Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sit An Exam For A Subject My School Doesn't Teach?

Options
  • 15-02-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭

I want to sit the technology exam as I had a look at past papers and it is piss easy, but my school doesn't teach it and I've already sent off the form with the levels I'm doing.

If I sit the exam, it could mean the difference of me getting into the course I want to do as there's a good chance of me getting a high mark in the exam.

Is it possible for me to sit the exam? If so, is it too late since I sent off the form with my subjects?

Due to personal problems I have missed a lot of school in the past 2 years and will struggle to even get the 200 points I need, but the technology exam is a hope for me due to it being extremely easy. I figure If I get exempt from religion and sex-ed and study technology for the next 4 months I could do well at higher level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I want to sit the technology exam as I had a look at past papers and it is piss easy, but my school doesn't teach it and I've already sent off the form with the levels I'm doing.

If I sit the exam, it could mean the difference of me getting into the course I want to do as there's a good chance of me getting a high mark in the exam.

Is it possible for me to sit the exam? If so, is it too late since I sent off the form with my subjects?

Due to personal problems I have missed a lot of school in the past 2 years and will struggle to even get the 200 points I need, but the technology exam is a hope for me due to it being extremely easy. I figure If I get exempt from religion and sex-ed and study technology for the next 4 months I could do well at higher level.

Isnt there projects that you have to do? :confused:

Pretty sure there's a project, that you HAVE TO do....

Just concentrate on subjects you are already doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

I'm doing Music outside of school, but I took it up shortly into 5th Year, it might be a little late now. It could be possible, talk to someone in your school, if you have an exams co-ord or someone dealing with subjects they might be able to sort you out. Also what with projects and stuff it might be necessary to have a teacher for Tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Have a look at the syllabus, it's seems to be a lot more involved than you have asserted.

http://www.ncca.ie/uploadedfiles/publications/LC_Technology_Syllabus.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Yes, you might be able to sit the exam.
    but the technology exam is a hope for me due to it being extremely easy. I figure If I get exempt from religion and sex-ed and study technology for the next 4 months I could do well at higher level.

Absolutely not there is project work which has to be done and you definitely have no time to get the project ready, also you have probably not even done any soldering which is a very basic skill for the subject. The technology project is hard this year and you will not be able to do it since you have never done the subject.

The subject looks easy but I can tell you it is definitely not easy at all, it is quite hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Well thanks for the information guys. Looks like my chance at doing well in the exam has been crushed and it's definitely too late in the game for the project.

It's just a shame, I've fallen so far behind in school it's unlikely I'm going to get the 200 points I need for the computing course I want to do, yet I have a vast knowledge in that area and am easily capable of learning in that course, I just won't be able to do it because of my lack knowledge in the subjects I'm doing in school all thanks to family and other personal problems.

People say just try, but it really is bad how far behind I've fallen behind, if only colleges let you in by doing an exam relevant to the course and not **** I haven't a clue about like King Lear or talking about myself in French.

I'd to anything to not have to repeat 6th year, at least if I repeat I'd change school to somewhere decent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

just be careful you know what your getting into before you put it down! i know two girls that had a bright idea og doin ag sci in march last year and bottled it at the last min after realising they under estimated the exam! now its on their results sheet that they didnt do the exam!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

If you work solidly until the exams you should manage your 200 points. Might be a push but it can't hurt to try, instead of resigning to not getting the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Even if you get 100% in the written exam, you'll only get a D1. 50% of the exam is a detailed project.

Advertisement