Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match thread - boards cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

how is this for the winner of the worst cup

http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/12/94/08/96/crap_c10.jpg

I like that!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

eoferrall wrote: »
    I like that!!:D

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Perfect!, a steamin pile of shite:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I'd lend a hand designing the yokes... but since I'm due one at this stage I'm afraid the Almost There Trophy for season 7 maybe awesomo beyond belief!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Blendage

I think with the new energy changes, I will be staying out of boards cup next year and friendlies in general.
    Also losing in the friendlies can affect your member's contentment level which loses you money in attendance.

Overall it is a big negative towards smaller teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Blendage wrote: »
    I think with the new energy changes, I will be staying out of boards cup next year and friendlies in general.
    Also losing in the friendlies can affect your member's contentment level which loses you money in attendance.

Then your missing out on 16 games worth of IGT. Obviously its up to each manager what intensity he wants to play at but i play all friendlies, boards cup or not, WNWIM. Just rotate your squad so players that need a rest get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I think there might a case to be made for starting the boards cup later next season, when most teams are out of the cup. It is difficult to compete on two fronts and play semi-competitive friendlies with less than 30 players. That said, I do like the steps that are being taken to reward strength in depth - i think it adds realism and makes squad management more challenging.

As to contentment, I'd argue that unless the fans are storming the club offices, the benefits of in game training outweighs any loss in ticket sales. After all, even if you lose every single friendly, the IGT seems to be worth about as much as L2 team training which costs a lot more.

That said, friendlies shouldn't count toward contentment - if they do, then optimal strategy is to create a second team to act as friendly whipping boys for one's main account.

While I wouldn't recommend abandoning friendlies altogether, I do agree that having the option not to play a friendly in a week that already has two tough matches would give one a little more flexibility.

I'm not sure about this. Player salaries constitute a bigger percentage of the weekly spend for bigger teams. I think if anything, the injury/energy changes have had a bigger 'negative' impact on the big money teams.

I would also say that in game training is a useful equaliser. While the richer team's players will improve faster on Tuesdays due to better facilities/staff, teams all improve at the same rate (proportionally) on Mondays.

I'm nearly at the point now where I can field two completely different teams with one or two overlaps, so I'm hoping this gives me an edge when I'm back up in Div3.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I'm nearly at the point now where I can field two completely different teams with one or two overlaps, so I'm hoping this gives me an edge when I'm back up in Div3.
    That's the goal for me too. Awfully hard to find the players for certain positions though.

The most unskilled frontrow candidate seems to cost 200k+ at the moment (I have none in the academy).

I've been scouting for a twelve and a fullback for three weeks, and there hasn't been a single player on the market with the right attributes for either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Is anyone having difficulty building up a second defense? I have my main defense at an impressive level and decided to start building up a second defense and have been using it in the friendlies. The issue is that it keeps going reset back to non-existant after my league match. Therefore, I am not getting anywhere with it.

Is this occurring because I have been using my main defense in Cup and League matches? I figured once a week with the secondary defense would be sufficient. Any insight or comments from your experiences is appreciated.

Eire
    Killarney RFC

Eireannach wrote: »
    Is anyone having difficulty building up a second defense? I have my main defense at an impressive level and decided to start building up a second defense and have been using it in the friendlies. The issue is that it keeps going reset back to non-existant after my league match. Therefore, I am not getting anywhere with it.

Is this occurring because I have been using my main defense in Cup and League matches? I figured once a week with the secondary defense would be sufficient. Any insight or comments from your experiences is appreciated.

Eire
    Killarney RFC
    Yes, it's because you're only playing once at diff defense then one or two at old level. The consensus seems to be 3 matches in a row to get your defense level up to a decent level, so pick when you have 3 matches in a row you're fairly sure you'll win or dont mind losing to get it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think the IGT still makes it worthwhile, even if i have to play some salary savers in odd positions to rest my frontliners!! the boards cup is completly WNWIM for me anyway.

That said, there isn't as much of a use for salary savers with the new energy levels so am slowly firing mine for more useful players.

