Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've noticed a load of new posters advertising the show on phone boxes, bus stops etc the last week. Seems a bit silly to be heavily advertising a show that's not on at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

*checks watch*. Tsk tsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

An hour and a half power cut this morning to 98FM and Spin 1038 and the emergency tape in action and no talk.

Your man on the quiz cheating then saying f**k :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Synode wrote: »
    Your man on the quiz cheating then saying f**k :pac:

Wouldn't surprise me if JP didn't answer one of the questions correctly so that he wouldn't win. Hate people Googling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The lads are up listeners. Ray said 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Up 12 listeners? :P

I haven't listened to the show (either live or podcast) in a good few weeks at this stage (not including their weeks off), which is a shame seeing as I listened nearly every day for about 18 months. How is it at the minute?

I think at this stage we have to say that this hasn't worked out for 98/Ray et al. The show is 2 years old, so well bedded in, and it just isn't taking listeners from elsewhere in the numbers expected.

Will Ray stick around much longer do you think? I could see him going next year at some stage if things don't improve drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭chilloutrelax

They have had very little impact in Dublin, clearly not a fit. I think not being a Dub doesn't help tbh. I think this was predicable as they had a very low listenership in Dublin when on Today FM.
    Business decisions will need to be made...Very little return on investment, from their salaries, all the background support and the extensive promotion of the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

They have had very little impact in Dublin, clearly not a fit. I think not being a Dub doesn't help tbh. I think this was predicable as they had a very low listenership in Dublin when on Today FM.
    Business decisions will need to be made...Very little return on investment, from their salaries, all the background support and the extensive promotion of the show!

Repeat that in English please???

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Here you go, the ladybird version below:
    They (Ray Foley and JP etc) have had very little impact in Dublin (listenership levels), (they are) clearly not a fit (in the Dublin radio market). I think (Ray) not being a Dub (from Dublin) doesn't help tbh (to be honest). I think this was predicable (their low listenership on 98fm) as they had a very low listenership in Dublin when on Today FM (they were much stronger outside of Dublin)
    Business decisions will need to be made...(to keep them or made big changes to their format) Very little return on investment, from their salaries, all the background support and the extensive promotion of the show!(98fm have spent a huge amount of money on them and are not getting the results that would be expected from such a big investment)

• Advertisement

Well none of the team are from Dublin. Ray(Mayo),JP(Louth), and Deeno(Kildare) so you know its not just Ray being from outside dublin that would be a problem. Well even in the today fm days most of their audience was from outside dublin.

Up 12 listeners? :P

I haven't listened to the show (either live or podcast) in a good few weeks at this stage (not including their weeks off), which is a shame seeing as I listened nearly every day for about 18 months. How is it at the minute?

I think at this stage we have to say that this hasn't worked out for 98/Ray et al. The show is 2 years old, so well bedded in, and it just isn't taking listeners from elsewhere in the numbers expected.

Will Ray stick around much longer do you think? I could see him going next year at some stage if things don't improve drastically.

Yeah but if he does leave where does he go ? I think him and JP would be a huge improvement on the current 2fm breakfast show.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah but if he does leave where does he go ? I think him and JP would be a huge improvement on the current 2fm breakfast show.

It would be so weird if Foley moved to 2FM after all the slagging he's given them. :pac:

But imagine Ray and JP with Ray's wife as the newsreader? The first few months of shows are practically content full already. :pac:

TBH the show probably needs a bit of a shake up. Maybe it's just because I've been listening since The Blast, but Eh, Yeah, OK is sort of outliving its welcome IMO. A few solid new features would be nice, maybe even make a feature of trying to find a feature? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    They would, and I think they have more chance of being successful there than at 98. 2FM is a sinking ship atm, but I really think they could claw back some listenership. Also RTE would be the only other place that would be able to afford Ray & JP together outside Communicorp. And unless there's going to be serious changes at Today FM in the next year or so, I don't know where else they could go within Communicorp.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

They would, and I think they have more chance of being successful there than at 98. 2FM is a sinking ship atm, but I really think they could claw back some listenership. Also RTE would be the only other place that would be able to afford Ray & JP together outside Communicorp. And unless there's going to be serious changes at Today FM in the next year or so, I don't know where else they could go within Communicorp.

