Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Large Quantity of Rice

Options
  • 15-02-2010 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I am having a party for approx 15-20 people and I am planning on doing a curry and a beef dish served with rice. I am just wondering what is the best method of cooking rice for that amount of people. I have a slow cooker - has anyone tried cooking rice in them? I know there is issues about reheating rice, but could I cook the rice the day before and reheat it. Just concerned about the quantity of rice and getting it cooked. Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

If you have a big enough pot just boil it as normal, it doesn't take too much longer than a smaller amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

would you consider microwaving 6-8 packets of microwavable rice?....with catering for 15 people, sounds' like you'll have a lot going on on the night....as a once off, it's not a bad idea and you could flavour it simply with mixed chopped spring onion, paprika, coriander etc afterwards....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'd just cook it in batches over 24 hours beforehand and store it in the fridge. Cook it so there's still a bit of a bite in it, and as soon as it's strained, rinse it in cold water to prevent stodginess.

Then on the day to serve it, refresh in pots of boiling water for around three minutes (keeping in mind that if you dump a bowl of refrigerated rice into a pot of boiling water, the water will immediately go off the boil).

Rice is like anything else - yes, you can get very sick if someone improperly stores and reheats rice in which bacillus cereus has taken. The trick around it is to cook it, cool and refrigerate it asap, then heat it thoroughly again - though with rice, which is exceptional in food, the cooling process is the most important because this prevents bacillus cereus from establishing while the rice sits at room temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rice is like anything else - yes, you can get very sick if someone improperly stores and reheats rice in which bacillus cereus has taken.
    True, people tend to blame dodgy meat from takeaways when rice is the more likely culprit. Rice is used for growing fungus and is a great substrate for bacteria.

I have a high tower pressure cooker and would do it in that. This is the only one worth getting in argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8610351/Trail/searchtext%3EPRESTIGE.htm

My mother cooks rice in covered casserole dishes in the oven, at the same time as the curry. If you had one of them and 2 large pots on the go at the same time it should be enough.

Advertisement