Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

MrMac84 wrote: »
    The blast was today fm tho!!???????

Ah right. I always thought it was on Spin. My bad. What time was it on at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Synode wrote: »
    Ah right. I always thought it was on Spin. My bad. What time was it on at

It was a long time ago but I think 10pm -12am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It was a long time ago but I think 10pm -12am

It was indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I have a load of blast podcasts. I can put them up on Dropbox if anyone wants them. I'll try do it tomorrow. But going on honeymoon Dec 28th so might not get a chance till we come home. Praying they come back to national radio.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Deedsie wrote: »
    I have a load of blast podcasts. I can put them up on Dropbox if anyone wants them. I'll try do it tomorrow. But going on honeymoon Dec 28th so might not get a chance till we come home. Praying they come back to national radio.

If u could put them up that would be great. Congrats on the wedding. Where you going for honeymoon?

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    If u could put them up that would be great. Congrats on the wedding. Where you going for honeymoon?

Sound... Orlando for 6 days, Cancun for 7 days and 2 night in New York on the way home. Can't wait now. I'll be back in Dublin tomorrow and I'll put them up if I get a chance. Broadband is hit and miss down home so easier if I wait till tomorrow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Deedsie wrote: »
    Sound... Orlando for 6 days, Cancun for 7 days and 2 night in New York on the way home. Can't wait now. I'll be back in Dublin tomorrow and I'll put them up if I get a chance. Broadband is hit and miss down home so easier if I wait till tomorrow.

I'm getting married in 2017 and that's almost the exact honeymoon we're thinking of. Have a great time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I'm getting married in 2017 and that's almost the exact honeymoon we're thinking of. Have a great time!

You should ask Ray to DJ at your wedding!

You should ask Ray to DJ at your wedding!

I don't think I could afford him but either way he's more than welcome to attend haha. Who knows jp might be looking for work then.

We got married December 19th and we went to London for 2 days just prior to Christmas, flew from Shannon to London on the 21st, home the 23rd. I'd highly recommend it as we needed a bit of space from people straight away after the wedding but didn't want to miss Christmas at home. Really looking forward to it now, could do with a couple of weeks in the sun :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jackmcc

Link?

Haha that was me. Boards won't let me send the link but I'm @jackmccw on Twitter and I tweeted it on Xmas day.

Here you go lads... I have more I think but I wont get them up until I get back. Enjoy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwlonln4g1zvd58/The%20Ray%20Foley%20Show.mp3?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

With Christmas going on, the news never really sank in. Never got to listen to the last show. So just realised again this evening that there'll be no show to listen to after the holidays. That's so crap. Really hope they are back on radio together sooner rather than later. Ray & JP have been part of my daily routine in one form or another for about 8 years now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

With Christmas going on, the news never really sank in. Never got to listen to the last show. So just realised again this evening that there'll be no show to listen to after the holidays. That's so crap. Really hope they are back on radio together sooner rather than later. Ray & JP have been part of my daily routine in one form or another for about 8 years now. :(

Apparently he intends doing more TV work in the future. I saw him recently doing The Seven O'Clock Show on TV3 and I could not believe how much weight he had put on in recent years. Last time I saw him on the box was when he presented the Irish version of the show: "Take Me Out" but I much preferred Paddy McGuinness on the UK version. I hated his show on Today FM as well. I just never really got his appeal myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jackmcc

He seems to have a few dedicated podcast followers, like me, who have followed him from station to station just downloading his shows and enjoying the odd bit of "podcast only material" which was always brilliant.

I hope Ray, JP and co find a way to keep podcasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I might have come across a bit strong before Christmas about his departure from 98fm so I do apologise if I did.
    I've listened to Ray Foley for years as far back as The Zoo Crew. I think this break from radio will do him and JP the world of good. 98FM was not the place for Ray and JP. They have national radio written all over them. Give it time they will be back, probably not next year but soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭chilloutrelax

bbability wrote: »
    I might have come across a bit strong before Christmas about his departure from 98fm so I do apologise if I did.
    I've listened to Ray Foley for years as far back as The Zoo Crew. I think this break from radio will do him and JP the world of good. 98FM was not the place for Ray and JP. They have national radio written all over them. Give it time they will be back, probably not next year but soon.

