Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

nice idea les ferdinand, i would like to see JP get a shot at TV, the guys, just like ant and dec really are a double act which is why ray never made it in tv yet, i would love to see them get something on tv3

why does nobody like seacrest? i know its a syndicated radio show probably broaadcast a few days late but at that time of the evening all i really want is to listen to some music and get some goss from hollywood

i wouldnt be mad on lousie duffy, i think she is still very very green for that slot and would be more suited to a late night music slot, i cant understand how she made it up so quickly, i think today fm will loose a lot of core listeners there, KC would have kept a lot of foleys old listenership but i can see that vanishing now

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

jezzer wrote: »
    nice idea les ferdinand, i would like to see JP get a shot at TV, the guys, just like ant and dec really are a double act which is why ray never made it in tv yet, i would love to see them get something on tv3

Yeah I think Raymond Foley III and John Paul Gilbourne have the chemistry to make it on TV. Some cheesy quiz show on a Sat night would suit them perfectly.
    However maybe John Paul wouldn't like the attention that would come with presenting a tv show.

no true, he seems more than happy to stay on the sideline and act as fall guy to ray, if he did go on tv it would bring a whole load of attention on him which by the sounds of things he wouldnt want, i think he loves anonimity, pity though as i think he is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So this edel lynch thing is a thing then ? And it appears that she can sing in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That phil PA thing was superb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Didn't hear Edele Lynch today, but I think it's an alright feature and she seems to get on well with the lads.

Did anyone see Ray's tweet the other day to the person asking him to come back to Today FM now that KC's gone? He replied no and that Today FM "wasn't their cup of radio any more". I wonder does that mean he wouldn't consider going back at all or just not to lunchtime/anything other than breakfast?

I wouldn't be surprised that when Breakfast Republic on 2FM eventually gets dropped, that Ray and JP could be invited over to Montrose instead of back to Marconi House...

i'd say you could be right seren, it seems that they have somehow grown out of today fm, but i suspect they are the long term successor to ian dempsey, 98 have done a serious revamp and now is a good station but the fact that they are regional, i just cant see that being enough for an ambitious career person like foley (he tries to portray the opposite)
    In regard to 2fm, it would catapult foley right into mainstream and would throw up tv opportunities but 2fm is something of a sinking ship no matter what they do with it, would it do them any good going there? however on the flip side of that, it would put the guys in with the big money earners where i am guessing thats where they want to be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

i'd say you could be right seren, it seems that they have somehow grown out of today fm, but i suspect they are the long term successor to ian dempsey, 98 have done a serious revamp and now is a good station but the fact that they are regional, i just cant see that being enough for an ambitious career person like foley (he tries to portray the opposite)
    In regard to 2fm, it would catapult foley right into mainstream and would throw up tv opportunities but 2fm is something of a sinking ship no matter what they do with it, would it do them any good going there? however on the flip side of that, it would put the guys in with the big money earners where i am guessing thats where they want to be

It would also be the return of abuse on this thread if he went national..... Which foley loves anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Is a 7am to 10am slot on Dublin's 98fm really that much better career wise than a national slot at lunch on Today FM?

People are saying he's going to be Dempsey's successor, they're probably right. Ian is in his early 50's and gets good ratings so he won't be going nowhere for a good while.

I'm Foley and JP's biggest fans but I still maintain that moving to 98fm was a bad move career wise.

hooohraaah, in terms of going to 98fm, yes you are probably right but i think the reasons they did it are, one, they were offered better money, two, it allows them to prove themselves in that slot as they had lunchtime cornered a long time ago, plus the fact that 98 was being revamped it gave them plenty of exposure, so short term its a good move but long term they will be back on national in a couple of years i imagine, why do they get abuse nationally? both of them are from outside dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Seren_ wrote: »
    Didn't hear Edele Lynch today, but I think it's an alright feature and she seems to get on well with the lads.

Did anyone see Ray's tweet the other day to the person asking him to come back to Today FM now that KC's gone? He replied no and that Today FM "wasn't their cup of radio any more". I wonder does that mean he wouldn't consider going back at all or just not to lunchtime/anything other than breakfast?

I wouldn't be surprised that when Breakfast Republic on 2FM eventually gets dropped, that Ray and JP could be invited over to Montrose instead of back to Marconi House...

