Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT Test Centre warning

• 15-02-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

.well warning a bit strong of a word but just to advise people

other half had his car in last month and it failed, he got everything fixed and brought it back yesterday

he was failed yesterday again on his dip beams which he thought were working fine so he went out to the car, pushed in something or other (turns out something was loose) and the beams were working perfect

He went back into the test centre and asked the chap to come out and look at it again as the lights were now fine and he said no he would have to pay to do the test again..he appealed to him again to just look as they were fine but he had none of it

I rang the NCT number today the 1890 412 413 number and spoke to the girl to book the re test again and told her what had happened..she said we werent to pay the 22.50 euro again as it was only the lights and even though they do have to put the car up on something it was only lights and she would waive the fee

Passed today :D

Anyway just a word of caution to let ye know that if you do happen to fail on the minor thing like lights that you shouldnt have to pay the full re test fee:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

snuggles09 wrote: »
    .well warning a bit strong of a word but just to advise people

other half had his car in last month and it failed, he got everything fixed and brought it back yesterday

he was failed yesterday again on his dip beams which he thought were working fine so he went out to the car, pushed in something or other (turns out something was loose) and the beams were working perfect

He went back into the test centre and asked the chap to come out and look at it again as the lights were now fine and he said no he would have to pay to do the test again..he appealed to him again to just look as they were fine but he had none of it

I rang the NCT number today the 1890 412 413 number and spoke to the girl to book the re test again and told her what had happened..she said we werent to pay the 22.50 euro again as it was only the lights and even though they do have to put the car up on something it was only lights and she would waive the fee

Passed today :D

Anyway just a word of caution to let ye know that if you do happen to fail on the minor thing like lights that you shouldnt have to pay the full re test fee:)
    had to do retest on mine last wednesday as it failed on a bubble in the tyre wall so replaced two front tyres and brought it up to show em and had no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,683 ✭✭✭✭looksee

From the NTC website:
    'All re-tests must be booked within 21 days of the initial test. Re-tests which do not require the use of a test lane, will be free of charge. Free re-tests will cover minor visual items for example, replacement of windscreen wiper and registration plates. Re-tests must be completed within 30 days of the initial test or a full test will need to be repeated and charged accordingly.'

Maybe the mechanic was assuming the lights would have to be checked on a test lane to see if they were correctly aligned for dip?

I was failed because I was missing both brake lights, which was stupid on my part as I could have easily checked them myself, and was potentially a serious issue, but they let me go and get them replaced and did not charge for the retest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

looksee wrote: »
    I was failed because I was missing both brake lights, which was stupid on my part as I could have easily checked them myself, and was potentially a serious issue, but they let me go and get them replaced and did not charge for the retest.

So you had no brake lights ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

i failed before on my door handle and my wipers and i got them fixed, brought them back and the guy just looked and passed them

i was aware that if your car had to be put up on the machine you would have to pay the re test fee

if i had rang today and said nothing we would have been charged the 22.50 euro but the girl said that there was no need to pay, though the guy in the NCT centre said that there was

not having a go at all on the nct guys just to make people aware that for lights you dont have to pay, just have a word with the girl when you ring to book a re test:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Mate of mine in Dublin was failed because he had 'forgotten to remove the hubcaps'. He was subsequently passed after pointing out to them that his wheels were alloys!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I know a chap who can pay for a pass. I know this post is gonna be deleted which is fair enough. nuff said.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I know a chap who can pay for a pass. I know this post is gonna be deleted which is fair enough. nuff said.
    i,d say a lot of this goes on with back handers and stuff like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i,d say a lot of this goes on with back handers and stuff like that

thats s bit unfair on the guys making a living in there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

this nct lark is only valid from when a car enters then leaves a test center. after that it is only a piece of part useless paper that helps get you past the highway shicloines,,,..........

robtri wrote: »
    thats s bit unfair on the guys making a living in there....
    its like any job what people don,t know won,t hurt em!!! i bought a car a few years back in limerick that turned out to had been seriously damaged in a crash and fixed up and put back on the road and passed its nct for some unknown reason????i started having major trouble with the car and took it to an the engineer in cork he said the thing was,nt fit for the road and asked me was the garage(the garage in question had a few throughout the country) was it near an nct centre i said yes and he said it would make ya wonder as there outlet in cork was near an nct centre also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The NCT fail my car for rust at the jack points ,
    The wife had brought the car to the test so asked what needed to be done for it to pass , The NCT lad informs her that the two panels/sections with have to be removed and new panels/sections welded back into place,
    When she come home i have a quick look and even to my untrained eye its looks like just surface rust and not else , Get a mate [ qualified mechanic and engineer] to have a look , Within seconds he say its surface rust and that quick clean down and sealing will do the trick ,

= bit of elbow grease and €20 odd for sealant
    Return for retest , Passed No prob

Now If we had blindly followed their advice
    Full day in workshop , two panels to be cut out and new panels to be cut , fitted and welded in place, oh don't forget labour charge = €€€€€ cost god knows ,

it a test to fill the government coffers with the vat they get from car parts and to make applus testing richer and nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GIS A JOB

My car failed NCT last week because of a split seal on the uvboot. I paid 50 Euros for the test. Then 85 euros for the repair, part was 20Euros and labour was 65Euros. Took it back next day and had to pay another 28Euros to NCT centre, it passed. Is there different pricing for re-testing as someone on this site spoke about 22.50Euros for re-testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

our re test would have cost 22.50 euro..thats what it says on the form we got when it failed..22.50 for a re test

yeah it usually half the price of original test

Advertisement