Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Disappointed to hear they are finishing up. Glad that the brekkie show on 98 is finishing tbh, I enjoyed ray and jp's banter when they were left off the hook from peddling some competition or running a slot that, in the old days, they would have ripped the p*ss out of.

Would love to know what their plan is and would be excited if they week able to give it a shot again. Foley is well able for national airwaves, he gels better with an audience outside Dublin

A low key weekly podcast with Jp, trying out some ideas etc would be great and could get the juices flowing again like the today fm days.

The magic of the afternoon show didn't happen by accident or just by one person. Luckily they had the right format, set up by the right people and background staff. I hope that all clicks into place for them again we hear from foley in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Disappointed to hear they are finishing up. Glad that the brekkie show on 98 is finishing tbh, I enjoyed ray and jp's banter when they were left off the hook from peddling some competition or running a slot that, in the old days, they would have ripped the p*ss out of.

Would love to know what their plan is and would be excited if they week able to give it a shot again. Foley is well able for national airwaves, he gels better with an audience outside Dublin

A low key weekly podcast with Jp, trying out some ideas etc would be great and could get the juices flowing again like the today fm days.

The magic of the afternoon show on today fmdidn't happen by accident or just by one person. Luckily they had the right format, set up by the right people and background staff. I hope that all clicks into place for them again we hear from foley in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It was very strange listening to the podcast knowing that there are only two shows left. Some of the things they said at the start made sense when you know what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Devastated. Listening to the show live since 6.30 for the the first time ever I'd say, ha!

Ray being very gracious to everyone but not overly emotional like he was when he left TodayFM.

Edit: No, wait, he just started crying. :(

Hope he'll take a break from Radio now and make a return to a national station in time. The 98 show never really took off and the longer he was there the less chance there'd be of a national wanting him again.

Praying for a regular NTN Podcast now that can actually feature who they want on a rotating guest appearance like Ann, Shauna, Deeno, Muireann, Phil, Nordy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33 corcaigh_abu

We still don't really know what the story is with JP. They fact that he broke down when saying he was gonna miss JP after however many years isn't a great sign. Even if JP was to stay, he'd surely join Ray as soon as he gets back on the airwaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

bbability wrote: »
    The show has completely flopped with Dublin Listeners and FM104 are miles ahead of what was once a close fought contest. I wonder would Colm Hayes and that comedian lad get the gig?
    Its not about podcasts in Dublin its about listenership and it has dwindled under Foley's time in the slot. I don't completely blame him or his team. That talk show has not helped hardened 98FM listeners. They had to do something. He was at his best on Spin and his time on Today FM was enjoyable. I hoped he would give Nobby and Jim a run for their money but alas it never did.

I can't remember was it you posted this idea in the predictions thread, but I'll agree with it here again. I should say, I have no interest in listening to Colm and Al, couldn't stand "Drive By", couldn't stand Colm's Gerry Ryan attempt on mid mornings, and Colm and Jim-Jim on 2FM were very poor. However, I believe Colm was very popular when he was doing the Strawberry, and I think 98 could maybe capitalise on building a rivalry between two old colleagues.

It could fail miserably of course, but I think it'd be an interesting move.

We still don't really know what the story is with JP. They fact that he broke down when saying he was gonna miss JP after however many years isn't a great sign. Even if JP was to stay, he'd surely join Ray as soon as he gets back on the airwaves.

To be honest, I think Ray will maybe go and do TV for a year or two and JP will stay in radio. I think his tweet yesterday "I will always love him" suggests that they are splitting up. Maybe in future they'll team up again, but maybe it'll be good for them to go away and work with other people? Like, they've been together 17 years, working together full-time for what, 11-12? A break might do both o them good.

My favourite period of the 98 show was when Adele was on-air. I know she wants to pursue more behind-the-scenes stuff, but damn she fit in so well with the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Sorry to read about this.. I have been listening to him since the blast. Although, in the past couple of months I have been listening to Chris Moyles.. I just didn't enjoy the restricted format of 98 breakfast.

