Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I dunno, I think they were outgrowing the nighttime show to be honest. Maybe they could have done another year of it, but I think it was better to leave on the high that they did. Being in work until after midnight every night can't have been easy for two lads in their early-mid 20's too.

I'd love to know what figures they were drawing in at night though. I think they've mentioned before that they were the most listened to show in that slot on the station ever, but I'd love to know how they compared to all the other stations at that time and how their figures hold up now....

I'm not surprised that it was so popular, there wasn't much else on late night radio for youth at that time. When they moved to lunchtime, Today FM did the borderline insane thing of replacing them with Tim Kelly, nothing against the man but it made no sense replacing two young 25 year old presenters with a 40 something classic hits jock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm not surprised that it was so popular, there wasn't much else on late night radio for youth at that time. When they moved to lunchtime, Today FM did the borderline insane thing of replacing them with Tim Kelly, nothing against the man but it made no sense replacing two young 25 year old presenters with a 40 something classic hits jock.

Definitely. I was young at the time (12-13 or something), and Foley was the first DJ that did radio that I could get enthusiastic about. Spin SW was still 2 years away, iRadio still a few years away, Red FM in Cork just finding its feet - I think Today FM just gave up on the slot after Foley left, when they could have tried to keep the audience Foley had built.

Now, maybe the show wasn't as popular as it seems to have been, but going from Foley to Kelly to (I believe) Tom Dunne/Paul McLoone really was just odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Foley and JP really broke new ground at Today FM, I remember them talking with Al on an NTN podcast about meeting him when he was working on Tom Dunne's show on the station and for Al it was the first time some new people had joined the schedule in years, people his age on air, playing music he liked. It was a big deal when Foley got the lunchtime gig, first of many steps Today FM took towards relevance. Since Foley has left 98FM I've drifted back towards Today FM, besides listening to Quilty the odd bit in the evenings.

Also saw today Muireann responded to someone on Twitter saying she wouldn't be on the new breakfast show on 98FM. But Luke Faolin hinted good things were happening so pretty much confirmation he's one of the new hosts on breakfast anyways.

https://twitter.com/MuireannOConnel/status/684428947669553157

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

I see that Muireann is covering Paula McSweeny's early morning slot on Today FM at the moment.

lambayire wrote: »
    I see that Muireann is covering Paula McSweeny's early morning slot on Today FM at the moment.

Yeah, talked about that previously, started on Monday and doing it for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭badgersbelief

Heard ads for the new show this morning, basically just "Something big is coming to 98FM"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Heard ads for the new show this morning, basically just "Something big is coming to 98FM"

The new show is set to be called "The Big Breakfast".

I heard the ads all week too, trying to drum up some interest. Also on the 98fm site the Ray Foley Show podcasts are listed under 98's Big Breakfast.

It'll be interesting to see who takes over. Also I wonder what JP is doing next?

Noticed on the site on the Big Breakfast graphic on the on air page it has "#MadeOfDublin"...I would expect their marketing campaign for the show will be more about Dublin than the show itself, think they may try to overcompensate for the lack of impact they have had on the Dublin market the last number of years. I would expect an announcement today or tomorrow about the new show, then next week heavy promotion with first show on the 18th. Leaving it any longer wouldn't make sense I don't think.

Luke O'Faolin is nailed on I think, and given Muireann saying she wont be part of it I would expect her to take over The Fix if Brian moves to breakfast.

Its annoying JP doesn't have Twitter...at least you can keep up to date with Foley but the little man is a mystery, wont know what he's doing until he does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

#MadeOfDublin might work now that the host isn't from Mayo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

IUA14 wrote: »

Luke O'Faolin is nailed on I think, and given Muireann saying she wont be part of it I would expect her to take over The Fix if Brian moves to breakfast.

Mr Mac has posted it twice now. Its Brian Maher and Luke O'Faolin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Having to listen to Dempsey this week and it's killing me

Synode wrote: »
    Mr Mac has posted it twice now. Its Brian Maher and Luke O'Faolin

Wouldn't take anything as gospel until its confirmed, where is the fun in no speculation!

98FM is a mess this week, Andy Clarke on breakfast with maybe 5/10 mins of talking over 4 hours, Muireann in for Barry Dunne, Nails Mahoney in for Quilty and sticking strictly to the painful playlist...really are not doing themselves any favours.

