Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Jp

And rumour has it they are the same person! (....well...they do sound the same. :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Gits_bone wrote: »
    And rumour has it they are the same person! (....well...they do sound the same. :P )

Ive met them both at the same time so thats not true!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I haven't listened once since Foley left for 98fm. I rarely missed a show on TodayFM. The blast, lunch I was always a fan.

Foley is a far better radio broadcaster than D'Arcy and if anything Id say D'Arcy may have felt threatened by Foley and that's the reason they didn't get on.

I think he could create a new show suitable for the 9:00 to 12:00 slot with a few laughs involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Deedsie wrote: »
    I haven't listened once since Foley left for 98fm. I rarely missed a show on TodayFM. The blast, lunch I was always a fan.

Foley is a far better radio broadcaster than D'Arcy and if anything Id say D'Arcy may have felt threatened by Foley and that's the reason they didn't get on.

I think he could create a new show suitable for the 9:00 to 12:00 slot with a few laughs involved?

How do we know they didn't get on ? I think Foley being dismissive of people is purely his schtick, Darcy whether you like him or not is one of the most accomplished broadcasters in the country and would garner respect from all quarters for his body of work over the last couple of decades. Granted Darcy was sounding world weary in recent months but to be fair he has been doing the same show for 5 days a week over 15 years .. he needed a change .. he's got what he wanted.

As for Foley leaving 98fm, i think the last thing 98fm need right now is to lose another breakfast crew. 98 has suffered from way too much personnel change and format change in recent years, right now they really need to consolidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

reg114 wrote: »
    How do we know they didn't get on ? I think Foley being dismissive of people is purely his schtick, Darcy whether you like him or not is one of the most accomplished broadcasters in the country and would garner respect from all quarters for his body of work over the last couple of decades. Granted Darcy was sounding world weary in recent months but to be fair he has been doing the same show for 5 days a week over 15 years .. he needed a change .. he's got what he wanted.

As for Foley leaving 98fm, i think the last thing 98fm need right now is to lose another breakfast crew. 98 has suffered from way too much personnel change and format change in recent years, right now they really need to consolidate.

Foley said they didn't get on yesterday morning, he said Darcy couldn't take a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 corcaigh_abu

There's no way TodayFM would put Foley in the 9-12 slot, followed directly by D&D. Foley definitely hasn't mellowed to Darcy levels and with Gift on the Breakfast show as well, the line up would be jokes based from 7 to 2.30. Bit much for a serious broadcaster I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Deeno is still off! On Twitter tonight he answered someone who asked what happened with Darcy and Foley said it wasn't one thing, he just couldn't take a joke or have a laugh like Dempsey and others would!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Deedsie wrote: »

For a long time foley was on the up and up in todayfm but theis 98 gig must be a side step to go back on today fm at a later point. they may just get someone completely fresh and new to fill in darcys slot.

Fair play to foley, he doesnt pussy foot around anybody and has had spats with ruth scott, darcy, dermot and dave and a load of them over at spin, i originally used to like darcy on the den but after he left that he had this superiority complex about him, bit of an ass really, i wonder will will follow him to rte? to read out the postcards maybe??

anyone know what happened between d&d and foley?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

jezzer wrote: »
    For a long time foley was on the up and up in todayfm but theis 98 gig must be a side step to go back on today fm at a later point. they may just get someone completely fresh and new to fill in darcys slot.

Fair play to foley, he doesnt pussy foot around anybody and has had spats with ruth scott, darcy, dermot and dave and a load of them over at spin, i originally used to like darcy on the den but after he left that he had this superiority complex about him, bit of an ass really, i wonder will will follow him to rte? to read out the postcards maybe??

anyone know what happened between d&d and foley?

Going off stuff he's said on podcasts, I think it just rubbed him the wrong way that D&D got his old slot on Today FM. Apparently they were "a bi-word for bad radio" when they were at Today FM and it pissed him off that now that's what Today FM were going for.

But really, who knows. It could all just be sh*te-talk for comedic effect at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 carnin

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Going off stuff he's said on podcasts, I think it just rubbed him the wrong way that D&D got his old slot on Today FM. Apparently they were "a bi-word for bad radio" when they were at Today FM and it pissed him off that now that's what Today FM were going for.

But really, who knows. It could all just be sh*te-talk for comedic effect at the end of the day.

No, there was more to it than that. I remember a few years back on the Today FM podcast Ray mentioned that Dave was bitching about him on twitter. He never went into specifics of what he said about him though.

I don't think they've ever had a problem with Dermot Whelan. They've pretty much said as much on a few occasions, and there's the whole referring to them as 'the funny one and the other one' thing.

So the cause of the ill will between them was the Dave guy, not Foley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

carnin wrote: »
    No, there was more to it than that. I remember a few years back on the Today FM podcast Ray mentioned that Dave was bitching about him on twitter. He never went into specifics of what he said about him though.

I don't think they've ever had a problem with Dermot Whelan. They've pretty much said as much on a few occasions, and there's the whole referring to them as 'the funny one and the other one' thing.

So the cause of the ill will between them was the Dave guy, not Foley.

I think Ray also really dislikes their "contrived" form of entertainment. Games and pranks etc Hence D&D was a byword for bad radio

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I think Ray also really dislikes their "contrived" form of entertainment. Games and pranks etc Hence D&D was a byword for bad radio

Does he never listen to his own show then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

You'd think Foley and D&D would get on. They're very similar

Synode wrote: »
    You'd think Foley and D&D would get on. They're very similar

I've only ever heard snippets of D&D and they're very elaborate sketches such as the games where they say what fits the music or once way back when they were on 98 I heard a really long pre-recorded bit where Dave pranked Dermot. Maybe its the way they approach it but Ray and JP also feels way more natural. But again I haven't heard much of D&D and whatever I have I have heard knowing how Ray feels about 'em so maybe that's affected my opinion as well.

EDIT: Thinking back 'elaborate' probably isn't the best word but hopefully you know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Yeh Foley doesn't really do sketches like say stuff, jingly bits, chug stenson. The closest to it is probably JP's sound lab bits

• Registered Users Posts: 11 carnin

FunLover18 wrote: »

Oh yeah, that too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I think other people are making more of it than they are. I remember Foley saying before that Dermot wouldn't really give anyone the time of day. Anyways, good show today, the last two Friday mixes have been class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

They must get on somewhat okay, cause I defo remember them talking about being out for either Dermot or Dave's birthday before. Id say half of the stuff Ray comes out with about not getting on with people is exaggerated.

They must get on somewhat okay, cause I defo remember them talking about being out for either Dermot or Dave's birthday before. Id say half of the stuff Ray comes out with about not getting on with people is exaggerated.

I can't remember which episode of NTN it was but he defo hates their show. Maybe not them personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

IUA14 wrote: »
    Anyways, good show today, the last two Friday mixes have been class!

Probably my favourite part of the week is the remix. Absolutely love it. If they threw in a small bit of Lazy Radio in there it would be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Just listened to the mix there... Calvin Harris/Example 'We'll Be Coming Back' featured. A little mischievous nod to the last song they ever played at Today FM I wonder, considering the week that's been in it. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Brendão wrote: »
    Just listened to the mix there... Calvin Harris/Example 'We'll Be Coming Back' featured. A little mischievous nod to the last song they ever played at Today FM I wonder, considering the week that's been in it. :):)

Doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Doubt it!

Wishful thinking on my part!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Deeno is back next week!!!!!! Get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eam77

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Where was she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Someones excited! lol

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Someones excited! lol

I was on the beer at the time.

eam77 wrote: »
    Where was she?

On holidays and it appears she was sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm wondering if Today FM would consider moving Dempsey to the 9-12 slot (or even 10-12) and bring Foley in as the new long term breakfast show. I think Dempsey recently signed a new deal with Today FM so he isn't going anywhere any time soon meaning Foley is stuck at 98FM for another few years. Not sure how long he will be willing to sit around and wait his turn. I doubt he was expecting the 98 stint to last very long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'm wondering if Today FM would consider moving Dempsey to the 9-12 slot (or even 10-12) and bring Foley in as the new long term breakfast show. I think Dempsey recently signed a new deal with Today FM so he isn't going anywhere any time soon meaning Foley is stuck at 98FM for another few years. Not sure how long he will be willing to sit around and wait his turn. I doubt he was expecting the 98 stint to last very long.

This would be the best idea in my opinion! Dempsey 10-12 (keep Mario aswell) and have ray on 7-10 with JP and get Ann back on board too

Advertisement