Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody been to Optilase Clinic in Canada St.?

• 15-02-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has been there and what your experience has been? Considering dumping the specs and laser treatment sounds like a good option.

If you have been there, a few questions:
    1) Comment on your experience with Optilase? How would you rate them?
    2) Did you get the results you were looking for after the surgery?
    3) What side effects (if any) did you have after the surgery? I've heard some people are left with a gritty feeling in their eyes :eek:

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Id like to know this also..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Me three!! If I could get a ballpark figure on cost as well we'd be hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's a week on after the surgery and I needn't a been so worried!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I want to know if you really do notice the girls noticing you more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Wrong thread, you might be looking for plastic surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

JPA wrote: »
    It's a week on after the surgery and I needn't a been so worried!

lol, I hate that advert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

i wonder would you be better asking in another forum op? I'd be interested myself, i'm sure they are all the same.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP your probably getting offer using google or something as the side affects are general and not something specific to Waterford.

You'll find alot more info then you'd likely get here

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

How do you do MrMagoo?

I had the laser treatment a couple of years back, it was the Waterford Eye Clinic then but it's the same place. Dr. James O'Reilly performed the procedure on both eyes. I think he is still there now. Here, I'll answer your queries on my PERSONAL experience but at the end of the day there's a few risks involved so the decision is yours!!

Personally I had no issues and have perfect vision. The day after is unreal, I'll put it to you this way, it's like looking ant a badly tuned television and suddenly upgrading to high definition, everything is sharper and colours are more defined.

As I said Waterford Eye Clinic were very professional and had no issue with them. I had a few consultations after the surgery and any queries or concerns were addressed

Better than expected, didn't realise what I was missing. Far surpasses wearing glasses!

3) What side effects (if any) did you have after the surgery? I've heard some people are left with a gritty feeling in their eyes :eek:

I sometimes get dry eyes alright but only when I am tired other than that a bit of glare from lights but I had that anyway due to astigmatism (curving of the cornea I think!)

Up to yourself bud, I heard all the bad stories as well before I got it done. I also had to sign a disclaimer before surgery. Both of which freaked me out but said I would get it done anyway.

It's space age stuff, not putting you off but I will try to describe the procedure.

You are given 2 valuum to relax you. After a while you are brought in and your eye is held open and drops are put in to numb.

You are then asked to focus on a redlight and a blade sweeps across the eye. You feel nothing. Then the laser starts, you can hear crackling and get a slight smell of burning. Last for a few seconds is all. Then the cornea is closed back up again.

You are given 2 sleeping pills and sent back home with a pair of sunglasses and a pair of eye shields to sleep it off!!

Best of luck whatever you decide :)
    MrMagoo wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has been there and what your experience has been? Considering dumping the specs and laser treatment sounds like a good option.

If you have been there, a few questions:

Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I too had my eyes done in the Waterford Eye Clinc.

I found them very professional, I was there with Mr. O'Reilly.

I found for a short time after that the glare of headlights at dusk were a bit irritating/(bright).

I haven't had any other complaints since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

clockwork_orange.jpg

It's a week on after the surgery and I needn't a been so worried! *Now if only I stopped hearing those voices in my head*

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Very interested in peoples opinions on this.

Were any of the posters who got it done told they needed a steady sight prescription for X amount of time before it could be considered? Thats one of the rumours I've heard, which means i'll never be getting it done lol!

Also, anyone here know how it works out for someone who spends a hell of a lot of their time looking at computer screens?

and most importantly, can you get an upgrade to allow you to see around corners?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

There might be some usefull info in some of these threads!! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055183270&highlight=laser+surgery&page=17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Were any of the posters who got it done told they needed a steady sight prescription for X amount of time before it could be considered? Thats one of the rumours I've heard, which means i'll never be getting it done lol!

I wasn't told this... There are instances where they won't do it. i.e. if you have Diabetes, a history of glaucoma in your family. Depending on how lazy an eye you have if you have/had one, a sty or unusual shaped eye balls.

Also, anyone here know how it works out for someone who spends a hell of a lot of their time looking at computer screens?

I spend alot of time infornt of a computer screen, you should be taking regular breaks from looking at the screen anyway.

and most importantly, can you get an upgrade to allow you to see around corners?!?!

No unfortunately not I wanted something similar but Bionic sight is not possible at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

trishw78 wrote: »

I wasn't told this... There are instances where they won't do it. i.e. if you have Diabetes, a history of glaucoma in your family. Depending on how lazy an eye you have if you have/had one, a sty or unusual shaped eye balls.

I spend alot of time infornt of a computer screen, you should be taking regular breaks from looking at the screen anyway.

No unfortunately not I wanted something similar but Bionic sight is not possible at this time.

No bionic sight? Well then its just plain overpriced!!

Joking aside though, it is something I'm going to check out, because my glasses really get on my wick and contacts can be pricey enough too.

I suppose a consultation is the only way to get a definitive answer about the computer screen question, because if its going to revert back to needing glasses anytime soon, then its a nonrunner for me. Also, it'd give a pro opinion on some of the comments in the thread linked by jayboi. One guy on there sounds like he is on commission from specsavers!

Thanks for the answers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

mecco wrote: »
    No bionic sight? Well then its just plain overpriced!!

Joking aside though, it is something I'm going to check out, because my glasses really get on my wick and contacts can be pricey enough too.

I suppose a consultation is the only way to get a definitive answer about the computer screen question, because if its going to revert back to needing glasses anytime soon, then its a nonrunner for me. Also, it'd give a pro opinion on some of the comments in the thread linked by jayboi. One guy on there sounds like he is on commission from specsavers!

Thanks for the answers :)
    Just do what i do, dont wear your glasses and live in a world of stunning fuzzyness and headaches.

Advertisement