Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How the flip to you decide?

• 15-02-2010 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

ok, for ages, we have had one window manufacture, and we loved the windows, thought they were excellent quality,.. . everything about them were A1, Price, in the region of 35k, wood on the inside, alu on the outside, *************. good service and quality,

Then, I decided just to send on the plans to a few other manufactures, as we are coming close to been ready for measurements. I even sent it to a few PVC suppliers,
    ***********came in at 13K, again good service and quality

I have no connection with either company, both are just totally different windows.

Question,

how does one make this decision, obviously money is a factor, but we would all love to have our houses at the lowest price..

Myself and the wife are simply torn between these two different options, one is 3 times the price of the other, , ,

what amount of points could ye possibly come up with that will cover 3 times the cost?????

edit: infracted! read charter

syd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

It depends on what 20 grand means to you, if its another 20 grand to be giving to back the bank for 30 years I`d think carefully about it myself. I`m in the same situation, when your throwing around money buying stuff its easy to lose track of what its actually worth.

First thing is the practicality of it, are they both A1 rated windows ? If the cheaper ones arent its +1 for the alu clads.

I believe alu clads will last a bit longer than PVC windows, I`m not too sure on that one though.

Finally the looks, are you happy with the PVC windows ? I went with wood finish ones myself, I think there fine. Alu clad is sexy, but I think its important have perspective on these kinds of things too, you wont be out staring at the windows every day, as long as they dont make you cringe I think its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

Reading the OP's post again, neither are A1-rated it seems.

ONQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

onq wrote: »
    Reading the OP's post again, neither are A1-rated it seems.

ONQ.

13K A rated 1.2

35K A Rated 1.3

Ah I see, I saw A1 and my mind started filling with BER certs and the like :D.
    13K A rated 1.2

35K A Rated 1.3

Personally I would be thinking about using the extra cash to try for triple glazing with 0.8, but I`m a practical kinda guy myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

While Aluclad windows are fantastic, I dont know how you could justify an extra 22k for windows that perform the same function and provide the same uvalues, especially when you consider the additional interest it would generate on a long term mortgage.

Have you looked at timber windows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

i am begining to turn my thoughts.

Im struggling to find the courage to throw away 22K on what i can only describe now as "cosmetics"

i mean, 1.2/1.3, to be honest, i went thru the quotes and on average they are about 1.25 .. . .

I do like the thoughts on tripple glazed pvc and a nice price. ..

maybe they will also be expensive. . .

hmmmmmmmmmmm,. .. . i can ponder about this while i lie awake thinking tonight.. .

i am begining to turn my thoughts.

Im struggling to find the courage to throw away 22K on what i can only describe now as "cosmetics"

i mean, 1.2/1.3, to be honest, i went thru the quotes and on average they are about 1.25 .. . .

I do like the thoughts on tripple glazed pvc and a nice price. ..

maybe they will also be expensive. . .

hmmmmmmmmmmm,. .. . i can ponder about this while i lie awake thinking tonight.. .

Triple glazing has come down alot in price, I would find it hard to imagine it adding more that 30-40% to the cost, and I think that might be a very high estimate. Ultimately its down to aesthetics, you might even find that cheapo wood finish pvcs look nicer on your house than alu clad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We went with Alu-Timber composite windows. My OH was adamant that from the start she did not want PVC windows. When we were preparing our figures for the bank we based it on AluClad/AluTimber windows.

The problem for the OP is that he is comparing two totally different products. It is like comparing a Renault Laguna to BMW 5 Series. They both work fine but one looks far better and is probably far better made than the other. You pay more for the vastly superior product. (Apologies in advance for offending Laguna drivers but my one broke my heart and my bank balance!)

When we saw the windows we eventually ordered we could see clearly why they would cost twice as much as PVC. I have never seen a PVC product that looks as good on the inside and that is as sturdy as the AluTimber. I think you should be able to see the difference in the product. If you can't I would have strong reservations about the AluClad window you are looking at.

I have no problem in the world with PVC. It would've been my preference from a cost point of view but my OH had other ideas and when they were put in I was fully convinced that the higher cost was money well spent. No regrets whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Mr Edge,

Did you buy double or triple glazed aluclad? Do the company make triple glazed aluclad? Cheers.

S

We went with double glazed. We were told we'd never get value on the extra pane. I'm not sure if the company do triple glazed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wolfhound14

Hi Countryhome,

I was wondering if you could PM me the two suppliers.
    I just received my first quote for windows and it was over €40k. (alu-clad)

I was originally thinking windows would be in the 20-25 range and there's no way I can justify the quote.
    I'm just starting out, but am looking for alternatives.

Wolfhound, don't worry. Our first quote was 44k and that was for a brand we were told after to avoid. We got a vastly superior quality window for 25k, shop around. I thought initially that we would have to go with standard timber but we kept shopping around. And when you dangle the blank cheque in front of the salesman you'll save another few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

ok, for ages, we have had one window manufacture, and we loved the windows, thought they were excellent quality,.. . everything about them were A1, Price, in the region of 35k, wood on the inside, alu on the outside, *************. good service and quality,

Then, I decided just to send on the plans to a few other manufactures, as we are coming close to been ready for measurements. I even sent it to a few PVC suppliers,
    ***********came in at 13K, again good service and quality

I have no connection with either company, both are just totally different windows.

Question,

how does one make this decision, obviously money is a factor, but we would all love to have our houses at the lowest price..

Myself and the wife are simply torn between these two different options, one is 3 times the price of the other, , ,

what amount of points could ye possibly come up with that will cover 3 times the cost?????

edit: infracted! read charter

syd

I'm in a similar position to your self. Prices are fairly similar also. I'm thinking of putting the aluclad one side of the house and pvc on the other. I know that this would not be an option on most houses but it will work on my house and will keep the costs down. I'm putting aluclad in the rooms that will be most used ie living room, kitchen, master bedroom.

Maybe this might be an option for you too.

Advertisement