Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Into to 'DJ' software

Options
  • 15-02-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Heya lads, don't usually wander in here but got a request from a friend of mine about 'DJ' software - now I call it 'DJ' because it's the term he used, though I'm pretty sure he wants to dabble a little in creating/producing music as well as tempo-matching etc. In his own words, he'd like to:

"Take two different songs, mix them together on his computer and add in extra beats"

Right off the bat I was going to suggest a sequencer, specifically Ableton, but I'm unsure as to the hardware requirements when it comes to beat-matching....do USB turntables have ANYTHING to do with facilitating this? Or is that purely for mixing in real time? Would I be right in saying that a sequencer will fulfill his hosting needs, allow him to do some basic editing (cut, paste, loop etc) and mixing, and play around with something like Kontakt or Reason to 'add in extra beats'? :)

Also, if we assume he wont have any need to mix in real time, ASIO4All should do the trick right?

Sorry, I know that's alot of questions right there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

lots of questions. one answer - ableton.

forget about everything else. just tell him to get ableton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

jtsuited wrote: »
    lots of questions. one answer - ableton.

forget about everything else. just tell him to get ableton.

Will do so.

Btw is Traktor designed to work purely with a Deck-esque control surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

TelePaul wrote: »
    Will do so.

nope. but traktor scratch is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

TelePaul wrote: »
    Will do so.

At a very basic level, yes. It gives you two songs (or four songs) and lets you play them together, adding in effects and loops and whatever you like. So yes, it vaguely imitates a normal vinyl set-up, but it's only used as such with Traktor Scratch, using timecode vinyl. It's normally used with MIDI controllers, many of which bear no resemblance to vinyl decks, like the Kontrol X1, Evolution UC33e, or Xone:4D.

Advertisement