If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home needs kitting out!

Options
  • 15-02-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi.
    Just bought a new apartment, don't have any tv/hifi/cinema system etc.
    I want to kit myself out with everything.

Can anyone advise me on what to buy?

I'm a musician, the music I'll be listening to on it would be classical music, heavy metal and classic rock, if that makes a difference to what I'd buy?

Should I just buy from one place all in one go, or buy it in pieces?

Consider me a beginner on all this. I suppose I'll be wanting tv, cd player, tuner, amp, speakers, cinema system.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi NDC.

Thanks for the post and we get to know all sorts of people on boards from the techies to the non-techies and it's what makes our job interesting.

I suppose the main question for you would be :

Are you looking to use the system for music or movies ?

or are you looking to use it for both. If so, are you 80% music and 20% movies ?

The reason I ask this question, is so that we can try and determine if you should go for a system that is geared towards better music reproduction or one that is purely a home cinema system. There are a lot of home cinema systems out there that do not sound good for music, so this is where you need to be careful.

Generally most people buy systems as a complete system to try and get a better price, but if your budget does not allow it, then buying a system in pieces will result in a much better system in the long run. An A/V system could be bought as just a home cinema receiver and a pair of front speakers which would give you music and movies, but until you bought the rest of the speakers (centre, rears and subwoofer) you would not get all the benefits of the receiver.

I hope I am making sense !!!

An example of an excellent music system is :

Marantz CD6003- CD Player - £289.95
    Marantz PM6003 - Amplifier - £249.95
    Marantz ST6003 - Tuner - £149.95
    Monitor Audio BR5 speakers - £399.95

There are lots of other options, but this is just an idea of a popular pack. This is purely for music and the music quality of this system would beat most A/V packs.

Home cinema system

Denon AVR1910 - £429.95
    Monitor Audio BR5 speakers - £399.95
    Monitor Audio BR LCR - £149.95
    Monitor Audio BRFX - £199.95
    Monitor Audio BRW10 - £349.95

This is an example of a good home cinema system that will still be good for music, but not as good as the Marantz package.

I hope this is a good starting point and we can build from here, so if you have a think about what you want from the system, and take a look as those few bits, let me know what you think and also what what you want from the system, and ideally some sort of an idea as to what you want to spend. This kit is a bit like a car....the 1.6 will not perform as well as the 2 litre.

Thanks again for the post and let me know what you think.

Best regards

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.