole evening talking about how much money they're making in their jobs,how many women they've slept with etc.

Just made me feel totally inadequate really,and I feel like crap today.

Don't worry about other people, you know while they may seem to have it all, in fact they prob haven't.
    They sound as though they were trying to impress you and each other, which I think in itself shows insecurity.
    They could be stressed out trying to compete, so son't feel they are doing better than you.

You don't need huge money or fame etc, you just worry about your own peace of mind and put those two out of your mind.
    Do not compare yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Not in a good place here at all. I feel like I shouldn't be taking prozac, cos I shouldn't need it, but then I don't take it, and I feel like... I've fallen into a pit, and there's darkness at the top and I can't climb out and its coming closer and closer and its going to get me :( So there we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Xmasholly

Hi everyone, i have bpd, no meds but privately found a great psychotherapist for CBT. Ive been going to him for 18 months, looking back ive prob had bpd for as long as 10 years, but have been suffering from anxiety, depression suicidal thoughts from roughly 8 years old, im 30 now. Have to say this therapist is really helping me be objective and i am changing my behaviour, so things are much more on a even keel, dont get me wrong I still go off on one and get so depressed I burst into tears, particularly at work but its getting better. I am based in Louth but my therapist also works in Dublin, hes a dub originally. If anyone wants his details do not hesitate to PM me. Just a quick thought my therapist left me with last week " You know when your recovery is as complete as it can be, you may not wish to be as even keeled as other people, you may find "normality boring" as a lot of people with BPD or Bo Polar unbeknownst to them enjoy extremes!!!! I have a great rapport with my therapist, therefore we can laugh and joke sometimes, but maybe he is right, this eternal quest to be "normal" may just be that - an eternal quest for emotional boredom!! I dont wish to offend anyone here is having a really horrible time emotionally, I know how it feels but maybe just getting to point of self awareness of the whys of emotions will be enough to help understand yourself and know that certain feelings cant and wont last forever, because nothing stays the same x

• Advertisement

It does cause insomnia as that is a real proven side effect on begining therapy occuring at 3 times the rate that occurs with placebo but he probably meant it was unlikely to be a serious sideeffect for you as only 15people out of a hundred taking the drug will suffer insomnia. Sweating is also a recognised side effect but the majority wont get it either. Yes these side effects pass in vast majority of cases in a few weeks.

You could ask your doctor about trying to take the medicine at night ,and see if that helps or ask him about taking a smaller dose initially and building up to full therapeutic dose which generally minimises the severity of any side effects.

Thank you so much for your reply. I really hope the insomnia passes as it is very distressing. The tablets are working well on my mood and I know I hae to stick with them for a time but it's so frustrating at the moment.

Good article written by the ex footballer Stan Collymore,pretty much sums up what I'm like when things are bad:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ecoqm1

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Xmasholly

:)
    Good article written by the ex footballer Stan Collymore,pretty much sums up what I'm like when things are bad:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ecoqm1

Starview, great insight into this condition.
    I thought i suffered depression in the past, well more like depressive episodes, but the description Stan gives is so graphic, so sad also
    that a seemingly one minute a person has a healthy mind and body and suddenly their world is turned upside down. it must be so
    scary for people who experience this, my heart goes out to all of u :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Reading through posts here and sometimes it makes me wonder..why? just why?
    Going through a bad period at the moment so my outlook is that bit bleaker than usual. I'm taking lexapro - have been for a while now and while it was working fantastically previous to this bout of depression, I feel as though it's having no effect. I'm not sleeping, extremely stressed and anxious, falling behind in college, etc. It's not a good time. I'm going to talk to my doctor about it tomorrow and see where I can go from here. The thought of having to leave my bed in the morning fills me with dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Quick question.

I have been on effexor for months now - did no good.
    Changed to Lexepro today.
    Also given beta blockers for anxiety today too.

My head keeps fizzling (sorry, don't know how else to describe it).
    Is this normal?
    Just a side effect that will go away?

It's not really that bothersome, although it is a bit annoying and disconcerting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Quick question.

Is this normal?

It's not really that bothersome, although it is a bit annoying and disconcerting.

Hi flutterflye,

I started Lexepro about 2 weeks ago. Don't worry about the head 'fizzling'. I had something similar and felt quite dizzy and a little queasy when I first took it. It will pass after a few days of taking the medication when your body gets used to it.

I hope that helps and I hope you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Hi flutterflye,

I started Lexepro about 2 weeks ago. Don't worry about the head 'fizzling'. I had something similar and felt quite dizzy and a little queasy when I first took it. It will pass after a few days of taking the medication when your body gets used to it.

I hope that helps and I hope you feel better.

Thanks a million :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Quick question.

Is this normal?

I also had similar side effects, along with others but it went away after a few weeks. Best of luck with it. Hope it works for you :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Feeling waves of panic tonight at work, trying to breath calmly but such a struggle. I think it's because i've finally decided to be properly honest with my doctor this week and give him a letter (there's no way i could say it all) that records how a day(or days) goes for me. Think he needs to know that 'me' is disappearing, i step outside myself so much that some day i might not get back in.

I've to make the call for the appointment in the morning. Can't chicken out. Quick question, there's some of you in this group that are very articulate, if you've been to your doctor, how hard was it to let go and say everything that's gone crazy with you? I can't believe that i'm so s***less about this, i'm normally blunt to a fault but can't tackle this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I never really have said it all. Took a long time before when asked about suicidal thoughts I could be honest about it and say yes. The letter is a great idea.

