Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

buster180 wrote: »
    He was busy today :):D

http://telly.com/1N417O5

Do you have to use the app to play it ? I can't seem to get it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Do you have to use the app to play it ? I can't seem to get it to work.

No idea it works on my PC fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

buster180 wrote: »
    He was busy today :):D

http://telly.com/1N417O5
    Who the hell uses this telly platform to share a video? Why didn't he put it on bebo altogether.
    And when I'd Foley get so rotund?

Lads back Monday. Good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Foley nominated for 2 PPI awards, Entertainment Inserts & Music Presenter of the Year. No nomination for the Breakfast Show award though.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/shortlist-for-the-2014-irish-radio-awards-has-been-released-640984.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Really surprised they didn't get a nomination for Breakfast Show Award! What more can they do??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Really surprised they didn't get a nomination for Breakfast Show Award! What more can they do??

There is a chance that 98 never nominated them in the first place. Each entry has to be put in (and paid for) by the station in question. Obviously not all entries make it to the shortlist then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It'll be odd to see Dermot and Dave winning something under 98FM seeing they don't work there anymore then, especially when 98FM paid for them to be included.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

iseegirls wrote: »
    It'll be odd to see Dermot and Dave winning something under 98FM seeing they don't work there anymore then, especially when 98FM paid for them to be included.
    There is a separate thread here for discussing the PPI awards more generally. This thread is just for discussing Foley et al.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »

They haven't won anything yet though they've only been nominated.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    They haven't won anything yet though they've only been nominated.
    Moderator: Take it to the PPI or Dermot and Dave thread. No more discussion of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Oh god the guy with the stammer on the quiz was so cringe!

This thread was on the third page! Noticed it's been a lot less active recently.

I really miss Phil from the show. I think he's left a huge gap. Hope they start involving the new guy more, because stuff like 7 Days just isn't as good with less people to bounce off :/

And has anyone noticed that Deeno isn't being involved as much? Like half the time after the news now (as in the news on the half hour, cause I know she never contributes after news on the hour), she is introduced, but doesn't end up getting to say anything cause Ray & JP end up going on some tangent or doing a competition etc. After 6:30 is same as ever, but others less so.

I hope the show isn't going into a bit of a slump :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Seven Days has lost a bit of pizazz I think. It seems very rushed to me, they fire through the questions and there is very little craic with the contestants anymore.

I'm not sure what they could do, but the show feels very flat Mon-Thurs once Seven Days is finished too. Could do with a feature last thing on a Tues and Thurs maybe to break it up. Feedback or a Gauntlet type-thing maybe. Announce the challenge on a Tuesday, come back with the results then on Thursday. I just feel like the show is over once Seven Days is finished, anyone else feel the same? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I think since Phil left Seven Days hasn't been the same, they used to be able to have a bit more craic in it with the competition between Phil and Deeno. Wish they was more chatting and ****e talking between them. I also miss the new jingles they had gotten before Phil left and it doesn't look like the new sports guy is going to be included.

I'd love to see a return for the gauntlet or feedback. I love the "SoundLab" bits but they don't do enough of them, would love it to be weekly. The best ones they had were the Adrian and Jeremy ones where Ray and JP both did them. Or Ray's random songs like "The Tasty Food Song", always used to love their parody's.

The NFL or FML quiz was hilarious last week tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Have to say, I think the show is in a bit of a slump right now too. Find myself listening to it out of habit more than anything else these days. There are waaaaaaaaayyyy too many quizzes and contests for a start, which seems like the easy but not most entertaining option. I've felt that for a while but they kept it interesting: Ah, Yeah, Okay is a Foley staple, I like the dynamics and stakes of the 'Free Money Minute' and 7 days was fun with Phil. But now it sounds a bit auto-pilot and needs a freshening.

I like the lads and will keep listening as I know they're pretty much better than anything else on Irish radio (for me) at their peak, but they need a small shaking up to start reaching for that peak again imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

They should totally do that 30 Seconds game all the time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

Could it be that Foley hates this show?? He sounds uninterested.He's trapped in a format that wont allow him to do what he wants.

