Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Hammer's 50 albums of the decade

Options
  • 15-02-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I thought this was quite a dissapointing list of albums from the 00s. I'll explain why I thought it was dissapointing in a while. Anyway here is what Metal Hammer thinks are the top albums of the 00s:

50. Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion
    49. Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted
    48. Anthrax - We've Come for You All
    47. Converge - Jane Doe
    46. Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
    45. Airbourne - Runnin' Wild
    44. Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
    43. Devil Driver - The Last Kind Words
    42. Megadeath - United Abominations
    41. Gojira - From Mars to Sirus
    40. A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
    39. Down - II: A Bustle in Your Hedgerow
    38. Dream Theatre - Systematic Chaos
    37. Disturbed - The Sickness
    36. Children of Bodem - Are You Dead Yet? (Follow the Reaper is much better)
    35. In Flames - Come Clarity (Clayman is way better)
    34. Slayer - Christ Illusion
    33. Testament - The Formation of Damnation
    32. Opeth - Watershed
    31. Mastadon - Leviathan
    30. Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
    29. Velvet Revolver - Contaband
    28. Deftones - White Pony
    27. AC/DC - Black Ice
    26 Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution (I would've picked 'Nostradamus' over this)
    25. Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache
    24. Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao ('Grand Declaration of War' is much better)
    23. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
    22. Lacuna Coil - Comalies (This album is quite good but I thought that 'Unleashed Memories' was better)
    21. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
    20. Marilyn Manson - Hollywood (in the shadow of The Vally of Death)
    19. Bullet for My Valentine - The Poison
    18. Pantera - Reinventing The Steel
    17. Mastadon - Crack The Skye
    16. Korn - Untouchables
    15. Opeth - Blackwater Park
    14. Nightwish - Once ('Wishmaster' is way better)
    13. Trivium - Ascendancy
    12. Motorhead - Motorizer
    11. Iron Maiden - AMOLAD (I still think that 'Brave New World' is their best album of the 00s)
    10. Tool - Lateralus
    9. HIM - Dark Light
    8. Avenged Sevenfold - City of Evil
    7. Rammstein - Mutter
    6. Metallica - Death Magnetic
    5. Megadeth - Endgame (I thought this was quite dissapointing)
    4. Lamb of God - New American Idol
    3. Slipknot - Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses
    2. System of a Down - Toxicity
    1. Machine Head - The Blackening

Well there you go, thats what Metal Hammer chose as their best albums of the decade. The reason I'm very dissapointed with this list of albums is because they left out these amazing albums also from the 00s:

Iron Maiden - Brave New World
    Amorphis - Silent Waters
    Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
    Moonspell - Night Eternal
    Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
    Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
    Amorphis - Eclipse
    Sentenced - The Funeral Album
    Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
    To/Die/For - Epilogue
    Monster Magnet - Powertrip
    Day light Dies - No Reply
    Rotting Christ - Khronos
    Agalloch - The Mantle
    Dispatched - Motherwar
    Enslaved - Monumension/Vertebrae
    I - Between Two Worlds
    Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
    Borknager - Quintessence
    Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
    Green Carnation - A Blessing In Disguise
    Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell

I'm really shocked these outstanding albums were left out.:eek: It was typical of Metal Hammer to chose those albums, and I only really liked Dimmu Borgir, A Perfect Circle, Lacuna Coil and 'Blackwater Park' by Opeth from that list. So what are your opinions on this list?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ridiculous to take Metal Hammer's opinion on anything. It's a safe list, with enough popular mentions, and a few token extreme metal albums to keep some fans happy. Terrible boring selection, and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Ridiculous to take Metal Hammer's opinion on anything. It's a safe list, with enough popular mentions, and a few token extreme metal albums to keep some fans happy. Terrible boring selection, and it shows.

I agree with you there Karl.:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Toxicity at number 2? I lol'd

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tommy666

i like some albums in the list but seriously there is some crappy albums and bands in the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Agree also Karl. MH has turned into Kerrapp!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Terrorizer is still the only decent Rock/Metal related publication you'll get in shops. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

f*ckin A dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What is Cavalera Conspiracy doing on that list? I've made better quality music sitting on the john after a feed of beer and a large garlic and cheese chips.

I'd also have White Pony a lot higher than 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Typical Metal Hammer list. It really is no more than the Smash Hits of Rock/Metal mags, with Kerrang being a rock/metal version of something like Heat magazine.

Classic Rock or Terrorizer would be the only mags that I would regard as having any relevance, with the Classic Rock Prog spin off being pretty good and worth a punt when it is featuring bands I want to read about.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

I don't read the mag myself, and maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but.....

Songs for the Deaf!!!!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Why is lamb of gods album misnamed at number 4. It says new american idol....surely it should be new american gospel??

Terrible list, some decent mentions but the second i seen cavelera conspiracy ahead of anthems of rebellion i knew it wasn't going to be up to much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Why is lamb of gods album misnamed at number 4. It says new american idol....surely it should be new american gospel??

Terrible list, some decent mentions but the second i seen cavelera conspiracy ahead of anthems of rebellion i knew it wasn't going to be up to much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Malice_ wrote: »
    I'd also have White Pony a lot higher than 28.

Have to agree it is a fantastic album from start to finish.