Letter is a brilliant idea,best of luck with it :)

i'm now out of my job, since Friday. I met a friend yesterday and so it was grand. but today... Ive been doing nothing. I went food shopping and to the post office, and to the local park, did some work, but I'm on my own all day, all evening. I can see this really affecting my mind. it's alright agitating .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Did you get to a point you had to give up work? It's hard to know if a job is good or bad for you sometimes.

Btw, have to say this is a great thread, thanks for responding to me, ye know who ye are. ;)

Did you get to a point you had to give up work? It's hard to know if a job is good or bad for you sometimes.

Btw, have to say this is a great thread, thanks for responding to me, ye know who ye are. ;)

no it wasnt so much because of my depression. though it was because one of my co workers was being nasty to me in many ways, and i couldn't deal with it. i was due to finish, just had the option to stay on, but didn't want to because of him.

this was my first day really being off, and it's been such a long day. i don't have money that many hobbies would take, so i'm very limited as to what i can do with my time, and besides that I've never really had things i'm interested in anyway. it's making me even more aware of how alone I am.

I hear ya! Re-joined the library during summer in one of my bat-s**t crazy moments so i'd have something to read since i couldn't sleep, felt like i ran out of books in a fortnight though. It's hard to find something to stick to when the mind is so floaty and out of focus. All i can say is keep posting, have to say i'm new to it but finding it very helpful.

• Advertisement

I hear ya! Re-joined the library during summer in one of my bat-s**t crazy moments so i'd have something to read since i couldn't sleep, felt like i ran out of books in a fortnight though. It's hard to find something to stick to when the mind is so floaty and out of focus. All i can say is keep posting, have to say i'm new to it but finding it very helpful.

exactly. i'm bored but i can't concentrate enough for so many things. my friends are suggesting things, but i'm either not able for them or am not interested. feel like a pretty useless lump at the minute.

I find i can be very skittish like that, often have laptop on with a bunch of different pages up, tv on, book and newspaper all at the same time, oh and lately food. :( I may need to start playing buckaroo! I'm pondering some sort of meditation but i think i don't take it seriously enough, you tried anything like that?

I did yoga a few years ago, but didn't find it any good. i just have so much time on my hands now.

This is the bit where i suggest something, but since i've lurked on this thread before getting the courage to post i know most, if not all, bases have been covered, think just focus on making sure you keep your social lines open, be it posting here or meeting a mate, all to easy to retire to festering in the cot. I'm just hoping this wave of whatever has me doesn't sink much further.

no you don't have to suggest anything. I do have friends, which i'm grateful for, but I think they're even getting sick of me now. the library is a good idea though, i'll give that a go. If i remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Feeling myself slip a bit again in recent days, actually quite badly tbh. The same thing happened me this time last year aswell, ended up spending a month in bed (literally the entire month). I think the fact that I'm aware of whats happening is helping me and I am trying desperately to distract myself.

Could always give volunteering a go just to pass the day and to get out and about,our local charity shop were looking for volunteers the last time I was unemployed a few months back and it got me up and away from my thoughts for a few hours every day,even if I was only sorting clothes and old books!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Just out of curiosity, why does one generally suffer from depression? Is it low self esteem? Or is it just something within that seems to awaken every now and then almost crippling you? suffer from a kind of nihilism. I've noticed that I am taking on a worrisome level of apathy to others and myself. I don't really feel the physical downer many people claim to have (Luckily for me) but I often feel mentally frustrated, anxious, confused and unhappy... Which often stems from me asking, "why". I know it sounds pretty cliched.

I've been feeling like this more or less (Sometimes much more, sometimes much less) for about 5 months. It feels like much much longer than that though :P In the beginning I wasn't really a Nihilist or an existentialist. I sort of gave myself my own purpose. But now, I'm settled into college, wondering where this is going. The problem being I know exactly where it's going. To the end. And it won't be long after my end that even my memory is gone - but it's not that my ego can't take that! It's that I've yet to be proven wrong.

People say you can't think like that, it'll bring you down (destructively not in a mood sense) but how can you avoid a thought process? The only way I can think of is by constantly occupying yourself. Distracting yourself. I just don't see the sense in running from an uncomfortable truth.

went to give blood today, my 101st attempt. got to the nurse and i explained i'm on anti depressants. after a chat about it, she said i couldn't give blood because i'm not on a stable enough dose, she'd be afraid it'd be dangerous to lower the dose in my system. she was nice, asking about how i was, wondering why i was so long waiting for counselling.

she rang me when i got home, saying that she's concerned about me, and she wanted my permission to ring my doctor to get her to do something about it. I said no. it's a scary thought to be thrown into that stuff. i mean i feel so dramatic saying i think these things, I think it's only the medication anyway. i'm afraid that they'd say I should be admitted to hospital or something. she suggested if i'm on private health insurance to go to st john of god. i don't know what that is.but i know i don't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

I want to go to bed and stay there until next sumer. Feeling rotten, had my valdoxan dose increased from 25mg to 50mg today, so here's hoping.

The stand in psy didn't give two hoots how bad I was feeling which made me feel even worse.

Can't cope with people or anything right now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement