Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asics or New Balance

Options
  • 15-02-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

I have had both of these brands in past two years and found asics one more durable. I am not a serious runner but am getting back into some recreational running again (gradually as shins flare up easily) and i am looking at elverys.ie and see New Balance 1061 and Asics gel flashfire are on special and available in my size(12) , which is more durable , i run on grass mostly meaning the trainers get wet and dirty and are washed every few weeks in washing machine . The New Balancee pair i have now fell apart once i put them in washing machine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I have a pair of 1061's that I've just retired after 600miles - found them great and bought another pair in Elvery's recently, never put them in the washing machine tho :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I found NB brilliant for shin splints when the Asics killed me.

A few of my mates had the same problem.

In the washing machine!!!!!! BAD idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Adidas!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Washing machine......Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Forget bout dirty runners, just stuff them with paper to keep shape when they get wet. The dirt is like a war wound :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

Have a pair of NB 758. High mileage and still going strong. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

+1 for new balance, have had 767 and 768 and they have lasted very well

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

don't like new balance personally, asics or mizuno. and as above, no washing machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Forget about 'brands'. Get a gait analysis done in a good running shop and take their advice. In Dublin, Runways in Parnell St. and Amphibian King in Bray will sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mizuno FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

+1 for the gait analysis but eventually you will have to pick one brand over another. Have had NB and Asics over the last couple of years, think they're both good shoes and it's a matter of preference really. I'm with Asics now as I found that the NB 1062 had a very hard insole that I never really broke in and was consistently wearing against 1 part of my foot. A small thing but the decider in my case...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Mizuno FTW.
    Found them great for about 6 weeks and then went 'flat' very quickly, but I'm a 'big boy' so I tend to be very tough on runners.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

gerard65 wrote: »
    Forget about 'brands'. Get a gait analysis done in a good running shop and take their advice. In Dublin, Runways in Parnell St. and Amphibian King in Bray will sort you out.

Gait analysis & insoles didn't sort my issue, changing from Asics to NB did so brands do make the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Used Asics Nimbus (after being recommended them in Arnotts) all of last year, did DCM in them, had sore shins and knees but nothing too major. Then got gait analysis done in Runways at Christmas and discovered they were the wrong shoes for me (overpronator). Switched to New Balance 769 (stability shoes) and they're going well. In Runways, tried the NB and the equivalent Asics, and the Asics just didn't feel as good. Just got another pair of NB for alternate days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

racheljev wrote: »
    Switched to New Balance 769 (stability shoes) and they're going well.

Just received a pair in the post this morning as well as a pair of Kayanos. Have never tried the 769s but they should suit me and am hoping to alternate both pairs during my current marathon program. Still have a couple of 100 miles left in my current Kayanos

yop wrote: »
    Gait analysis & insoles didn't sort my issue, changing from Asics to NB did so brands do make the difference.
    The result of a gait analysis should be to tell you what kind of gait you have and what type of shoes would be best suited to you. Brand isn't a differentiator, as each brand has different types of shoe for different kinds of gait. Sure, one particular brand might suit you better, but there is no brand that is better than any other brand. There is only the most suitable shoe for a particular runner. As the running shoes get updated, they might become more or less suitable to an individual.

You can't say that 'Mizuno' is the best, or New Balance, or [insert brand here], you can only find the most suitable pair for your own needs.
    (except Mizuno, which is the best).

The result of a gait analysis should be to tell you what kind of gait you have and what type of shoes would be best suited to you. Brand isn't a differentiator, as each brand has different types of shoe for different kinds of gait. Sure, one particular brand might suit you better, but there is no brand that is better than any other brand. There is only the most suitable shoe for a particular runner. As the running shoes get updated, they might become more or less suitable to an individual.

You can't say that 'Mizuno' is the best, or New Balance, or [insert brand here], you can only find the most suitable pair for your own needs.
    (except Mizuno, which is the best).

