Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2006 Santa Fe Clutch problem

• 15-02-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

I'm posting this in the regular motors section, as while some Santa fe's are 4X4, mine isn't. It's FWD only. It's a 2006, new model, Hyuandi Santa Fe 2.2 CRDI diesel.

Problem I have started a couple of days ago, when my wife was driving the car, and she said a noise came into it. When I went to her, I started it, and it was perfect. However today, out of the blue, on tickover, the noise made a comeback. It sounds like very loud gearbox chatter. It goes quieter when pressing the clutc, and gets noisy again when fully depressed. If I rev the car any bit, it goes out of it. It has only 80,000 km's covered, and it's out of warranty.

It drives perfectly, and when I turn it off, and restart it, it's fine, for a short while. Sounds like it's the pressure plate, but it's very small mileage for that sort of trouble. I don't ride the clutch, and it's the first time I've had to replace a clutch in any car I've had with mileage so low. Maybe the flywheel has come loose or something. I know the older models had their troubles with gearboxes and clutches, but is it common on these Santa-Fe's?

Anyone out there come accross this before in these Santa Fe's?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

These models seem to have a lot of problems with dual mass flywheels - if it is, it's gonna be expensive to replace.

Get to a main dealer or good independant to find out what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks for the reply Captain. I know the older versions had trouble with the dual mass flywheels, but is that the same on my one. I'm not sure, but I think all those models are 4X4, which would probably make them different to mine. Having said that, I hope whatever it is it won't be expensive.

There's no point putting the sh1t's into you until you get it checked out, but they are problematic with the newer santa fe's - I don't think the 2wd's are less susceptible to the fault but am not 100% certain.
    Best of luck!

but they are problematic with the newer santa fe's

Ahh. That's what I was wondering about. I was thinking this could be a common problem with them. Well then, time to get down and dirty. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ror101

sounds more like low oil in the box(low oil would generally produce a chattering thats goes away when clutch is pressed ,a dodgy flywheel or pressure plate would be more of a rattle)

• Advertisement

After driving it a bit more today, it's certinaly in the clutch/flywheel. I know what you mean ror101, but its not the gearbox now. The clutch pedal started to stick in the down position, and the noise came and went a couple of times. Gonna rip it tomorrow. It seems I'd be better off if it's the clutch, as a flywheel, if it it one of those dual mass flywheels, are much more expensive that a clutch.

just wondering is it a standard clutch or a dual mass flywheel one?

It's a dmf fitted standard to them all - not sure if you can buy an aftermarket solid flywheel.

it being dmf would explain things alright.

Yep, it's a dual mass flywheel alright. Whipped it out yeaterday, but can't see anything visibly wrong with it,the disc, or pressure plate. Having said that, it MUST be one of the three. And suspect number one is the flywheel. It's main dealer part only, retailing at €835 + VAT. OUCH! And there's no solid flywheel conversion kit.

I did find one here though, http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Hyundai_Santa%20Fe_2.2_2006/p/Car-Parts/Transmission/Clutch-and-Associated-Parts/Flywheels/?336850070&1&6d9b80b2c6807e75da147c63e59592aad708bd19&1&DMFW .
    Not sure if it's gonna be the correct one. Will ring them first, but doubt that the sales person will have a definitive answer. Theres so many variations on car parts that it could easily be for a different style model. However, the origonal part is a LUK.

On a side note, these Dual Mass Flywheels are a complete disaster, from reading posts ( including on boards ) , accross the net. I've worked as a mechanic in a previous life for more than 10 years, and have changed a standard flywheel maybe twice in those years. They never give trouble, unless the vedhicle has big mileage. Seems car manufacturers are regressing with development.

• Advertisement
Advertisement