Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting production on a budget...

Options
  • 15-02-2010 7:09pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Been getting in to production with a mate for the last month or so, but from starting out at home on my own, I've realized that he has a serious ammount of vsts and samples. Most of which he paid top dollar for.

What I'm asking is, is it possible to start out producing using freeware vsts? Or am I wasting my time trying with freeware?

Anyone got any tips on which vsts to use to make techno? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Theres plenty of quality free plug ins. I wouldn't worry about that. Just find a nice softsynth you like using and experiment until it all makes sense. Pretty much the only thing you can do.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Thanks for the reply!

I'm using cubase sx, got any tips for that?

I've been searching for a drum machine type vsti(something like battery3) without much luck.

I'm just playing around at the moment, absolute beginner here, still figuring everything out, so any tips are greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Hmm I dont really use drum machines so not sure. They're not 100% necessary. You can just use the sequencer window to do all that.

First thing I'd say to do is make a nice sample library thats well organised. Something like below should do.
    [PHP]
    Samples -> Drums -> Kicks
    -> Snares
    -> etc
    -> Effects
    -> Field Recordings
    -> Miscellaneous
    [/PHP]

Its important because if you've got 1000s of sounds, you dont want to be wasting too much time searching through. Also you should try and only use high quality sounds so dump the rest.

Theres some Cubase specific stuff here, worth a read : http://www.soundonsound.com/search?url=%2Fsearch&Section=8&Subject=14

Tbh you can use any DAW it just comes down to personal taste. As long as you know the basic functions and automation you'll be fine / able to make decent tracks. Just try and get to grips with synthesis first. The best way to do that is experiment and read some tutorials on how synthesisers work.

yeah im working on the sample library, just trying to download as much as i can at the moment, i'm gonna sift through them and dump the **** ones, as you said!

I'm gonna have to do some more reading up on cubase, i thought u NEEDED to have a drum machine like battery to get the drum samples in.....obviously you dont...so i'm a bit lost!

Im still waiting on my sound card to arrive from DV along with my midi keyboard....so will have a bit more of a play around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think there is a free drum machine that comes with computer music magazine, not sure if its available to download online, just did a quick check here it is http://www.kvraudio.com/get/152.html
    That should make things easy enough drum wise. I think you can just load your drum samples into the channels and go from there.

• Advertisement

I got a drum machine sorted this morning, great little thing!

Really liking how I'm gettin on myself, gotta get some more vsts and sample packs tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

careful not to have too many vst's, your better off having a few good ones and learning them inside out. As for drum samples, try to sample from your record collection, dont
    just use the latest vengence sample pack.

I have my drum sampler sorted, got an excellent one off kvr.

Still have a lot to learn about synthesis and making melodys and the likes, but I'm gonna enjoy learning it!

Been wanting to do this with years, and
    I finally got the finger out and started workin! LOVE IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

Togo Audio Line do some reasonable free plugins:

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/

Advertisement