Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

soc160 wrote: »
    There's also the other side to that, if they indulged him too much they could have lost the listeners they had, the podcast stuff was always good but for every person who liked Foley or his show 3 more liked The Strawberry Alarm Clock. Foley said a few times breakfast is about consistency, people want news at the hour, song, funny bit, etc... In order every morning. Hard to move the goalposts too much.

Ray probably wanted to leave by the end and it was a mutual decision. He would probably have been more successful anywhere else in the schedule, I could imagine him in the Dublin Talks slot just playing music and having the chats and being better than breakfast.

New show is exactly what it is, a new show. One positive is the name, now it's a brand things like the morning crew was. I remember listening to one 738am podcast with Dave Moore, he explained in fuzzy details how he would up on breakfast there, seemed to be alota research involved finding someone new and talented. Not sure how much was done this time round, one problem I find is the two guys seem interchangeable. No funny man or sidekick gimmick for good or bad but if that's the case just have one presenter and a producer maybe who occasionally joins in. See how they develop.

Barry is keeping it consistent, wonder if they'd move him to drive to boost numbers or is he suited to where he is as a housewives favourite or background in the office.

On the consistency thing - I think they could have been consistent (in the way you describe) without being as tightly formatted as they were. Sure, they HAVE to do news, traffic, sport, weather at a certain time each hour, but for me what killed the show was the fact it was just "bit" after "bit" after "bit". Too many competitions, too many games (I've long been a proponent of scrapping Eh, Yeah, OK). They could have done the stuff a breakfast show should do as well as doing what made them popular in the first place. If they miss playing a song here and there what harm as long as the chat that takes its place was entertaining and they still hit the signposts (can't think of a better word for news and traffic, but signposts work, y'know the stuff people use to sort of instinctively know if they're late or not).

But yeah, this has all be said before. S'just a shame really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

How in the name of God can Phil Cawley be up 8k listeners. It just doesn't make sense and makes me question all the JNLR figures :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 corcaigh_abu

IUA14 wrote: »
    Wasn't that Adelle's job? Either she has been promoted or she left?

Only 2 years of radio experience required for Assistant Programme Director, no wonder 98 is in the dumps.
    I mean if they're replacing Adelle, she had like 10 years? coming into the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Only 2 years of radio experience required for Assistant Programme Director, no wonder 98 is in the dumps.
    I mean if they're replacing Adelle, she had like 10 years? coming into the job.

One would imagine they promoted her but her is to hoping herself, Ray and JP are all free agents.

Foley's fitness kick has got an end goal it seems: https://twitter.com/rayfoleyshow/status/695541599384793088

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

looking forward to hearing Ray back on radio sooner then you might imagine, im sure. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

looking forward to hearing Ray back on radio sooner then you might imagine, im sure. :cool:

You tease
    National or local?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

looking forward to hearing Ray back on radio sooner then you might imagine, im sure.

You might as well share the rumour RIFL; isn't this forum built on them? :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is it a rumour? That looks like a pure guess/sweeping statement.

Loughc wrote: »
    Is it a rumour? That looks like a pure guess/sweeping statement.

Tomayto-tomahto on this forum tbh. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

I think Foley will pop up on 2fm in months to come as a locum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think Foley will pop up on 2fm in months to come as a locum

I think he would fit in well on either 2fm or Today FM possible on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Hmmm, after how much he used to slag off 2FM would they be willing to take him?

Ah now thats just cruel...share the rumour or informed opinion!

I'm hoping he is back on soon...think he would be a much better fit at Today FM than 2FM given their recent changes. My guess is definitely national, can't see him going to another Dublin station, which given his family life in Dublin, would be the only option. Will he end up doing a more serious show with this Masters he is getting/got in journalism tho? Hope not!

Saw he took the piss out of himself on the Seven O'Clock show on Friday when Muireann was talking about the sleep study and saying genetics can determine if you are a morning person or no to which Ray replied "that explains then why I was so terrible on mornings on the radio"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

stannis wrote: »
    Hmmm, after how much he used to slag off 2FM would they be willing to take him?

Did he slag them off that much? I know he mentioned a while back bring offered a job in 2fm a while back but he turned it down because he said 2fm had no identity at the time. Maybe he's liking the new 2. I'm sure he wants to get back on radio as well even if it wasn't his first choice its still national.

Didn't realise Adelle has been at 98FM nearly two years now as Assistant PD, with her position being advertised does anyone think its more likely she is leaving aswell, rather than moving up? Given how much she seemed to enjoy the podcast-only bits with the lads when she got them back doing them, and how she produced the Naked Breakfast and the the live events I wouldn't be surprised if she missed having a hands on producer role...maybe team up with Foley again...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Maybe he's liking the new 2.

Or not working has softened his resolve against it, more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

I guess the main problem is there are no gaps at 2fm? I know people hate the current breakfast show and maybe with the TV work they are all getting they will move on I don't see Rté wanting to change get that.

I guess the main problem is there are no gaps at 2fm? I know people hate the current breakfast show and maybe with the TV work they are all getting they will move on I don't see Rté wanting to change get that.

Don't see Ray doing another breakfast show, certainly not a 6-10 show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

IUA14 wrote: »
    Don't see Ray doing another breakfast show, certainly not a 6-10 show.

In retrospect remaining with Today FM might have been advisable. Really no room for him on 2fm.

