Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEI Grant refused after getting a job done, any advice ?

• 15-02-2010 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Just got a letter from the SEI saying they couldnt process my grant because

A) the U - Value does not reflect thickness of insulation, please recalculate. (the U - Value for the roof was was highlighted with a marker on the form).

B) BER assessment must be completed both before the work has commenced and after the work is completed. Please return the BER DOW when both BER assessments are completed and published on the BER website.

I haven't a notion what all this insulation lingo is, the guy who done it told me to fill out the forms online and gave me a number (I assume the BER) to fill in and I filled out the rest. I then got some forms in the post, the lads who did the job filled them out on the day and I just signed em after paying em.

Im working during their phone lines opening hours all this week so its gonna be a pain in the arse calling them, can anyone shed any light on why this didn't go through ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The BER (building energy rating) isn't mandatory, but im guessing you applied to get the grant for it? The €200 on top of the €250 for the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Johnick

Davy wrote: »
    The BER (building energy rating) isn't mandatory, but im guessing you applied to get the grant for it? The €200 on top of the €250 for the insulation.

Yea I applied for the grant, got the roof walls (front and back) done, cost me €1100 in total but they said id get about €600 back on the grant :(

Johnick wrote: »
    Yea I applied for the grant, got the roof walls (front and back) done, cost me €1100 in total but they said id get about €600 back on the grant :(

I mean did you apply for the grant to get a BER done?
    A ber is a text on the house to see what the engergy rating is. One has to be done before the work starts, and then one to be done after work is finished, so it should show the rating improve from a D to a C for example. Its is not compulsory though. Its only compulsory if you tick to take the €200 for the grant.

The insulation grant is separate. Its €250 for roof, and €400 for walls. So you should get €650 from them.

I mean did you apply for the grant to get a BER done?

Havent a clue to be honest, like I said, I dont have a clue what all this insulation lingo means.
    The insulation grant is separate. Its €250 for roof, and €400 for walls. So you should get €650 from them.

€650 sounds about right, so If I didnt need a BER, why are they whining about it ?.

Thanks btw

€650 sounds about right, so If I didnt need a BER, why are they whining about it ?.

Thanks btw

I don't know really, only reason i think is that you ticked it by mistake. Can you find the original letter they sent to you in the post, it should have the details on what you applied for. You should try give them a quick call if you can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

They are ok on the phone lines, you may just have to reapply. Certainly on point b anyway. Point A though is different, what did you put down for the thickness of attic insulation?.

what did you put down for the thickness of attic insulation?.

I didnt, the guy who did it filled it in, he put down 0.59 w/m2k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Just got a letter from the SEI saying they couldnt process my grant because

A) the U - Value does not reflect thickness of insulation, please recalculate. (the U - Value for the roof was was highlighted with a marker on the form).

B) BER assessment must be completed both before the work has commenced and after the work is completed. Please return the BER DOW when both BER assessments are completed and published on the BER website.

I haven't a notion what all this insulation lingo is, the guy who done it told me to fill out the forms online and gave me a number (I assume the BER) to fill in and I filled out the rest. I then got some forms in the post, the lads who did the job filled them out on the day and I just signed em after paying em.

Im working during their phone lines opening hours all this week so its gonna be a pain in the arse calling them, can anyone shed any light on why this didn't go through ?.

Maybe they are looking for an application number. I applied for the grant online and at the end I got this, maybe I am wrong but just a thought.The number could be the contractor number aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lahmurpro

Hi
    Your situation is that you wanted to insulate your attic and apply for the grant to of set some of the cost.First of all you need to get a BER Cert done for the house, this gives you the rating without anywork done. You then get your work done.The contractors then verify their work on the SEI forms.In this case it sounds like the insulaters did not put down the thickness of the insulation only what they call the u-value.This is not enough information for SEI.After the work is completed you then do a second cert which takes into account the work done on the house and you will end up with a higher rating.Both certs have to be done by a BER assessor and usually they will charge less for the second cert because they only have to update the info although will still have to register the two certs with SEI at a cost.Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,617 ✭✭✭✭looksee

lahmurpro wrote: »
    Hi
    Your situation is that you wanted to insulate your attic and apply for the grant to of set some of the cost First of all you need to get a BER Cert done for the house, this gives you the rating without anywork done. You then get your work done.The contractors then verify their work on the SEI forms.In this case it sounds like the insulaters did not put down the thickness of the insulation only what they call the u-value.This is not enough information for SEI. After the work is completed you then do a second cert which takes into account the work done on the house and you will end up with a higher rating.Both certs have to be done by a BER assessor and usually they will charge less for the second cert because they only have to update the info although will still have to register the two certs with SEI at a cost.Hope this helps.

"First of all you need to get a BER Cert done.....After the work is completed you then do a second cert"

The BER is a certificate saying what the Building Energy Rating of your house is. You really only need it if you are selling your house.

You have to get two BERs done (before and after the work) if you are looking for the BER grant (€200)

You can get a Building Energy Rating, but you will not get the rating grant unless you have had work done and had a rating before and after the job.

Minimum grants for first applications are €500 - in other words, you must have spent at least €500 - not including the BER grant.

If you are only looking for a grant for say, roof insulation and cavity wall insulation, you only need information about the insulation (letter from the people doing the work).

All work must be done by people on the 'approved contractors' list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,385 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I didnt, the guy who did it filled it in, he put down 0.59 w/m2k

That figure doesnt reflect a reasonable level of insulation. Perhaps the guy made a mistake filling out the form. For example, if he placed 250mm of quilt, he should have written down the type of insulation, its thickness & the U value achieved. You should surely have ended up with a figure of 0.16 or 0.2 w/m2k.

Advertisement