Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 XtraStrong

They probably wanna give a few weeks between Foley going and the new show starting. Didn't they do the same when the last breakfast show ended. There was a few weeks of music before Foley came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

iseegirls wrote: »
    Dan Healy was in the Mirror or Sun today, saying that 2FM would not take in Ray Foley for the next few years at least. Most of 2FMs main weekday staff now on 3 year contracts.

He thought it was very odd that Ray moved to 98FM in the first place, as he thinks the station is for only "women over 35s". :rolleyes:

what sort of a clown is this Healy man? basically saying there's a job waiting for RF in 2FM when they wont renew one of the current daytime presenters contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I agree what he says about 98 being aimed at women over 35, the music would reflect that

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭chilloutrelax

I agree what he says about 98 being aimed at women over 35, the music would reflect that

I'm not so sure about that. The music seems a little all over the place and at times is sounding like Spin.

Also, I agree that it will be a couple of weeks before a new show starts. Stations usually put some water between shows for a number of reasons:
    - prepare for the new show - production wise
    - presenters can practice
    - build up hype
    - make it clear that a change had happened. I've a feeling this will be strongly used as they will want to let Dublin know Ray is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They need something big in the prize territory too for a relaunch, a car, €20k in cash or something to attract people to change over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭chilloutrelax

They need something big in the prize territory too for a relaunch, a car, €20k in cash or something to attract people to change over.

I really don't think those kind of things work anymore (or ever did). It has to be all about the show, its presenters and the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I really don't think those kind of things work anymore (or ever did). It has to be all about the show, its presenters and the brand.

But at the minute unless they sign someone new they have nobody at all onboard with any history of success on a morning breakfast slot, there is no morning brand at the station either.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Andy Clarke is on this morning. Deeno not on. Muireann was up early if her Twitter is anything to go by.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

On the 3rd last podcast ever. Using them to the brighten up my mornings. But my god it's very sad knowing it's coming to an end.

Anyone can recommend a good podcast to replace the Ray foley show in the mornings with?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

As expected Muireann confirmed she is staying at 98FM responding to a tweet. Hard to imagine her not being part of the new breakfast show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Andy Clarke is on this morning. Deeno not on. Muireann was up early if her Twitter is anything to go by.

She's covering early breakfast on today fm for the next couple of weeks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

swampy353 wrote: »
    She's covering early breakfast on today fm for the next couple of weeks

Wow, I didn't think she'd be able to cover for TodayFM if she's under contract with 98FM? I know they've the same owners so maybe that's why?

Nice catch, listened to a bit of the show on Listen Back on the TodayFM app, pretty solid actually, quite like Muireann on her own, she hasn't mentioned covering on Twitter. Wouldn't be surprised if she ended up at TodayFM down the line, already has her own idents on TodayFM for christs sake. Same goes for Deeno, can see her on news at TodayFM.

Paula McSweeney covering for Louise Duffy the next few weeks, I'll be tuning into that. Herself and Ann are always good craic together!

98FM turning into Communicorps development station...Adrian Barry, Phil Egan, Dermot & Dave...

Completely missed this last month, TodayFM CEO stepped down...always thought when the lads spoke about changes at TodayFM and not the same station they were referring to McPartlin who took over about 9 months before they left.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/peter-mcpartlin-ceo-stepping-down-2475381-Nov2015/

Who's covering for Barry Dunne today on 98?

Loughc wrote: »
    Who's covering for Barry Dunne today on 98?

Muireann...she's busy!

IUA14 wrote: »
    Muireann...she's busy!

I thought it sounded like her alright, double jobbing, next we'll spot her at a taxi rank. :pac:

I thought it sounded like her alright, double jobbing, next we'll spot her at a taxi rank. :pac:

She had a "on 98FM" moment on TodayFM this morning so expect a few more if she is doing Early Breakfast and covering Barry Dunne all week. 5am-7am and 12-4pm...ouch!

She had a "on 98FM" moment on TodayFM this morning so expect a few more if she is doing Early Breakfast and covering Barry Dunne all week. 5am-7am and 12-4pm...ouch!

I expect a full meltdown by Friday. 5am-7am is a horrendous shift and 12-4 is a long old shift when flying solo, i was only thinking that today how the hell does Barry Dunne get landed with such a long shift every day compared to the other shows on 98.

The only saving grace is the 12-4 show is certainly more music orinated that the breakfast show would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Must be being lined up for a show so. Maybe taking over from Barry Dunne? Or maybe Paul McLoone's leaving Today FM and they might go back to a Blast type format...

Or else she's just trying to make as much monaaaay as possible before a drought if she's going to be doing cover from here on...

• Advertisement

I expect a full meltdown by Friday. 5am-7am is a horrendous shift and 12-4 is a long old shift when flying solo, i was only thinking that today how the hell does Barry Dunne get landed with such a long shift every day compared to the other shows on 98.

The only saving grace is the 12-4 show is certainly more music orinated that the breakfast show would be.

Barry used to do 10-4 a few schedule switches back...don't know how, thats an horrific length to be on air!

Barry used to do 10-4 a few schedule switches back...don't know how, thats an horrific length to be on air!

Jesus at that stage they could have rebranded it Barry Dunne FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

About 3 or 4 years ago, Muireann had a stint presenting the Saturday breakfast show on Today fm for awhile after Martin King was taken off it, she was also producing Joan Lees late show on 98fm during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 carnin

Detective (?) John Bombsquad.

😀
    So I'm trying to go through the people or characters who were at one time or another part of both the todayfm show and the 98fm show on air or on the podcast.

This is the list I've got.
    Ray,
    JP,
    Adelle,
    Ann,
    Al,
    New guy Ken,
    Nordy,
    Muireann,
    Deeno,
    Adrian,
    Broadcaster Philip Egan :D
    Derek,
    Paul Collins(gauntlets),
    Una Saturdays,
    Jayo,
    Suzanne,
    Denis,
    Michelle(original producer I think that was her name)

I'm feel like I'm missing people but maybe I'm not.

On the second to last ever Ray Foley Podcast the one where Ray starts with saying his goodbyes and he got emotional. Wow I wasn't expecting him to get so emotional, shows how much he's going to miss JP.

They genuinely seemed like they were having some craic on air together and they have the kind of chemistry producers could only dream of.

It's a shame to hear how much the early mornings took their toll on Ray and he ended up hating the breakfast show towards the end.

I'm glad he's getting a chance to recharge the batteries and hopefully it won't be long until himself and JP are back on air in some way.

It used to be 10-4 before adrian kennedy and the other lad arrived.
    So muireann is the breakfast show solo then ?

So muireann doing the early breakfast on today fm ?

So muireann doing the early breakfast on today fm ?

She's covering this week. Long term she's staying at 98 for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

I always felt that Foley got promoted to daytime Today FM too soon, it would have been good if the blast continued a few more years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I always felt that Foley got promoted to daytime Today FM too soon, it would have been good if the blast continued a few more years.

I dunno, I think they were outgrowing the nighttime show to be honest. Maybe they could have done another year of it, but I think it was better to leave on the high that they did. Being in work until after midnight every night can't have been easy for two lads in their early-mid 20's too.

I'd love to know what figures they were drawing in at night though. I think they've mentioned before that they were the most listened to show in that slot on the station ever, but I'd love to know how they compared to all the other stations at that time and how their figures hold up now....

Advertisement