Be interesting to see how my squad goes once my cup run ends....

Eoferrall, thanks for info on defence. Annoying I didn't know that a week or two ago when I played 4 bots in a row!!ah well.

That's the goal for me too. Awfully hard to find the players for certain positions though.

The most unskilled frontrow candidate seems to cost 200k+ at the moment (I have none in the academy).

I've been scouting for a twelve and a fullback for three weeks, and there hasn't been a single player on the market with the right attributes for either.

Dave we're like freaky polar opposites, I've got way too many props and about 4 fullbacks! Trying to train some of the fullbacks into more of a SH role and as for my props, bah, I've two sets of starters and then some other lads that may or may not be converted into hookers. I'm selling my current 2nd string hooker at the moment as I figure I only really need 1 hooker for cup matches and by the end of the season I'll have a prop converted to the task (cue a big beefy front row of pain)

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Dave we're like freaky polar opposites, I've got way too many props and about 4 fullbacks! Trying to train some of the fullbacks into more of a SH role and as for my props, bah, I've two sets of starters and then some other lads that may or may not be converted into hookers. I'm selling my current 2nd string hooker at the moment as I figure I only really need 1 hooker for cup matches and by the end of the season I'll have a prop converted to the task (cue a big beefy front row of pain)
    Could you parcel up a few and post them to me?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Dave, I have a fullback that I will be selling over the next week or so if you are interested. His speed is a little bit behind his other skills but he fits in well at 15.

Here he is.

15. Hugh "Coffin" Naylor

20 years old | 22,342 CSR | 174 cm | 94 kg | New Zealand

Left handed, left footed, in reputable form, and fit energy levels.
    A collected player with flawless discipline, admirable leadership, and despicable experience.

Stamina: Reputable Handling: Reputable
    Attack: Admirable Defense: Reputable

Technique: Moderate Strength: Moderate
    Jumping: Moderate Speed: Average
    Agility: Decent Kicking: Admirable

Let me know if you think he would fit your team and we can line things up.

JP

jprender wrote: »
    Dave, I have a fullback that I will be selling over the next week or so if you are interested. His speed is a little bit behind his other skills but he fits in well at 15.

Here he is.

15. Hugh "Coffin" Naylor

20 years old | 22,342 CSR | 174 cm | 94 kg | New Zealand

Left handed, left footed, in reputable form, and fit energy levels.
    A collected player with flawless discipline, admirable leadership, and despicable experience.

Stamina: Reputable Handling: Reputable
    Attack: Admirable Defense: Reputable

Technique: Moderate Strength: Moderate
    Jumping: Moderate Speed: Average
    Agility: Decent Kicking: Admirable

Let me know if you think he would fit your team and we can line things up.

JP
    Afraid he's a little short for my liking. I know, i'm awfully fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Blendage

I'm not sure about this. Player salaries constitute a bigger percentage of the weekly spend for bigger teams. I think if anything, the injury/energy changes have had a bigger 'negative' impact on the big money teams.

I would also say that in game training is a useful equaliser. While the richer team's players will improve faster on Tuesdays due to better facilities/staff, teams all improve at the same rate (proportionally) on Mondays.

Well my point on being negative towards the smaller/ most recently registered is this.
    The longer established team will have a deeper squad and a higher average CSR including much better stamina across the board.

Having higher average CSR allows them to play at a lower intensity to win and also use second string players which might be equal or greater than the smaller teams first team.

This reduces the wear and tear on the bigger team by using lower intensity, having higher Stamina and not using first team players to achieve the same in game training and at a better rate if using lower intensity( for that reason it is not linear).

In relation to the Contentment level.
    The week before the start of the cup I had two wins at normal intensity, the members Contentment Level was at charmed, which resulted in near full capacity stadium (7,000) and also taking in about 12 members that week.

Then I played one cup game at LTNT with full first team (I wanted to win it!) and lost, the opponents were good!
    The Members Contentment Level went to content and I pulled in 500 less fans for the league match and only took on 2 members the next week. Thats a big hit for one friendly game when the outcome was pretty much predetermined.
    I would sooner if that hit was an option to me.