Maybe it'll be good to have a break and come back refreshed in a couple of years.

Although I thoroughly enjoy him on radio, I don't think he is as good on TV, so it's interesting to see that he may focus on that..

I wish him well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Focusing on his TV career? What TV career? Maybe I've been watching the "wrong" programmes / channels but I've never seen him on TV, apart from a glimpse at some horrible dating show he did a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Focusing on his TV career? What TV career? Maybe I've been watching the "wrong" programmes / channels but I've never seen him on TV, apart from a glimpse at some horrible dating show he did a few years ago?

He regularly hosts the 7 o clock show and Saturday am on tv3. I think their is a decent chance he will get a permanent gig on one of those shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

He has been guest presenting both the 7 o'clock show and Saturday AM on and off the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

He did a game show last year, and has been doing the 7'o'clock show and Saturday AM fairly regularly this year.

Game show was pretty awful, but I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen of him on the 7'o'clock show, him and Mairead Farrell seem to work really well together.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well the good news is he isn't leaving radio. I wonder what's next for him for radio?

https://twitter.com/rayfoleyshow/status/679605444499894273

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I guess I'll be switching to Moyles in the morning now as opposed to just the weekly podcast.

Have to say I did enjoy Foley on Saturday AM with Anna Daly and on The 7 O'Clock Show with Mairead and Louise, works well with them all.

Was surprised how emotional he got this morning if they knew it was the plan for a while now. No mention of JP and Muireann and whats next but after Foley mentioned about the tweet yday that his mother asked about JP when he told her, JP said when he told his mother she asked about Ray which I took to mean they were both leaving? I think Muireann will stay and be part of the new breakfast show, I really don't know where else they could move her, or indeed JP, the rest of 98FM's schedule is only a year or so old.

Delighted he said he's not leaving radio, guess we all will just have to wait and see whats next. From what he said this morning the show really took a toll on him, especially the 5.30 mornings 5 days a week so I highly doubt he will be doing another breakfast show next?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Maybe Ray could join Tracey on 2fm afternoons. So far I don't think the show has really took off in the way they would have been hoping. Maybe Ray could attract in some more listeners. They are both good friends too so that would help.

I don't see this happening but it would be cool if it did.

Did anyone hear JP this morning saying the show sounded like an Al porter show, could this have been a joke about the rumour of colm and Al coming over?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 comegowithme

Luke O'Faolain rumoured to be taking over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Who's Rays PR manager? Is he NK management?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You know what gig JP would be brilliant at ? On off the ball or something like that. The guy is intelligent and clearly knows his sport.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He's taken the iRadio out of his Twitter name and replaced it with 98fm, so he'll be involved with them anyway.

98FM's Big Breakfast with Luke and Muireann would be the most logical outcome I guess? Really seems like this will have them being direct competitors to Fully Charged on Spin for the younger audience...not so sure how this will go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭badgersbelief

I wonder if Luke is there for the breakfast show or there to replace someone else. It'd make sense to offer the breakfast show to Brian and Dara and then put Luke on the big ride home and give Muireann her hold slot back. It seems a bit far fetched but that's what I'd like for them to do.

By the way, they made a Twitter account for the new show, it's @98BigBreakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Faugheen wrote: »
    He's taken the iRadio out of his Twitter name and replaced it with 98fm, so he'll be involved with them anyway.

Luke is currently on 98s site as presenter of the hot mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Only finding out about this now. I know I've been expecting it for the past while but still... I haven't been listening regularly to the show recently (Moyles being back and all), but still caught bits here and there. Going to miss the show and tbh I probably won't end up listening to 98 much at all now. I used to have it on all day back in the Ray/Barry Dunne/Dermot and Dave days.