The move to 98fm was not a good move, we all live and learn from such career moves. 98fm is a mess, I have said many times that if ray inherited the strawberry on 104 I would guess that there would be no issues due to the strength of the brand and station. 98fm is the main problem, a utter disaster from every basic business principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I actually think 98 was the right move to make. Had he gone to 104 and did good numbers, people would question was it him or the brand. It wouldn't matter how good the numbers were, he wouldn't get the credit for it. Going to 98 there would be no such questions. The numbers weren't great in the end but Dublin was always his weak point anyway. The experience he gained will be invaluable when he returns to hopefully Today FM at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭chilloutrelax

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I actually think 98 was the right move to make. Had he gone to 104 and did good numbers, people would question was it him or the brand. It wouldn't matter how good the numbers were, he wouldn't get the credit for it. Going to 98 there would be no such questions. The numbers weren't great in the end but Dublin was always his weak point anyway. The experience he gained will be invaluable when he returns to hopefully Today FM at some point.

I can see where you are coming from and you are probably right re 104. Although Colm and Jim were snapped up by 2fm based on the shows success.
    In my opinion it's hard to agree with stating that the move to 98fm was a good one as there is no evicince of success, in fact they lost listeners over their time, cost a small fortune in terms of marketing etc and were set up as the cornerstone of the station and are now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I can see where you are coming from and you are probably right re 104. Although Colm and Jim were snapped up by 2fm based on the shows success.
    In my opinion it's hard to agree with stating that the move to 98fm was a good one as there is no evicince of success, in fact they lost listeners over their time, cost a small fortune in terms of marketing etc and were set up as the cornerstone of the station and are now gone.

I meant for him, not for 98. He got to experience mornings and it doesn't sound like he will want to do them again so it's better to have done that on a smaller station than crashing and burning on Today FM. The majority of the Today FM listenership won't have heard him on 98. Hopefully he goes back to Today FM during the day time and can pick up where they left off a few years ago. I'd rather mornings as that's when I get to listen, but it seems like he doesn't want to do mornings anymore.

As for Colm and Jim-Jim, they made 104 a success. Anyone since then has been riding the Strawberry alarm clock brand rather than being the best show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Dan Healy was in the Mirror or Sun today, saying that 2FM would not take in Ray Foley for the next few years at least. Most of 2FMs main weekday staff now on 3 year contracts.

He thought it was very odd that Ray moved to 98FM in the first place, as he thinks the station is for only "women over 35s". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

If you find a link for that throw it up, didn't see that today. Weird thing for Healy to divulge that most on air talent are on 3 year deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

IUA14 wrote: »
    If you find a link for that throw it up, didn't see that today. Weird thing for Healy to divulge that most on air talent are on 3 year deals.

Can't find any links online, it's just that I read it in one of the papers today over at the in-laws. If the paper is there over the next few days, i'll take a photo.

Ah no, no worries was just curious to read the interview and see what he was talking about.

When does 98fm's new breakfast show start is it Monday?

No idea, doubtful I would think since they have done zero promotion for it? I imagine they might announce it this week and then start it in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When does 98fm's new breakfast show start is it Monday?

I'd imagine Monday, otherwise the slot will become a basket case where nobody knows what's going on and won't switch over to see what's on. They have had a couple of weeks and with the way Foley departed it appeared to be pre agreed so presumption would be they would have the new show ready to go. An advertising campaign on air would have not gone astray.

I'd imagine Monday, otherwise the slot will become a basket case where nobody knows what's going on and won't switch over to see what's on. They have had a couple of weeks and with the way Foley departed it appeared to be pre agreed so presumption would be they would have the new show ready to go. An advertising campaign on air would have not gone astray.

Agree with that point, but it is 98FM so who knows...not even short on air promos to say something big is coming to breakfast which you would think would be the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

TBH I'd say it's unlikely that the new show will take over on Monday. Have they even officially announced the new hosts yet? If not, then it'd be incredibly strange for them to just parachute in a new show with no prior announcements...

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    TBH I'd say it's unlikely that the new show will take over on Monday. Have they even officially announced the new hosts yet? If not, then it'd be incredibly strange for them to just parachute in a new show with no prior announcements...

Yeah I agree, would not make sense at all, I could see maybe Andy Clarke doing it for the week and promos and marketing starting from Monday.

Advertisement