Rankings
    The bigger teams by playing smaller teams can easily achieve higher rankings and contentment by playing smaller teams and these types of cups benefit them.

Regards the relationship between bigger wages and injury/energy changes.

As said above, I don't think the bigger teams play there first 15 in friendlies and don't have to.
    Also because they can play at a lower intensity the injury/energy changes are at a lower rate than the smaller teams.
    This risk is not really there for the bigger team, if they do get a player injured in a friendly it is most lightly a reserve player.

-Blendage... Bitter he didn't register earlier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 finbar_omahony

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet
    I bought a couple of REALLY rubbish players, just couldnt afford to get anyway decent ones.
    The missus was forced to buy a guy who was 7K csr due to money issues, its crazy out there if you want a 17 yo player

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet
    I bought a couple of REALLY rubbish players, just couldnt afford to get anyway decent ones.
    The missus was forced to buy a guy who was 7K csr due to money issues, its crazy out there if you want a 17 yo player

A decent player is extortionatly expensive at the moment. I just got outbid for a 10,000 CSR player, 19y/o, alright stats (mainly 7s, 8s. strength and jumping ~4/5). I dropped out at 30k. He went for 85k in the end!

I'm holding on to my money and hoping I get better value when people have run out of cup money etc!

• Advertisement

From commentary......"Solan looks back and taunts Everyone Likes A Tryer, holding the ball out towards them in one hand! The ball's come loose and bounced forwards. Incredible!! Well, I guess there was more than an element of 'just desserts' there!"

What an idiot!

From commentary......"Solan looks back and taunts Everyone Likes A Tryer, holding the ball out towards them in one hand! The ball's come loose and bounced forwards. Incredible!! Well, I guess there was more than an element of 'just desserts' there!"

What an idiot!
    Only one thing for it, you have to sack him.

0-0 with dreamer_ire after 30 mins. Tis tense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Only one thing for it, you have to sack him.

0-0 with dreamer_ire after 30 mins. Tis tense!

Can't believe you've had two tries ruled out. Have a totally new back row tonight, Baffa looks ok but not sure on the others yet. My sub hooker is also now on as fullback so pepper away lol

I was quite confused with the commentary until I realised that one of my young lads has had his first outing as SH... no idea how that happened, but he seems to be holding it together albeit shakily.

"Ooh! I think that hit the hot dog seller, there's a bit of scrabble for any loose items going on in that section of the stand!" - classic.

Annoying. Won 30-7 but only got 3 tries. Last play of the game had a penalty on their 22 and kicked at goal! :mad::mad:

Won 62 - 14. Nice.

What an idiot!

Threw out a largely reserve team at WNWIM... and got spanked!:D

Congrats Jonny - just reviewing the game now to see were exactly my team was most brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

crisco10 wrote: »
    Annoying. Won 30-7 but only got 3 tries. Last play of the game had a penalty on their 22 and kicked at goal! :mad::mad:

Really not happy with how my players played. 8 played worse than expected:rolleyes:

eoferrall wrote: »
    Threw out a largely reserve team at WNWIM... and got spanked!:D

Congrats Jonny - just reviewing the game now to see were exactly my team was most brutal!

thought the match was bit odd alright judging by your previous results which were lot stronger. your team just dropped the ball or had knock ons at the wrong times. your scrum creaked a bit too but your line out was alright stealing a few of my throw ins.

• Advertisement

thought the match was bit odd alright judging by your previous results which were lot stronger. your team just dropped the ball or had knock ons at the wrong times. your scrum creaked a bit too but your line out was alright stealing a few of my throw ins.

Ye the scrum would make sense (my props where fairly lightweight players!), resting normal props for cup and league as I am a bit light on decent front rowers, few backs were out of form - but this was their chance to stake a starting spot and dropped balls do not cut it!:p

Still in the slow process of overhauling squad via academy - got decent 20 players but behind that theres a bit of a drop in quality unfortunately.

Advertisement