Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of medical exam for working in Oz with children

Options
  • 15-02-2010 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I need a medial for my Oz Visa as i intend to hopefully work in childcare.
    I have been given the list of panel of registered doctors i need to attend.
    I have until March 9 to do this.
    There are currently 4 medical centres in Dublin, 1 in Cork and one in Waterford.
    As I live in Galway Dublin is the easiest for me to access by public transport in order to make the trip in one day.
    I rang a centre in Donnybrook and they quoted €290 including a chest x-ray which I have to travel to the Matre private hospital for.
    To me this is an awful lot of money.
    Can anyone tell me is this the going rate or can anyone advise better.
    Thanks for reading this and for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A couple of years ago when I was doing the medical for my visa, it was a similarly overpriced nightmare. I did mine in the UK - healthcheck, HIV test and chest x-ray. The waiting list for an NHS doctor was nine weeks. I paid about £250, I think, and got it done that week in London, just to get it out of the way.

Ring every centre and get prices from all of them, but yes, if it's anything like the UK, it is a cash cow and you will come off the worse financially!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

A couple of years ago when I was doing the medical for my visa, it was a similarly overpriced nightmare. I did mine in the UK - healthcheck, HIV test and chest x-ray. The waiting list for an NHS doctor was nine weeks. I paid about £250, I think, and got it done that week in London, just to get it out of the way.

Ring every centre and get prices from all of them, but yes, if it's anything like the UK, it is a cash cow and you will come off the worse financially!

Sounds expensive alright .... I done my medical for my PR visa in Australia about a year ago and it cost $280 and that included the chest X-Ray, and its the exact same medical as the one for working with Children/Hospital because I had to do that for my job about 4 years ago.

Its about 1/2 the price in Australlia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I did it last March in the place in Donnybrook - it was €230 for the medical and another €100 or so for the X ray.

Was not happy, but them's the rates. I think the place in Drumcondra was something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Hi, we did ours in the Donnybrook clinic and the same day did the Xray's in the Blackrock clinic. found the clinic very good and fast at sending out the forms. Can't remember the exact price (it was for a family of four).

But would recommend the clinic and book the Blackrock clinic for the same day as the Meds.

regards

Silverski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SissyBubbles

Thanks to everyone for your replies,
    I have decided against visa with medical.
    I am just waiting for the Oz Immigration Authorisies to get back to me to see if it's possible or not.
    So fingers crossed!
    Thanks again everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 okeeffejohn

The cost of the medical in Donnybrook has always been 150 Euros, but if blood tests are also done - and you may need none or up to three - it will cost more for these tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

The other place in Cork that does them are €150 per adult, €100 for children, €50 per xray - its €600 for a family of 4 :eek: and this is our 2nd lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jb82

hi does anyone know how long it takes to get all this medical stuff done for a whv. i heard of a thing called ehealth where the clinic posts your results off instantly. does it take long to get an appointment with these clinics? and how long does it take to get processed afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

You will be hard set to get a visa, outside of the WHV, without a medical.
    You have to satisfy health requirements set out in Migration Regulations.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1071i.pdf

And if you wish to work with children, you will need to get a WWC card here in Australia, each state has their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Hi mandrake just wondering were you got your medical done for PR have to get a medical done for a NZ visa which is very similar to the PR medical ie: blood test, chest xray and general medical but so far have been quoted 650 and 700 dollers by two different medical centres in melbourne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 delboy86

hey guys,

just reading through posts in regards to medicals and xrays. I was applying for my visa directly with the Australian government and when asked if I planned to work with childcare in a childcare facility or similar I selected yes (as I plan to work in a Montessori School). They then told me I would need a medical examination and chest xray if I was to do this. So my question is this, am I best to get the exam and xray done here before I leave or is it cheaper or easier to get it done over there. Is there any way I would get employed without either?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Hi mandrake just wondering were you got your medical done for PR have to get a medical done for a NZ visa which is very similar to the PR medical ie: blood test, chest xray and general medical but so far have been quoted 650 and 700 dollers by two different medical centres in melbourne

I used HSA but that's back in '09 it's now known as medibank.

http://www.medibankhealth.com.au/government_content.asp?t=Visa+Medicals&cid=35

http://www.medibankhealth.com.au/files/editor_upload/File/documents/Price%20List%20Visa%20Medicals%20MHS%202011-12%20-%20FINALv3.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Nothing is cheaper over here so get stuff done at home.

The x-rays you get will stay valid for 12 months so if your over on a WHV you can use them for a 457.

I imagine if your working in childcare you will ned some kind of clearance from the Guards as well so best to get this sorted before you leave, but i could be wrong on you needing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 buster26

jb82 wrote: »
    hi does anyone know how long it takes to get all this medical stuff done for a whv. i heard of a thing called ehealth where the clinic posts your results off instantly. does it take long to get an appointment with these clinics? and how long does it take to get processed afterwards?

Hi, I applied for my WHV and needed the medical exam as i want to work in childcare aswell. I only had to get the chest xray. Got it done in the Matter Private it cost €144. When I rang I could get an appointment whenever suited so dont think you'll have to wait long for one.

The Matter emails your results via the ehealth. My visa was approved within 3hrs of getting the xray done. I had applied for my visa direct to oz government so dont know if it takes longer if you are using an agency.

Advertisement