Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Another 9/9 and a wrong. My god there's going to be a load of people who now hate the Foley show

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    Another one, what's 29+12, reply oh I wouldn't be good at maths now... and then his answer was 33... no I mean 43... Ray goes 41, yer man goes bollix.

He said that he wasn't good at maths about 20 seconds after the question was asked. Eh, use the time to add it up on your fingers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Synode wrote: »
    Another 9/9 and a wrong. My god there's going to be a load of people who now hate the Foley show

I was literally screaming the answer at the radio there. I was convinced wither the Facebook question or the Erin Brockovich would seal it as they both had easy enough sets of questions.

Yeah the Erin Brocovich set was seriously easy. But I suppose if you don't know much about the film you wouldn't know the actress.

Ha, finally a winner. 15 minutes into the Adrian and Jeremy show

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ha, finally a winner. 15 minutes into the Adrian and Jeremy show

Really easy set of questions, I smell a fix :pac:

Nice that he's sharing it with his friends.

Nice that he's sharing it with his friends.

5 of them went to the show, they had 5 chances to win the €5,000. It was a clever move.

Loughc wrote: »
    5 of them went to the show, they had 5 chances to win the €5,000. It was a clever move.

Yep, but if I was in that situation I'd grab the cheque and run out the door. :D

Maybe not.

He's moving to Chicago. His mates would want to get that cheque cashed asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Despite not winning it was great craic in the SugarClub this morning, crowd really got invested in everyone who got a chance at the end!

Did you get a shot at answering?

I did...got through 5 I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Only caught about half an hour of this in the morning, bit like the naked radio a while back I just didn't get it, doesn't make good radio really having quiz after quiz after quiz, not exactly interactive with the listener at home.

What are you talking about, the show was hilarious today. Really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I see where soc is coming from tbh. Personally I enjoyed it, but I can equally see how someone else might have found it a bit repetitive.

Disagree on Naked Breakfast though, thought that was great radio no matter what way you look at it. :)

Last set of questions was definitely a fix though. :pax:

Naked breakfast was great and I thought yesterdays show was great, they really do excel in a live venue!

There were a few sets of questions that seemed doable to be honest, the set where the person got 9/10 and the last question was about the colour of the Facebook logo was easier than the set of questions that won in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

I think you have missed the point, it was fun for some but not others, there was no real content so the casual listener isn't bothered, why would you care if someone else wins money? The person who only listens for 20-30 minutes would probably switch off if it's the same stuff. The people on here are here because they like radio or Ray Foley so they will like it, I like both but I wasn't interested in fridays show, you were, shows that it divides opinion.
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I see where soc is coming from tbh. Personally I enjoyed it, but I can equally see how someone else might have found it a bit repetitive.

Disagree on Naked Breakfast though, thought that was great radio no matter what way you look at it. :)

Last set of questions was definitely a fix though. :pax:

I liked the concept of the Naked Breakfast and how they played it out over two hours, and I like the way Ray pushes the boundries a bit more than others in radio, doesn't just play it safe. I enjoyed listening to it but it was more for the people there on the morning i felt, the lack of actual music was a killer for a music station, I know there was live music but it's not the same as having it pumped out so again the casual listeners would just flick by. Having said that I think the naked breakfast was far better than fridays show, was just a bit tedious hearing the same thing again and again.

At least they try new things, I just think it would be wiser to make it more interactive with the listener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Ray mentioned yesterday that they were thinking of scrapping 'Eh, Yeah, Okay'. How do we feel about this, Foley fans?

I still like it but if the lads don't want to do it then it'll be no craic. If it goes, I hope they replace it with something similar with listener interaction.

He said the same thing about the girls v boys quiz a few weeks ago (I can't for the life of me remember what it's called) but he hasn't yet. They'll have to replace them with something new if they do. I don't think they should get rid of either. Enjoy them both

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Brendão wrote: »
    Ray mentioned yesterday that they were thinking of scrapping 'Eh, Yeah, Okay'. How do we feel about this, Foley fans?

I still like it but if the lads don't want to do it then it'll be no craic. If it goes, I hope they replace it with something similar with listener interaction.
    They had retired it or at least semi retired it before leaving today fm if memory serves my right. Then when they came to 98 ray said in one of the podcasts that they were only using it coz they couldn't think of anything better.

No harm in a new segment or two. It can get a bit boring and as if they are just ticking off the boxes when its the same thing day in day out.

Great to hear adelle back with the lads too.

Brendão wrote: »

I really hope it doesn't go, I love Eh, Yeah, Okay I get a great giggle every morning from it. It's more fun when they crash out quickly. Lately people calling in doing the slow answer response trying to win are a pain and take the fun out of it.

I think it got stale midway through their 98 run, then they reduced it to two callers a morning and it sort of had a rebirth. Now it's geting a bit stale again IMO. Like, you mightn't notice it unless you've been listening to Ray since 2004/5 when the game was born, but like Fix It Friday or any long running radio segment, it just starts to get old.

However, I think a shakeup could save it for another while. Get a caller on and give them 1 minute to talk about a subject (maybe with questions from Ray and JP) and give them 3 lives or something. Could make it a random topic every morning, or let listener decide. So it'd be like

Ray: "Hi Joan from from Tallaght, your topic this morning is... Charlie Sheen's hair! Start the clock!"
    Joan: "Charlie Sheen's hair is really lovely. It's black and long and not at all disgusting to look at. I remember the first time I saw Charlie Sheen's hair, it was back in 1997 when I watched Navy Seals for the first time. What a film that was!"
    Ray: "Who else was in that film?"
    Joan: "Eh..."
    *family fortune life losing sound*
    Joan: "I dunno..."
    Ray: "You don't know?"
    Joan: "Yeah sorry, Oh!"
    *family fortune life losing sound*
    Ray: "Oh-ho, you only have one life left, OK Joan?"
    Joan: "OK Ray... ah damn!"
    *Take Me Out lights out sound*
    Ray and JP: *uproarious laughter*

A bit morning zoo, but I dunno, I think it could be fun for a while while they come up with something completely new.

I applause your effort, but that sounds horrific

To be honest, my original idea was to just introduce a timer and tighten up on hesitation. Whether or not that'd take away from the game I don't really know, like it's fun when there's someone reallly good on who they keep on for ages and ages, but it's so dull when there's someone on giving glib answers and they're on for a minute or two before being cut off. Making it a strict 60-90 second window would at cut down on the latter, but potentially ruin the former.

Personally, I'd love a new segment and just scrap it completely.

Go all meta and have a segment where they try and come up with an idea for a segment and get listener suggestions each day and test a new out on Friday or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Honestly I would be happier for them to dump it altogether in place of a regular (weekly?) return of the Gauntlet. Foley, GP and different person each week? Adele, Deeno, the odd celeb guest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Is it just me who feels sorry for the poor sports guy (how ironic that I can't remember his name right now!)? He's never included like Phil was or Deano is. It just feels awkward at the end of the bulletin when he Ray says 'Cheers Deano and just moves on. I cringe every time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I always just figured that the new sports guy (Derek Ryan I think?) just wasn't interested in taking part in the post news chats, unlike Phil and Adrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

That's his name!! Yeah maybe so but I don't think he's even given the chance to. God I've little to be worrying about don't I!!

• Advertisement

jellybear wrote: »
    That's his name!! Yeah maybe so but I don't think he's even given the chance to. God I've little to be worrying about don't I!!

TBH I'd say they've had the conversation off air. Like, Phil wasn't included for a while after Adrian left, but then became a regular. I initially thought they were doing the same with Derek, but I'd say he just isn't interested in doing it so they don't push the issue.

Advertisement