I think Ray and JP will be going their separate ways unfortunately. JP doesn't have TV work to depend on, and from what it seems, Ray is going to be focusing on that aspect of things (even if he stays in radio, maybe with a weekend show or something). They might keep JP on the breakfast show for some continuity, but in a more background role or something. Or maybe him and Muireann will get the drivetime/evening slot. I think it'll be Brian and Dara on breakfast tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

This morning I only caught the end of Ray's goodbye statement. I just listened to the whole thing on the podcast there - wow. Totally teared up. When he broke at the end when he was talking about JP, it was heartbreaking. They obviously won't be working together for the foreseeable future, because he wasn't lilke that when they left Today FM.

The only odd thing was that when he was listing the people to thank, there was no mention of Adele...

I started listening to Ray and JP back in the days of The Blast, and I never left them. And now they're leaving me. I'll really miss them from the airwaves. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bbability wrote: »
    Who's Rays PR manager? Is he NK management?

Wouldn't surprise me...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Luke is currently on 98s site as presenter of the hot mix.

I'm aware of that and he has been for a few months now, but he's removed all iRadio references in his Twitter name and bio which implies he's taking on a more prominent role in 98.

As someone alluded to earlier, Dara and Brian to take over brekkie and Luke on dive would be the way to go. I couldn't see Luke being efficient on Breakfast. His style is much more suited to drive in my opinion. Mind you, he's come a long way in such a short space of time so maybe I could be wrong.

This morning I only caught the end of Ray's goodbye statement. I just listened to the whole thing on the podcast there - wow. Totally teared up. When he broke at the end when he was talking about JP, it was heartbreaking. They obviously won't be working together for the foreseeable future, because he wasn't lilke that when they left Today FM.

The only odd thing was that when he was listing the people to thank, there was no mention of Adele...

I started listening to Ray and JP back in the days of The Blast, and I never left them. And now they're leaving me. I'll really miss them from the airwaves. :(

Yeah it definitely was difficult to hear and sad. It seems strange though, they are genuinely best mates so I am sure they will be doing things together but this will be the first time in 12+ years they wont see each other and work alongside each other everyday until the next thing comes along, whatever that may be.

The Adele thing, she hasn't been at 98FM too long and they really only thanked those involved day-to-day with the show besides the guys that were responsible for bringing them to the station or getting their show out, wouldn't read into that at all really.

Would like to see Dara and Brian get breakfast but, as I said, can't see it so soon after they started their own new shows. Time will tell. Hopefully more info from the lads on the future tomorrow either on air or podcast, or as before a post online.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

sad for Ray, it must be awful getting let go at Christmas. If Brian , dara or Luke get breakfast will they bring listeners though ? Why should they succeed where Ray failed?

I noticed that all the promos on 98FM that they do of a recap of the mornings show throughout the day are no "98FM Breakfast" no mention of The Ray Foley Show.

Listened to Quilty this evening and he addressed two text messages about Ray leaving and one asking him and Brian to adopt JP, from a Claire, Quilty responded with "presumably not JP's ex friend Claire...listen tomorrow and the lads would appreciate a text".

Don't think they will succeed no, the problems at 98FM go way beyond the breakfast slot and Quilty's ratings on drive time are lower than Foley's anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Faugheen wrote: »
    I'm aware of that and he has been for a few months now, but he's removed all iRadio references in his Twitter name and bio which implies he's taking on a more prominent role in 98.

As someone alluded to earlier, Dara and Brian to take over brekkie and Luke on dive would be the way to go. I couldn't see Luke being efficient on Breakfast. His style is much more suited to drive in my opinion. Mind you, he's come a long way in such a short space of time so maybe I could be wrong.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Brian maher and Luke o faolain taking over brekkie on 98 after Xmas

Read back a few pages lads. He's on brekkie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Steve King

The only logical move I can see for him outside of a return to Today FM is Breakfast on 2FM. Now that would be interesting!

As great as some regionals like iRadio and Red are it could be a step backwards after been on two major Dublin stations back to back. And I dont think FM104 and him would really gel together.

Over the years he has put effort into every link, bed, interview and bit. I hope he's back soon. Best of luck Ray.

Advertisement