With the figures that certain shows on Today Fm are doing I'm sure Ray can name his slot and return looking at the figures he done previously! Give him back lunch times and let him be the king again is what I'd do. Neither D & D or KC could recreate his figures despite been extremely talented broadcasters! You could probably put foley back on lunch with the EXACT same features he was doing when he left for 12 months easyily and the figures would soar!

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    You could probably put foley back on lunch with the EXACT same features he was doing when he left for 12 months easyily and the figures would soar!

Would they tho? Have tastes not changed from when Foley was last on at lunchtime? I'm a massive fan of Foley and the old lunchtime show but I don't think he'd make much of an impact as you'd think these days.

His stint as 98fm has damaged him a bit and radio as a whole is on a serious decline.

I think he'd be better off doing his own podcast show and (more regular) blog and see where it goes from there.

heybaby wrote: »
    In retrospect remaining with Today FM might have been advisable. Really no room for him on 2fm.

I dunno. They'd been on lunchtimes for 7 years or so. There was really nowhere for them to go on Today FM other than stay put because Dempsey's figures are good and he seems to have no intention of retiring yet (not a criticism btw, just in case that's how it comes across). They've said they were bored with lunchtimes, and if they'd stayed I think there's a high likelihood that they'd have stopped enjoying the show and that would have come across on air.

While a Dublin radio station was a risk (for all the well discussed reasons), I genuinely think it was the best move they could have made at the time. They didn't burn bridges with Communicorp by jumping ship to a competitor, they got to try out Breakfast radio, an.d even now you'd find it hard to say that there's a station out there that "wouldn't" potentially have them

wnolan1992 wrote: »

While a Dublin radio station was a risk (for all the well discussed reasons), I genuinely think it was the best move they could have made at the time. They didn't burn bridges with Communicorp by jumping ship to a competitor, they got to try out Breakfast radio, an.d even now you'd find it hard to say that there's a station out there that "wouldn't" potentially have them

Sure they are still paying their wages so I can't see them
    Been too upset with the latest developments

Loughc wrote: »
    Would they tho? Have tastes not changed from when Foley was last on at lunchtime? I'm a massive fan of Foley and the old lunchtime show but I don't think he'd make much of an impact as you'd think these days.

His stint as 98fm has damaged him a bit and radio as a whole is on a serious decline.

I think he'd be better off doing his own podcast show and (more regular) blog and see where it goes from there.

I don't think they will go back to lunchtimes, been there done that. I do think that they would still do very well back on lunchtimes, D&D have a similar tone to their show, but not as entertaining in my opinion, so I do think it would be a success, they finished up with 33,000 more listeners than TodayFM have on lunchtime at the moment.

I don't think his stint on 98FM has overly damaged him, it was a flagging station when D&D were on drive time and they have done alright out of it. Not too sure about the radio is in decline part, figures in general are pretty steady for radio as a media consumed by public.

Podcast and blogging won't pay the bills tho, I would love both to happen because I do miss the lads but I think he will pop up somewhere before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

In fairness D&D also had number one breakfast for a while and once they moved off that things went south for the station so they got a move to today fm on merit.

I don't see Ray going back to today fm either really. Not because he does want to do lunchtime, I think he'd do a good job again, has a big following outside dublin and is genuinely talented presenter. Just don't think Today FM would want him back, it's all very upmarket these days, well it always was in a sense but Ray would probably be a bit risky for their brand.

On another note is Adele gone back to Today FM as assistant programme director?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Ray and MOC presenting the 7 o'clock show tonight.

https://twitter.com/rayfoleyshow/status/698219919880617984

I don't see Ray going back to today fm either really. Not because he does want to do lunchtime, I think he'd do a good job again, has a big following outside dublin and is genuinely talented presenter. Just don't think Today FM would want him back, it's all very upmarket these days, well it always was in a sense but Ray would probably be a bit risky for their brand.

On another note is Adele gone back to Today FM as assistant programme director?

I don't know about that really, same as it always was in tone I think, lineup has changed but generally same vibe. Just don't think they would want to go back to lunchtimes, and D&D wont be moving on anytime soon. The one slot that could be up for grabs is Louise Duffy...not preforming well. Would like to see them in that slot.

Not sure on Adelle, only know her position at 98FM was advertised, not sure if she left or got promoted. Wouldn't be surprised if she went back to Today FM...she had spent most of her life there and very well thought of, her work at 98FM with the Naked Breakfast etc. would have just enhanced her reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

With the figures that certain shows on Today Fm are doing I'm sure Ray can name his slot and return looking at the figures he done previously! Give him back lunch times and let him be the king again is what I'd do. Neither D & D or KC could recreate his figures despite been extremely talented broadcasters! You could probably put foley back on lunch with the EXACT same features he was doing when he left for 12 months easyily and the figures would soar!

Ray is talented and all, but I really don't think he could name his slot/price at a regional station, let alone Today FM. He really isn't as big a name as he was 3 or 4 years ago. Being off the telly for the few years and not on a national station wouldn't have helped.

I'd really love if he started up NTN again, or a brand new podcast. Throw in a bit of freelance writing/blog stuff alongside that and the TV work and you could probably manage okay like. If he's working on his MA, that might be the handiest way to do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Ray and MOC presenting the 7 o'clock show tonight.

https://twitter.com/rayfoleyshow/status/698219919880617984

Christ ray is shedding weight at some rate. Muireann is looking unreal I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

According to Ray's Twitter page he'll be doing to the seven o clock show every Friday night. I like that news. Hopefully himself and muireann are a permanent couple on the show. They did great tonight.

Advertisement