As for Dempsey, I am actually really enjoying Today FM this week...only downside is breakfast show, like Dempsey as a person/presenter but find the show boring. Loving Paula McSweeney on afternoons...not a massive Louise Duffy fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

Whats the state of play now that Ray has left? At the minute all I hear is andy clarke but the show is rubbish so I find myself flicking around stations whilst trying to avoid fm104 because those 2 would drive any sane person mad!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

megabantz wrote: »
    Whats the state of play now that Ray has left? At the minute all I hear is andy clarke but the show is rubbish so I find myself flicking around stations whilst trying to avoid fm104 because those 2 would drive any sane person mad!

Their New Breakfast Show will be Called 98's Big Breakfast. No confirmation on who's presenting or when it starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Loughc wrote: »
    Their New Breakfast Show will be Called 98's Big Breakfast. No confirmation on who's presenting or when it starts.

Ahem

No mention of iradio anymore on lukes Twitter

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Ahem

I know. But no official confirmation from 98 is what I meant.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Ahem

Definitely gone to 98FM no doubt, think its just about the announcement now. Surprising to throw Brian and Luke together unless they know each other? Dara and Brian would make more sense I would have thought with Luke taking over The Big Ride Home?

Foley on The Seven O'Clock show tonight.

Listened to Ann's Love Bag there on Today FM...had me in stitches! Hope the lads work with her again soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭badgersbelief

Mentioned that before on here, surely it would make more sense to put Brian and Dara on breakfast since they've worked together before and seem to be good mates. But it looks like it'll be Brian and Luke.

Luke did recently tweet this tho: https://twitter.com/FaolainLuke/status/683695184060755968

Wouldn't exactly lead you to think we have it sussed...

Haha that is too funny. Fair play to him for tweeting that.

• Advertisement

So Quilty has temporarily taken possession of Bess the horse from Foley at 98FM. Him and Brian had a game of "Take on Brian" this evening but before the jingle hit Bess took them on the journey to the past to so they could play. So surprised if they are not put back together at some stage...Quilty did ask Brian at the end of the feature "how do you feel about doing that again sometime. We'll bring it back". Surely the best hope 98FM would have for resurrecting the station would be them on breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

So Quilty has temporarily taken possession of Bess the horse from Foley at 98FM. Him and Brian had a game of "Take on Brian" this evening but before the jingle hit Bess took them on the journey to the past to so they could play. So surprised if they are not put back together at some stage...Quilty did ask Brian at the end of the feature "how do you feel about doing that again sometime. We'll bring it back". Surely the best hope 98FM would have for resurrecting the station would be them on breakfast.

I liked them on Spin as a duo. Not sure if they would suit breakfast but i'd definitely give it a listen and see, then again is Quilty too similar to Foley and then you're back to square one...

Wonder what the aim is for the show, where they want to sit in the ratings? Also is chopping two shows from the schedule to fill one slot good for stability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

folks can we continue the discussion of the 98fm breakfast show on a new thread as this is really a Ray Foley thread.

Surprised there hasn't been a blog post on RayFoley.ie or an NTN podcast since the show ended, Foley seems like the type who wouldn't be happy just doing an hour of TV a week!

Surprised there hasn't been a blog post on RayFoley.ie or an NTN podcast since the show ended, Foley seems like the type who wouldn't be happy just doing an hour of TV a week!

I think he's just enjoying the time off at the moment, he seems to be (according to his Twitter) going for walks each day.

He's prob focusing on losing more weight and enjoying not having to get up at stupid o'clock.

I do wonder when and where will he pop up again on Radio?

Would love a NTN Podcast to tie us over in the meanwhile.

YouTube removed the podcast of their last Today FM show that someone put in this thread a while back, anyone have any of the old Today FM podcasts anywhere?

Assume Foley will keep the show soundcloud account and the 98 podcasts will stay there? Reckon they will be taken off 98FM.com soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

YouTube removed the podcast of their last Today FM show that someone put in this thread a while back, anyone have any of the old Today FM podcasts anywhere?

Assume Foley will keep the show soundcloud account and the 98 podcasts will stay there? Reckon they will be taken off 98FM.com soon enough!

I've the last show podcast but I wouldn't know how to get it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've the last show podcast but I wouldn't know how to get it on here.

Upload to Dropbox, share the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

I have the Today FM podcasts from the end of August 2011 to their last show there in late 2012. Unfortunately all the files from mid-May 2012 got corrupted so are unusable, though i've read there are ways to fix corrupted MP3s. Does anyone have their podcasts from before Aug 2011? If it's not too time-consuming i could upload the working files from my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

My earliest podcast is one from April 19th 2011.

Advertisement