Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just something for the foley show anoraks!

http://baddatesandscorestories.wordpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Bit of background on that link Fresh Pots? I missed out on the lunchtime show years, so only a Blast-era/breakfast show anorak :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Seren_ wrote: »
    Bit of background on that link Fresh Pots? I missed out on the lunchtime show years, so only a Blast-era/breakfast show anorak :P

Its from a couple of years back, Ann set up the blog and she just asked people to email in their stories. I think they read out a few on air but I can't remember for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's a fast paced S Club 7 quiz!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Phil: "Was that not Laurence Fishburne?"

:pac::pac::pac:

Cracked me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

Didn't Foley say earlier in the week he was going to change the free money minute? Did he do that?

elmoslats wrote: »
    Didn't Foley say earlier in the week he was going to change the free money minute? Did he do that?

Don't think so. Id say its because they were getting so many 9 out of 10s in the quiz.

Any news on how the lads did in the latest JNLR numbers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Any news on how the lads did in the latest JNLR numbers ?

The shows average quater hour figures are down year on year. Don't know about the shows overall figures.

The cost of the show must be relatively high (salaries, suppor team and advertising), the return on investment must be very poor.

• Advertisement

Up a few thousand listeners according to ray. Nice wan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

loved the show yesterday with the phone call from silo green and love/hate in the zoo!! so funny, they should do more of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Don't think so. Id say its because they were getting so many 9 out of 10s in the quiz.

Felt very sorry for your man the other day who got the first question wrong - What sea lies to the East of Ireland. He blurted out the Atlantic. He then went on and answered 9 questions correctly and some of them were tough. I'd say he's kicking himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

A quiz with loads of 9 out of 10s is perfect for a feature like that. That's exactly what you want: easy enough that it winds people up and they want to enter themselves, but difficult enough that having a winner is actually a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

I just thought it was weird. I think on Tuesday morning he said he was going to do something different with the quiz that day, but then he never did.

So the listenership figures are improving, but quite slowly, and the figures are still miles behind FM104. Adrian & Jeremy's move is likely to add a few extra listeners, but that won't be seen until late this year/early next year. If figures are still not improving rapidly at that stage, do you think the lads will stay on? Or even still be there? I really wouldn't be surprised if they were offered the 2FM breakfast when Breakfast Republic is eventually put out of it's misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Seren_ wrote: »
    I really wouldn't be surprised if they were offered the 2FM breakfast when Breakfast Republic is eventually put out of it's misery.

After all the slagging Foley has given 2FM, I'd doubt it. But wonders never cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Well ye will all be happy to know that I have retrieved my Smug Mug from my housemate :D

stannis wrote: »
    After all the slagging Foley has given 2FM, I'd doubt it. But wonders never cease.
    He's slagged most radio stations though. Including other Communicorp ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I think Ray will stay where he is until Ian Dempsey is done. He is still young so is in no rush. He can afford to wait another few years before worrying about moving back to National radio. The more practice he gets now, the better.

• Advertisement

Lads on holidays? :(

i heard through the grapevine that 2fm are looking at the possibility of bringing in foley as a longterm replacement for the late gerry ryan, when you think about it, it makes sense. i wouldnt pass much remarks on the fact that he slags them off, foley slags everyone and everything off in fairness...if the money is good enough foley wont turn it down
    2fm are trying to decide what to do with tubbers as he is a is a bit of a liability when it comes to radio, they will have to dump him somewhere but he seems to have a lot of clout there so only he will decide where he goes...

pity they are on hols this week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

jezzer wrote: »
    i heard through the grapevine that 2fm are looking at the possibility of bringing in foley as a longterm replacement for the late gerry ryan, when you think about it, it makes sense. i wouldnt pass much remarks on the fact that he slags them off, foley slags everyone and everything off in fairness...if the money is good enough foley wont turn it down
    2fm are trying to decide what to do with tubbers as he is a is a bit of a liability when it comes to radio, they will have to dump him somewhere but he seems to have a lot of clout there so only he will decide where he goes...

According to Claire Solan they are back tomorrow. They just took a shnakey extra long weekend.

According to Claire Solan they are back tomorrow. They just took a shnakey extra long weekend.

Ah good stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Well ye will all be happy to know that I have retrieved my Smug Mug from my housemate :D

I've become very attached to mine. If anyone in the office tries to touch it they're dead

2FM are where promising radio careers go to die, look at how instantly the entire country turned on their new breakfast crew despite them all being popular beforehand. The lads would be mad to try their luck there when they have a good thing going in Communicorp.

that is very true indeed, however look at the money gerry ryan was making and how popular he was, i think if foley was offered 400k per year he would take it regardless

I love the show, and they'd probably be worth it if I was signing off the cheques, but I couldn't see them being offered that kinda money. Maybe when they were at their peak on Today FM it'd be conceivable but not while they're going the slow and steady route to rebuilding 98. They just don't have the proven chops and RTE don't have the balls to make that kind of educated gamble.

I reckon they went to 98 to show they could do mornings while waiting for Dempsey to retire and that'd probably still be the plan. Everyone has their price of course, but I don't see 2FM offering them the crazy money to risk moving away from a much more attainable goal. Remember, if they went to 2FM and failed it might scare off Today FM should they come calling down the line. Why take the risk when a Today FM morning show, and the bonuses it'd bring with it (look how well Mario has done from Gift Grub), would leave them set for life?

very true, and i fully agree that the lads see themselves as the long term successor to ian dempsey, foley and jp have moved around a bit at this stage and as they get older i could see them looking for a permanent slot with a big wage and ian dempseys slot would fulfill that, however, dempsey is only in his 50's and could have another 10/15 years left in him so what do the lads do until then? whilst i'm sure they will stay with 98 for 3/5 years i'm sure they are really itching to get back on the national stage, one thing is for sure though, foley and jp will stick togeather

• Advertisement

very true, and i fully agree that the lads see themselves as the long term successor to ian dempsey, foley and jp have moved around a bit at this stage and as they get older i could see them looking for a permanent slot with a big wage and ian dempseys slot would fulfill that, however, dempsey is only in his 50's and could have another 10/15 years left in him so what do the lads do until then? whilst i'm sure they will stay with 98 for 3/5 years i'm sure they are really itching to get back on the national stage, one thing is for sure though, foley and jp will stick togeather

Dempsey has been successful in the slot for so long that it sounds foolish to doubt him, but there has to be a day when the Larry Gogan effect starts to kick in as he gets older, plus how long does he want to be getting up at 4am as he nears retirement? In a few years I can see him getting moved into a friendlier slot (afternoons/weekends) or calling it a day.

That's not a comment on him at all as he's a model of consistency in his slot and someone everyone in Irish radio should look up to, he's pretty much done exactly what anyone in radio would like to in keeping a large national audience so steady for so long. Only Darcy and Gerry Ryan can compare in recent times.

Advertisement