Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Desk

Options
  • 15-02-2010 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Despite the new name for Help Desk, I see that there is still people starting threads there that have nothing to do with boards complaints/assistance

I think this is because, on the boards.ie homepage, there is still an icon underneath the boards logo saying "help desk"

So maybe that needs to be changed aswell, to stop people starting the wrong type of threads!

Hope this helps!!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

:) Yeah, cheers dude!

There are actually a number of places that the helpdesk is pimped, welcome emails, place at the bottom of the site, other help files etc. We're not sure what is the root cause of all this, but at the end of the day, maybe we (admins) just have to suck it up and take solace in the fact that the site is so big and (contrary to our own experience) difficult to 'get', so we may just have to field the requests and pass them over to the relevant forum.

It's crazy how many strange requests we get there, but tbh the lads in the office get even madder emails. "why is my board not working, help me, there is no wave for me to surf on, and my board isn't floating". OK, that's not actually an email they have received, but we're so big now that we're just seen as an online help database for real life(tm) problems sometimes.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Gordon wrote: »
    :) Yeah, cheers dude!

There are actually a number of places that the helpdesk is pimped, welcome emails, place at the bottom of the site, other help files etc. We're not sure what is the root cause of all this, but at the end of the day, maybe we (admins) just have to suck it up and take solace in the fact that the site is so big and (contrary to our own experience) difficult to 'get', so we may just have to field the requests and pass them over to the relevant forum.

It's crazy how many strange requests we get there, but tbh the lads in the office get even madder emails. "why is my board not working, help me, there is no wave for me to surf on, and my board isn't floating". OK, that's not actually an email they have received, but we're so big now that we're just seen as an online help database for real life(tm) problems sometimes.

I have to say I'd miss it if it was not like this. I always like to imagine what the admins think when they see the latest helpdesk mega thread re Joss stones hair colour or how possibly no longer existant railway delivery methods used to work.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It is back to being called helpdesk again now. Is that deliberate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

5starpool wrote: »
    AFAIK it's deliberate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I would think that making it easier to get the index page would help with this issue. It would help new people find the forums they would interested in.

Maybe make it the homepage for an account that is under 10 posts or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

5starpool wrote: »

Even though it was changed to a name that you would think would stop the threads.
    It didn't. Not one tincy bit.
    So name changed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Maybe threads that dont belong there should be deleted and a PM sent to the poster to explian why their thread was deleted and a link to a suitable forum where they can ask there question.

Or maybe there could be two seperete forums created, One called "Boards.ie Assistance" and another called "boards.ie Complaints"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good notion rotinaj, but like Beruthiel mentioned the previous clear title change didnt change the off topic stuff even a tincy bit(Admin technical term :D). Assistance may get the current off topic stuff and well Complaints could get interesting... :)

There's a more wide ranging demographic signing up and getting involved online. It's easy to forget how something obvious to me may not be so obvious to others. I'm guilty of that myself. I cut my teeth on a mates forum. And the howlers I made back then :o(quiet down the back). Thank god the web wasnt around when I was 18. :eek:

So people will make mistakes, even if you called it the Pink Marshmallow of luurve forum. Though... And credit where its due the mods in there mod such mistakes with patience and direction.

Your first idea is a good one and might be workable? It would add to the workload moderating wise though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

There's someone looking for financial advice there at the moment...

Could you rename it to Boards.ie Website/Technical Queries or something like that?

Advertisement