Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nicky Byrne, Tommy & Hector on 2fm

• 15-02-2010 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

If 2fm were targeting a more mature audience in its new line up, how come they have Westlife’s Nicky Byrne is doing a show?? If it was a once off celebrity thing I might understand, but its 4 weeks he has been lined up for!

Is this a trend we can expect going forward where non-radio people with a profile are getting shows all over the place. Maybe Tommy & Hector have started a trend. Are these people not content with having other entertainment carers that they need to take over as broadcasters too? It seems to be even more over exposure for those people who don’t need it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I havent listened to him yet, but maybe they got a good reaction to him and are giving him more airtime. Ya might hear him on a more permanent basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Who will the taxpayer get next?

Let's see .....Cecilia Ahearn,Miriam Ahearn, Charlie Chalke, Keith Duffy, Shane Lynch, Rex Ryan.

As long as we seem to be infatuated by lowlifes and hard necked chancers, I suppose we, as taxpayers, better not rule it out.

Dear oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

If it pulls in the numbers consistently...then nobody has a good argument against it. If it doesn't work, the numbers will show and things will be back to normal asap. My guess is that maybe one regular national show will come of the trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Who will the taxpayer get next?

Let's see .....Cecilia Ahearn,Miriam Ahearn, Charlie Chalke, Keith Duffy, Shane Lynch, Rex Ryan.

As long as we seem to be infatuated by lowlifes and hard necked chancers, I suppose we, as taxpayers, better not rule it out.

Dear oh dear.

2FM receives none of the licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

I hate when the "if it pulls in numbers" argument is put up.

Just because a show has high numbers doesn't mean its good. Big Brother anyone? I bet if you had a special once off, or short run of a show, where people come on and fart for 30mins and the winner is the producer of the loudest & longest fart, it too would probably get high numbers!

Now I'm not judging any of the shows on 2fm by whats written above, I can't actually pick up 2fm in my car, where I would do 90% of my radio listening.

In summary, high numbers doesn't necessarily mean a show is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Em.....could you please verify how Nicky Byrne is a low life or are you just assuming the upcoming guests are all going to be Z listers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

paulhannon wrote: »
    I hate when the "if it pulls in numbers" argument is put up.

Just because a show has high numbers doesn't mean its good. Big Brother anyone? I bet if you had a special once off, or short run of a show, where people come on and fart for 30mins and the winner is the producer of the loudest & longest fart, it too would probably get high numbers!

Now I'm not judging any of the shows on 2fm by whats written above, I can't actually pick up 2fm in my car, where I would do 90% of my radio listening.

In summary, high numbers doesn't necessarily mean a show is good.

Just because a show has high numbers dosen't mean its good yes thats true because a large amount of people tend to just turn on the radio and stick with whatever is on.
    However i assume a large amount of people would listen just because nicky bryne is associated with westlife and tommy and hector have a large amount of fans for reason.
    Tommy and hector should be scrapped

Just because a show has high numbers dosen't mean its good yes thats true because a large amount of people tend to just turn on the radio and stick with whatever is on.
    However i assume a large amount of people would listen just because nicky bryne is associated with westlife and tommy and hector have a large amount of fans for reason.
    Tommy and hector should be scrapped

:eek:

Sweet Jeebus, one of the reasons I rarely listen to 2FM

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    2FM receives none of the licence fee.

heh heh.... bit like Tesco saying it costs nothing to heat the Cornflake and Cereal aisle, that the other areas bear the cost of the heating.

get off the stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jedbartlet

As it happens, i heard Nicky Byrne last Sunday, he was actually ok. Doing massive concerts / gigs in front of thousands of 15yr olds that wanna ride prepped him well for going a radio show in a studio on his own.

My point is the bigger one of having well known celeb types who have massive exposure and pr already doing shows on air! Why must the likes of 2fm go for a quick fix all the time? Why will the not take the time to take someone in and nurture the talent (assuming it’s already there in some why). Why try and force us to like someone on the radio because they are in a boy band or are comedians or whatever! Is it because they know how much the messed it up before by getting people with no talent and trying to force them on the listener! EG Nikki Hayes!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

heh heh.... bit like Tesco saying it costs nothing to heat the Cornflake and Cereal aisle, that the other areas bear the cost of the heating.

get off the stage.

From the RTE Financial report:
    "No Licence Fee revenue is attributed to RTÉ 2fm as this public service channel generates sufficient commercial revenue to fully cover its costs and to generate a surplus.

The funding of RTÉ Radio 1’s costs comprises:

• RTÉ Radio 1 advertising and sponsorship;
    • surpluses generated by non-channel Radio IBD commercial activities; and
    • surpluses generated by RTÉ 2fm;"

So not only does 2fm cover its costs but also generates money for Radio 1. The report also says that it pays for ALL its operating costs....which would include heating.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Real FM wrote: »
    From the RTE Financial report:
    "No Licence Fee revenue is attributed to RTÉ 2fm as this public service channel generates sufficient commercial revenue to fully cover its costs and to generate a surplus.

The funding of RTÉ Radio 1’s costs comprises:

• RTÉ Radio 1 advertising and sponsorship;
    • surpluses generated by non-channel Radio IBD commercial activities; and
    • surpluses generated by RTÉ 2fm;"

So not only does 2fm cover its costs but also generates money for Radio 1. The report also says that it pays for ALL its operating costs....which would include heating.

Well done.

You just battered Flutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

jedbartlet wrote: »
    As it happens, i heard Nicky Byrne last Sunday, he was actually ok. Doing massive concerts / gigs in front of thousands of 15yr olds that wanna ride prepped him well for going a radio show in a studio on his own.

My point is the bigger one of having well known celeb types who have massive exposure and pr already doing shows on air! Why must the likes of 2fm go for a quick fix all the time? Why will the not take the time to take someone in and nurture the talent (assuming it’s already there in some why). Why try and force us to like someone on the radio because they are in a boy band or are comedians or whatever! Is it because they know how much the messed it up before by getting people with no talent and trying to force them on the listener! EG Nikki Hayes!

:D

The fact that his father-in law has a sterling pedigree must also be a help.

Advertisement