Typical from metal hammer I think they must be getting handjobs from slipknot the amount of times they have been on the cover!!!

Classic Rock all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Utterly abysmal list, but then, it's only to be expected from the likes of Metal Hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Systematic Chaos? 6DOIT owned the pants off that.

tommy666 wrote: »
    i like some albums in the list but seriously there is some crappy albums and bands in the list

Very true. One of the reasons I don't like/hate this list in first place is because of bands like Cavalera Conspiracy, Converge, Nine Inch Nails, Airbourne, Gojira, Devil Driver, Down, Dream Theatre, Disturbed, Slipknot, Mastadon etc etc. I don't have any interest in any of those bands, and they are not my idea of what metal is to me.:mad:
    Terrorizer is still the only decent Rock/Metal related publication you'll get in shops. Fact.

Terrorizer is a fantastic mag. Unfortunately I think I missed the issue with the albums of the decade, or maybe it didn't come out over here:confused: Either way I'm sure it was/is way better than Metal Hammer's any day.:D
    Kess73 wrote: »

Classic Rock or Terrorizer would be the only mags that I would regard as having any relevance, with the Classic Rock Prog spin off being pretty good and worth a punt when it is featuring bands I want to read about.

The only thing I don't like about Classic rock is the fact that Dom Lawson writes for that mag, and I can't stand him.:mad::mad: Otherwise apart from him contaminating the pages, it's a really great mag.:D
    bazmaiden wrote: »
    Typical from metal hammer I think they must be getting handjobs from slipknot the amount of times they have been on the cover!!!

Classic Rock all the way

I can't stand Slipknot, they are a horrible band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Systematic Chaos? 6DOIT owned the pants off that.

Big Time love how they picked the worst Dream Theater album of the decade, 6DOIT, Octavarium, BC&SL, even Train of Thought would have been a way better choice

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

hahaha what a load of sh1t, looks like the editer of Kerrang is working for Hammer, whats with the lack of Scandinavian Bands!!!

Its Seems Metal Hammer just puts the Bands in that sell well or that are popular to sell more crappy mags, as said earlier the only Mag worth getting is Terrorizor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I dont know what the fuss is about.Metal Hammer has been on the slide for years so this type of list comes as no real surprise does it?

Anyway,there are quite a few cracking albums on there too.Its hardly the Jonas Brothers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

"Are You Dead Yet?"? Really?

I'd listen to some of the stuff on that, but on the whole, meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 metalmessiah88

New found power by damageplan?

i also though blood mountain by mastodon was better than crack the skye ..

Also wrath by lamb of god?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

terrible list tbf. Would you expect anything else from metal hammer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Bullet for my valentine?!
    Come on this list is pants.

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    hahaha what a load of sh1t, looks like the editer of Kerrang is working for Hammer, whats with the lack of Scandinavian Bands!!!

Its Seems Metal Hammer just puts the Bands in that sell well or that are popular to sell more crappy mags, as said earlier the only Mag worth getting is Terrorizor!

I agree also. I was shocked they didn't have any Immortal, Hypocrisy, I, Amorphis, To/Die/For, Katatonia or Arcturus. They also didn't have Primordal's 'The Gathering Wilderness or Within Temptation's 'Mother Earth' from 2000. It's just a shocking list, and it really makes me wonder does Metal Hammer have something against these bands.:confused::eek::mad:

All they cover nowadays are awful bands like Five Finger Death Punch, Slipknot, Airbourne, Avenged Sevenfold, HIM, Rammstien and other very trendy bands that have a more popular sound.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

All they cover nowadays are awful bands like Five Finger Death Punch, Slipknot, Airbourne, Avenged Sevenfold, HIM, Rammstien and other very trendy bands that have a more popular sound.:mad:
    Rammstein are not awful, I hope you don't mean that. Of those bands you just named, four of them have been around since the mid to late nineties. That's a long time to be trendy!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FearComplex

Metal Hammer has always been a joke, I could have sworn they were one of the few to rate St. Anger highly

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Metal Hammer has always been a joke, I could have sworn they were one of the few to rate St. Anger highly

Yeah, if memory serves, they gave it an 8 or 9 out of 10 'round the time it came out. Think they retracted it a few years later; methinks a few euros may have exchanged hands at the time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

AMOLAD over brave new world? No powertrip? Jaysus... Shameful

Malice_ wrote: »
    Rammstein are not awful, I hope you don't mean that. Of those bands you just named, four of them have been around since the mid to late nineties. That's a long time to be trendy!

I don't hate them, but lets just say I don't like them at all and I have no interest in that stlye of metal.

You are right, they did actually rate St. Anger very highly.:rolleyes: The only reason I bought the latest Metal Hammer is becuse of the Eddie sticker book, but it turned out to be a bit of a dissapointment.
    efla wrote: »
    AMOLAD over brave new world? No powertrip? Jaysus... Shameful

'Brave New World' is a way way better album than AMOLAD. I also agree that 'Powertrip' is another great album that should've been included.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't hate them, but lets just say I don't like them at all and I have no interest in that stlye of metal.
    Well I no interest in Death Metal but I wouldn't dismiss any bands on that premise, that's the wonderful thing about metal, it's so diverse

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement