Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

stannis wrote: »
    Had no idea that Nordy Eoghan has a show on Today FM - how long has he been doing that?

Couple of years now, it's friday nights, 10 or 11pm-2am. Used be eoghan and Shauna, has Ann took her place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Muireann and Ray on the seven o clock show on tv3. Love it lads.

Louise Duffy not too shabby either:)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Oh I know it probably won't happen, but man it'd be so cool to have them together again, and especially doing a show about 90's music...

And to be fair, that show doesn't start until 10pm, doesn't he finish on TV3 at 8 or 9? :P

I'm pretty sure Friday night 90s is pre recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

elmoslats wrote:

It is yeah I think.

JP to iRadio? Stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

elmoslats wrote: »

Yeah, definitely is. Which is a shame IMO, I think the two lads work well together, but the prerecorded nature of it makes it sound very stilted at times.

I remember on one of the NTN podcasts Ray was talking about Shauna asking him for advice on how to use the Today FM studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Just stumbled across this, Raymond is blogging again on http://rayfoley.ie/blog/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

IUA14 wrote: »
    Just stumbled across this, Raymond is blogging again on http://rayfoley.ie/blog/

It's funny that he's blogging about the food aspect of the show as I have remarked to my missus that every time I flick on he is eating on the show, ha!

Glad to see he's blogging, it must mean he misses being creative. Hopefully a return to the NTN Podcast won't be too far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I've always liked Ray's writing style, ever since the rayfoley.net blogspot days. Will have to keep an eye on it. I hope NTN makes a return too.

One of my friends is doing a masters in journalism at the minute too. I'll have to ask her if Ray is in her class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

Just got excited when I saw a new podcast in my feed.
    Unfortunately it's a big breakfast clip.
    I'm pretty sure the feed I'm subscribed to was the same feed he had when in todayfm. Guess its not his anymore.

elmoslats wrote: »
    Just got excited when I saw a new podcast in my feed.
    Unfortunately it's a big breakfast clip.
    I'm pretty sure the feed I'm subscribed to was the same feed he had when in todayfm. Guess its not his anymore.

No they changed podcast feeds when the moved stations. The one they went on to was used by 98FM breakfast shows before.

• Advertisement

Really hope the lads finished on an upswing in the JNLR's tomorrow, doubt they care that much but still.

Figures nationally... http://www.thejournal.ie/jnlr-figures-irish-radio-2582346-Feb2016/

Dermot and Dave down to 121,000, 30,000+ below where Foley was before leaving. Louise Duffy down 4,000 to 94,000...don't know how long TodayFM will stick with her...would love Foley and JP in that 2.30 to 4.30 slot, perfect for them!

2FM down across the board too with Breakfast Republic down 8,000 book-on-book!!! Yikes!

Figures nationally... http://www.thejournal.ie/jnlr-figures-irish-radio-2582346-Feb2016/

Dermot and Dave down to 121,000, 30,000+ below where Foley was before leaving. Louise Duffy down 4,000 to 94,000...don't know how long TodayFM will stick with her...would love Foley and JP in that 2.30 to 4.30 slot, perfect for them!

2FM down across the board too with Breakfast Republic down 15,000 book-on-book!!! Yikes!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

How did foley end up doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭chilloutrelax

He finished with 36k listeners, down 1,000 book on book and down 7,000 year on year.

Spin are at 49k and 104 on 82k….

Whether people think he is good or bad, clearly there was no connection at all with the Dublin market with figures like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Loughc wrote: »
    How did foley end up doing?

Bad, the figures show why Foley was cut

my friend wrote: »
    Bad, the figures show why Foley was cut

Very true.. The circumtances of him leaving was obvious... Choice?? I doubt it

He finished with 36k listeners, down 1,000 book on book and down 7,000 year on year.

Spin are at 49k and 104 on 82k….

Whether people think he is good or bad, clearly there was no connection at all with the Dublin market with figures like that.

Agree, think 98FM not letting them be themselves made the experiment of Foley on breakfast pointless. 98FM in a world of trouble, Quilty down 8,000 year on year. That being said Strawberry Alarm Clock down 4,000 year on year and The Jam down 9,000 too...but they can actually afford to lose a few listeners unlike 98!

IUA14 wrote: »
    Agree, think 98FM not letting them be themselves made the experiment of Foley on breakfast pointless. 98FM in a world of trouble, Quilty down 8,000 year on year. That being said Strawberry Alarm Clock down 4,000 year on year and The Jam down 9,000 too...but they can actually afford to lose a few listeners unlike 98!

98 are in a spot of bother (Barry Dunne remains the exception as usual, ironically the least promoted show on the station by miles). Dara quilty is only a third of spins drive show... Dublin talks has had no impact at 34k - they had 10k more at night on 104. I don't blame the presenters, management haven't a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 corcaigh_abu

Station Programme Time 15Q4 14Q4 +/- Ch %
    98FM Ray Foley 07.00-10.00 36 43 -7 -16%
    98FM Dublin Talks 10.00-12.00 34 33 1 3%
    98FM Barry Dunne 12.00-16.00 48 43 5 12%
    98FM Big Ride Home 16.00-19.00 29 37 -8 -22%
    98FM Brian Maher 19.00-21.00 10 9 1 11%

Ya, writing on the wall really for Foley. The only thing is I can imagine the meetings the day after JNLRs over the last year (they were making slow but steady gains before then) and management saying this isn't good enough, need to raise your game. Foley - no problem boss, just let us cut all the sh1t you're making us do and allow us make the type of radio for which we have a great track record. Mgmt - nah, just do more competitions, songs are boring prerecorded interviews with nobodies.
    Tbh I'd say the lads are somewhat relieved it's over. Fairly disappointed Adelle couldn't/wouldn't pull strings to loosen up the format.
    Also not looking great for Quilty either....

• Advertisement

Ya, writing on the wall really for Foley. The only thing is I can imagine the meetings the day after JNLRs over the last year (they were making slow but steady gains before then) and management saying this isn't good enough, need to raise your game. Foley - no problem boss, just let us cut all the sh1t you're making us do and allow us make the type of radio for which we have a great track record. Mgmt - nah, just do more competitions, songs are boring prerecorded interviews with nobodies.
    Tbh I'd say the lads are somewhat relieved it's over. Fairly disappointed Adelle couldn't/wouldn't pull strings to loosen up the format.

Also interesting figure is the best of Foley on Saturday was only 24k down from 40k year on year. The best of the Stawberry was 89k. Both same time slot on Sat. To me this say more than the weekday results.

Yes Quilty is a bad fit for 98fm - should be on Spin or late evenings

Damn, when your midday show is 12,000 ahead of your Breakfast show, and 19,000 ahead of your Drivetime show, you've got problems...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

On those numbers it appears Ray Foley had only accidental listeners and of course the fan boys from this thread ;)

On a side but relevant note, if a radio presenter listens to their own show / podcasts etc is that aural masturbation?

Just listened to the last podcast. Bit disappointed with it to be honest, thought there was far more pomp and ceremony when leaving Today FM whereas here they just went out with a bit of a whimper (obviously circumstances behind the scenes were different as they more than likely chose to leave Today FM but were more than likely told they were leaving 98 but even so...).

Was funny though when they were getting in the texts and were like "We're getting literally 10's of texts, we'll take these into the boss' office and say 'Here! Look at these numbers!'". :pac:

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just listened to the last podcast. Bit disappointed with it to be honest, thought there was far more pomp and ceremony when leaving Today FM whereas here they just went out with a bit of a whimper (obviously circumstances behind the scenes were different as they more than likely chose to leave Today FM but were more than likely told they were leaving 98 but even so...).

Was funny though when they were getting in the texts and were like "We're getting literally 10's of texts, we'll take these into the boss' office and say 'Here! Look at these numbers!'". :pac:

Probably better off listening to the whole show on Listen Back to be honest, the podcast didn't do it justice. It was 3 and a half hours of completely off-playlist tunes with the lads just chatting in between, really enjoyed it. Elbow, Prodigy etc. Loved that part with the texts and slamming the numbers on the bosses desk, least they can take the piss out of themselves.

I think they did the goodbye as well as they could. They clearly didn't want to have all that pomp and ceremony, completely different situations, TodayFM they left it with the highest ratings ever for that timeslot (its fallen around 30,000+ since then) to do something different, whereas 98FM had some ups but mainly chucking buckets of water off a sinking ship and the water beat them in the end. Think that is why they did their goodbyes a few days earlier to get them out of the way. I think it reached a point where, like Ray said, he just couldn't do it anymore and it had taken its toll and 98FM HAD to try something different because clearly what they were doing wasn't working. With the sinking ship that is 98FM at the moment it was probably best for both parties, but the last 6-10 months of the show we were all commenting on here that, despite the odd excellent show, they didn't seem to be enjoying it as much.

As for 98FM, said it in the JNLR thread, don't see any end in sight, replacing the highly formatted breakfast show they had Foley doing with the same highly formatted show "Cooper and Luke" are doing, with added music, doesn't seem like it will save them.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

After 11 years of Foley did we ever actually find out what really happened at the Christmas party in 2005? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

There's also the other side to that, if they indulged him too much they could have lost the listeners they had, the podcast stuff was always good but for every person who liked Foley or his show 3 more liked The Strawberry Alarm Clock. Foley said a few times breakfast is about consistency, people want news at the hour, song, funny bit, etc... In order every morning. Hard to move the goalposts too much.

Ray probably wanted to leave by the end and it was a mutual decision. He would probably have been more successful anywhere else in the schedule, I could imagine him in the Dublin Talks slot just playing music and having the chats and being better than breakfast.

New show is exactly what it is, a new show. One positive is the name, now it's a brand things like the morning crew was. I remember listening to one 738am podcast with Dave Moore, he explained in fuzzy details how he would up on breakfast there, seemed to be alota research involved finding someone new and talented. Not sure how much was done this time round, one problem I find is the two guys seem interchangeable. No funny man or sidekick gimmick for good or bad but if that's the case just have one presenter and a producer maybe who occasionally joins in. See how they develop.

Barry is keeping it consistent, wonder if they'd move him to drive to boost numbers or is he suited to where he is as a housewives favourite or background in the office.

If I was the incoming CEO at Today FM I would look at the afternoon figures, 94,000 is not good enough for a daytime slot on a national station, 2FM far ahead of them there. Would really love to see the lads back at Today FM at some stage and perfect slot for them.

One of the best podcasts they did at 98FM:
    https://soundcloud.com/rayfoleyshow/the-ray-foley-show-podcast-12

Wasn't that Adelle's job? Either she has been promoted or she left?

http://ie.radiotodayjobs.com/job/assistant-programme-creative-director/

• Advertisement

Wasn't that Adelle's job? Either she has been promoted or she left?

http://ie.radiotodayjobs.com/job/assistant-programme-creative-director/

Advertisement