'Kids crap - Reasons to be cheerful - Text shout outs'?? Are these awful items really what Foley is about? Painting by 98 numbers.

He made some pathetic & nasty comments about Dermot and Dave recently and how their show had failed.This is a reflection of his own
    unhappiness and how he realises that going to 98 has brought him nothing.

I'd partly agree with your last point there tbh.

But I dunno, I still think the show is fun. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I still enjoy the show but I only ever get about an hour a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Was he talking about d&d at 98 or at today?

What he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

The 30 seconds game is brilliant and would be a great feature to do Foley V a listener, like Foley's Friday Face-Off!

I doubt Foley hates his own show, they were forced to do some feature like the Kids bit because its a breakfast show and thats the audience, someone wrote in to the NTN Podcast, the podcast only stuff they are doing now, asking "how obligatory is the f*****g obligatory kids bit" and they both had a knowing chuckle at that.

I wouldn't say he hates his own show either. I wonder did he think he'd have more freedom on a local station and has found it hard to come by. You'd wonder how much of the show is forced on him. And I would say he that he does make things like the Kids bit funny most of the time. If I had Ray & JP at my radio station I'd just let them loose for 95% of the show, they're that good imo.

I did find the Dermot & Dave slagging really disappointing tbh though. It was on his NTN Podcast. He slagged them on one podcast and iirc Al told him to reign it in a bit and Ray said afterwards he felt bad about it and then on the next podcast he slagged them worse than he ever did! He said that (back in the day) D&D were known as a byword for bad radio and when they were on TodayFM if they had a bad show they would joke that they had pulled a Dermot & Dave. He said he was finally letting go of the protectiveness he held over the lunchtime slot now that the 2 boys were taking the slot as TodayFM wasn't the same station anymore. He also said on this weeks podcast that Dermot & Dave were basically 'doing' Ray & JP for the last couple of years.

I know we all thought (or hoped) that Ray would come back to TodayFM sooner rather than later, but can't see it happening anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

leggo wrote: »
    Have to say, I think the show is in a bit of a slump right now too. Find myself listening to it out of habit more than anything else these days. There are waaaaaaaaayyyy too many quizzes and contests for a start, which seems like the easy but not most entertaining option. I've felt that for a while but they kept it interesting: Ah, Yeah, Okay is a Foley staple, I like the dynamics and stakes of the 'Free Money Minute' and 7 days was fun with Phil. But now it sounds a bit auto-pilot and needs a freshening.

I like the lads and will keep listening as I know they're pretty much better than anything else on Irish radio (for me) at their peak, but they need a small shaking up to start reaching for that peak again imo.

I only get the podcast but I presume they don't edit out links, so I have to agree about the quizzes. I do enjoy Ah, Yeh, OK but people are getting too good at it. It's been mentioned before but I'd love to see Feedback make a return.
    Could it be that Foley hates this show?? He sounds uninterested.He's trapped in a format that wont allow him to do what he wants.

'Kids crap - Reasons to be cheerful - Text shout outs'?? Are these awful items really what Foley is about? Painting by 98 numbers.

I don't think he hates it but it's definitely not the show he wants to be doing. I remember listening the very first episode way back when and thinking "I can't believe he's doing this?", the papers, gossip boys, text-ins. It was so formatted in comparison to the natural feel of the Today FM show, on which he'd mentioned numerous times how much he hated text-ins and preferred to take listeners calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Brendão wrote: »
    I did find the Dermot & Dave slagging really disappointing tbh though. It was on his NTN Podcast. He slagged them on one podcast and iirc Al told him to reign it in a bit and Ray said afterwards he felt bad about it and then on the next podcast he slagged them worse than he ever did! He said that (back in the day) D&D were known as a byword for bad radio and when they were on TodayFM if they had a bad show they would joke that they had pulled a Dermot & Dave. He said he was finally letting go of the protectiveness he held over the lunchtime slot now that the 2 boys were taking the slot as TodayFM wasn't the same station anymore. He also said on this weeks podcast that Dermot & Dave were basically 'doing' Ray & JP for the last couple of years.

