Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

There's a video on the Ray Foley Show twitter account that shows the crowd.

Here it is!

http://t.co/S9JM9OMugt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Listening to the podcast now, playing fecking Last Christmas by Wham :P Just a bit early.

Muireann is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Listening to the podcast now, playing fecking Last Christmas by Wham :P Just a bit early.

Muireann is good too.

Is muireann oconnell on the morning show? She was good on phanton

Yeah she was just on this morning talking about viral videos etc. She does the 7-9pm show on 98 as well, but have only listened once or twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

JPs Vodafone ad! Genius!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

yes it would be interesting to know how many tickets they sold...

the sound lab this morning!!!! well fair play JP, it was the funniest thing i heard in a long time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just heard the JP bit for the giving it socks from the sound lab this morning. It was really good. Talented gentleman is JP.

JP is very very funny in his own right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Pony or Phoney was great (as usual!) Ray and Deeno want it to be more of a regular feature but I agree with JP that it's just suited to whenever there is a major race week on!

Spies, the band that covered U2 there... yikes, the singers voice didn't suit that cover at all imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Loved JP's soundlab... "You're no son of mine!" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Dreadful interview by Foley with Ed Sheeran, which wasn't lost on Ed, who said Spin's Ryan and Tracy were better prepared. Foley seemed not to know Ed was going on a world tour., also didn't know when his previous album was released. Ray just stuttering and stammering and so awkward all the way through.

reg114 wrote: »
    Dreadful interview by Foley with Ed Sheeran, which wasn't lost on Ed, who said Spin's Ryan and Tracy were better prepared. Foley seemed not to know Ed was going on a world tour., also didn't know when his previous album was released. Ray just stuttering and stammering and so awkward all the way through.

Thought it was funny myself! I thought Ed was joking, but maybe not, Ray did stutter a bit towards the end. Enjoyed it though, especially when JP said 'Can you please stop mentioning the other radio stations!'

He's on Louise Duffy later aswell.

ah ray is a desperate interviewer even worse than tubbers, he always seems to get flustered, thats the reason he will never get prime time in either radio or tv, rays strengths are acting the fool and taking the mick out of himself, nothing serious but it can be disappointing when he has a good guest on and he fluffs it every time, listen back to his interviews this week with ryan sheridan and that lad from aslan who sounds like he is in a panto and you will see the pattern...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Thought they started badly but it got better. He played on the whole British/Irish thing too much. Calling him a 'Brit Licker', wtf. It's not one he'll remember fondly me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Ah I'm just disappointed, I like Ed Sheeran and felt the whole interview was a shambles. How many years is Foley on the radio and he still can't ask a few simple questions of a world famous artist whose songs he plays everyday? Total and utter lack of preparation pure and simple.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The one thing I would have said of Ray's interviews is that he seems to get a bit star-struck when he has someone he admires in. I haven't heard the Ed Sheerin interview but given his status, I'd say Ray may just have been a little bit thrown by the weight of the interview.

It's not an excuse but an explanation. It's just not his strong suit but that said, at least he tends not to insult his guests, unlike many others in our mainstream meeja.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

On the other side of that, his interview with Billy McGuinness was brilliant. I chuckled when he called him an "odious little man" :pac:

I always find that Ray is always more comfortable when he interviews someone he actually likes. You can tell when he has had an interview put on him I think.

This morning he went for the jokey-relaxed interview vibe and maybe it came off wrong? I enjoyed it though, but agree that he probably should have known about the tour and when the previous album was released.

I think he's far from a desperate interviewer in fairness.

Didn't hear the interview (sadly, as I love Ed Sheeran), but from previous listening I feel Ray really isn't a great interviewer. He seems to get a bit flustered and that then leads to an uncomfortable interview. It's a skill that would be good for him to work on. But then again, I don't listen to the show for Ray's interviewing skills, so I don't mind the odd awkward interview.

Really hope the listenership figures have increased. From looking at the graphs on the ilevel blog, there's been a decent increase from this time last year, but the show needs to be increasing listenership constantly at this stage. It's a great show with lots of creativity and they deserve to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ray just said they are up 5,000 listeners. Good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

JP doing the La La La La Long Weekend thing and being told to shut up was class :D

The one thing I would have said of Ray's interviews is that he seems to get a bit star-struck when he has someone he admires in. I haven't heard the Ed Sheerin interview but given his status, I'd say Ray may just have been a little bit thrown by the weight of the interview.

It's not an excuse but an explanation. It's just not his strong suit but that said, at least he tends not to insult his guests, unlike many others in our mainstream meeja.

Yes I would fully agree, Ray sounds very star struck when interviewing big names which is odd given he is 20 years in media

"JP doing the La La La La Long Weekend thing and being told to shut up was class" didnt hear that, was it a dig at that mairead farrell one?

I think Billy McGuinness comes across as some sort of panto actor, he is always going on about how great aslan are and the "dubs" support they have, give it a rest man, yes you are a decent band, very underachieving for certain reasons and you have, shall we say, a certain following but we dont need to hear it every time you get interviewed, its very amateurish

as posted above, yes i definitely think, for rays career, he should try and brush up on his interviewing skills, he reminds me so much of the late gerry ryan, the cheeky way of going on, not afraid to have a dig at his employers and colleagues and his love of food, but he wouldnt hold a candle to gerry in terms of interviewing, ryan was a fantastic interviewer and if ray could master that he could really go places, as it stands, its a serious weakness for him, he comes across as star struck, ill prepared, nervous, foolish, unable to communicate, like a guy on student radio not a radio veteran.

On a positive note, well done to the guys for the 5k extra listeners, its a bit of fun in the morning and we should not discount the value of JP to the show with the likes of dj jayo and the sound lab etc, in fact i think they should use him more.

The ed sheerin interview was played again today? i missed the start, why was this?

Phil was on Today FM there doing the news. :)

Congrats to the lads on the listener increase.

I enjoyed the McGuinness interview, thought it was fun and loved the discussion on Eurosong.

The Ed Sheeran interview wasn't as bad as I was expecting have read the posts. There were moments when it was awkward (Ray not knowing he had a tour coming, the very start when they were mock insulting him and Ed didn't really seem to be comfortable with it, and it sort of trailed off at the end) but overall I thought it was passable. Not great by any stretch, but definitely not as awful as the posts above suggest IMO.

No mix in Friday's podcast. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Interviews aren't for everyone, you have to have a certain personality type to excel so to be fair I don't think it's something you can just 'brush up on'. I'd say from hearing how self-reflective he is he knows they're not his strongpoint. If they don't feel fully comfortable doing it with people they don't know they should start doing a gimmick for interviews with stars.

Btw 98, if you rob this idea too you officially have to start paying me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ray just said they are up 5,000 listeners. Good stuff.

In part by fudging their timeslot in the survey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

On the subject of the interviews, I wouldnt be a regular listener and would usually just grab the podcast if I can but whats with the awful pre-recorded intrerviews being dropped in. "Blah Blah Blah, so XYZ is in studio" clunky intro "so XYZ is here" . I mean it's a small thing but it sounds so poor when you hear it happen, not sure if it sounds like that during the show or if its just the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

MYOB wrote: »
    In part by fudging their timeslot in the survey

Please explain..

• Advertisement

elmoslats wrote: »
    Please explain..

They're calculating listeners based on 7-10 now if I'm reading the JNLR thread correctly. Previously they were basing it on 6-10.

Advertisement