Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Brendão wrote: »
    He's only a kid, so it makes sense to me that they'd mine it for comedy to keep bringing him back and hearing him fail. Who sounded fed up of the whole thing this morning, Ray or the kid?

The kid did. Or maybe he was just tired. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

So the kid eventually got the €100. Although he did say "Eh" :PAC:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Darcy is leaving Today FM. Hmmmmmmm..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Bring back Foley...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

leggo wrote: »
    Darcy is leaving Today FM. Hmmmmmmm..........................

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Would Today FM not want to stick to the same format though? No way in hell that Ray could carry a show like that (as much as I think he's great). I'm going to go for Paul McLoone and Alison Curtis to get Darcy's slot and Ed Smith to take over Paul McLoone's current show.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭smallfridge

What about Sean Moncrieff to take over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

What about Sean Moncrieff to take over?
    Can't see it happening. Who would Newstalk replace him with? Unless they bring Tom Dunne back from the dead.

The way it's sounding they're committed to Alison Curtis. I like her as a jock, same with Paul McLoone, but man that just seems a massive step too far for them to retain that audience on a long-term basis. So while I wouldn't be surprised if they went all-in with that line-up for now, there'll need to be a shake-up within a year (look what happened with Louise Duffy).

Ian Dempsey revealed he's signed on for three more years and I think it was obvious the way Foley left that the 98 gig was a temporary deal. His last song was 'We'll Be Coming Back' sure. If Dempsey's job isn't up for grabs and they need a proven name in Darcy's slot, they can tinker with the format (Foley's loose Today FM one wasn't a million miles off anyway in terms of format - it was essentially replace cookery bits with lads just having the craic). It's the name that brings in listeners, not the format.

I'd be polishing up on interview skills right now if I was Foley anyway, he may need to get very good at them, very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Well they said they will be launching "a new show in 2015" so I think Curtis getting the gig is temporary! It will be interesting to see what happens because when Mooney left RTE there were some rumours Dempsey would replace him. What could happen long term is that maybe Dempsey moves to Darcy's slot which they make 10-12 and Foley having honed his breakfast show skills on 98 comes back to take over breakfast on TodayFM from 7-10. Don't see him leaving 98 yet though!

• Advertisement

Oooh, that'd really be down to whether or not Ian hates the breakfast shift as I don't see Today FM fixing something that's not broken for the sake of accommodating Foley. And if he didn't like it then I'd say he'd have been successfully poached somewhere long before now. As for 98, I doubt Communicorp would've planned to drop Foley this early into their tenure there, but then again I doubt they anticipated losing Darcy so sometimes needs dictate. They can pull the plug and, given that the show has gained listeners, spin it so it doesn't look like a failure. Dempsey, Foley and D&D is a strong lineup that could work for them for years, just like Dempsey, Darcy and Foley did beforehand. The only stumbling block is that it does leave 98 in a tough spot at breakfast, which is why I'd say they'll try a new plan like Curtis/McLoone and then move if that starts to falter.

Obviously it would be down to Dempsey but I think Foley eventually succeeding him was the plan with him going to 98! Whether it happens now or 3 years down the line. It could also turn out that Dempsey wants to do a different type of show and with someone like him moving into Darcy's slot I think it would guarantee listenership retention because they would be familiar with him on before Darcy! Foley always had good listenership on TodayFM and I think up against 2FM's breakfast show he would steal quite a bit of their already poor market share and if he can bring some of the 49,000 or so listeners he has at the minute in Dublin with him to TodayFM then he would be pretty well set up to dominate.

Like I said I think it could be another 2 years before we see him move on from 98FM because I think the station and the project that is 98FM is finally looking solid and starting to gain traction!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

IT was to hear Ray wish Ray well. That was nice.

Oh wait it didn't last long.

Right there we go. I know they weren't friends. Listen to the podcast he addresses it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I wont be able to listen. What did he say?

Synode wrote: »
    I wont be able to listen. What did he say?

He said he respects what he has done and that they got on at the start a bit but it was darcys inability to take a joke that seemed to be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The only problem with Foley taking D'Arcy's slot is that he would have to link directly into D&D and we all know how he feels about them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He said he respects what he has done and that they got on at the start a bit but it was darcys inability to take a joke that seemed to be the problem.

so darcy must be a bit of an ass off air as well

No way will Foley be taking over Darcy's slot. He's too polarising

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The only problem with Foley taking D'Arcy's slot is that he would have to link directly into D&D and we all know how he feels about them.

Haha, you're problem joking, but that's nothing. They don't even have to directly hand over. Sure he did it for Darcy for years and also worked on 98 with D&D.
    Synode wrote: »
    No way will Foley be taking over Darcy's slot. He's too polarising

I would've said the same about him a few years back but he seems to have mellowed and matured (or at least learned to tone it down on-air) on 98. I don't think he's been the better for it in terms of quality - what first drew me to Foley was the biting comments and the cynicism about generic Irish radio that I shared myself - but it definitely helps his cause when jobs like this come up.

I'm also a big believer that you don't retain a large audience by picking a 'safe' option that'll just consolidate the listeners you already had. Look how that worked out when Tubridy replaced Gerry Ryan. You pick someone who is going to attract their own listeners in, and if they turn older listeners off then so be it, as long as they replace them by turning newer listeners onto the station over the long haul. You might suffer for a JNLR book or two but if it means you'll still be doing the job in 10 years with a large audience, that's worth the gamble.

9-12 is a chat show slot with lots of interviews. Foley's a poor interviewer (although so was Darcy at times) and a chat show just wouldn't suit him imo

Why are people tied to that idea, though? Just because it has been that way doesn't mean it always has to be. Again, Tubridy's struggles on 2FM are a perfect example of how it's not a good idea to shoehorn someone safe and reliable into another person's slot and expect them to do the exact same job as their predecessor. Tubridy did quite well when he was doing his own style of show both on 2FM at breakfast and on Radio 1. He started to struggle once he was asked to be Gerry Ryan. Today FM would be fools if they didn't take a lesson from that and expected someone to come in and be Ray Darcy. Why did they pay him so much if his style was so easily replicated?

The format should suit the host, not the other way around. They need someone who'll bring listeners in and keep them (as Foley did with Today FM in a worse slot). That's the only objective, the rest should be up for debate.

Best craic on 7 days today since Phil left I think. Really wish they were able to do a little more with Adele on the show as they miss her and Ann, I think they bounce off each other very well. Or even get Deeno out of the news centre and in studio with them.

IUA14 wrote: »
    Best craic on 7 days today since Phil left I think. Really wish they were able to do a little more with Adele on the show as they miss her and Ann, I think they bounce off each other very well. Or even get Deeno out of the news centre and in studio with them.

Was Deeno back yesterday ?

Does Foley get on with anyone in radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

jezzer wrote: »
    Does Foley get on with anyone in radio?

Jp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Jp

And even that's questionable. :pac:

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And even that's questionable. :pac:

Haha! i dont think he spends as much time with him as he used to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

I'd love to see Ray back on the Today fm airwaves. Haven't heard him since he left & wouldn't mind if he brought his own show rather than tried to copy what Darcy was doing before.

Advertisement