Fair snuff but from my experiences and that of another 4 or 5 lads who changed to NB from shin issues, the shin issues disappeared. :P

But as you said everyone to their own.. except mizuno which are for closet clowns :D

But as you said everyone to their own.. except mizuno which are for closet clowns :D
    I beg your pardon. I find this remark insulting. I'm an open clown. :P

+ 1 for rotation, I'm a firm believer in swaping between brands and models, so that in theory you are always landing slightly differently, this year so far I've been in 5 different brands and 6 different models.
    Adidas Response Cushion
    Adidas Response Control
    Brooks ST4
    NB768
    Nike Elite
    Rebook Premier Lite

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    + 1 for rotation, I'm a firm believer in swaping between brands and models, so that in theory you are always landing slightly differently, this year so far I've been in 5 different brands and 6 different models.
    Adidas Response Cushion
    Adidas Response Control
    Brooks ST4
    NB768
    Nike Elite
    Rebook Premier Lite

Thats interesting, do u find much difference in doing that? Whats the "nearest" shoe you find similar to the NB?

Thats interesting, do u find much difference in doing that? Whats the "nearest" shoe you find similar to the NB?

I was a frequent shin splints sufferer and Kayano investor before when someone told to consider alternating, I'm a happy camper ever since.
    Now I purchase based on fit and comfort and normally in the Neutral/Cushion - Mild/Support band. I find I tend to alternate based on the run I'm doing:
    NB768's for long runs, additional support for when I get tired and the form starts to drift;
    Adidas cushion on the track, light and springy;
    NB106X (have a new pair I need to break in) for medium runs on the road;
    Nike Elite for medium runs on the grass (waffle sole);
    Adidas Control on the treadie as it's springy enough

NB768 felts quite similar to the Nike Elite 4, but found it took about 50 miles to break in the Nikes.
    NB1061 maybe a bit like a pair of Pegasus I had before or 1140's

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for that detail. Very interesting detail there about track and long and short road runs.

I must invest in another pair as I have about 300km's up on the NB's so maybe a pair of Adidas response cushion.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

racheljev wrote: »
    Switched to New Balance 769 (stability shoes) and they're going well. In Runways, tried the NB and the equivalent Asics, and the Asics just didn't feel as good. Just got another pair of NB for alternate days.

I had the same problem. The Asics were just plain uncomfortable. The 769 were a lovely fit. I've since got a pair of Kayano 16s which are like walking on air. I alternate both - tend to use the Asics when running at lunch time in town and the NB when running at home off road. I'm only jogging a few weeks so don't take any advice from me - it's just my 2c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

I have tried NB's twice and I am currently training for the Newry marathon. I have used Asics 2130 and 2140's without bother - went to NB's in the January sales at Elvereys and I have lost my big toe nail and one other has gone black - I find them too tight although I always take a standard 9. I bought some Asic Flashfire and I am switching to them 2moro. I still have another pair of NB's in the box unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

I did my 5 Mile training run 2 minutes quicker today without the NB's on my feet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

I have a pair of Asis Gel Flashfire and they are aggravating my shin splints.

I will definitely go for gait analysis on Monday.

My question is this - what would anyone here suggest as a replacement for the offending article? My stamina is no problem, but I do want to increase my mileage (before the problem started I was taking it handy with around 20 miles a week)?

Any suggestion or advice is greatly accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mrsoundie wrote: »
    I have a pair of Asis Gel Flashfire and they are aggravating my shin splints.

I will definitely go for gait analysis on Monday.

My question is this - what would anyone here suggest as a replacement for the offending article? My stamina is no problem, but I do want to increase my mileage (before the problem started I was taking it handy with around 20 miles a week)?

Any suggestion or advice is greatly accepted.

Better off with a new thread, rather than an old zombie thread.

Flashfire is a very basic ASICS shoe, well suited to getting started with low mileage. As you say yourself, you are increasing the mileage and the shins are flaring up.

Analysis should show up any fundamental issues and a selection of shoes tried our before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Better off with a new thread, rather than an old zombie thread.

Flashfire is a very basic ASICS shoe, well suited to getting started with low mileage. As you say yourself, you are increasing the mileage and the shins are flaring up.

Analysis should show up any fundamental issues and a selection of shoes tried our before making a decision.

Thanks for the reply, I did not want to start a new thread with this already existing.

Put on the Flashfire for walking around and it hurts, changed to a pair of Blackhawk 4 and the pair has dropped off.

Its really been annoying not to run, been scared of doing damage to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Mizuno. I've used a dishwasher to clean mine. Unbeknownst to my prettier other half.

Advertisement