Hate that stuff too. Whether you like them or not, once a pair like them have found an audience you can only come across as petty and spiteful for criticising them so heavily. If D&D are so inferior then why care?

It sounds a bit contradictory, but I liked Foley when he used to take digs at other DJs. You have to pick your battles though. The Republic of Telly are a great example of doing this the right and wrong way in the same show: they rightly slag cheesy RTÉ TV shows, but then take the piss out of, and patronise, normal members of the public who've done nothing to deserve it but willingly partake in voxpop segments that RoT have asked them to ("oh look, we've paid hundreds of euro to send a crew to Comic Con...where we'll now mock people who've gone to Comic Con despite us clearly making more of an effort to be there than them. That makes us...cool?").

When done right it can be edgy, when done wrong it can be mean and spiteful. Foley is/was great when he used to be aiming up at everyone else, but when he aims down he can sound like an arsehole with a superiority complex (and I don't think that's the case tbh, he just mightn't have someone that he listens to pointing all of this out to him). Not to mention the fact that he should sack the agent or advisor who's telling him to take on cheesy TV gigs that make him become the exact same as people he used to mock. You can't be one thing, then slag people for doing the same. They should never be doing live link-ups with Ireland AM, they should be slagging other DJs who do so. Or, if they feel that the latter route is one they want to go (which they shouldn't imo...they're just following a long line of people less talented than them in doing so), they need to have the self-awareness to realise that and not try come back then slag people who do so later.

leggo wrote: »
    When done right it can be edgy, when done wrong it can be mean and spiteful. Foley is/was great when he used to be aiming up at everyone else, but when he aims down he can sound like an arsehole with a superiority complex (and I don't think that's the case tbh, he just mightn't have someone that he listens to pointing all of this out to him)

Nail on the head there.

Brilliant summation there leggo.

However, I personally think it's fine when he does it on the NTN podcast. That's clearly his personal opinion, and I'd hate for him to stifle that tbh. Realistically, people who listen to that are "the converted". We like Foley, we want to hear him talk sh*te with JP and Al.

But the sly digs at other DJs and radio stations on air have always bothered me. Like, if it's every now and again making a little joke, then fair enough, but sometimes it just comes across as nastiness (he used to slag Colm Hayes a lot on Today FM for example). It sounds really bad and, tbh, if I weren't a fan of Foley, it's that sort of stuff that would turn me away.

The bit yesterday taking a pop at stations going to the Ploughing was a bit much, especially when one of those stations who are supposedly "flailing for listeners" is NewsTalk, who were one of the major winners in the latest JNLRs.

There are times when I just wish he'd focus on doing the great radio he's well capable of doing instead of slagging others' ability.

At the end of the day, Ray is the one who made the decision to move to 98 and if he is unhappy with his decision he needs to do something about it - either look for new work, or just try and get more motivated to do a good job with the show he has. A breakfast show on local commercial radio was always going to have lots of constraints re features/competitions that have to be done.

I haven't listened to the NTN podcast, but being so nasty about former colleagues in public is never a good idea, especially as I imagine radio in Ireland is a field where everyone knows everyone and it could have a possible knock-on effect on your future career prospects.

It sounds like he is just going through the motions at the minute. I still enjoy the show and the lads and will keep listening and supporting them, but I would love if it just could go back to being as good as it was at the start of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The bit yesterday taking a pop at stations going to the Ploughing was a bit much, especially when one of those stations who are supposedly "flailing for listeners" is NewsTalk, who were one of the major winners in the latest JNLRs.

I think his main target there was probably Today FM who have a show there every day, D'Arcy has lost listeners and so has the lunchtime slot.

Advertisement