I wouldn't read too deeply into anything on Twitter tbh. Let's face it, if you'd tweeted him in 2010 and asked him if he'd go to 98, you'd probably have gotten a similar response. :P

On 2FM, imagine if that were to transpire... Kate would probably be reading the news on his show. :pac:
    HooohRaaah wrote: »
    Is a 7am to 10am slot on Dublin's 98fm really that much better career wise than a national slot at lunch on Today FM?

People are saying he's going to be Dempsey's successor, they're probably right. Ian is in his early 50's and gets good ratings so he won't be going nowhere for a good while.

I'm Foley and JP's biggest fans but I still maintain that moving to 98fm was a bad move career wise.

I don't think it was a bad move at all.

Ray has said numerous times since leaving that (and IIRC this is a direct quote from a podcast) they were "terminally bored" on lunchtimes. I get the impression that, while they enjoyed working on Today FM and being on the national airwaves, they felt like they were in a bit of a rut. Foley also said something to the effect of "We could have stayed there for another 10 years doing the same stuff.", but getting a chance to do something new was what they wanted.

So now they can hone their skills on breakfast which is, IMO, where they'll stay for the foreseeable future (be it 98, Today FM or 2FM). Add to that the fact that Foley has a young child and can now spend more time with him during the day and I personally think t'was a good move.

I guess the truck full of unmarked euros that was backed up to his front door probably helped too. :pac:

Ah I know, twitter is twitter. But no harm in working up a bit of an oul conspiracy at the same time :P

I also think it was a good move going to 98. Showed that they're not scared to try something new and different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Was in Dublin yesterday and Monday, Ray's face is all over buses and billboards! I didn't see any for D&D or Dublin Talks though!

On a similar note... I won a smug mug two Fridays ago but never had time to collect it while I was in Dublin, raging I was... but if any of the regulars on this thread are local and never won one, PM me and I'll give you my name if you want to call in and collect it for yourself! :)

they did an extensive campaign on D&D for a number of months a while back, would they not post down your smug mug? be a shame not to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

they did an extensive campaign on D&D for a number of months a while back, would they not post down your smug mug? be a shame not to get it

No, 98 don't post anything! Tis a shame alright, collecting it was on my to-do list while we were there but just hadn't got the time!

I'll just have to try win one again next time I'm in the area, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'd love a mug Hulk. I tried to PM you but you have it deactivated

ray and jp very funny this morning doing phone calls from niall horan, keen egan and brezzey i couldnt stop laughing....going to a function...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

Raymond Foley III and John Paul Gilbourne truly are the Kings of Radio.

I must have seen 10 buses yesterday with the show's ad on them.

Love when the lads have been working in the "sound lab"! Needs to happen more often :D

Thanks to The Incredible Hulk, I'm now the proud owner of a Smug Mug . My life is complete :pac:

301618.jpg

• Advertisement

Good sized mug too. Nothing worse that a fiddly little mug that holds feck all tea

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

My housemate stole mine :(

nice mug

My housemate stole mine :(

Are they still your housemate? Can't you just steal it back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Synode wrote: »
    Are they still your housemate? Can't you just steal it back

He is. It's in his room and has been there for the last 3 days :(

He's tainted it with coffee as well :mad:

Steal something belonging to him. His wallet or something

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

They were talking for a while about making a first song suggestions spotify playlist.. I don't think they ever did.

I made on here :http://open.spotify.com/user/emilslattery/playlist/1QvF0xTTCNBQcI56owZJgw

It has most of the suggestions from this week.. I'll keep adding to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

elmoslats wrote: »
    They were talking for a while about making a first song suggestions spotify playlist.. I don't think they ever did.

I made on here :http://open.spotify.com/user/emilslattery/playlist/1QvF0xTTCNBQcI56owZJgw

It has most of the suggestions from this week.. I'll keep adding to it.

Savage idea. :)

As someone who's never seen GoT, I found today's discussion highly amusing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Eh Yeah OK has never been good since Ray and JP changed station. At that time of the morning most of the callers are (a) tired and/or (b) busy going to work, so they slip up almost straight away and it's no craic at all. The jingle they play to introduce Eh Yeah OK is nearly longer than the game itself. New material, lads, please.

• Advertisement

yes, i too have no interest in ah ye ok any more, its like a chore every morning, apart from that the show is really coming into its own, this morning was brilliant with abba and the lads having the banter over it, cant say i like deanos attitude even if she is a fine thing, who cant like a bit of abba in the morning?
    also they should do more phone calls from celebs, cian egan this morning, very funny!

Advertisement