What would be the logic in 2fm taking on Foley and co? Surely if they can't resurrect 98fm after 2 years there, they would hardly have a Lazarus effect on the corpse that is 2fm? Personally I can't see why Foley hasn't worked on 98 but you gotta think his options are running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'd say Communicorp will keep him around (as long as he's happy to) for whenever Dempsey moves on. If he's gaining listeners, even slowly, they can justify it. But, to be fair to people saying it hasn't worked, there was no way they were ever going to come in and overhaul 104 within a few books. It'd take years, good quality radio and a bit of luck (like something just catching fire and getting everybody talking) for that to happen.

reg114 wrote: »
    What would be the logic in 2fm taking on Foley and co? Surely if they can't resurrect 98fm after 2 years there, they would hardly have a Lazarus effect on the corpse that is 2fm? Personally I can't see why Foley hasn't worked on 98 but you gotta think his options are running out.

The logic would be that Foley's figures were stronger outside of Dublin when he was on Today FM.

I tend to have a fair few conversations with people about radio who aren't really "into" radio if you get my meaning. Pretty much everyone I speak to around here says the same thing, "I miss Ray Foley at lunchtimes. Those guys were funny."

Now whether or not that would translate into people actively switching to 2FM were they switch, well who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

There's lots of reasons The Ray Foley Show isn't catching the Strawberry Alarm Clock. Firstly it's named The Ray Foley Show. That needs to be changed. It's needs a brand and purpose fit to the 98fm image. The title doesn't sound anything like a show that belongs on a breakfast show on 98fm. Go back in history and find 104 and 98 tit for tat in the ratings as far back as Pat Elaine and the morning crew. It was replaced with The Dawn Patrol and so on and so forth. 98fm have to decide is it the Ray Foley show or The 98fm Breakfast show?
    They are in a totally different league as presenters to that rubbish on RTE 2fm.
    By the way I'm a big fan of Ray and JP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I used to listen to 98 every day while going to work. Liked the show tbh. JP can be a bit annoying, with him basically mirroring what Ray says but trying to say it with more humour. Added to that he sounds almost identical to him.

I've switched jobs now and listen to the radio all day. Today fm just has a better balance all day.

Also for 98 and Ray it's not great for their credibility to be related to Dixon and Kennedy. The two biggest "lets say something controversial" people on radio. And then losing Dermot and Dave and Phil too!

JP's weather report at around 8:15 was bloody hilarious.

"You can expect it to clear up around June..."

(Actually listening to the whole show live for once, and it's a really nice change from the podcasts)

• Advertisement

It a shame it starts so early

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

Ray and JP are going to the cinema today to review a film for the show..
    Is eoghan gone?

He was there last week. On holidays?

Two years ago today they started on 98fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Haven't been listening too regularly the last few weeks, but the naked breakfast thing sounds like a great thing, would love to see it live, fair play to the lads.

They were doing a funny comp today where they said a noise and the contestant had to make the noise of it. Think it's on for the week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭peteroregan

Synode wrote: »
    They were doing a funny comp today where they said a noise and the contestant had to make the noise of it. Think it's on for the week

Is that not Dermot and Dave's but it are you being sarcastic?

Ha you're right. All the shows are merging into one for me

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The logic would be that Foley's figures were stronger outside of Dublin when he was on Today FM.

I tend to have a fair few conversations with people about radio who aren't really "into" radio if you get my meaning. Pretty much everyone I speak to around here says the same thing, "I miss Ray Foley at lunchtimes. Those guys were funny."

Now whether or not that would translate into people actively switching to 2FM were they switch, well who knows?

Ahh the logic is, he was on after Ray D'arcy

He took the piss out of D'arcy and was generally nasty to the show that handed him 250K on plate. I liked Foley on Spin & Today, this 98 thing is just wallpaper. I flick from 98 to 104 all the time, 104 just kill breakfast, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

He took the piss out of D'arcy and was generally nasty to the show that handed him 250K on plate. I liked Foley on Spin & Today, this 98 thing is just wallpaper. I flick from 98 to 104 all the time, 104 just kill breakfast, end of.

Really? I'm not easily impressed by people just replacing content by doing funny voices. Jim-Jim tries really, REALLY hard to be funny and likeable these days (is his standup career done yeah?) whereas 'Nobby' plays it all aloof like he's too cool to be there (snip). They have a couple of decent pranks and Paudgie is always entertaining, but that's about it.

Foley and JP at half-pace destroy them in terms of quality, for me. Dublin is just very habitual in terms of its listening habits. Even when there was just two randomers hosting the Strawberry Alarm Clock, people kept listening because they had got used to doing so when Colm & Jim were there.

Advertisement