Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subscriptions etc

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Boston wrote: »
    Nah, cause you're getting something in return.

If you make a donation to those people who have money shakers in shopping centres they usually offer you a sticker.

You don't have to take it or wear it though, same as a subscription and the "perks" that go along with it.

I was of the opinion that since Boards "went corporate" then subscriptions were no longer needed, I even started a thread about it either here, in helpdesk or in the Subscribers Forum, not sure where, and had some points clarified for me, and I am still a subscriber.

I probably won't renew this time though, it's up soon iirc, but that's down to me needing the fifty quid more than I think boards does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Des wrote: »
    If you make a donation to those people who have money shakers in shopping centres they usually offer you a sticker.

You don't have to take it or wear it though, same as a subscription and the "perks" that go along with it.

I was of the opinion that since Boards "went corporate" then subscriptions were no longer needed, I even started a thread about it either here, in helpdesk or in the Subscribers Forum, not sure where, and had some points clarified for me, and I am still a subscriber.

I probably won't renew this time though, it's up soon iirc, but that's down to me needing the fifty quid more than I think boards does.
    Why didnt you take the once off £13 euro sub

Why didnt you take the once off £13 euro sub

I have no idea what you are talking about:confused:

Are you saying that there was a facility for someone to pay just thirteen euro, and be a subscriber for ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

From reading the title and last line I think the subscription cost should be 2 cents too!!

Now to read the rest.
    snyper wrote: »
    Ive never subscribed to boards. I should and i may but tbh, 50 quid is a little on the harsh side for what it is. Yes, i could say i do get alot of enjoyment from the site and that there is alot of cost in running the site an perhaps i should contribute to it, but personally ive never been a fan of the subscription structure on this site.

My suggestion for what its worth, would be to get rid of the temp subscriptions .. ie monthly etc and have it as anually only.
    Change the levels of the subscription packages to perhaps - Gold, Silver and Bronze subscriptions with an anual term.

The 3 "packages" would contain different benefits, some that exist and some that perhaps could be offered, and the prices would be gradiated accordingly.

Bronze could cost as little as 10 euro - you would be a "Bronze subscriber" you would have very basic extras - perhaps a namechange ability and access to avatars

Silver -same as bronze but with most of the features that are available to full subscribers now but would cost 25 euro.

Gold Subscribers - These would cost as much 60 - 80 euro but perhaps there could be exclusive priviledges that could be created / made available to entice subscriptions.. i have a few in mind but dont want to suggest them openly yet

The reasons i suggest consideration of the restructure is because

a i would like to subscribe, merely to support the siteand perhaps have an avatar, but my 50 quid is abit much for an avatar, and if i did subscribe i would like to do so for a year.. im too lazy to do it every much, and not trust worthy enough to do it recurringly.

b I think personally it would create more revenue for the site, i know 50 euro isnt the largest subscription in the world for a site but its alot more than i paid before on other sites. I do think members want to support the site but for many people that would subscribe the fee is too much, alot of subscriptions would be from younger people in the late teens and again i think the 50 euro is a little out of their range.

^ ^ ^ ^
    2 cents

I have no idea what you are talking about:confused:

Are you saying that there was a facility for someone to pay just thirteen euro, and be a subscriber for ever?
    No des. Its a once off. for thirteen euro. then you get back to being an ordinary poster again with no privileges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'm not going to get into a semantics discussion about the meaning of donation.

As for boards.ie not needing subscriptions, the company boards.ie LTD made a loss last year.

As for boards.ie not needing subscriptions, the company boards.ie LTD made a loss last year.

that's as may be, but I had a job last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

How does that affect whether or not boards.ie LTD needs donations? Maybe you need it more, but that doesn't mean they don't still need it.

How does that affect whether or not boards.ie LTD needs donations?

It doesn't, but I was speaking from a personal perspective, that's all.

Sorry to hear about the job des. Any luck finding anything?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Long term subscribers don't have any 'real' perks apart from a custom avatar. That's hardly worth fifty lids in my book.

If you just want a name change then pick the minimum sub, get the change and job done - both sides benefit from the exchange.

Personally, I see it as a 'tip' as DeV said and don't really expect anything in return for it. :)

Steve wrote: »
    Long term subscibers don't have any 'real' perks apart fom a costom avatar. That's hardly worth fifty lids in my book.

If you just want a name change then pick the minimum sub, get the change and job done - both sides benefit from the exchange.

Personally, I see it as a 'tip' as DeV said and don't really expect anything in return for it. :)
    Can you change your name more than once?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

As long as your subscription is up-to-date then yes.

(I assume, though, that if someone requests a name change once a day or is otherwise silly about it then common sense would kick in and they'd be told politely where to go.. :))

Steve wrote: »
    As long as your subscription is up-to-date then yes.

(I assume, though, that if someone requests a name change once a day or is otherwise silly about it then common sense would kick in and they'd be told politely where to go.. :))
    Thinking of getting my old name back. I miss it ;)

Advertisement