Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L (IS) or Not

• 15-02-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice on getting a new 70-200 f/2.8 L

Is there any point in going for the IS version? Would be interested to hear from anyone who has one.

Also, where would be the best place to get one?

Cheapest price I have found so far,
    €1015.95 for the non IS version
    €1459.95 for the IS version.

Cheers,
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I have the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 with VR and glad I went for the VR version. Nice lens for some of the indoor church type work where a tripod could be awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have the IS one. I'd say I can count on one hand the number of times I've used the IS.

Then again, I'm mostly shooting sport so using high shutter speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

It depends on what you will be using it for I suppose. I have the IS version, very good for low light situations. It's very heavy though, wouldn't want to be handholding it for too long....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Get the IS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

@ Effects, why should I get the IS version?

I know it has better weather proofing which would be handy if I'm out and about.
    I mostly take pictures of my kids indoors & out and want the 70-200 for the extra reach. I'm not convinced I need the IS as I use flash or studio lights for the indoors stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

The question you need to ask is: "Do I need to be able to handhold this lens at slow shutter speeds?"

I'd say no 90% of the time I don't need to be able to hand hold at slow shutter speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Paulw wrote: »
    I have the IS one. I'd say I can count on one hand the number of times I've used the IS.

Then again, I'm mostly shooting sport so using high shutter speeds.

Is there any reason to turn off the IS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Just another example of where I used the VR was when I was indoors at a graduation ceremony in NUI Maynooth. I needed to use the lens at 200mm but wasn't allowed a tripod in the hall. IS or VR in my case is very important as I am lacking digits to hold the lens steady :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Awesome lens, (the IS version I have) ... but it depends on yourself....

what body do you have ?? if you have one that can deal with high ISO
    well and hence can shoot at fast speeds, maybe you don't need the IS ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

DK32 wrote: »
    @ Effects, why should I get the IS version?

I know it has better weather proofing which would be handy if I'm out and about.
    I mostly take pictures of my kids indoors & out and want the 70-200 for the extra reach. I'm not convinced I need the IS as I use flash or studio lights for the indoors stuff.
    At 200 it can be hard to avoid shake for a lot of shots. I love having the IS so I don't miss out on a lot of shots that might otherwise end up useless. I use this lens 95% of the time hand held.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Go for the IS, I use it all the time at events and Weddings. You can shoot as low as 1/30th and still get a nice clean shot with it.

Thanks Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I bought mine 2nd hand from ISS for €800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Is there any reason to turn off the IS?

Yes.

The IS slows down focus when on. It takes time for the lens to "settle", so if you're doing sport, the action will be quicker than the time it takes for the lens, and if you're moving the lens, it won't be able to focus lock.

If you read information on IS, they recommend to turn off IS if you're using a tripod, or using high shutter speeds and moving. You can use IS mode 2 for panning though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hi,

Looking for some advice on getting a new 70-200 f/2.8 L

Cheapest price I have found so far,
    €1015.95 for the non IS version
    €1459.95 for the IS version.

Thats a good price. Is that from a shop or a private sale? If I was spending that amount I think I would try get the IS version

Those prices are from Simply Electronics.
    I have never had any issues with them and have spent a small fortune on equipment from them over the last 10 months. I have heard of many nightmare stories, mostly around shipping / delivery times. The best approach to have when buying from them is to set yourself the expectation that 3 to 4 days shipping is probably going to be more like 10 to 15 days instead. If it's any longer than that, you get in touch with customer services and demand to know what's taking so long. No decent answer, get an immediate refund through your credit card company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Last month, Kerso of Flash Camera gave me a quote for 1,200 pound for the 2.8 IS.

Or you could go with the old way Amazon for 1,241 pound (Super Saver delivery) or 1,247 pound (normal delivery).

MartMax wrote: »
    Last month, Kerso of Flash Camera gave me a quote for 1,200 pound for the 2.8 IS.

Or you could go with the old way Amazon for 1,241 pound (Super Saver delivery) or 1,247 pound (normal delivery).

LOL at the Amazon listing. "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

LOL at the Amazon listing. "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months" :D

Lol. Didn't notice that. It's like waiting at the production end of line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement